oystla Member
  • Member since Apr 19th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oystla

PS

Are you able to answer the above question highlighted in red?

So you started by the bold and earth shattering claim of "it doesn't account for the vapor carried out by the bubbles directly produced by boiling!", which would be devastating to all of F&P's work.

May be you did not understand the ramification of your claim?

You mean you tried to read the 1992 paper again and did not understand it?

Or tried to read the seminal 1990 paper and did not understand where the term for vapor is included?

What about reading the Wilson critique from 1992. He explains the terms well ;)

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/l…AnalysisOfExperiments.pdf

Or while you are at it you could also read the Fleischmann reply to Wilson, where F&P explains further the calorimeter enthalpy balance :)

http://www.newenergytimes.com/…schmannM-SomeComments.pdf

Or just take a course in Electrochemical calorimetry

Lande, are you really a chemical process engineer?

Please, can you explain the physical meaning of the second term (the one with P, P* and L) in the numerator of the formula [4] included in my previous post (1), so that I too can understand how good was my comment and laugh with (or of) you?

(1) https://www.lenr-forum.com/forum/thread/5850-f-p-s-experiments-%E2%80%93-30-years-after-cf-announcement/?postID=106281#post106281

Are you serious ^^:D ?

Ascoli just found the reason for F&P's "Excess Heat" calculations since the 1980's: They forgot to include the energy term for water vapor produced in their mathematical model for the calorimeter ^^:D.

Why are you bothering doing this "research" when you do not understand electrochemistry ?

I suggest you read the paper once more.

Or even better, you could read their Major paper on the subject, the 1990 paper (1) . You see the term for water vapor would always be required, also for their work below boiling ;)

(1) https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmancalorimetr.pdf

Please Ascoli, do not try to be an electrochemist 😉

And there is a difference in mathematical theoretical calculations and practical measurements.

By making theoretical calculations we may identify the borders and expected results.

Anyhow:

P is partial pressure which applies to the cell temperature; P* is the atmospheric pressure and L is the enthalpy of evaporation of D2O.

I.e you are wrong If you understand the above 😉

The suggestion that Fleischmann forgot the vapor from Boiling in his mathematics is the best comment so far 🤣😅😜

Haha, and how is Klee Irwin going to prove that potential commercial CF / LENR products is violating his patent ;)

Their method to calculate the evaporation by means of the saturation pressure, was totally inadequate, even though it provided a less erroneous estimation of the time required to boil-off half of the water mass. It's not just me who affirm this. Lonchampt explained the reason for this inadequateness"

you misunderstand the point made by both F&P and Lonchampt.

Lonchampt referred to the water vapor pressure, not the atmospheric pressure. There is no problem in measuring atmospheric pressure accurately at three decimals, 0,966 bar vs. 0,953 bar.

Lonchampt use the term with saturation pressure up to 99 degC, but above 99 degC, they instead choose to calculate the energy to evaporate the total amount of water.

And by the way, it is interesting that also Lonchampt show a general trend of increased excess heat at higher temperatures :)

But as a theoretical approach the vapor pressure term would be included at all temperatures,as F&P showed in their more advanced mathematical approach. And F&P proved mathematically in their figure 7 that at atmospheric pressure of 0,953 bar the Kr (the heat transfer coefficient) calculated would have to gradually reduce 8 hrs before totally empty cell and. In such case the cell would have to be half full 2,5 hrs before empty.

They argue that this approach is unlikely, since the heat transfer coefficient did not show marked reductions hrs before Boiling and it meant there would be no Boiling the last period (Boiling would reduce the time to empty), and the measured atmospheric pressure where higher than 0,953 bar

Their major paper ?

I thought we just agreed that the 21 pages 1992 paper is an important paper on road to practical implementation of Cold fusion utilization in society, I.e. it proved the increase of Power and energy densities at elevated temperature.

F&P used the years after 1990 to identifiy possible ways of increased excess energy for practical applications.

But the major F&P paper in the science of Cold Fusion, is the 58 pages 1990 paper (1) , and there should be no doubt.

(1) https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmancalorimetr.pdf

And Again you are wrong.

The document (1) as you describe yourself is mainly dedicated to cell calibratiuons, i.e. heat transfer. And that is also the main point.

The video where used as a separate source of information. If they used too low atmospheric pressure the cell would have to be half empty 2,5 hrs before visual empty from the video. But that would again lead to conclude a heat transfer coefficient that gradually reduced, which was not observed in their calibrations.

So using atmosferic pressure as measured was the likely correct approach.

But as Fleischmann states in (1), The actual true result will be somewhere between 2,5 hrs and 10 minutes boiling, as stated above, but closest to the 10 minutes, ref figure below.

And in any case excess heat would be concluded.

(1) https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanthermalbeh.pdf

I agree with you: too much is made of this paper. I don't give it the importance Ascoli does. BUT - equally - from the reaction here of you and others it seems that you give it great importance, in which case ascoli's argument for it being important is at least half justified.

From my POV if LENR is real it is very difficult to see how 30 year old early experiments could have results anything like as significant as many replications (some careful) and other related results. In any normal field they would be forgotten by now except as a pioneering attempt.

The real issue is why further research and replication over 30 years has not already nailed the matter so that errors, if they exist, are known and referenced.

When Ascoli spreads misinformation outside this forum and presents it as facts, not as his opinion, I need to react and provide some counter arguments.

And the real issue in my opinion is: After 1989 the field of cold fusion was in real need to develop theories to explain the effect, and perform required test of theories to converge into some explanations and bring the field into clarity.

But the nuclear physics community threw the field into darkness in 1989. So there was no theorists except Hagelstein and a few others that used time on this field, and even less money that could be spent on testing theories.

So the only thing happening in the field was new experimental science to figure out what could work by trial end error.

And to this day we know some of the conditions that will make the excess heat appear in deuterium-palladium systems.

But I still believe we need to find the explanatory theory to get LENR into real practical applications.

Now then, Brullioun have managed to get LENR working by trial and error, but COP of 3 is too low. They need to find higher levels.

A right theory would resolve all of these issues, no more need for trial and error approach.

Ascoli: " ....conclusion, this 2006 publication confirms that the 1992 boil-off experiment is the most important of F&P and it seems to be the only one of interest for practical applications.."

Well, you confuse two vital points in this science.

1. Practical applications for use in society

2. Papers that try to understand the causes and mechanism of LENR / cold fusion.

F&P where very clear of their Intentions allready in 1989: their plans was to engineer a practical system that could compete with the normal nuclear power stations in producing practical power. Also as proven by their Patent from 1990. You do not spend huge sums of money on patents If you have no commercial intentions.

So for practical applications, the 1992 paper was of importance, since that was their intentions of their reearch in France, and the paper describes their experiment in that direction.

But for the science of CF/LENR it is not the important one. The seminal paper of 1990 will and always will be the most important Scientific F&P paper.

And it will be understanding the science behind LENR that will rewarded the Nobel price, not engineering a practical system for utility.

Ascoli; "the video prevails on any other consideration, and lead them to reduce from 2.5 hours to 11 minutes their estimation of the time required to boil half of the water content of the cel"

You forgot what they stated in te paper ;)

"The first value (ATM P=0,953 bar) has been chosen to give a smooth evaporation of the cell contents (M0 = 5.0 D2O) i.e., no boiling during the period up to the point when the cell be- comes dry, 50,735 s. However, this particular mode of operation would have required the cell to have been half-full at a time 2.3 hrs before dryness. Furthermore, the ambient pressure at that time was 0.966 bars. We believe therefore that such a mode of operation must be excluded. For the second value of the pressure, 0.97 bars, the cell would have become half empty 11 minutes before dryness, as observed from the video recordings (see the next section) and this in turn requires a period of intense boiling during the last 11 minutes. It can be seen that the heat transfer coefficient k  decreases gradually for the assumed condition P = 0.953 bars whereas it stays more nearly constant for P = 0.97 up to the time at which the cell is half-full, followed by a very rapid fall to marked negative values. These marked negative values naturally are an expression of the high rates of enthalpy generation required to explain the rapid boiling during the last 11 minutes of operation. The true behaviour must be close to that calculated for this value of the ambient pressure.

"

As they proved there was no such gradually decreasing heat transfer coefficient, and since the atmospheric pressure was close to 0,97 bar, your belief of half full 2,5 hrs before empty are completely wrong.

And Ascoli blows up graphs to insane proportions and think it is a good analysis.

While the Hansen report use the raw data which where made available for them.

Let's see - who to trust? an evaluation based on raw data, or and evaluation based on blowing up graphs and watching fuzzy videos 🤓 ?

Very interesting.

And particularly that cells with H2O does not show any heat after death as with D2O.

The difference in behaviour between H2O and D2O is a very strong evidence of something interesting is going on.

Link directly to paper

http://coldfusioncommunity.net…f/ICCF-4/v2/8_ICCF4-2.pdf

And for the 30 year anniversary, we may enjoy this rare interview from December 1989.

There they mention the major discovery of heat bursts and their preparation of the definitive major paper , that was released in 1990, and that has been known as their seminal paper of this new science 😎

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ascoli: "...small excess heat of 15% (about the 4% of the value claimed by F&P"

Not that small 😉. But you did not get my point.

If the excess heat over some 10 hrs are 15%, and we know from the paper that excess heat are a few percent at lower temperatures, then it is not unlikely that most of the 15% excess was released during the last 10 minutes, meaning 15% over 10 hrs can be equivalent to very very large excess heat during the last 10 minutes.

Ascoli: " ......using the coarse data available on the F&P paper"

You critisize me for using coarse data, while your method of blowing up graphs to insane proprtions are valid ?

Excuse me for 😅😂🤣🤣😂

Ascoli: "There is no way to estimate a half hour time from a graph whose single pixel has a duration of 1h40m "

We know the timestamp on when the cell was dry, and correlation with the last dip in temperature on the graph and when the graph indicates the end, I confirmed by measuring the graph (same method as you 😋) that the refill was around 11:30+/- , and behold the video confirms timestamp 11:30.

And We know they refilled the cells once a day, so refills was done at 11:30 😀

The role of scentific papers is scientific communication. It is used to communicate the research results, to preserve scientific knowledge, it serves as a mean of communication among researchers so as to generate a dialogue between them.

Could there be errors? Of course, and further research and replications will at the end reveal possible errors. In this case, the replications have been performed on F&P original discovery, i.e. At temperatures Below Boiling, and they are too many positives to be ignored. You make too much out of this Boiling paper😉

1. Your refute where only your thoughts, no evidence of errors

2. " So, your Energy Budget calculation would show that F&P were 96% wrong (the percentage difference between their 385% and your 15%)."

Well, your are wrong. F&P calculated ove the last 10 minutes, while I calculated over 10 hrs. And since I show an increase of energy and power density at higher temperatures, both F&P and myself may be correct, its just math ;)

3. "you took the initial time of 11:30 from the video still on Figure 10. "

No I did not. I used the graph from the last Dip in temperature= last refill and until the end of electrolysis. The delta seconds is easy to calculate, and if we know when the test ended, we know the time of refill :)

You know, its just math ;)

4. "F&P didn't provide enough data to support their claims". "They had all the experimental data, but they avoided to make them public in a sufficiently detailed form."

You completely misunderstand the meaning of Scientific papers. They are there to present the overall data, what they did and discussions, NOT present all raw data.

Now: the scientists that read the papers may refute by publish their own tests and papers, and then The dialog is running until consensus is reached.

As the nobel prize winner Julian Schwinger said it: "Has the knowledge that physics is an experimental science been totally lost?"

"My first attempt at publication, for the record, was a total disaster. "Cold Fusion: A Hypothesis" was written to suggest several critical experiments, which is the function of hypothesis. The masked reviewers, to a person, ignored that, and complained that I had not proved the underlying assumptions. Has the knowledge that physics is an experimental science been totally lost?"

- Julian Schwinger , 1994

I may repeat, just for you ;)

"

• Energy Budget of the F&P cell

Based on the analysis of Robert Horst I propose here an alternative analysis of energy budget in the F&P 1992 / 1993 paper

In this analysis I look at Cell 1 from the refill on the last day and until the Cell was dry

A few important definitions and data:

1.Refill time: 11:30 as taken from the Video linked in the F&P Paper [1]

2.Dry cell: 22:25

We note that Ascoli thinks there are still foam present at the end, but in any case, this is evidently a very thin foam and a marginal amount of H2O, so 4,999 Mole is probably gone, I will assume its dry.

3.Total time from refill to dry= 39 300 seconds

4.Input energy: Electrical energy, where current is constant at 500 mA and voltage is regulated to keep constant current. Voltage trend:

Voltage at refill time: 18,87 V

Voltage at end: The graph cannot be analysed at this point, the last period of voltage increase is important, but the graph is not detailed enough to be analysed. F&P reported average Voltage the last 600 seconds of 76 volts. If the end voltage was 100 Volts as suggested, then the voltage should be 50 volts 10 minutes before end to acheieve 75 Volts in average in the period.

We may now produce a voltage and power trends by reading the voltages of the curve and use the data above.

5.Temperature trend:

Ref first image above. Temperature at refill time= 85,3 degC

Temperature at dry= 100 degC

Now for tables of data:

SUm of Output of evaporation, radiation loss, heat capoacity etc is approximately 626 000 Joules

So the above calculates 543 554 Joules input heat from refill to dry cell, and excess energy during the period is therefore in the range 82 689 Joules, or 15%.

Conclusion:

1. We have confirmed Excess heat during last period of refill to dry cell
    2. We have confirmed the likely theory of increased excess heat at higher temperatures
    3. F&P reported 86700 Joule excess heat the last 10 minutes (while mine is 82689 J ) .The graph is not detailed enough to achieve quality of data close to 100 degC, where the largest power input is, but F&P had better data acquisition, and I am satisfied with their main claims, higher excess at higher temperatures. If it is 10% or 20% does not matter. The increase is interesting.

[1] http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmancalorimetra.pdf

1993 revised version of [1] http://newenergytimes.com/v2/l…n-Pons-PLA-Simplicity.pdf

[2] http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LonchamptGreproducti.pdf

"

Well, I believe the Hansen report analyzing the raw data would be a better judge of the main question: Excess heat, than the Ascoli analysis of blown up graphs and old videos (where the blue arrows was most likely put on by Kriwit).

And as I showed above The Hansen analysis using raw data is very revealing.

F&P's experiments – 30 years after CF announcement

Actually the Hansen report (1) is very interesting, especially since Hansen had the raw data from the F&P available for analysis. Since the report was published in 1991, this would be data from 1991 and earlier.

And in the raw data we may note the following revealing facts, that contradict conclusions from Ascoli.

However, we should note that these cells are different in time and place from the cells Ascoli has analyzed in the 1992 paper.

So there may or may not still be errors in the 2002 paper, but as I shown many times, not as large errors as Ascoli believes.

The graph below from the Hansen report show a shorter time from refill to the increase in voltage and temperature than the 1992/93 papers, which is interesting.

Another important difference is that the 92/93 papers used 200 mA and 500 mA, while the Hansen graph below use 400 mA and incrase to 800 mA.

Hansen reports from the raw data that 3,3 moles where evaporated in 45 minutes period in below graph. If we calculate from the last refill at 345600 seconds to the 355700 seconds in the graph, we may add also a tiny amount of water that where evaporated in the time before. (8ml where added to top up at each refill)

We then get some 3,33 moles removed from refill at 345600 seconds to 355700 seconds.

In this period the current was first 400 mA and increased to 800 mA at 352900 seconds.

The input energy from refill to 355700 second point calculates to maximum 53 600 Joules electrical energy.

Evaporating 3,33 moles of water would require roughly 140 000 Joules.

So, from the raw data Hansen investigated we find that the cell produced 2,6 times more energy than was provided as external input.

(1) http://www.newenergytimes.com/…-ReportToTheUtahState.pdf