Details matter

• More breaking down...

"In any case, Shanahan's claims are physically impossible." Incorrect.

"You cannot have recombination without a deficit in the gas flow..." in an open
    cell. (You need that phrase to be correct. You are nonsensical in a closed cell.)

So as I said before, the one case where this was measured (and reported) had a
    ~+7% error. If you consider the proposed mechanism that gives the CCS in an open
    cell, specifically the entrainment point, you would realize that the '7' is a lower
    bound, it is probably higher, since increased entrainment during a FPH event would
    'cover' for lost gas flow.

"Heat cannot magically move from a cell and concentrate in a thermocouple centimeters
    away from the cell." We've been over this before. First, your explanation is
    very unscientific in that heat will not concentrate as you postulate. *However*, it
    will move centimeters (maybe meters) down a line filled with heat transfer fluid to
    cause a thermocouple to register a temperature rise. So...

"[Your] assertions are nonsense, so they explain nothing."

"Even if some cold fusion results are in error (which is likely), Shanahan's
    "explanation" for them is worse than an error. It is nonsense."

You do so wish that were true don't you?

------

THHuxley wrote:
    "You will argue that F&P were masters of their field and can be trusted. I disagree"
    Jed wrote:
    "Who the hell are you to judge?"

Trust should not be the issue. That it seems to be is the strongest indication that
    the pseudoscientists involved are not following scientific protocol. THH can easily
    see that. The 'judgement' is obvious. (And BTW, collections of honors don't immunize
    you against this.) (And another BTW, the whole listing out of honors is another
    'call to authority' which is not acceptable for scientific decision making.)

• Wyt wrote: "Please explain, why in XRF Cs disappears at the same rate as Pr increases.. "

The Pr, which it probably is since we have multiple techniques being used to
    designate it, but which may be subject to some problems even so, is migrating
    from wherever it was when the sample was placed in the chamber. It covers the
    Cs, so the Cs signal decreases with increasing Pr coverage. No Cs goes away,
    no Pr 'appears', things just move around.

"and remember: No contact to environment! Chamber sealed!" Of course. The 'Pr'
    is in the starting materials already, probably at levels below the detection
    limit. The experiment concentrates it on the surface. That process is actually
    interesting chemistry, as H assisted diffusion isn't a well-researched area (let
    alone examining the D isotope effect on that).

P.S. Make sure you keep XRF and XPS and XRD and NAA results all straight. They
    have different characteristics that are typically useful and used to
    figure out what is going on. I say that because you mention XRF, but the figures
    on Cs/Pr appearance/disappearance are based on XPS and were published previously.
    See Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 41 (2002) pp. 4642–4650
    (http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/IwamuraYelementalaa.pdf)

The XRF results appear to be a before/after results with no intermediate points,
    either in time or in depth. So your phrase "at the same rate" is misapplied. We have
    no XRF rate information. The XPS results are from depth profiling work.

• In my XRF experience, I have seen major interference issues with Ca that can produce high false Nd and Pr values. I would have to see the XRF data, equipment and calibration details before concluding anything about Nd and Pr measurements from materials that contain significant Ca.

• P.S. Make sure you keep XRF and XPS and XRD and NAA results all straight. They have different characteristics that are typically useful and used to
    figure out what is going on. I say that because you mention XRF, but the figures
    on Cs/Pr appearance/disappearance are based on XPS and were published previously.
    See Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 41 (2002) pp. 4642–4650

kirkshanahan: You are right about /XRF/XPS. The later one is more complicated and not that error prone. The best thing Iwamura could do, to convince everybody, is doing an etching after the experiment and measure the residual Cs.
    Diffusion has always been one argument for the occurrence of strange isotopes on the surface. But these isotopes should also shine up, if no Cs is present. So the second test would be runnning the same experiment without a Cs doped probe.

• Quote from Jed

Who the hell are you to judge? You do not even know the names of the people who did these tests, or their C.V.s. Two of them, Ernie Yeager and Arata, have chemistry institutes named after them, and international prizes in their names. One was the Chairman of the Indian Atomic Energy Commission and another was a member of the French Atomic Energy Commission. Another was the top U.S. expert in tritium detection at the PPPL and Los Alamos. Fleischmann and Bockris literally wrote the book on 20th century Modern Electrochemistry (that's the title).

It is clear from the unquoted bit of my comment that I'm not disputing whether they are masters of their field. It does not matter whether they are this or not. No-one can or should be trusted in science. Only in religions is such importance put on enlightened individuals.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.