oystla Member
  • Member since Apr 19th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oystla

Hi Ruby,

On the issue of energy density, it really depends on the definition.

Yes - a traditional Nuclear Reactor has a very high energy density.

BUT if we start doing calculations on actual net land area requirements we get the following numbers:

In the US the official number from Nuclear industry is an average of 1,3 Square miles pr. 1000 MW power for the US plants. If we use SI units we get 3328 M2 pr. MW for a nuclear plant.

I assume this is the total fenced of area for the nuclear plants, where no man or animals can roam around.

Now then: A modern 4,2 MW land based wind turbine may have a base of 7m in diameter, which means we get ONLY some 9 M2 pr. MW for a wind turbine. And there is no further fencing of the turbine. On a farmland the animals may go straight up to the turbine base.

Yes, I know; The wind does not always blow. BUT in a large interconnected grid, the wind ALWAYS blows somewhere, which solve that problem of intermittency. AND with a capacity factor of 30%, we still get 18 m2/MW - far far better energy density than Nuclear.

So, the Nuclear industry loves to talk about energy density, but Wind turbines is far far more energy dens, when compared to the fenced off land area requirement,

Actually also solar power plants is not extremely less power dense than a Nuclear Plant: Rule of thumb 9300 M2 pr. MW solar power. And for the new Bifacial panels we can reduce the number to 7400 M2 pr. MW. And the efficiency will improve further.

But again, as I said before the latest technology is solar power combined with farmland, either as raised up in the air, or panels place Vertical as fences with farmland in between.

So in principle Solar power can be the most power dense energy source if designed accordingly.

This is WHY I am optimistic that Solar Power especially and Wind power AND energy storage will absolutely win the future (IF not LENR happens that is ;) )

Only with massive subsidizes. The belief of yours doesn't explain, why for example wind plants in Germany won't generate enough of money for their scrapping even after decades of run..

Richard Feynman(?): "Shut up and calculate!"

Zephir, I will be happy to answer all your questions. And there are a lot of myths roaming around on the internet unfortunately….

1. First of all, when I said "energy pay back time" it has nothing to do with cost or subsidies.

This is the amount of time a wind turbine or a solar panel has to produce energy to pay back all the energy that went into making the turbine or solar power, from mining the minerals to constructing the plant.

And today we talk months rather than years for renewables.

2. Regarding dismantling old power plants, this is the same issue as with any power plants, coal fired or nuclear.

Politics has to be in place to demand the owners to set aside a yearly amount of money to secure that dismantling is covered at the end of life time.

I think we have seen numerous of examples where old decommissioned nuclear plants have had to be covered by tax payers because the owners did not have that requirement in place from day one.

Outside Norway where I live we have a number of old oil producing platforms. Should any of the oil companies go bancrupt these days of low oil price, it will probably be up to the state and tax payers to remove the platforms at the end, if no other private companies where to buy them…

3. On the issue of subsidies, you should note the present popular method of issuing contracts to renewables. This is done the last 5 years as PPA = Power Purchase Agreement, and when a governnment buys, the PPA is often oficial numbers.

The latest Offshore Wind power Projects outside UK is going at an long term PPA at close to market price of electrical power (Around 40 UK Pounds/MWhr).

The ongoing UK Nuclear Power project Hinkley Point has a long term PPA of now above 100 UK Pounds/MWhr and inflation adjusted for 30 years.

The reason for the fast decline in Wind power costs has been the growth of the turbines. The largest one now under testing in Netherlands 12 MW size offshore turbine, while for 20 years ago the largest was some 2 MW size…

And in a few years we will get 20 MW turbines that bring the cost down further.

So you see, subsidies for solar and wind is mostly something of the past, the cost have now come down to subsidy free power….

I just watched this whole movie, and I'm too devastated to say anything. It's a negative portrait alright, one that matches what is at stake. The sad part is, we're out of time, the damage is already piled up exponentially. I can only hope cold fusion comes through soon.

I have also watched the movie, but most of it is incorrect.

I do agree on biofuel and biomass, which I consider is not an environmental sustainable solution. So I'm optimistic of a future of solar and wind, if not LENR arrives on the stage.

1. Energy payback time for wind and solar is now months, i.e. Wind and solar is VERY environmental friendly. After a few months they are CO2 negative rest of lifetime.

We know wind turbines kills birds, but this is less of a problem in offshore turbines. Cats is a bigger threat against birds.

2. There will always be crooks in the world that wants to exploit the globe for money and dont care about nature, also within renewable businesses. But that does not mean the technology is bad.

3. Denmark is now developing a 20 MW offshore wind turbine which do not use rare earths in the generator. So the technology is getting even more environmental friendly.

4. Solar power technology is improving, so 20 year old panels cannot be compared to todays technology.

5. Everyone can agree that cutting down forest to install solar panels is stupid. Solar panels should be installed also in deserts in an environmental friendly way, i.e. plants and solar plants can live side by side.

6. Installing solar panels on building roofs and office facades should be a win win both for owners and the globe as solar is getting REALLY cheap.

7. Electric cars are 80-90% efficient, while a gasoline car only use 20 to 25% of the gasoline for propulsion, rest is heat losses. Even with a grid based on natural gas or coal it is better with electric cars, especially for local smog and NOX pollution.

8. Traditional nuclear power is way too expensive, ref UK Hinkley Point project, and the absolutely INSANE electricity price to be offered.

9. The newest ideas for solar now is Bifacial solar panels lifted up of the ground, so it can be installed on farms so you can both do farming and have solar plants side by side. Panels should also be able to lifted above ground in deserts, so you avoid removing plants beneath.

To conclude: The movie mostly shows how crooks can take advantage of renewable business, but this is not the renewable future that is being built now.

what should be noted is

- there are several flu virus versions around. The vaccines may or may not cover all virus versions. Therefore you may still get the flu Even after vaccination.

- flu virus versions evolves and changes from year to year. That is why your protection weakens from year to year after you have had the flu.

- vaccines changes from year to year to keep up with changes in the flu viruses.

And that is why a yearly shot of flu vaccine is a way of reducing the risk getting the flu. But there is no guarantee.

I am also confused.

Confused why Ascoli and Huxley cannot understand that to do boil off, you would have to know FIRST If the Palladium Cathode is LENR active or not.

And to find which Palladium cathodes are LENR active, you would NOT just jump to boil off, but OF COURSE do more controlled calorimetry experiments.

So, boil off is NOT used to prove LENR, but an EXTENSION of LENR at higher temperatures in wet Pd/D cells.

That is what Fleischmann and P. did. First electrolysis at low temepratures identified the active palladium cathodes. Then they extended the experiments to other territories.

And that is what google could do, but then they should use dusins of parallell Runs at low temps and ensures the loading is good, and the other identified requirements, like current density etc....

Now then, when they find the Active ones, they could drive them to boil off and check If excess heat increase further, as hypothesized and claimed in experiment by F&P.

The Coolescence test was a possible comfirmation that LENR do not cause or produce energetic particles, just as other tests from other researchers have indicated. So that part of SPAWAR, the CR39 results was in conflict with other LENR research.

What Cooloescence did NOT test was excess heat (with co-dep), which is the most important issue in LENR.

Well that's a bummer! Check out the Coolescence website showing a variety of failed replications including SPAWAR's C39 work being artifacts. Thanks to Ed Storms for pointing this out - maybe this just leaves the Takahashi group's work then, assuming they are willing to supply the complex nano structured Pd/Ni/ZrO or Cu/NI/ZrO catalytic materials. Coolescence ran for a few years with an expert team investigating LENR but achieved absolutely no positive results.

http://www.Coolescence.com

The coolescence website only refer to replication of the CR39 tracks, not excess heat measurments. So I think exces heat in co-dep is more important than to conclude if charged particles or not occurs in LENR as supposed by SPAWAR in CR39.

There appears to be a consensus forming around the Takahashi, SPAWAR experiments...does everyone agree? Note: I did not add Mizuno, because Trevithick asked us not to consider. He will get the info he needs on that at Assisi next month.

If you agree we are approaching a consensus, then maybe it will be more productive from now on to hold those two up as the gold standard for contending experiments to be measured against? If someone thinks there is a stronger candidate, then present your argument to the forum. Go category by category and explain the; type, quality, replication history, publications, availability of research data, accessibility to the author/s, and how each compare to, or exceeds the gold standards?

In the end, if Takahashi/SPAWAR survives against all challengers, TG will have our final choices (we get 3, so we can add another) for what we believe will give them the best chance to prove LENR. If not, we have 3 better choices. Win-win.

On Takahashi, is it this we talk about?

http://coldfusioncommunity.net…CF21AkitoTakahashippt.pdf

It reminds me of the Mitchell Schwartz Nanor device, both seems to be composites of ZrO2,Ni, Pd loaded with Deturerium.....

So why not also include Schwartz here...

Bulk Pd/D has multiple successful (according to most here) replications by independent groups. Therefore:

(1) It cannot be too difficult

(2) Whatever it is appears to exist.

Huxley, you should read a litle more what F&P themselves stated .

During the 80's they had to run many parallell cells, in the hope that one of them indicated burst of heat after weeks of electrolysis.

In their later work I believe it was 1 of 8 cells that showed exces heat Events.

So, no, bulk Pd/D is not straight forward tests.

And You you would NEVER go straight to boil off experiment before identifying cathodes that had proven excess heat allready at lower temps.

Also, SPAWAR cells can go wrong. Researchers that fx started off with too high current got codeposition that flaked and falled off the electrode. So If they started very carefully, low current for a period, the co-dep had improved success rate compared to F&P cells.

Performing Gas phase research may be easier (I'm not fully convinced), but is the excess heat conditions easily reproducible? We will see on the success rate of the Mizuno recipe.

I just think Szpak and Mosier-Boss did som wonderful creative work on CF at SPAWAR and deserves more attention on replication attempts.

I agree with @oystia, the SPAWAR research is probably the most likely to yield positive results if replicated by TG - and I would suggest TG repeat not just one of their experiments but every experiment they have ever published. With further experiments to chase down interesting leads/anomalies etc. Such a comprehensive study would firmly establish LENR as the energy source to be developed for future generations!:)

and it is OYSTLA for Øystein Lande 🤓

Interesting to note that Stan Szpak and Pamela Boss did actually try Nickel Mesh and Palladium at SPAWAR.

This was a test of using an IR Camera to observe thermal events on the mesh in their co-deposition research where Pd and D was deposited on Nickel Mesh.

And Lo & behold! , there where thermal spots indicating excess heat events taking place in various spots on the mesh.

So again I would suggest Google to look into the SPAWAR research. It was more reproducible than most of the other LENR research.

ref.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There are many criterias to be fulfilled for F&P type LENR, many identified, and some criterias not yet fully identified and understood. That is why the sucessrate was low.

But again, to my knowledge the SPAWAR co-deposition studies gave better LENR reproducibility than F&P style and if google havent tried this allready, they absolutely should.

Wrong.

"Positive feedback" would only be relevant for the cells that have been first identified as having active LENR, in accordance with my procedure above.

you still dont get it ?

If F&P effect was easy to replicate it would no longer be a mystery.

To my memory the best they achieved was 1 of 8 cells indicating LENR. But you will find info on this if you bother to investigate a litle are stop being lazy.

So again: Many parallell F&P Runs must be set up for any hope of one or a few to show excess heat Events. And you would of course start with the easy tests of electrolysis Below Boiling to identify these.

That is why I suggested the SPAWAR co deposition tests a better option for google , which had a higer rate of success.

https://www.researchgate.net/p…_Fleischmann-_Pons_Effect

That is beceause you have not read or understood the whole story.

F&P managed to get at best "only" one of 8 electrolytic cells to show active LENR.

So you do NEED to find what cells are active and which is not active before you try more advanced tests like the boil off.

And the way of finding active cells is to test many parallell cells like 20 off for weeks at temperatures below boiling and identify by excess heat or bursts of heat.

same BS again.

Anyone trying F&P Pd/D system MUST set up 10 or 20 parallell cells and hope one or more of them show signs of heat bursts according to the F&P Seminal paper of 1990.

The cells that prove signs of active LENR i.e. heat burst, may the used to test their 1992 hypothesis of larger excess heat at higher temepratures.

But hey, they do not need to because their first test according to 1990 proved the LENR phenomenon.

The recent Mizuno experiment is an obvious one.

And I think the SPAWAR rsearch was good and should be tried.

For other I would suggest google should discuss the matter with Mitchell Swartz and Peter Hagelstein, which would have some very good suggestions I believe.

And you did not get my point.

No one should do boil off test before they know for sure they have a Pd/D cell that actually produce excess heat.

So they would have to first test according to F&P 1990 paper.

And f they acihieve positive result by F&P original experiment, they have allready proven LENR and do not need boil off, since that was only an extension to prove increased excess at elevated temperatures.