LK99 -- A new room temperature superconductor?

• Well these charges clusters are moving at 60% c in the Thz range which induce a skin effect lower than atom half diameter. You should take this in account in your future thoughts.

Nope - a lone free electrons attracted by oxygen anions implanted into a diamond. No need to jump into Cargo science in this point.

• What is interesting to say that is from an engineering point of view things to reach are "simple".

In fact, as a conductive wire, we should watch this as a rod.

In this way, even if the current have to cross it longitudinaly most of current waves also moving perpendiculary in this rod.

The same behavior as a gas in a bottle.

In this way, we have to create a rod with alternatively longitudinal atomic layers separated by dielectric atomic layers.

As well as, the current path will remain strictly longitudinal then all current lines will add they respective magnetic field to become isotropic.

These lines will generate a global external magnetic field as a coil, this is the secret..

Unfortunately the engineering task is always difficult because with have to do a kind of big mac with multilayers at atomic scale..( conductive/dielectric/conductive/dielectric.. etc)

• Brian Wang on NextBigFuture site has been giving a lot of attention to this story.

Lots of articles to read through.

Much of the reaction from the science community is still preliminary.

Some more "eminent" parties seem miffed at the poor physics on show!

Condensed Matter Theory Center at University of Maryland.

""Physics" being presented in these unrefereed preprints is a travesty. The original paper has no obvious SC transition and the T<T_c resistivity is 100 times that of Cu. Southeast also has no transition, just instrumental artifacts. What is the goal here? No one can fool nature"

I suppose science done via ArXiv and Twitter has certain downsides!

However a couple of take-aways that I thought were significant.

First the research on this "superconductor" material has been ongoing for 20 years. This has been mentioned in prior reports but is important to remember against a false impression that media stories can generate, when research news suddenly bursts into the public stage, as if it has happened all of a sudden and without due care. The team certainly have not rushed the publication of their research. In fact the news only broke because one contributor pushed out a paper without agreement.

Secondly, some are saying that even if LK99 does not pan out as a superconductor, or even as a problematic and difficult one, that it looks like it is injecting fresh ideas into the field that may well point towards a successful outcome.

See this article;

Explainer thread on LK99.

Now you may not know this, but bones are semiconductors.

No - I did not know that - but it could be a very important clue for something else (unrelated to superconductors, or even LENR) that I've been looking at.**

Many thanks for the link ZenoOfElea :)

(** related to hummingbird flight)

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Bad signs that LK99 replications are struggling and then Cold Fusion gets mentioned in the same article - kiss of death.

Big Think Ask Ethan Is LK99 The Holy Grail Of Superconductors

Of course if the article I referenced in my previous post above (Explainer thread on LK99) is correct then LK99 replication has a number of complications.

First is the fabrication which many are characterising as "simple". But in fact the fabrication of a successful sample may not be simple.

Quoting from the article I referenced previously;

"The approach outlined in the paper is to very evenly mix your sources of lead and copper, then to bake in an oven at high temperature. This last step provides the energy required to generate high-energy, strained states, but only stochastically.

By using the right molar ratios and crystalizing at high temp you can ensure that the right number of copper atoms replace lead in the unit crystal, but there is no way to ensure with this method that the linear chain of conducting atoms is strictly alternating as required.

Still you will get by chance some regions that have crystalized in the desired configuration. And with the right preparation steps maybe you can get these regions to selectively bind together. Or cleave the sample in such a way as to break it along superconducting lines.

Maybe. This isn't really detailed in either paper, and the L&K have had 20 years of trouble themselves reliably replicating their results. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But this is to be expected as the process is probabilistic by nature."

Second its superconducting properties may only manifest "in a linear chain, so it does not have the blowup of electron states that a 3D crystal structure would have."

If so its properties and measurement would be more subtle than more "standard" superconductors.

Now it may be that LK99 is not a room temperature superconductor, or maybe it is and Nobel Prizes will appear.

But a third option is that we have a novel breakthrough that fails because the "replicators" struggle to see what they expect to see.

Can the Cold Fusion history repeat itself?

Certainly some theorists have suggested that LK99 could work as a superconductor.

But it is the experimentalists that will crown it or kill it.

• I have some expertise in metallurgy and i can confirm that doing this kind of aligned alloy isn't an easy task..

By playing at atomic scale people have to well understand what that involves as difficulties..

As some conponents of this alloy are similar as a bone, for a while i considered a better solution to do a complex alloy by growing it. Even if it's a new field to start ( biometallurgy) this way seems to myself more promising.

• I have some expertise in metallurgy and i can confirm that doing this kind of aligned alloy isn't an easy task..

By playing at atomic scale people have to well understand what that involves as difficulties..

As some conponents of this alloy are similar as a bone, for a while i considered a better solution to do a complex alloy by growing it. Even if it's a new field to start ( biometallurgy) this way seems to myself more promising.

One way to see life is that is matter ordered in a particular, often functional, way than what it would be by mere random. Teaching life to grow a metal lattice or a crystal in a certain specific, ordered and useful manner, is certainly a clever approach when precise order is required for a function to be obtained.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Well, my ex wife works at the french Pasteur institute on DNA...

DNA modifications are "forbidden officially " in France, however on Chinese side who knows what is studied ...

One way to see life is that is matter ordered in a particular, often functional, way than what it would be by mere random. Teaching life to grow a metal lattice or a crystal in a certain specific, ordered and useful manner, is certainly a clever approach when precise order is required for a function to be obtained.

• All this talk has kept reminding me paragraphs of a book I read years ago, unfortunately of one of the topics we discourage discussion here, but I will try to convey the idea without the controversial part. This is an allegedly true story of a Sweden Industrial executive that was shown and offered a piece of manufactured metal that had some unusual properties:

"It is a block of inert metal that is many times stronger than your best steel and only half as heavy. It has a superconductive structure that is so straight that current can only flow through it when a positive pole is placed directly opposite a negative pole, in line with the structure of the metal. If one of the electrodes is moved only one-thousandth of an inch, the current ceases to flow.

With this structure it is possible, with correctly placed electrodes, to form a spiral current pattern, the result being that when a direct current is connected to two feed wires, a supermagnet is created with a negligible current consumption. Also, the metal has a melting point much higher than anything known on Earth.”

The industrial executive refused the material sample, in exchange for something else.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.