can Verified User
  • Member since Jan 20th 2017

Posts by can

In another test with a better 24V battery for input power into the high voltage boost converter I managed to reach high enough temperatures to apparently form a ball of melted tungsten, but without flash oxidation/combustion.

After an initial period where battery voltage decreased, voltage began slowly increasing, but it was likely from erosion—the cathode decreased in length quite a bit—and increasing water temperature, causing more boiling and less efficient conduction (i.e. less load to the battery). The previously observed oscillation at the battery wasn't very large in this test either (it seems easier to observe with cleaner electrolyte and a new cathode wire).

After more testing with 2x12V batteries in series:

• The reaction seems (again) overall stronger, likely due to the HV converter operating more efficiently with a higher input voltage.
    • It seems possible to use higher electrolyte concentrations than at a lower input voltage: I ended up using up to 5ml 0.1M KOH (which I prepared a couple weeks ago) in about 40ml tap water, without issues for the reaction that I'm trying to induce
    • RF noise and in particular voltage spikes to the power source still seem proportional to electrolyte concentration, at least up to the point I reached
    • My DSL internet connection (i.e. telephone line) seems affected significantly at a higher electrolyte concentration, but still not as much as with 12V input using a power supply connected to the mains
    • At one point I saw >100V spikes to the batteries, although typically these would be lower. I don't know exactly why this would be occurring; expert circuit analysis would have to be performed at some point to determine what sort of boost topology the HV converter employs
    • Local RF noise is still relatively high just with tap water and acetone, but effect on DSL then is minimal
    • Ideally the cathode would be operated at the highest possible temperature that does not cause flash erosion, or a blinking effect
    • I still couldn't manage to actually recharge the batteries, but one of them was bad and might have limited the effect. To be fair, it's unlikely that this would be really occurring.

Below is the local RF measured with a 40cm whip antenna up to 150 MHz, first with just tap water and 2.5 wt% acetone, then (eventually, after about 1 hour of testing) with the addition of 5ml 0.1M KOH (at that point significant electrolyte evaporation had occurred so the total water content was about the same as on starting conditions).

The yellow line is the background RF noise. The peaks at about 90-108 MHz are from FM stations.

Acetone is needed to keep the immersed tip of the cathode in a clean metallic state, otherwise it oxidizes rapidly at high temperatures and no or very limited current oscillation effect and RF emission occur.

Curbina

I'm still not sure that it actually was a spamming attempt. In any case, although interesting that does not seem compatible with my testing conditions (and it's likely to be too expensive and specialized equipment for what I'm trying to achieve).

If you want cavitation near the electrode, why not make the electrode itself be the ultrasound source?

Hielscher has easy to use ultrasonic electrodes (cathodes and anodes) at all power levels (think kilowatts), various electrode materials, big temperature range, closed reactors for pressure, ...

See: Hielscher Ultrasonic Electrodes

This could be a very interesting idea; it would definitely be a more direct way to generate voids and/or faster boiling at the electrode interface. I wonder however if it would support the temperatures and current spikes observed during cathodic plasma electrolysis.

Please note moderators ( Alan Smith, Curbina, ...) : this user may have been wrongfully banned.

Взаимодействие с другими людьмиВзаимодействие с другими людьми [...]

If "hydrowave" means "cavitation", it is likely to be occurring in my case. It's also likely that having the cathode electrode (the one where the plasma occurs in my case) not rigidly connected to the supporting rod (as described in the previous post and partially seen in the attached video) causes it to vibrate more, possibly increasing the effect.

When it's operating, the cathode emits acoustic noise with harmonics up to RF frequencies and beyond. This is easily observed using an AM/FM radio receiver.

It looks like configuration B in the diagram below might be more effective in causing large RF noise / voltage spikes back to the power source. It might be due to faster heating of the cathode tip from decreased thermal conduction to the supporting rod.

EDIT 2020-11-04: I tried using 24V input with the two 12V VRLA batteries I have in series, and the HV converter (Amazon link), which accepts 8-30V DC input, appears to work better, with a noticeably stronger plasma reaction. While open-circuit voltage was the same (about 385V on either +/- side), load voltage was probably higher (did not measure it). The current oscillation and back-voltage effects seemed mostly unchanged, when conditions were right. It appears that the Fan +V pin however on the circuit board outputs the same voltage as input voltage, so lower-voltage fans will have to use a different voltage source.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Alan Smith

An issue with these experiments is that with a too high electrolyte concentration the plasma becomes unstable and instead of a glow discharge, sparks occur. Since in cathodic plasma electrolysis both hydrogen and oxygen are (or can be) evolved at the cathode due to thermal water dissociation (see Mizuno here), H2–O2 explosions then become likely. These may have been the main source of the loud and sharp noises I used to observe. Also, as water is repeatedly displaced during these energetic spark/explosion events, the overall reaction rate, which acquires a kind of intermittent character, might become lower.

For micro/nanoparticle production and characterization in the same process I guess I would need better tools than what I'm using.

I doubt that Cydonia "never understood" the link with LENR, but just because there could be readers that honestly haven't:

The theory is that molecular hydrogen brought in contact with the commercially available catalysts used by Holmlid's group (Fe-K oxide styrene catalysts) dissociates into an excited atomic form. The excited atoms can cluster together and transition to a lower energy state in desorption from the catalysts, in an exothermic process. This low-energy state hydrogen may then spontaneously engage in nuclear reactions, producing more energy and nuclear products, or be excited for a larger energy release using external inputs (e.g. laser pulses). If the optional pulse-laser excitation is factored out, the overall catalytic process is similar to typical gas-loaded LENR experiments.

Cathode plasma electrolysis in diluted potassium hydroxide solutions: Particles formation and energetic estimation

https://www.lenr-forum.com/attachment/14961-gromov-opt-pdf/

Just a personal remark after a calculation I made out of curiosity. 0.125–0.625 wt% KOH as used here should correspond to a molarity of about 0.0011–0.0056M, so indeed quite diluted. That's incidentally about the range I've been using recently in my crude testing with cathodic plasma electrolysis. In the past I used to employ significantly higher KOH concentrations (up to 2M) but they might have actually been counterproductive (with my setup at least), as well as making for rather acoustically noisy and potentially dangerous experiments.

Wyttenbach

He 4He/3He results are from 2014, but he used his own methods for detection.

https://www.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijms.2014.10.004

Highlights

• Time-of-flight studies have been made of ejection of massive particles from laser-induced fusion in ultra-dense deuterium D(0). Ion peaks are observed with energies from 1.4 MeV u−1 down to 50 keV u−1.

• The ion peaks are interpreted as due to collisionally delayed 4He and 3He (initially with normal fusion energies) and to p and D scattered off the He ions.

• Collisions of 4He with D4 ultra-dense clusters are also observed.

• Thermal distributions of neutrons are found at temperatures of 80–600 MK, showing fusion temperature of the plasma.

Another test with the good battery was successful again in producing the same observations and showed that:

• Back spikes to the battery up to 40V and sometimes even about 100V are produced. This can't be good for the battery.
    • The voltage effect seems to occur independently, or at a later time than the current oscillation seen at the electrodes (I have a multimeter in current reading mode in series with the cathode).
    • It seems to occur best when the tungsten cathode is hot (almost as bright as an incandescent lamp filament) and close to start blinking brightly (I'm assuming from oxidation). However, after the tungsten erodes the effect is greatly reduced (also observed earlier).
    • Higher KOH electrolyte concentration causes stronger voltage spikes. At a too high concentration the tungsten cathode starts eroding too quickly, however. Increased KOH can also restore the effect a loss of 'activity' after the cathode erodes, but too much of it causes excessive current draw, making the process overall inefficient and the plasma reaction difficult to control (it either works at a low level or too much, causing cathode erosion).
    • I didn't manage to observe a real battery recharging effect (too good to be true?), but the working time under conditions where such back spikes are observed was limited.
    • It's still highly possible that this is a just high-voltage power supply issue/quirk (e.g. insulation failure in the pulse transformer/coil?)

A new (Oct 2020) open-access paper from Leif Holmlid:

Muon-catalyzed fusion and annihilation energy generation supersede non-sustainable T+D nuclear fusion

https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-97208/v1

Background: Large-scale fusion reactors using hydrogen isotopes as fuel are still under development at several places in the world. These types of fusion reactors use tritium as fuel for the T +D reaction. However, tritium is not a sustainable fuel to use, since it will require fission reactors for its production, and since it is a dangerous material due to its radioactivity. Thus, fusion relying on tritium fuel should be avoided, and at least two better methods for providing the nuclear energy needed in the world indeed exist already. The first experiments with sustained laser-driven fusion above break-even using deuterium as fuel were published already in 2015.

Results: The well-known muon-induced fusion (also called muon-catalyzed fusion) can use deuterium as fuel. With the recent development of a high intensity (patented) muon source, this method is technically and economically feasible today. The recently developed annihilation energy generation uses ordinary hydrogen as fuel.

Conclusions: muon-induced fusion is able to directly replace most combustion-based power stations in the world, giving sustainable and environmentally harmless power (primarily heat), in this way eliminating most CO2 emissions of human energy generation origin. Annihilation-based power generation has the potential to replace almost all other uses of fossil fuels within a few decades, also in most mobile applications including spaceflight, where it is the only method which gives relativistic rocket propulsion.

Wyttenbach

Admittedly, this reminded me too of some of Rossi's latest claims about excess electricity, but what did I debunk exactly?

On a related note, I also tried using another 12V lead-acid battery (which was half-depleted and sagged to 10V under load) but I couldn't reproduce the back-voltage effect with the same intensity as the other (good) one: it only oscillated by about 1V and ended up discharging more.

Although quite unlikely, If it's truly producing excess back-current, it should be possible to use battery power more or less indefinitely or even recharging it in the process (!). However, I can't imagine 22–24V or higher spikes to be good for long-term battery health.

It's possible that a large portion of the noise observed with a power supply connected to the mains is actually injected into it (and/or the power supply) and not just directly due to RF emissions. A while back I tried measuring with a clamp meter DC input power into the HV converter, and when the plasma reaction is producing strong RF emission, it shows highly oscillating values that the clamp meter sees as some sort of AC.

I made another test with the 12V battery, this time connecting a multimeter (the multimeter function of the same clamp meter of the test quoted above) to its +/- terminals. It appears that battery voltage fluctuates between 12V and >20V when the strongly RF-emitting plasma reaction occurs, so I might have actually been correct in that noise could have been injected into the mains. The previously used PC power supply might have been sinking power from the HV converter! (or: =O)

Whether this is actually an anomalous effect—even though something along these lines has been suggested by other groups—is a different story.

The screenshot below shows the highest voltage peak I saw on the battery terminals.

Curiously, at some point (after I inadvertently eroded the tungsten cathode, turning the solution cloudy from tungsten residues) it became considerably more difficult to cause the same reaction, but the effect was renewed after adding another 1 ml 0.1M KOH solution.

The disturbance recorded by the DSL modem/router was higher than earlier, but still not as much as with the PC power supply. I did not/forgot to make RF measurements with the radio receiver.

Below is a video of the multimeter from which I took the screenshot above, during the RF-emitting plasma reaction.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For what it's worth, to make sure that the reaction was not solely caused by the 12V ATX power supply I used for powering the high-voltage converter (Antec EA380, a basic but otherwise standard PC power supply providing stable 12V), I tried powering up the converter with a 12V VRLA battery and it seems that much of the noise is still present, although at a lower intensity. I did not measure whether battery voltage sagged under load.

Noise was still induced in the telephone/DSL line, although not as much as before, and it still affected mostly frequencies above 20–22 MHz (this time >24 MHz). However it was a brief test.

The SNR min-max difference from the DSL router was actually only loosely similar to the actual RF spectrum measured (in the 24–85 MHz range; gray line) in proximity of the setup with a whip antenna extended to about 35 cm. RF noise intensity seemed still large, overall, but nearby speakers did not seem to get affected noticeably as with earlier tests.

It's possible that a large portion of the noise observed with a power supply connected to the mains is actually injectedinto it (and/or the power supply) and not just directly due to RF emissions. A while back I tried measuring with a clamp meter DC input power into the HV converter, and when the plasma reaction is producing strong RF emission, it shows highly oscillating values that the clamp meter sees as some sort of AC.

Another very brief test using new/clean electrolyte solution (46 ml tap water, 1.55g acetone, 1 ml 0.1M KOH) and a new 0.45mm tungsten cathode wire with 750V (OCV) immediately caused my DSL connection to fail from the EM noise emitted by the plasma or induced/injected in electric conductors nearby. A second, less intensive attempt repeated briefly after that allowed to capture the effect on the connection/line signal-noise-ratio, which again seemed to affect mostly the 22 MHz and upwards range. It seems repeatable.

Calculating the max-min SNR difference (after digitizing the data with WebPlotDigitizer) in the spectrum provided by the router immediately before/after the plasma reaction should give the spectrum of the RF signal affecting the line, which is what I tried in the second graph below:

I just wonder what would be the result with a more serious power supply with similar characteristics; the reaction could end up causing significant disruption also on equipment in nearby buildings.

Plasmoid Trappers

Their reactor was a variation of the popular plasma electrolysis experiments, using a consumable disk-shaped electrode instead of a rod or wire, alternating current and a pressurized configuration. Running it without toxic or radioactive substances in the electrolyte should be relatively safe. It has not been verified to work as intended, however.

Celani et al. tested with inconclusive results in the late '90s a unit they were given by the inventors:

https://www.researchgate.net/p…under_50_Hz_AC_excitation

Plasmoid Trappers

As far as I recall reading, general consensus among other LENR researchers was that they likely ended up breathing nuclear waste volatilized (turned into aerosol) in the process.

See: https://www.mail-archive.com/v…@eskimo.com/msg84327.html

Jed Rothwell on Sat, 13 Jul 2013 09:54:56 -0700

As noted here, those people died of cancer at a fairly young age. I cannot judge, but I got the impression their techniques and measurements were crude. That is also what others said. McKubre told me they scared the hell out of him. He thought they were "reducing" radioactivity by spewing dangerous radioactive isotopes into the air around the device.