L-F Poll: Best LENR science news of 2018

• Paradigmnoia,

It is important the LENR community recognize the achievements of those doing the R/D, whether they be lone researchers self financing their work, or companies tapping into the investment community. This is one way of accomplishing that. The winner will be rewarded for their work with recognition for a job well done. Recognition is a great motivator. That is what the Nobel, and other science awards are all about..to Incentivize science to new heights.

• You have 2 more days to embarrass your fellow LF members who refuse to vote, by voting. Your vote counts! And even a skeptic can cast a vote for what they consider the best LENR news (if true), without compromising their principles.

• Love your polls LENR-forum! So what if they are reflective of your group here, and the few votes enticed from elsewhere... This is still an arcane area of science. If it isn't, "where are the hordes of tourists?"?

I'd say relish this time to yourselves, but I honestly wish we'd get breakthrough ASAP.

Still, to increase participation, perhaps starting a poll in early December would get those who otherwise have holiday plans.

Also, were you to keep the results secret and have an end-of-the-year announcement of a Winner, would be suspenseful, create debate, and people would vote on their own ideas, and not in response to others votes.

• Thank you for the support Ruby. As far as I know, this is the first "best of" LENR poll conducted. We are proud of that, and personally, I feel even though the % of votes was low, it still represents a consensus among our most active, informed members, who believe in LENR. I suspect this will be the start of an annual tradition.

Some things we can improve on, and after the dust settles, we can all talk about it.

it still represents a consensus among our most active, informed members, who believe in LENR.

That sounds strange to me. One doesn't "believe in" a scientific proposition. One concludes that something has been proved beyond doubt or not and presents the evidence. "Believing in" is most often reserved for religious or metaphysical convictions.

• I guess the use of "belief" and "disbelief" is a semantic issue. In religion, anyway, "belief" implies on faith. That means good evidence is not required. It's a bit confusing to use the same wording in science.

It's good for proponents of theories to have faith (belief) but it proves nothing. I would have said something like "members who are convinced by evidence that LENR is real."

• Belief implies many things, including those things held to be true without evidence. However, there are other definitions of belief, including Merriam-Webster's. So yes, semantics is key as always, it just depends on how much you understand its subtleties.

Belief : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence, i.e. belief in the validity of scientific statements.