Freethinker's replication attempts

• In my experiments I have measured 3x of background in temperatures around 100 - 400°C. But these were just peaks.
    With other Geiger Counter there was clear corellation between ambient temperature and counts. But it was opposite here - higher temperature = less counts. In this case this was clear fault of the device.

• Hi all

As suggested two or more radiation monitors would be better for confirming radiation release from the reactor.

You would have the second one with a lead shield between it and the reactor. You can put the second detector on a mobile rig with a lead shield between it and the reactor. First just using a simple stand or a perhaps wheeled one. Consider putting the detector rig on a circular track with the reactor at the centre of the circle, try hanging it from a suspended curtain rail for a cheap option as track.

Also consider putting old fashioned film negative, or instant print film in a black plastic bags at points around the reactor, as cross check to see both if the radiation is directional and to act as a confirmation of source.

IMHO from reading Pamela Mossier-Boss and from the reported successful LENR reactions radiation seems to counter the classic F&P anomalous heat output and seems to poison the reaction possibly by being a symptom of too powerful a reaction that then destroys the active site.

The analogy that comes to mind is a car engine back firing because the reaction is not occurring efficiently. In a car this can often be because the fuel is igniting outside the combustion chamber. Or it can be in the combustion chamber because the fuel mixture is too lean.

If the analogy is close then. You maybe finding a way of varying the fuel mix is useful. Of course we do not know for certain what is the fuel but I think we can consider ways of altering the various factors on the fly so as to test the hypothesis. Ultrasound could possibly be used as well as magnetic fields.

Of more use would be a range of fuel mixes around the levels when radiation was seen are needed in order to specify it and to see if as I suspect many of us think, that this is indicative of being in the ball park. I suspect that this is just repeating what Rossi and others since have done in order to get a working reaction.

Kind Regards walker

• @Walker

Thanks for the input. It is true that a second device would be good to secure the detection from being spurious. But there are other ways that are faster. The fact that I have reached the same levels on two consecutive days, the activity being highly correlated and causal with control actions confirm it on a level good enough for me. While pulling the power to increase it (my usual modus operandi) I noted an immediate rise of the cpm of 55 units. Note: essentially same temperature. Second, I dropped the power for a few moments to induce a small temperature drop, at a later time, and when the power was again engaged, the cpm increased 40 points, again essentially same temperature.

I don't think this is artifact from thermal stress on the GMC device. The device was today make shift shielded, and there are no other source that make sense at this point, except the reactor. In the current composition of the reactor, at about 1000C, there is a distinct elevated presence of radiation of a kind the GMC310 react on. I know nothing of species, or energy.

What I also note is that there is no excess heat, and it seem as though when the count go up the temp go down a ever so small amount. Enough times to make it interesting.

Your analogy to a car is fitting. I noticed in my first active run, semi successful, that when I pulled down power, the pressure increased. Possibly this is what is seen here, as when I pull the power the count go up, possibly being a release of H- to the core chamber. Maybe, having this failed mix, what I see is the mechanism, but from another "angle".

• Very interesting.

I have tested GMC-300 and it is highly affected by ambient temperature so that around 40°C counts are nearly not detected at all.
    What you are describing is opposite, so I guess that count increase may be even bigger than registered. I suppose that counters are similar inside.

If you have seen sharp count increase, than definitively something happened.

• Very interesting.

I have tested GMC-300 and it is highly affected by ambient temperature so that around 40°C counts are nearly not detected at all.
    What you are describing is opposite, so I guess that count increase may be even bigger than registered. I suppose that counters are similar inside.

If you have seen sharp count increase, than definitively something happened.

The causality is there. No doubt.

Today GMC data, BTW. https://drive.google.com/file/…YlE/view?usp=docslist_api

• I'm not describing the opposite of your findings. The Geiger counter was always at ~70 F. and tested correct with a calibration standard.

My limited understanding of this subject relates to the p+p->He reaction producing gamma radiation in the IR range. I measured heat and with a Geiger counter no significant increase over background radiation. I'm trying to get a better understanding of this nanoscale hydrogen fusion reaction but it's becoming more mysterious instead. Back when I was doing this work I'd decided that for other than thermal measurements a windowless detector would be necessary. The Ocean Optics spectrometer worked well for the heat output measurements and spectral analysis.

• @ogfusionist

Thanks for your input.

I think your setup is so different, with H2 flowing and NiO. I think in my case we are in a space where supposedly LiAl and LiH would be melted possible split up, and filling out the nanoscale cavities of Ni particles, and where protons, H,and H- would interact with Li. I guess, for I cannot say I know.

Whatever happens in my reactor right now, is wrong. Something is klicking, not being present or any other kind of non event phrase that may fit. It is like the drive is there but the recipient of that drive is not, it just left the building, and it was not Elvis.

As interesting as this run is, I think I need move forward, with a new fuel, and retry. After all, I am not sure I have correct (in absolute terms) readings of the radiation, and I don't fancy that kind of tan.

Spectroscopy is for another day.

• Hi all

I felt it important to re-affirm this:

My suggestion for direction radiation detection is not just about confirmation.

• Safety. We know radiation levels so far seen in LENR have been short lived and no higher than what a smoke alarm puts out. If radiation observed in LENR is directional from the reactor then it may be that a particular zone around the reactor may be a cause for concern, like the business end of an X Ray machine or Laser, I realise such a coherent beam would be unusual but then so is LENR. What you see in a single static detector may be just spill, or a none directional burst; post turning off the power. The precautionary principle means that directionality and coherence need to be excluded.
    • Scientific: If radiation from LENR is directional then that would suggest electro magnetic influences.
    • Scientific: If the radiation is from a specific spot in the reactor it may be that the material in that spot needs closer examination.
    • Supporting evidence of LENR being a nuclear source, it would be a legitimate area for sceptics to question, there fore it is better to check before in order to refute that line of questioning.

I realise that an additional detector may be a considerable expense, but the instant film is relatively cheap.

Kind Regards Walker

• @FreethinkerLenr2

Every time your experiment is on stop let your Geiger counter record the ambient events.
    You will accumulate a solid baseline and perhaps detect unexpected events.
    A simple piece of software would perform a fast analysis or the accumulated data for peaks.

Thanks for the input.

You're right, but for my purpose it is not needed.

I have baseline recorded already, and it will suffice.

• I will in no way say you're wrong in anything you state above.

I can tell you this: I moved the GMC around and found that I had high levels from the side as well, even on top of the insulation brick (however lower value). These were quick, dirty, and ad hoc tests. There is no doubt in my mind that the GMC registered counts in what it is capable of measuring. LENR is a nuclear source as far as my experience goes ( badly worded, as there I no anomalous heat, it could be debated). But I need to move on, and I find I am not equipped to do more in radiation. Mind you, the GMC device was for me first and foremost a safety device. Well it has beeped. I have been exposed for hours in this low level radiation field, of which I know nothing about the radiation type, the actual instrument sensitivity for whatever type at some energy, and indeed the energy itself.

I pass on further test on this, and refuel. Sorry.

• The Geiger counter is only capable of measuring the gamma level the alpha and betas would not escape the reactor anyway.

Related to hydrogen fusion, my reactor when fusing hydrogen produces no significant increase in the standard background. There is no significant ionizing radiation associated with this form of fusion.
    You'll have to use the sun for a suntan the lenr reaction won't do.
    What count level were you measuring?

• FreethinkerLenr2 your posts indicate that you have access to some unique data. Don't pass considering that a fiberoptics probe input to an Ocean Optics Spectrometer looking at the light from your experiment would give some extremely significant elemental analysis. I was amazed at the capability of the instrument when I pointed the probe to a fluorescent lamp and recorded the elements responsible for the light. The instrument was available for me at work, I've been long retired. The GMC's like to sound off and the beeping count does not mean a danger level if used in high sensitivity range. Fortunately lenr does not produce much of a radiation hazard. The gamma are mostly in the infra red range.

• The Geiger counter is only capable of measuring the gamma level the alpha and betas would not escape the reactor anyway.

Related to hydrogen fusion, my reactor when fusing hydrogen produces no significant increase in the standard background. There is no significant ionizing radiation associated with this form of fusion.
    You'll have to use the sun for a suntan the lenr reaction won't do.
    What count level were you measuring?

To be complete, let us say it could also detect neutrons as generators of short-lived isotopes which in turn could give betas and/or gammas, within, outside or on the outer extremities of bricks, the window face of the Geiger-Mueller Counter etc. Energetic protons might also make it through the bricks and definitely give a nice click, recall the "rest" diameter of a proton is about 1000th of that of an electron or a small atom. Fast protons are even smaller.

Of course a solar event can have huge neutrino flux, greatly increasing the effective instantaneous neutrino "concentration" flowing through an LENR apparatus. Such events have been rarely, but sometimes clearly, associated with anomalous heat or other CF / LENR reported behavior. Remember there is a possible connection between neutrinos and the W-L-S scheme as in e- + p+ + vo --> no While neutrinos may be optional, they can at least account for spin conservation.

On an earlier point: let's please agree that an IR photon is hardly a gamma. Energy at say a short "near" IR photon of 1000 nm, is thousands to many billions of times less than any true gamma, which gamma are surely shorter than 1 nm (1 nm is just a low voltage "soft" X-ray bordering on extreme UV or "XUV"... a 10 kV electron to tungsten impact produces a mean of around a one angstrom X-ray, or 0.1 nm), while the metrology is sometimes vague, a gamma is often considered to be < 0.01 nm and on to much much shorter... as in cosmic rays where the wavelength may be less than an attometer or 10^-18 meter.

Longview

• Thanks Longview for the review. I appreciate that when an event is registered by the counter the process that caused the breakdown in the counter can be complex and also be a result of particle interaction with the window of the detector. When I checked the radiation from my fusion reactor I was particularly pleased to find little if any increase over background. This, if I interpreted correctly meant that there is little ionizing radiation that escapes the reactor in the LENR reaction mode. Much safer than the fission reaction.

Way back when I worked as a radiation safety engineer life was much simpler. There were only fast electrons, helium nuclei and gammas to worry about. The helium transmutation produces gammas as thermal radiation. So I'm simple minded, can't help it.

• Very nice report.

Did you preheated Nickel before adding rest of the fuel to the reactor?

Yes. I have made a make shift heater from some Kanthal wire and a Al2O3 brick, and a battery charger and some power resistors. It gives about 220 degrees at the end but go very slowly there. So yes, the Ni was preheated, baked, for 2 h before applying LAH and Al2O3 powder.

• @FreethinkerLenr2: still wondering what might have caused this behavior change. Besides having purged pressure once, since when did you start baking your Ni powder in air?

:) good question. And one of the factors with highest weight of probability to make a difference in this. Of course. This is the first run. That need to be added to the text as well. The purpose of baking is expunging some O2 and boil out H20 which in theory would create a more rugged and surface with nice cavities.

IN EDIT: I have updated my document with this important info

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.