THHuxleynew Verified User
  • Member since Jan 18th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by THHuxleynew

Chaccour - ivermectin pioneer - one of the good guys

The rise and fall of a coronavirus ‘miracle cure’
    As people reach for doses of the anti-parasitic meant for horses, drug regulators step in.
    www.politico.eu

In just 12 months, an affordable anti-parasitic has made its way from a humble head-lice treatment to being touted as a "miracle cure" for coronavirus — getting an audience before the U.S. Senate and making its way into official government guidelines.

Veterinarians have seen a rush on doses of ivermectin meant for large animals as people battle to get hold of doses meant for humans, while black markets cash in and a fervent media campaign pushes inconclusive research.

The Czech Republic now allows its off-label use, while Slovakia imports tens of thousands of doses. Promising research on the drug's potential to treat and prevent coronavirus, combined with desperation over rising case numbers and deaths and a tidal wave of disinformation, has led to use of the drug skyrocketing in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as Latin America and South Africa.

Along with treating animal parasites, the medication has also been used for many years in pill and cream form for humans to treat a variety of conditions such as scabies, head lice and river blindness. It has long been hailed as a wonder drug, and the drug’s discoverers, William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura, were awarded the 2015 Nobel Prize in medicine due to its ability to treat multiple diseases.

The catch: The world’s leading medicines regulators have consistently warned against its use for coronavirus. Last week, the European Medicines Agency stated that the evidence doesn’t support its use for coronavirus outside of clinical trials, and warned that toxicity at high doses "cannot be excluded." The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned on March 5 that overdosing on the drug could even lead to death, noting multiple reports of patients being hospitalized after self-medicating.

“All good conspiracy theories or lies have a bit of truth to it — that's what makes them good,” said Carlos Chaccour, assistant research professor at Barcelona Institute for Global Health and one of the first researchers to raise concerns about the drug's use for coronavirus.

In this case, it’s known that ivermectin has some antiviral properties — so researchers were right to investigate it at the start of the pandemic, he said.

In fact, Chaccour knows ivermectin better than most. He began work on the drug’s ability to kill malaria vectors in 2007, and when people began dying around the world from a new virus early in 2020, Chaccour turned to the area in which he is an expert.

His work both supports the possibility that ivermectin could be used against coronavirus and debunks dodgy studies on the drug. This has made him an enemy to both sides, and even led to his wife receiving threats. Chaccour said he’s been named "an assassin on the payroll from big pharma" and conversely "naive and advocate [for ivermectin]."

Last month, to take a break from the frenzy, he even quit Twitter for Lent.

Getting off on the wrong foot

It all started in March 2020, when an in-vitro study from Australian scientists indicated that ivermectin was an inhibitor of coronavirus. But there was one big problem, said Chaccour: The scientists used concentrations so "huge" that they weren't naturally found in humans.

Part of the research that emerged was a study using data from Surgisphere — the group behind the now infamous hydroxychloroquine study that was retracted by The Lancet after concerns about the data. However, the study didn’t make it beyond the pre-print stage, so even though some academics raised questions about the validity of the study, they were never officially acknowledged by a reputable journal.

At that time, the use of ivermectin remained mostly confined to Latin America. Peru had included the drug in its national therapeutic guidelines for coronavirus (which it later removed), while hundreds of thousands of people were administering it in Bolivia. Chaccour believes that the drug's take-up there was linked to its widespread use for both animals and humans, combined with the presence of local manufacturers.

There were some pockets of use elsewhere as well. Hungary, for example, reported in November that veterinarians were seeing an increase in interest for ivermectin.

But that would all change when the drug was put on its most global platform yet — the U.S. Senate.

Big Bad Pharma

The bombshell arrived on December 8, when U.S. physician Pierre Kory spoke before a Senate hearing on early outpatient treatment for coronavirus. Ivermectin, alongside other medicines such as vitamin C, zinc and melatonin, could "save hundreds of thousands of people," he testified, citing more than 20 studies.

Kory also questioned why remdesivir — a pricey drug that has shown some limited efficacy in severely ill coronavirus patients — was able to secure a compassionate use authorization from U.S. regulators while ivermectin was not.

Kory's appearance reverberated across the globe. A YouTube video of his testimony went so viral that it was removed under the platform's COVID-19 disinformation policy. As Chaccour put it, the video immediately prompted some people to ask: "Why are they killing us if there's this life saving drug out there? Why is Big Pharma pushing for their own solutions?"

"And that sparked the whole second wave of interest," said Chaccour.

Many miles away, in South Africa, a black market for ivermectin soon emerged. In Romania, stocks of ivermectin at both human and veterinary pharmacies were reported to be depleted in January.

The implication that Big Pharma is blocking the use of ivermectin fits into the broader pattern of seeing "some sort of big conspiracy 'against us ordinary people,' " explained Jonáš Syrovátka, program manager at the Prague Security Studies Institute.

Who's most inclined to believe such disinformation? Researcher Dan Sultănescu, of Romania’s National School of Political and Administrative Studies’ Center for Civic Participation and Democracy, pointed to “people with lower degrees of trust."

It's not just about health, he noted — trust in Western institutions such as NATO and the EU also fell last year, a “period of vulnerability" for many countries, including his native Romania. People only listen to sources that they trust, and the media has become "the battleground right now," as various groups with vested interests fight for coverage.

But in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, it wasn’t just a couple of doctors pushing ivermectin, but the government itself.

In January, the Slovakian health ministry began allowing the use of ivermectin for treating and preventing coronavirus. In March, while noting the limited evidence on its efficacy against coronavirus, the Czech health ministry approved doctors prescribing ivermectin at their own discretion.

Geography also plays a role in ivermectin's popularity, argued Sultănescu. Its adherents aren't in major cities or close to the levers of power, but "are on the periphery of some centers," he said. "You have this in areas where people are frustrated because the results are not in their control, the solutions are not in their control."

In the Czech Republic, meanwhile, Syrovátka sees the rising desperation due to the current dire situation with the virus as another factor, as people hunt for "easy solutions" to escape the crisis. Adding to the confusion is the government’s inconsistent communication throughout the pandemic, made worse by going through three different health ministers in just two months, he noted.

Conflicting messages

While Europeans have flocked to pharmacies and veterinarians for ivermectin, research into the drug has continued.

A pre-print from dozens of academics around the world, including Chaccour, was published in January and led to the headlines that ivermectin’s staunch supporters could only dream of. The Financial Times declared that the "cheap antiparasitic" could cut chance of virus deaths by up to 75 percent.

The pre-print, which has yet to be peer reviewed, does indeed state that ivermectin could have a dramatic impact on deaths. But it also comes with a big caveat: The meta-analysis showed that the drug needs to be "validated in larger, appropriately controlled randomized trials before the results are sufficient for review by regulatory authorities."

Then in March, the drug took its next hit. The Frontiers in Pharmacology journal reversed the provisional acceptance of a paper penned by Kory and other members of his group, the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance. The journal noted that "the article made a series of strong, unsupported claims based on studies with insufficient statistical significance, and at times, without the use of control groups." It also took issue with the authors promoting their own specific ivermectin-based treatment, which Frontiers found "inappropriate" for a review article and against its editorial policies.

Kory took aim at the decision, telling The Scientist the decision was "censorship" and accusing the journal of allowing "some sort of external peer reviewer to comment on our paper."

Around the same time, the U.S. and EU regulators stepped in — with both warning that there isn’t enough evidence for use of the drug to treat or prevent coronavirus. The European Medicines Agency also noted in its statement, issued March 22, that while lab studies showed hope for ivermectin, they were based on much higher doses than those currently authorized — and that results from clinical studies were varied.

"Further well-designed, randomized studies are needed to draw conclusions as to whether the product is effective and safe in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19," the EMA added.

Trials such as these are now underway, and Chaccour estimates that in the next three or four months, more concrete data will start to emerge. Indeed, despite the drug's checkered history, even Chaccour hopes that it could turn out to be the wonder drug it was once promised to be.

"When you have these trolls harassing you, it makes me want to say, 'I hope it doesn't work'," he said with a wry laugh. "But that's not what I want. I would actually be very happy if this works."

Fact is in Europe Slovakia see no more CoV-19 and deaths from CoV-19 since the regimen has changed to Ivermectin.

This was a particularly brainless Wyttenfact, given that at the time newspaper reports stated that Slovakia was just starting its third wave of infection. At the moment we are doubling infections every week. Deaths will follow infections by a few weeks.

I'll repeat every week showing how Wyttenbach's prediction of no COVID in Slovakia because it uses ivermectin pans out.

TrialSite, dedicated to transparent, accessible, and open research worldwide, exists to chronicle, analyze, and publish unbiased, objective news and information.

No. TrialSite spend a lot of its time publishing opinionated and biassed editorials.

Agreed but I'm confused, do you support mandates, this sounds like you don't.

I'm pragmatic, I support them in limited circumstances where on balance people see them as a special case. For example, I was a governer for many years of our local primary school. We have a great leadership team, and I know very well they would not have mandated masks, but if mask wearing was better for the school they would talk to children and parents, and get 99% adherance. And they would take care not to stigmatise the non-mask-wearers (there would be some who could not do that).

But for health or social care workers, it is fair for whatever precautions are good to be mandated. Part of the job.

PS - i'm not sure what i would do in a school where for political reasons half the parents refused to have children wear masks. That would be a difficult one.

You can shame an anti Vaxer but call someone a fat piece of shit and you are a racist.

If you want to win hearts and minds you do not call the vaccine-hesitant anti-vaxers, do not have policies that force them to get vaccinated, but engage with their fears, which need to be taken seriously, and explain the facts.

As used here anti-vaxer applies to a small number of activists who spread propaganda and will never (until dying of COVID as in http://sorryantivaxxer.com) change views. I'd be similarly against obese people trying to make everyone else obese.

Similarly if you want to reduce obesity it does not help to shame those who are obese or insult them. In that case changing things is a lot more difficult, but encouragement and advice can help, and changes in the relative cost and availability of healthy and unhealthy food could make obesity less likely. Good luck doing that without massive (probably not fit for purpose) regulation.

At the moment if you are very poor in the UK the only way to get enough food to survive quickly (e.g. without cooking skills many now don't have, and prep time most now don't have) is to eat very unhealthy food and cut out vegetables.

I'm pretty sure this covers all age groups so I think your 2 year older would rise exponentially with age. Either way obisity is a huge problem in America promoted under political policy, McDonald's and other fast food bring in big taxes.

I agree obesity is a huge problem. Like smoking for many years, it is so unnecessary and reduces quality of life so much. What I hate is the way that illness becomes normalised just because we live in a society that has encouraged it, and are biologically programmed from times where the main threat was hunger.

If the figures are averaged they will be dominated by the high risk older segment, so I'd not expect figures much different from this in that segment.

That story tells you why COVID in the US is political. It is a shame. Extraordinary that the two sides can't keep politics where it belongs.

As I see it the Republicans saying the Democrats are trying to control lives and destroy the economy with govt interference, the Democrats saying the republicans are trying to kill people with guns and lack of healthcare. That is all politics. What you expect.

I have some sympathy with the Republican party, enslaved by a set of base voters that are deeply afraid and resentful of societal change, and strongly pro-religion, anti-science. I don't blame the Republican base electorate - their fears are genuine and need to be addressed. I blame the (educated, rich, sophisticated) Republican politicians in Congress and the Senate who are actively promoting anti-democratic and anti-science views, even though they know them to be dangerous, because to do otherwise would be politically painful. More guts and moral fibre from the US right please!

I blame the democrats equally when they do not keep the worst excesses of their extremists in check, but what do they have similar in magnitude to:

• The Republicans (from Trump onwards) are using anti-science messaging to set population against health authorities in a pandemic. That is something else. Morally reprehensible.
    • The Republicans are still backing Trump-style mob rule and legislation to ignore the popular vote in the next Presidential election, on the pretext that people do not trust the elections to be fair - after this message was promoted for two years by Trump. This is anti-democratic and exactly what autocrats and wannabe dictators have done (often with success) throughout history. I'm not sure whether trying to stay in power against the will of the electorate is as morally bad as campaigning against health authorities in a pandemic - but I hate it just as much.

You don't have to be a liberal left-wing freak to think this - look at Liz Cheyney.

A left-right neutral political point: in a two party system (US,UK) the only way to gain power long-term is to appeal to a broad coalition of voters. that is how it should be, and it removes the excesses of party activists and allows pragmatic compromise. The US seems to have abandoned this principle.

A fascinating commentary in a possible future route towards reclaiming moderation in US politics.

The Future Is Faction
    As the parties have been increasingly captured by their ideological extremes in recent decades, the space for cross-party coalition building has shrunk. Some…
    www.nationalaffairs.com

In recent years, there has emerged a broadly shared sense that political moderation is dying. Joe Biden's victory in the Democratic primary has been widely interpreted as the last gasp of an exhausted tradition, after which he will hand over the reins to the party's left. Meanwhile, moderates have been an endangered species in the Republican Party for going on two decades now.

The decline of political moderates lies at the root of many of our fundamental governing problems. As American political parties have become increasingly captured by their ideological extremes in recent decades, the space for cross-party coalition-building has shrunk. Where moderates were once critical to establishing coalitions across party lines, both parties' leaders today have established a hammerlock over the agenda in Congress, allowing only single-party alliances to form except under very unusual conditions.

The absence of cross-party coalitions means that members of Congress no longer see their colleagues across the aisle as potential resources for advancing their political and policy goals. This is even true of the few remaining moderates in both parties, who, in a less centralized, more entrepreneurial legislative environment, would be allies in creative lawmaking. Negative partisanship — that is, party attachment driven by fear and loathing of the other side more than a positive attachment to one's own party program — has abetted this dynamic, creating a climate in which building bipartisan coalitions is seen as equivalent to trading with the enemy. Because our political institutions make it difficult to pass major policy reforms without support from both parties, the absence of moderates to bridge the divide has generated legislative gridlock.

These now-familiar patterns have led ideological moderates to search for the bug in American institutions responsible for such extreme systemic dysfunction. Some have identified party primaries as the culprit and embrace reforms like California's jungle primary or, more recently, ranked-choice voting. Others blame the ideologically imbalanced structure of legislative districts and call for non-partisan redistricting or judicial supervision of the redistricting process. Whatever desirable effects institutional reforms may bring, they have failed to produce a much higher number of moderate legislators. Our optimism about their potential to do so in the future should thus be limited.

The failure of reform mechanisms to spark a rebirth of moderation has led some to conclude that the real problem lies with the Democratic and Republican parties themselves. Calling for a pox on both their houses, disenchanted moderates have fallen under the sway of one of the great chimeras of American politics: the exciting but ultimately Pollyanna-ish hope of creating a centrist third party to take on the two-party oligopoly.

If we lived in a different country, a third party might be well worth exploring. But as political scientist Patrick Dunleavy has argued, America appears to be the only country in which Duverger's Law — that a single-member-district, first-past-the-post electoral system stymies the creation of third parties — actually holds. Since the two-party system is baked into the cake of the American political system, the pursuit of a third party, whatever sense of smug satisfaction it may generate, is guaranteed to be a sinkhole for money and energy.

THE DILEMMA OF MODERATION

Given the futility of forming a third party, moderates of all sorts can only counter those on the ideological poles by finding leverage within the two major parties. To accomplish this, moderates will need to organize as a coherent bloc, recruit attractive candidates, mobilize moderate voters in each party to participate in partisan politics, and develop ideas to inspire their bases. Without strong, durable, organizationally dense factions, individual moderates or even entire state parties will not be able to distinguish themselves from their respective national brands or fight for leverage in national politics.

But how can they do this when the two parties have been captured so thoroughly by their activist poles? Could moderate factions in the Democratic and Republican parties actually have any significant influence?

The dynamics of contemporary American politics suggest that yes, moderates will have new opportunities to carve footholds within the party system and shape the country's future. That opening will come from deep forces at work within American society that will cause the two parties to become increasingly less cohesive in the coming years than they have been of late.

Polarization is commonly understood as a dynamic in which the two parties move further apart. However, another important feature of polarization is increasing homogeneity within each party's cohort of elected officials. This pattern stifles demand for the kind of intra-party factions that used to provide necessary outlets for the much more varied preferences of elected politicians. Understanding the last two decades through this lens helps explain why there has been such a decline in cross-party lawmaking.

The conditional-party-government theory associated with John Aldrich and David Rhode suggests that ideologically homogeneous members of Congress will support stronger leadership control of the political agenda and legislative procedure. This concentration of power occurs not only because factional structures are absent, but because members have neither the capacity nor the desire to constrain the leadership's power. The last 25 years have borne this out: Except under crisis conditions (such as the pandemic-related bills passed in the spring of 2020), Congress has been characterized by strong leadership that only takes up polarizing issues, which serve to unify the majority caucus and divide it from the opposition.

Conversely, conditional-party-government theory also holds that as party caucuses become more heterogeneous, they transfer less control of the agenda to leaders, preferring instead to vest control in committees and committee chairs. Increasingly diverse members will also demand more organizational structures — that is, institutionalized factions — to coordinate that heterogeneity. Thus, while conditional-party-government theory predicts power flowing toward committees in a heterogeneous Congress, it should also imply that power in such circumstances flows toward organized factions that negotiate both with one another and with factions across party lines.

We may have grown accustomed to homogeneous parties and a leadership-driven system in recent decades, but this system is increasingly coming under strain. For one thing, though the public has become somewhat polarized over the same period, the degree of polarization in the general population is dwarfed by what has occurred within the parties' congressional caucuses. This divergence between the mass public and partisan elites has put increasing pressure on Capitol Hill's status quo, as the Congress the public sees does not reflect the country's actual distribution of opinion, especially for parts of the public that are cross pressured (e.g., those who are economically liberal and socially conservative).

Moderates, by contrast, have largely abandoned the field. Perhaps because they believe the broader public is already on their side, they tend to think control of politics by those mobilized at the ideological poles is illegitimate. Hence, they look for ways to redesign rules to allow the sensible but unmobilized middle to have its preferences govern without needing to do the hard work of organizing for action within the two major parties.

This approach is misguided. The reality is that deep, self-reinforcing dynamics help maintain the disproportionate political influence of those at the ideological extremes. Politics rewards participation and preference intensity, both at the mass and elite levels. The desire of core Democratic Party constituencies to moderate their claims in order to win has, as political scientist Matt Grossman argues, served to constrain the Democrats from becoming as ideologically pure as the Republicans, as Biden's nomination demonstrates. Yet there has been an upsurge in mobilization on the party's progressive wing that has yielded tangible results: Socialist Bernie Sanders (who has always resisted membership in the party itself) was a serious presidential contender in 2016 and 2020, the party has clearly moved left in its core policy positions, and more than a few Democratic incumbents have been knocked out by challengers from their left.

In the past, moderates have relied on three alternatives to durable partisan organization. First, they've looked to the financial resources of moderate donors to pull the parties to the center. This strategy disappeared among Republicans with the death of Nelson Rockefeller and is increasingly running out of steam among Democrats, as indicated by the stigma on high-dollar fundraisers in the presidential primary and the increasing reliance on — and pious rhetoric attached to — small donations.

Second, moderates have counted on their control of relatively insulated parts of government, such as the Federal Reserve and the foreign-policy establishment, to maintain influence. However, the power of both parties' moderate professionals — acutely in the Republican Party and incrementally among Democrats — appears to be diminishing. Strategies for further insulating various domains of government from partisan pressure seem extremely unlikely to succeed in our populist age.

Third, moderates have taken advantage of the power of incumbency, drawing strength from members first elected in a less-polarized era. But with each election cycle, these moderate incumbents are gradually replaced by new, more extreme members. Especially on the Republican side, the absence of collective organization means moderates lack an ability to draw on a recognized national brand distinct from their party's dominant, more extreme brand. As a result, they have to either quit — as most moderates have — or join the herd.

This declining influence has led moderates to search frantically for institutional reforms to amplify the voices of moderate voters. The most desperate indulge the Hail Mary scheme of forming a new, moderate third party. While this search has paid the salary of many an otherwise unemployed political consultant, the dream of a third party is futile. There may exist a large number of voters whose positions on social and economic issues do not line up, but only a small minority of them fit into the Michael Bloomberg/Howard Schultz quadrant of socially liberal and fiscally conservative. In fact, the largest group of cross-pressured voters are in the opposite quadrant, combining support for social insurance and interventionist economic policy with modest social conservatism. That's bad news for dreams of a moderate third party, as no single party could conceivably hold both sets of voters.

SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY

The return to factional political parties with the potential to re-invigorate moderates in the American political system is a scenario, not a certainty. It will not unfold purely on the basis of mechanical, structural forces; rather, its advent is contingent on creative, intelligent agency on the part of both organizations and individuals. A faction, after all, is composed of a network of organizations, and organizations do not emerge spontaneously. What's more, there is no guarantee these institutions will be well-designed, well-led, sufficiently cunning, or endowed with enough resources flowing toward the right incentives.

The opportunity to build factional parties depends on a core group of activists and donors emerging — one that will provide the leadership and resources to build the structures through which a mobilized faction can surface. Given this requirement, there is significant danger that the very spirit that characterizes moderates — a tendency to eschew party politics — will lead their organization-building and reformist efforts into third-party or non-partisan blind alleys.

Yet some raw materials for developing moderate factions within both parties already exist. Billionaire donors like Kathryn Murdoch and Seth Klarman have expressed interest in supporting moderates in both parties, although their strategy for doing so appears fairly rudimentary thus far. For their resources to have an impact, more donors in both parties will need to shift their political activity to consciously seeding the wide range of electoral, policy, and intellectual organizations that will allow moderates to gain leverage within institutions largely dominated by extremists. New magazines and think tanks catering to Democratic market-liberals and the liberal-conservative faction of the Republican Party will need to emerge, providing an outlet for academics, writers, and policy experts affiliated with moderate elements to develop and share their ideas.

Meanwhile activists, donors, and intellectuals alienated by the polarized direction of their respective parties will need to redirect their activity toward finding a base of support to mobilize and creating organizations to facilitate their pursuit of power. In places where their respective national parties are weak, these moderate factions will have an opportunity to establish a power base for intra-party conflict. They will need to form new coalitions of elected officials — along the lines of what the Democratic Leadership Council established in the 1980s — to create a political identity distinct from that of the national parties for aspiring officeholders. Where they are successful, they will, at least on occasion, need to translate their custody of state government into the election of factional supporters to Congress and use their new institutions to coordinate their legislative efforts. The dominant populist faction of the Republican Party may not even resist the growth of a minority faction, since such a faction will operate in places where the party is nearly extinct; success in those places may be necessary for Republicans to control Congress in the future.

There is no question that on the Republican side, moderates are at a disadvantage in capturing state parties — even in places where the Trump brand is toxic — given that the president holds such a dominant position among members of the party's base. But this doesn't necessarily mean the effort to build a power structure for moderate Republicans in enough states to gain influence is hopeless. Republican governors in blue states have especially powerful sway over their state parties, which they can use to build a strong factional (as opposed to merely personal) base.

In Virginia, for instance, the Trump brand has almost single-handedly destroyed the Republican Party's power, making it uncompetitive in the middle-class suburbs that pave the way to control of Richmond. This suggests there could be demand from office-seekers for a rebranded party capable of differentiating itself from the increasingly toxic national brand by associating itself with a moderate faction. In Kansas, moderate Republicans have openly defected from their more extreme conservative counterparts to reverse the sweeping tax cuts that wrecked the state's finances. More could and should be done to build that group into a durable faction within the state legislature.

Even more broadly, moderate Republicans need to focus on organizing ordinary citizens who agree with them — which, in some places, will include Democrats defecting from a party increasingly controlled by the left — to compete for control of their state parties. This will involve more than a year or two of work, but it is the kind of long-term effort that eventually gave conservatives the whip hand in the party.

This scenario is certainly not the only possibility. But it does suggest that, by cultivating factions within each party, moderates have at least some prospect of re-emerging as a power center in American politics. While they may seem like unicorns in our current polarized moment, intra-party factions used to be the norm in American politics, and the time is ripe for their renewal. For such factions to develop, moderates will have to summon the motivation and the discipline to engage in the kind of intra-party trench warfare they've too often considered unsavory and demeaning, but that their competitors have mastered and put to effective use.

Chasing non-partisan or anti-partisan fantasies may provide psychological comfort, but it won't generate much in the way of tangible results. The best investment of time, energy, and money for those who want a more deliberative, entrepreneurial, and productive political system is to dedicate themselves to the gritty work of building moderate factions within the two major parties.

The Findings

The risk of hospitalization was 28% and 30% higher in patients with moderate and severe obesity, respectively, as compared to those patients with what is considered a normal BMI. Patients that were classified as moderate and severe required a 25% and 39% greater need for diagnostic tests.

One of the things people do not always do is process probabilities well.

Sure, obesity is a risk factor - but 30% extra COVID risk is equivalent to being 2 years older.

For JED: Genes ( coded in DNA) are always translated to RNA = the active version of genes. The RNA gene therapy just avoids to permanently store the information. But this is only half way true if you know how the RNA inference works!

You might as well say that genes (DNA) are always expressed as proteins, and therefore call any therapy using proteins gene therapy.

What I linked is that the UK CoV-19 mortality among age group <50 is below 0.03% this is from real actual = factual data not from faked studies. Here in Switzerland it is even lower.

The mortality from flu is 0.1% (mild flu) to 0.5% strong flu.

Comparing age < 50 COVID IFR with whole Flu IFR (which includes mostly very old people dying of Flu) is silly. What is the point of that?

Giving COVID IFR figures for the whole range < 50 is misleading, because 40-50 will have IFR much higher than this average.

Finally, UK figures now are low because vaccination reduces IFR for this age cohort by a large factor (10X for those vaccinated) and most of the vulnerable are vaccinated.

40-50 (87% have first dose, 55% have 2nd dose).

THH

Yup - it is good - though I am not sure it is correct. It assumes these anti-science idiots are capable of connected logical thought.

To them, COVID was a virus of the big city and those who live there, of old people, or persons with multiple pre-existing conditions (of which they didn’t believe cholesterol-lined arteries and COPD qualified as examples).

It was only killing the weak.

And they were strong — cowboy strong, to be precise, or at least Sturgis motorcycle ridin’ strong.

High on a delusional mix of rugged individualism, toxic masculine bravado, pseudoscientific faith in vitamin supplements, and a belief that God would pull them through, they were convinced they were safe.

Only others were at risk — the less good people.

The ones who don’t do CrossFit, or go to a megachurch, or better still, a CrossFit in a megachurch.

The ones who don’t settle for the “power of positive thinking,” like FOX host Jesse Watters, who insisted that’s all he would need should he become infected.

The ones who place their faith in science rather than a Bible study group.

And for people like that? Who cares? To the right, those people don’t count.

Indifference to the suffering of others is why Trump’s minions wouldn’t mask. They didn’t care that they might infect people, despite being asymptomatic.

When you would tell them repeatedly that wearing a mask was less for the wearer than for others, they shrugged. If other folks are at risk, they should stay home and let the rest of us get back to the gym, the hairdresser, concerts, movies, and tailgate parties before the big game. I mean, this giant foam finger isn’t gonna wave itself.

Their freedom to do as they pleased was more important than other people’s lives.

Most who refused to mask (and reject the vaccine now) are not full-blown virus deniers. Instead, they simply didn’t believe — and still don’t — that it can harm people like them.

But if you know it can harm others who aren’t like you, and you still refuse to take the measures that reduce the risk of spreading the virus to them, you are a sociopath.

If you refuse a vaccine when you have no valid health reason to do so (as almost no one does), thereby keeping the virus alive longer by increasing the risk of mutations, you are saying that other people’s lives don’t matter to you.

And if you expected to be infected, hospitalized, and die, you would never take these risks.

That’s what these ICU confessions signify — that they care about their own lives quite a bit, whatever they might think of others.

Fact is in Europe Slovakia see no more CoV-19 and deaths from CoV-19 since the regimen has changed to Ivermectin.

Wyttenfact alert!

The link below is dated 8 September.

Slovakia has one of the quickest caseload increases in the world
    Most districts will follow stricter pandemic measures from next Monday.
    spectator.sme.sk

The impact of the third pandemic wave is already visible in Slovakia's Covid-19 statistics.

Slovakia belongs to the countries with the quickest growth in new Covid cases in the world; it is also witnessing quite a big increase in the number of hospitalisations.

The situation is worsening on the regional level as well, with only a few regions remaining in the best, green tier of the alert system, known as Covid automat.

Čítajte viac: https://spectator.sme.sk/c/227…the-world.html?ref=njctse

This, on the face of it, looks very interesting

and somone else with a research project to do the same thing - seems like a popular idea https://covid19.research.ubc.c…t-drug-treatment-covid-19

What I cannot find is any reference to its testing in double-blind high quality studies - I guess that will be blocked till ivermectin is fully evaluated. That is the opportunity cost of putting a lot of effort into evaluating not very promising drug candidates.

Probenecid has several pharmacological targets including blocking pannexins that underlie transmembrane channel function24,25 and decreasing ACE2 expression26,27. The major advantages of probenecid are that it is an FDA-approved therapeutic drug that has been on the market for >50 years, it can be administered orally with favorable pharmacokinetics, it operates at the host cell level, is refractory to viral mutation, and has the potential to treat multiple other viruses. Further, our data suggest that initiation of posttreatment following infection in mammalian cells, hamsters, and humans results in infection remarkably reduced SARS-CoV-2 replication, particularly in the lung target organ.

Probenecid treatment will likely have the benefit of inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 variants as we show that it is effective against the VOC, lineage B.1.1.7. This is not unexpected, as targeting host processes essential for viral replication such as OAT3 would be expected to be universal. Among the host targets that have been identified as potential targets for inhibiting virus replication, OAT3 blockade will not likely confer any mechanism-based untoward effects for humans since humans with reduced OAT3 function are healthy28, and pharmacologic blockade of OAT3 is safely tolerated in humans29. Other compounds that interact with OAT3 include the antiviral drugs oseltamivir phosphate (Tamiflu) and acyclovir10, as well as angiotensin II receptor blockers30, however, their interaction is weak and their pharmacological actions confer safety and tolerability limitations that preclude their use in drug repurposing.

This is blatantly wrong as the peak >15'000 was caused by wrong reporting with one day before just 3000 cases.

So don't let you fool. There are no peaks there are only averaged peaks.

And guess what?! The average peak was yesterday. What is down is the yesterdays number 7269

according state information. https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/general

I also expect the number going down for some weeks as the booster induced CoV-19 will be over soon. But then, in about 3-5 months we will see an ever stronger increase due to ADE.

Could somone who understands this please explain it to me?

:)

In December of 2019 an article from bio-tech discussed why a spike targeted vaccine had not been used yet. The spike was to unstable. Now jump ahead 4 months and Pfizer is injecting an mRNA spike targeted vaccine. I have some questions and concerns. Really, it that simple. Explain how they stabilized the spike.

I think the difference might be between the use cases. normally vaccines are wanted that will last for years, against which resistance will be difficult to form.

For COVID we needed something quick that would work as well as possible. Not last for years

No not at all I took the J&J vac. However my wife also had the jab and showed no antibodies after 90 days so on advice of oncologist she took a Moderna booster, again no antibodies after 40 days. So my friend just how do you think I should feel about the vaccine?

I'm sorry to hear this. If your wife is immune deficient for whatever reason it is a difficult case. It does not mean she will have necessarily have no protection from jabs if she has no antibodies as tested, but it is likely to be much smaller protection, and could be zero. There is some evidence that 3 jabs can raise antibody levels when two do not - so if possible you should seek advice - you may be constrained by what the US regs allow to be given - but that will change and I know there are many other people in the same position.

THH

Nope just want to figure out who's right, you have made your choice what to believe, I haven't. Simple as that.

My approach is to read the thing first, and then believe the bits of it that are factually evidenced and logically or mathematically sound - so no choice is made. But, for example, Hischhorn's post above does not pass because he makes an elementary mistake in his analysis of the data. I'd be just as unhappy with it if the overall conclusion were pro-vax (though in that case it would not be directly killing people).

I think putting trust in people to be right or wrong is dangerous - most people are right some of the time, wrong some of the time.

Dr. Joel S. Hirschhorn, author of Pandemic Blunder and many articles on the pandemic, worked on health issues for decades. As a full professor at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, he directed a medical research program between the colleges of engineering and medicine.

I can't quite believe this guy! He is a full STEM Professor at Uni of Madison and he makes such very elementary errors in statistics? Lets look him up:

He has quite a track record of mistakes in writing about the pandemic:

"Real world evidence" vs. COVID-19?
    Joel Hirschorn argues (badly) that the feds should have used "real world evidence" to approve the use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19.
    respectfulinsolence.com

(Hirschhorn argues that HCQ works because of real world data)

Given his lack of consideration of how confounding factors affect statistics about vaccinations, he probably thinks Zelenko's real world data (from a very young Orthodox Jewish catchment area) showing lower than typical hospital admissions is evidence in favour of HCQ working?

It upsets me when guys who need to be numerate to do their jobs properly make mistakes like this.

:)

Chunking by <50 and >50 removes some of the vulnerable get vaccinated bias but not most of it, because the unvaccinated are still skewed to lower ages. But you do not get quite such scary errors as in Joel's mistake above.

Although COVID mortality varies a lot even within a 10 year age band, vaccination probability typically does not, so you get a reasonably OK answer using decade bands.