Jennifer Ouellette: End of 56 years of Scientific American

• I re-post this here as a new thread, the subject is symbolic of what has gone wrong in "Big Science". Perhaps the Google web crawler will pick it up.

"I cringe to see the name Jennifer Ouellette-- Google has that on record with what may be an ambiguous coincidence of a NY hat designer of the same name. Ouellette single handedly destroyed my ~56 year subscription history with Scientific American which began shortly after my father happened to buy me one in the summer of 1956 (had an article on the "plasma jet"-- I remember well). So from 1957 to 2013 I had diligently saved every issue--- that era is over, with great sadness. [Do not be concerned that I no longer read, I am an AAAS an ACS and an AACR member and do keep myself up to date with the publications from them. I've been thinking of trying New Scientist just to get back to science reportage written with an open mind.....]"

• And indeed the Google web crawler did pick up my commentary on the shamefully inadequate science reporting by "English Major" Ouellette. Of course by now it is old news, but I for one will never forget the parade of nincompoops who have rushed to defend the status quo from the relentless flow of progress. Ouellette's greatest error was not in using old and erroneous data to write her piece-- which was certainly bad enough.... but in defending it so vehemently, and literally editing away criticisms distasteful to her. Ouellete has irreparably damaged Scientific American's cred, and has even more severely damaged her own. I will never read anything by her with other than extremely skeptical prejudice.

So the key to a quick "find" by the Google web crawler appears to be 1) setting a thread here and 2) mentioning the word "Google" in the article itself. The AI that Google uses is known to be very found of cats, but apparently is also fond of its own name.... The key to immediate celebrity of course would be to name your product "cat"... and we we don't have to guess who did that. Then the next step is to make sure Google is mentioned in the PR announcement of your new "cat" (hot-cat, e-cat, cat and mouse and so on.)

It took less than 4 hours for the web crawler to pick up my correction of the spelling of Ouellette' s surname.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.