Small-scale nuclear fusion could become a new source of energy - Press release from the University of Gothenburg. (Leif Holmlid and Sveinn Ólafsson)

• Axil is good. Real good, in what he does.

Though spilling utter crap is not very difficult.

But he is consistent, so maybe that will turn imaginary realities upside down.

• Axil is good. Real good, in what he does.

Though spilling utter crap is not very difficult.

But he is consistent, so maybe that will turn imaginary realities upside down.

I am more than good, I am correct. For a change of pace from bababa, you might try logic, research, and references to disprove my contention.

• The above diagram figures as a prominent sidebar in the "Evanescent Wave" Wikipedia article, however the caption is apparently the only place in the article where the underlined phrase occurs, specifically the word polariton is only found there. But I already indicated I am not disputing your theories, Axil. However, I am certain that both SPR and SPP can be best induced by lasers. To do that the usual plane polarization must surely be taken into consideration. Since lasers are typically coherent and often plane polarized, the requirement is simply that the laser beam polarization must parallel to the incidence plane (s-polarized light does not induce SPR). The coherence and hence collective action of the laser photons makes the resulting resonance much stronger and more predictable in behavior that is induced by arbitrarily phased and artbitrarily polarized photons from an incoherent source. At best the incoherent source will produce a much weaker resonance field for a given number of watts per unit area.

Switching over from surface plasmon resonance where I have some experience to surface plasmon polaritons where I have none: I suspect the lifetime of any polariton will likely be much shorter with an incoherent light source (if only from self interference effects). For reactions, such as LENR, the lifetime of any participating reactive intermediates such as polaritons, should be an issue. I will concede this: that if more than one energy of polariton is required in a multi-step process, then an incoherent source is the only easy way to provide such a plurality of energies. But, if that is the case, then careful selection and or tuning of two or more distinct energy level laser sources may make for much higher LENR yield (perhaps dangerously so). Of course IR lasers of great power exist and some are tunable-- if IR is the requisite level of photon energy required--- as you suggest... then experiments should be undertaken as soon as some theoretical framework can make the results meaningful (as I suggested earlier).

• http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1405/1405.1657.pdf

Plasmonics with a twist: taming optical tornadoes on the nanoscale

Out of all the references I can suggest to you, this one is the most descriptive of the nanoparticle production of SPPs.

Note on page 2 continued at the top of 3

The electric field enhancement is a manifestation of the resonant excitation of collective oscillations of free charge carriers in some materials (e.g., free electrons in metals) by the external light sources or embedded emitters. In the language of quantum mechanics, this process can be explained as the excitation of plasmons (quanta of plasma oscillations). The collective dynamics of plasmons is driven by 3 the long-range correlations caused by Coulomb forces, and can be drastically modified by engineering the boundaries of the spatial region filled by electron plasma. In particular, bulk plasmons confined in thin metal films can couple with photons to create surface plasmon-polariton (SPP) waves [22]. On the other hand, illumination-induced collective response of plasmons confined in nanoparticles is manifested in the excitation of quantized localized surface plasmon (LSP) modes with different angular momenta [23].

SPPs can last as long for hundreds of picoseconds. SPPs acquire additional energy by positive feedback of nuclear fusion energy and they store it as EMF, they release this energy via bosenova(as per Dr. Kim) whereupon the reestablish rapidly.

• Regarding:

"For reactions, such as LENR, the lifetime of any participating reactive intermediates such as polaritons, should be an issue. I will concede this: that if more than one energy of polariton is required in a multi-step process, then an incoherent source is the only easy way to provide such a plurality of energies"

Success in LENR requires that a broad range of micro and nanoparticle sizes are required to support "gear mode amplification".

These particles of many sizes will each receive their own tuned resonant EMF frequency as an unique antenna of a particular dimension. A single frequency will restrict the number of particles by resonant size that will receive power from the ambient EMF background.

• Thanks for the reference. That piece above looks well written.

My remaining concern with incoherent Surface Plasmon effects or surface plasmonics, is now not so much whether or not they are the answer to some or even all the LENR effects [I imagine they could well be involved], but whether this incoherent form indicates a much stronger coherent effect may occur if the plasmons / polaritons were themselves coherent. Most familiar with lasers know that a 5 watt laser can nearly instantly blind, maim and kill. A 5 watt incoherent source such as a Christmas tree bulb can do no such thing with any speed. It is the same with many photochemical reactions. Coherence can count exceedingly strongly in terms of resonant energy delivery.... it is even fairly simple physics as well as chemistry or biology.

So in my last post I was seriously suggesting that we all need to identify what, if any IR photons are involved in the manner you suggest or claim. If you are right, then the path of development should be clear.....

• The key to successful LENR engineering is the ability for the system to produce alkali element based nanoparticles (Rydberg matter including hydrogen) continually to replace the particles that are destroyed by transmutation.

• The key to successful LENR engineering is the ability for the system to produce alkali element based nanoparticles (Rydberg matter including hydrogen) continually to replace the particles that are destroyed by transmutation.

I suppose by this you are suggesting that is the limiting step in the process?

It does not seem very compelling at this stage. That is to say, how rare are such nanoparticles?

Now if you make a compelling case that they (alkali metal nanoparticles) are the essential ingredient, then I would suggest to make that the subject of research focus (and I suppose some already have....?). Alkali metal nanoparticles themselves do not sound too difficult, since vapors of K, Na etc. are easily made. Positioning them in /on a transition metal catalyst might be an issue.

• I suppose by this you are suggesting that is the limiting step in the process?

It does not seem very compelling at this stage. That is to say, how rare are such nanoparticles?

Now if you make a compelling case that they (alkali metal nanoparticles) are the essential ingredient, then I would suggest to make that the subject of research focus (and I suppose some already have....?). Alkali metal nanoparticles themselves do not sound too difficult, since vapors of K, Na etc. are easily made. Positioning them in /on a transition metal catalyst might be an issue.

Holmlid is the authority on Rydberg matter production. But his technology is not compatible with infrared stimulation. I has given replicators the mechanism on how to produce rydberg matter here on this site but no one has taken it seriously.

Deflation took my advice back in 2011 when I recommended the use of potassium carbide as the catalyst that would generate hydrogen based rydberg matter compatible with infrared photons. Defkalion was successful.

I have since recommended the addition of hydrogen to potassium carbide as an alternative to LAH. I will repeat that post for your convinence as follows:

==========

Reference:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.390.4631&rep=rep1&type=pdf

A novel model for the interpretation of the unidentified infrared (UIR)
    bands from interstellar space: deexcitation of Rydberg Matter

I have been looking for ways to optimize production of Rydberg matter whose generation is discribed by Lief Holmlid in the reference above and except below.

We now report on a model in
    which all UIR bands are due to electronic deexcitation in the
    condensed phase named Rydberg Matter. This type of very low density
    condensed matter is formed by condensation of Rydberg
    states of almost any type of atom or small molecule, in space
    mainly hydrogen atoms and molecules. The intial formation of
    Rydberg states is due to desorption of alkali atoms from surfaces
    of small particles, especially carbon particles. This desorption
    can be caused by radiation or moderate heat and gives long lived
    circular Rydberg states. Rydberg Matter can be produced
    in macroscopic quantities in the laboratory.

To meet this method of rydberg matter production using carbon based generation capability as suggested above, I looked for a chemical compound that would be superior to (LAH; Lithium tetrahydridoaluminate) that contained Carbon to enhance Rydberg matter production, an Alkali metal. and Hydrogen. I assumed that replacing aluminum with carbon would make a better catalyst for producing Rydberg matter. My search for a replacement led to two alkkali compounds in the same family as follows:

lithium hydrogen acetylide Li HC2
    potassium hydrogen acetylide KHC2

See
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylide

When these acetylides are heated, hydrogen is released, then the alkali metal is released from the carbon as the temperature rises. After the release of hydrogen, potassium/lithium carbide is formed. Potassium carbide was the active LENR material in the DGT reaction. In the old days, this stuff was used in miners lanterns to produce illuminating gas when water was added.

As a disclaimer, I am not a chemist, so I don’t know the toxicity and explosion risks of these compounds. Please help here.

IMHO, to test the Rydberg matter cause of LENR, a series of tests using one or both of these Acetylide based compounds might be worth a try.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...it might be a patent thing.

Quote from Longview

I suppose by this you are suggesting that is the limiting step in the process?

Quote from axil

: Holmlid is the authority on Rydberg matter production. But his technology is not compatible with infrared stimulation. I has given replicators the mechanism on how to produce rydberg matter here on this site but no one has taken it seriously.

Thanks for bringing up the acetylide points again, I remember it, mainly because my recollection was that it was calcium carbide that generates acetylene in the presence of water, calcium being an alkaline earth. I recommend highly the Britannica article as a delight to read compared to the usual untrusted online encyclopedia:

http://www.britannica.com/science/carbide

Quote from axil

: Deflation [sic] took my advice back in 2011 when I recommended the use of potassium carbide as the catalyst that would generate hydrogen based rydberg matter compatible with infrared photons. Defkalion was successful.

The problem there may well be the stoichiometry of carbon and alkali metals. Of course they can react, but the product is not an acetylide, but a methanide. The general formula in the case of alkali metals is M2C2. With the alkaline earths you see the MC2 general formula.

Quote from axil

I have since recommended the addition of hydrogen to potassium carbide as an alternative to LAH. I will repeat that post for your convinence as follows:

Thanks for that repost, Axil. So by adding hydrogen, you at least theoretically regain the acetylide structure. But, are these compounds stable? Are they an article of trade, that is are they available form some specialty suppliers? They are surely very moisture sensitive, more so than Li Al H4 (by the way, I recommend avoiding the nomenclature you use above, since "aluminate" implies oxidation of the aluminum.

==========

Quote from axil

Reference:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.390.4631&rep=rep1&type=pdf

A novel model for the interpretation of the unidentified infrared (UIR)
    bands from interstellar space: deexcitation of Rydberg Matter

This reminds me of the most serious critique of many CF / LENR proposed mechanisms. That is, if the mechanisms and/or the reactants are expected to be widely found in the Universe, then one would also expect the signatures of the reaction products widely dispersed as well. If Rydberg matter is important, and if it is found widely in interstellar space, then the argument says it should have caused signatures of the specific expected fusion reactions to be evident everywhere. I think that is how the argument goes, but in any case the actual version is fairly impressive. The warning here is, don't seek mechanisms that are too cosmopolitan, that is too universal... lest you undermine your own case.

• Longview, I have just revealed the tip of the iceberg to you. Here is a preview of more.

Science has discovered how another part of the LENR mechanism functions: how the movement of polaritons inside of EMF soliton can produce a dark mode that is an effective EMF black hole. The absence of EMF radiation is the result of the current being divided between two different components, a conventional electric dipole (this is the plasmon in the SPP) and a toroidal dipole (this is the polariton in an SPP) (associated with poloidal current configuration), which produce identical fields at a distance.

If these two configurations are out of phase then the radiation will be cancelled out, even though the electromagnetic fields are non-zero in the area close to the currents.

This also expains how SPPs are dark matter.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-08-t…nless-revolution.html#jCp

Futhermore, nanovortices have mass.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-nanovortices.html

This has profound implications for the characterization of cosmic LENR. There is evidence that space is filled with excited hydrogen and helium. These vast areas between galaxies form dusty plasma that produce extreme ultraviolet light and soft x-rays to the tune of 400% above any possible celestial body source.

http://phys.org/news/2014-07-c…nting-reveals-crisis.html

Cosmic accounting reveals missing light crisis

Another clue in the ubiquitous intergalactic soliton based LENR process that occurs through intergalactic space as dark matter has now appeared. There is 400% more extreme ultraviolet (XUV) light in intergalactic space than can be accounted for from other energetic XUV light sources like black holes and young hot stars.

Space is filled with hydrogen covered dust that produces XUV as well as to serve as a source of dark matter which provides gravity that keeps galaxies from flying apart.

Intergalactic dust clouds support the LENR active soliton based XUV factories that upshift heat and gamma photons into the XUV spectrum range.

Some quotes from the article:

"Either our accounting of the light from galaxies and quasars is very far off, or there's some other major source of ionizing photons that we've never recognized," Kollmeier said. "We are calling this missing light the photon underproduction crisis.

"The most exciting possibility is that the missing photons are coming from some exotic new source, not galaxies or quasars at all,"

Isn’t ironic that this new exotic source of XUV photons is one of their most hated and ridiculed pseudoscience concepts: the LENR process.

Continuing further, the dark matter inside galaxies behave as if this strange stuff was coherent and exist in a huge galaxy wide BEC.

So dark matter must be SPPs

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0805.3827.pdf

BEC dark matter can explain collisions of galaxy clusters

<snip>
    we have reinterpreted cold dark matter as a Bose-Einstein condensate". So, "the ultra-light bosons forming the condensate share the same quantum wave function, so disturbance patterns are formed on astronomic scales in the form of large-scale waves".

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-07-reinterpreting-dark.html#jCp
    <End snip>

Why invent a new particle when SPPs can fit all the requirements of dark matter.

One thing that this idea will imply is that light gains mass when it becomes entangled with electrons.

Light and electrons could be entangled on a cosmological large scale to form a polariton BEC soliton much as they do in LENR.

Polaritons are supposed to be almost massless forming bosons, but are they? .

In NiH reactor will be a great test bed to explore the polariton BEC in understanding dark matter cosmology more deeply.

I had conjectured that Cosmic LENR had mass and it was in fact the source of the mass attributed to dark matter. Well "nanovortices have mass experiment" is the experiment that shows that nano vortices which includes LENR associated vortices have mass.

How is the mass produced? The superconductivity of the “EMF black hole” slows down photons below light speed in the same way that the Higgs mechanism produces mass in the electron. The higgs mechanism and the SPP (EMF black hole) are essenually the same, and example of parallelism in that both produce mass in massless particles.

There is the lithium problem that is solved by rydberg matter and the LENR reaction.

https://www.newscientist.com/a…ings-the-lithium-problem/

SNIP

When we count up the lithium atoms held in stars, there is only one-third as much of the lithium-7 isotope as there should be. Another isotope, lithium-6, is overabundant: there may be as much as 1000 times too much of it.

ENDSNIP

We know from the Lugano test that lithium 7 readily gives its neutron away to form lithium 6

And per Dr. G. Miley, who explains how most of the elements in the universe are produced by the LENR reaction.

• OK, That is all quite interesting, almost like good fiction. But, I still need simple testable hypotheses to move forward. Grand visions surely will recur in the eventual revolution to come. As a retrospective example: even Einstein's visions (Special and General Relativity) have been repeatedly tested in various ways.

The correct path is in there somewhere. Physics has been plagued by dogmas many times before. Critical tests can sort out the underlying reality [reveal ever bigger slices of the actual "iceberg"} to synthesize the ever-expanding data our advancing instruments now give us. The somewhat painful part of testing is that one may have to abandon a favored idea or two.

Anyway, thanks Axil for your patient discourse.

Longview

• Here is more and it is simple and testable.

There have been experiments performed that show nuclear activity as a result of this powerful EMF concentration. This powerful anapole magnetic beam may be causing a compensating production of negative vacuum energy associated with these SPP nano sized solitons.

I list these experiments below that show increased rates of nuclear decay of radioactive isotopes, and fission of thorium without neutrons. These are wet systems where gold nano particles are irradiated with a relatively low powered laser. When these gold nano-particles are not present, no nuclear effects are observed.

I reference nanoplasmonic based experiments here to show how the confinement of electrons on the surface of gold nanoparticles: a nanoplasmonic mechanism can change the half-life of U232 from 69 years to 6 microseconds. It also causes thorium to fission without neutrons.

See references:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fpdf%2F1112.6276&ei=nI6UUeG1Fq-N0QGypIAg&usg=AFQjCNFB59F1wkDv-NzeYg5TpnyZV1kpKQ&sig2=fhdWJ_enNKlLA4HboFBTUA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmQ

Experiments showing the same mechanism as listed below:

"Laser-induced synthesis and decay of Tritium under exposure of solid targets in heavy water"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.0830

Initiation of nuclear reactions under laser irradiation of Au nanoparticles in the presence of Thorium aqua ions

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0906/0906.4268.pdf

In these experiments, nano geometry of particles converts light energy from the laser into vortex motion of electrons in a nanoplasmonic “Dark Mode” soliton produced on the surface of the gold nanoparticles. Without the gold nanoparticles, laser light alone is ineffectual in producing these effects in this type of experiment.

The powerful emission of a nano-scale magnetic anapole beam by the soliton produces the separation of the vacuum into positive and negative energy zones. Through quantum fluctuation damping, the magnetic beam also forces the entanglement of the soliton with the U232 nucleus by pumping high levels of magnetic energy into the vacuum. This vacuum energy pumping using EMF energy from microwaves also happens in the EmDrive system under development by NASA where some laser beam probes exceed the speed of light.

In another thought, action of nano sized particles and structures could be based on time acceleration by those nano structures as a result of negative vacuum energy production. This mechanism could be the cause of catalytic reaction acceleration.

It was recently discovered in the EmDrive system that laser beams passing through certain volumes of the microwave cavity traveled faster than light. This may be due to the segregation of negative vacuum energy produced by the uneven concentration of EMF which separates the vacuum into positive and negative zones of energy.

The EmSystem may be producing virtual particles, that is, making real particles spring out of the vacuum just like Holmlid does with mesons. This particle creation mechanism is also simple and testable.

In conclusion, I am interested in how rapid if not almost instantaneous radioactive stabilization of radioactive isotopes occurs and only stable isotopes result from nuclear reactions caused by this nanoplasmonic based effect. I am impressed by the possible role of negative vacuum energy in this regard as described in the paper “Effects of Vacuum Fluctuation Suppression on Atomic Decay Rates”.
    At: http://arxiv.org/pdf/0907.1638v1.pdf

• The physical and chemical alterations of isotopic decay rates you cite... very interesting material. The theoretical implications are fascinating as well. After recently reading the Hotson articles in Infinite Energy [issues 43 and 44] where Hotson re-examines Dirac's initial relativistic version of the wave equation, I am much more confident we can understand such results, perhaps even the "faster than light" reports you cited.

The necessity of the solid nanoparticles in the decay alterations shows us that condensed matter can offer useful mechanisms unrealizable in gas or plasma environments-- certainly this bears directly on both LENR and F & P mechanisms. Of course the gold particles in transparent liquid under intense laser illumination can provide strong SPR and SPP, even if only momentarily.

The provision of "activation energy" to accelerate the production of alpha particles may be one consequence. The slowing of decay could show the effect of some "catalyzed" alternate pathway that does not yield alphas or betas. Essentially such a mechanism can pump from a nearly forbidden (slow) transition state up to another state that is completely forbidden to decay or perhaps to one that rapidly decays in another way.

Note: I choose to look at those phenomena through such simplifying (reductionist) assumptions as part of my desire to see the events tested to tease out the actual underlying mechanisms.

• Reference:

“WHAT TO NOT DO IN LENR DESIGN
    a) Piantelli: To invest any hopes in the domain below Debye temperature for any metal'”

Besides nickel(450K), the other group 10 elements: palladium(274K) and platinum(240K) have a Debye temperature below the freezing point of water. Gold(165K) and silver(225K) have a Debye temperature close to the freeing point of CO2. Only Holmlid’s substrate of choice, Iridium(420K), has a Debye temperature on a par with nickel.

But there is something wrong with this assumption about Debye temperature. This assumption was violated with respect to Iridium since Holmlid got muons to appear under florescent light in his Lab at room temperature.

On the other hand, the muons could have been produced by potassium(91K) and/or solid hydrogen(?K).

A “secret sauce” alkali catalyst could make Piantelli’s observations about Debye temperature irrelevant.

• Reference:

“WHAT TO NOT DO IN LENR DESIGN
    a) Piantelli: To invest any hopes in the domain below Debye temperature for any metal'”

Axil Axil wrote: But there is something wrong with this assumption about Debye temperature. This assumption was violated with respect to Iridium since Holmlid got muons to appear under florescent light in his Lab at room temperature.

Agreed. For one thing the behavior of compounds of the elements are vastly varied from their constituent atoms As mentioned metallic carbon, apparently by far the highest DeBye temperature of all elements, and beryllium the next highest. It would be interesting to see what "George" György Egely says about carbon. Look at his 2012 patent http://patents.justia.com/inventor/gy-rgy-egely

Where at least he (who is likely the same Egely who is now an editor at Infinite Energy Magazine) is proposing to use carbon powder or nanoparticles as a medium for LENR. Prominently mentioned is polaritons, by the way.

No one would accuse Piantelli of deliberate misdirection. But he may have been over extending some pet theory. I imagine in terms of functionality one may argue for higher DeBye temperature materials as at least a useful component in LENR reactors.

Personally, I have little or no familiarity with the implications of Debye temperature in all this. Glad to receive some instruction. But, it appears counter intuitive to me at this point, unless perhaps it was a translation error from Italian... The Debye temperature is the highest temperature at which one finds the highest frequency modal excitation (and all other lesser modes as well), if the usual online source is to be believed this one time. To me, that would enable higher energy excitations and hence contribute at least stochastically to possible LENR products. There is even an analogy with gold nanoparticles therein. Essentially a massive particle interacting with a photon creates a sharper rise time 'stress' than a single atom or molecule interaction with the same energy photon.

If that were correct, maybe we should be looking at tungsten carbide, beryllium carbide, boron nitride, titanium nitride and zirconium nitride. [For the last two there are already interesting arguments likely quite distinct from anything Debye temperature implies.]

• Official Post

Just to say there is an article on that work in NextBigFuture, which synthetise also past articles.
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/…mercial-fusion-power.html

also on NyTeknik
    http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter…nkraft/article3933699.ece
    and on Gothenbug University in English
    http://www.gu.se/english/about…-energy-source.cid1323710

EDIT: Next big future refers to a patent now:
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/…nuclear-fusion-using.html

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.