JedRothwell Verified User
  • Member since Oct 11th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by JedRothwell

LENR is a great anti-Popperian enterprize. I wish it were not, and we could for sure have experiments that would disprove it. that would mean "LENR" was a real scientiific thing.

That is not a bit true. It would be very easy to disprove cold fusion by experiment. All you have to do is demonstrate that the first and/or second law of thermodynamics are wrong. All of calorimetry and all cold fusion excess heat experiments are predicated on these two laws -- and on nothing else. There are no modifications to conventional thermodynamics. No extra steps or additional explanations. If the laws are right, calorimetry and cold fusion are right. If you can show that heat can of itself pass from a colder body to hotter body, you have proved that cold fusion does not produce energy. That's all there is to it.

There are many unanswered questions about cold fusion, and much complexity, but the Popperian aspect of it -- calorimetry -- is dead simple. It was established by Kelvin in the 1860s. It is as falsifiable as any other theory.

People sometimes think that extremely well established theories cannot be falsified. For example, Newton's theory that white light contains all other wavelengths (colors). That's not a bit true. All you have to do is make a prism or some other device that produces a color that white light in a prism does not produce. People claim that evolution cannot be falsified. Of course it can be. As Haldane famously said, you just have to find "fossil rabbits in the Precambrian."

The obverse of this is that if you cannot prove the laws of thermodynamics are wrong, you must accept that cold fusion is real. There are no alternative explanations. THHuxley does not accept this, and in so doing, he abandons science, logic, and common sense. With regard to this subject in any case. He has absolutely no basis for the above statement or for any of his doubts about the reality of cold fusion. As Prof. Heinz Gerischer, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Physical Chemistry, said in 1991: "there [are] now undoubtedly overwhelming indications that nuclear processes take place in metal alloys."

Anywhere you can direct me to more information dumbed down to a layman's point of view would be much appreciated.

In ascending order of difficulty:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://lenr-canr.org/wordpress/?page_id=1618

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf Chapters 1 & 2

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHcoldfusionb.pdf

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/StormsEastudentsg.pdf

Everything else:

https://lenr-canr.org/

https://lenr-canr.org/wordpress/?page_id=1081

Has the United States reached herd immunity? President Biden announces that the us has injected 300 million doses of vaccine and with 33.5 million confirmed cases surely the us has reached herd immunity,

It is not even close! 300 million doses are enough to vaccinate 150 million people. Only 54% of the population has been vaccinated (150 million people):

https://www.washingtonpost.com…tates-distribution-doses/

Add 30 million confirmed cases = 180 million.The population is 330 million. (150+30)/330 = 56%. Herd immunity is estimated somewhere between 70% and 80%. Furthermore, confirmed cases are not a good way to ensure immunity. The vaccines are much better.

That is incorrect. 29% of the population in Brazil has been vaccinated.

Unfortunately they are mainly using the Chinese vaccine, which is only ~50% effective according to most sources. But it is better than nothing. See:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/b…-deaths-by-95-11622479864

(I saw a free version of this article somewhere, but I cannot find it.)

The numbers in Brazil are still high but not increasing. The disaster would be much worse without the vaccines.

he is literally trying to scare poor, uneducated Brazilians away from using the one safe, cheap drug (along with Vit D, and HCQ) they have available, that studies show can save their life.

That is incorrect. 29% of the population in Brazil has been vaccinated. Vaccines are available to everyone for free. There will soon be enough to vaccinate the rest of the population.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

https://news.cgtn.com/news/202…ent-W2X8SZ4nOo/index.html

You should refrain from making statements that are patently false.

I do not know whether ivermectin or any other drug can reduce infections and deaths. The data on this is mixed. However, there is absolutely no doubt that that vaccine reduces infections by a factor of 20 or more, and it eliminates all but a handful of deaths. It is also far cheaper than any course with ivermectin or any other drug, because you only need it once, and there is virtually no chance you will get sick and be forced to take time off or take other drugs to reduce the symptoms.

Gary Taubes "science journalist" has minimal credentials.. he knows more about sugar than LENR.

Gary Taubes is a blithering idiot. He knows nothing about a hot cup of coffee, or how electricity works. See p. 27:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofth.pdf

I would be surprised if he knows anything about sugar. I have only read reviews of his book about food, but it appears to be bullshit from start to finish. He claims that eating refined carbohydrates makes you fat. I assume white milled rice is a refined carbohydrate. In the 1970s I lived in rural Japan where people ate mostly white rice. When I say "mostly" I mean large portions three meals a day. None of them were fat. If he had in mind candy and junk food, he was wrong about that, too. Eat fewer calories and you will lose weight no matter what you eat. That's thermodynamics. See:

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

That video is a travesty. The people in it have read nothing and know nothing. That is typical of the modern era, alas.

I hope you are correct about "known by now". However, I do not think enough time has elapsed yet. I personally will give it about six more months. Issues such as cardiac, bells palsy and other issues are just now coming to light. Some of these issues such as spike proteins may not manifest for may months. Again hopefully not.

The disease produces far more spike proteins than the vaccine, and the disease has infected 179 million people. Yet the symptoms describe have not been observed. Many "long haul" problems have occured, but not the ones you list. Furthermore, tens of thousands of volunteers were vaccinated up to a year ago, yet there are no signs of problems among them. So, there is no evidence for what you fear.

It has been conclusively demonstrated that all of the objections to the vaccine are wrong. No vaccine in history has been monitored this carefully.

The new administration, having a vaccine available and "following the science" when they took office, has seen 189,604 perish since. Very sad, or an average of 1289 per day....... what????

Obviously this is because many people have not been vaccinated. Every person who gets sick or dies now is unvaccinated. In countries such as Israel where a much larger fraction of the population, the rates of infection and death have fallen close to zero.

Vaccines are now plentiful, and the entire U.S. population could easily be vaccinated, but people have chosen not to be vaccinated. You cannot blame the administration for this situation. They have done all they can to persuade people to get vaccinated.

You do not have to be anti-vaccine to be pro-Ivermectin. They both are effective, one is cheaper, has been available for years before in other use cases and avoids the concerns of many people.

Nothing is cheaper than a vaccine. Nothing comes close. The vaccines cost less than $20 per treatment (1 or 2 doses). There is no way a full treatment of ivermectin would be that cheap. Two reasons:

1. The direct cost of the pills must be higher. Assuming ivermectin works both to prevent or cure the disease, I am sure you have to take many pills over the course of treatment. That has to be more than $20.

2. There are indirect costs such as lost work days from getting sick, even with a mild case. These costs will be much higher with ivermectin, because it does not prevent or reduce the symptoms as well as the vaccine.

Ivermectin is said to prevent the disease, but no one claims it does a near-perfect job the way the vaccines do. If you get the disease, ivermectin is said to reduce the symptoms. However, it does not reduce them as much as the vaccines do in a breakthrough case. The vaccines make it very unlikely you will need any treatment at all. So, to evaluate the cost, you have to include the cost of getting the disease even though you took ivermectin, versus the cost of getting the disease even though you were vaccinated. The former will be much more common and therefore much more expensive. There will be the cost of treatment, and lost work days, and family members dealing with your disease. This will surely cost hundreds of dollars per patient, maybe thousands. So, a one-for-one comparison will show that ivermectin or any medicine that fights the symptoms rather than preventing the disease altogether is far more expensive.

Along the same lines, many drugs reduce the severity of influenza. They will reduce suffering and perhaps even help you avoid pneumonia, saving your life. But if you get influenza, you will suffer, and you will lose a week of work. It will cost you a lot of money. There are even antivirals that reportedly kill off the virus altogether, but you still get sick for several days. Whereas an influenza vaccine usually eliminates the disease completely. You are not infected. You get no symptoms at all. You lose no time at work. You lose no sleep. Influenza vaccines are less effective than COVID vaccines, with more breakthrough cases, but the breakthrough cases are often so mild you don't even realize you are sick. (That happened to me one year.)

But I am concerned about the observation that some members do think this is for sure related to LENR without sufficient proof.

I do not think anyone is claiming this is related to LENR. The only resemblance so far is that they both involve metal. Otherwise they seem quite different. The only reason I would have to think it is LENR is what Mike McKubre calls "the conservation of miracles."

Therefore my example assumption is based on possible oxidation of hydrogen with the catalytic help of palladium.

That would produce heat, not electricity. Unless this is a fuel cell, and I don't see how it could be a fuel cell.

I guess I should have asked: "How much potential electric energy can this device store, in some form of a battery?"

Even if you could show it has a megajoule of potential heat energy, I do not see how that would be relevant.

I get that we want to look at the most conservative scenario to estimate of potential energy. But I see no point to looking at impossible scenarios, such as hydrogen combining with oxygen to produce electricity.

So almost impossible to prove LENRs are occurring this way.

4,7 uJ was obtained in 15 second, versus 64 Joules obtained by chemical reaction => 6.5 years of monitoring. Not doable.

Your starting assumption seems unrealistic:

"To give a rough indication, assume a volume of 3 cm3 of hydrogen oxidized to H2O:"

It is 3 cm^3 of metal, isn't it? Not hydrogen. How much energy could be stored in metal?

With an electrochemical cold fusion cell people sometimes insist on including the total mass of glass and water. Those materials are chemically inert, so I think that analysis is unrealistic. The only possible source of chemical energy in a cold fusion cell is the cathode, and that only counts if you ignore the fact that the calorimeter can measure endothermic storage just as accurately as an exothermic effect, assuming the two are about the same duration.

I read it as a whole, and I agree he died from the virus, but if you put it all together, the post Mortem says he got good antigen titers from “The jab”, yet they did not protect him at all from getting Covid from an hospital roommate

I think that means it is an extreme "breakthrough" case. There have only been few fatal breakthrough cases. Most are mild. I suppose this was severe because the patient was old. Elderly people often have weak immune systems. So, for example, they need a stronger dose of influenza vaccine.

Jed, I don't doubt there is an energy release.

To prove LENRs are occurring we should exclude any other (conventional) source of energy.

I see what you mean. The best way exclude a conventional source of energy is to let the thing run and continue to monitor both power and energy output. When the energy output exceeds the limits of chemistry by a wide margin, you know the effect is anomalous. That might be challenging because the energy flow is so low.

It is fairly easy to estimate the limits of chemical energy with a palladium cold fusion cell. You estimate approximately how much energy the fully loaded cathode can hold. I don't know how much energy an LEC could hold -- if any. It would be some sort of battery. I guess the crude approximation would be to estimate how much energy the LEC would produce if it were made from coal or gasoline. Gasoline produces 46 MJ/kg. No common chemicals exceed that limit. As a practical matter, no device made of metal could even approach that, or one-tenth of that.

The highest energy density of a modern Li-ion battery is 100 - 265 Wh/kg. 265 Wh = 0.954 MJ (a suspiciously round number).

https://www.cei.washington.edu…solar/battery-technology/

I guess if the active components of the LEC exceed that several times over we can be sure it is anomalous. I don't know what the active components would be. I guess we could just take the whole mass. I assume the 265 Wh/kg figure for Li-ion batteries includes the battery packaging and other inert components.

Re Jed's comments about pressurised electrolytes, I came across this paper by Irv Dardik of 'superwave' fame - presented at ICCF 10. Towards the end of the paper, a pressurised reactor is described, but I have been unable to find if it was ever built and tested.

I don't know if it was ever made.

I wasn't actually advocating the use of pressurized liquid cold fusion cells as practical devices. I suppose gas loaded ones have more promise, for the reasons discussed here. Especially the higher temperatures. I was only pointing out that it is possible to make liquid devices that work at temperatures above 100°C. They would resemble pressurized water fission reactors (PWR). Which are not the safest gadgets around. They are not ideal. Something like a dry pebble bed fission reactor would resemble a gas loaded cold fusion reactor, with similar advantages. Many serious nuclear power plant accidents, such as Three Mile Island and Connecticut Yankee, were caused by plumbing problems. Things like pipes getting clogged up, valves getting stuck open, or leaks.