magicsound MFMP
  • Male
  • from Santa Cruz, California USA (UTC -8)
  • Member since Jul 19th 2015

Posts by magicsound

I've started assembling the supplies for a replication. I have Ni wire, and will order the D2O and Ti sponge from Sigma. I also have LiOH but that would leave H+ ions in the electrolyte, so I'll try dropping in a chunk of Li metal as described, standing well back!

Once the details are sorted, I'll run the experiment with a gamma spectrometer and a Li6-I neutron detector in close proximity to the paper cover. I also have a pancake GM detector but it may be difficult to cluster all three instruments close enough to the cell top. Maybe a wider jar would help, though more electrolyte would be needed and D2O isn't cheap.

The experiment will be streamed in some form on my server, probably 10-second snapshots of the data.

AlanG

But what other than neutrons can do counts? H*?

He3 neutron detectors are extremely sensitive to RF and noise leaking through the power supply. To be sure of your detection, the system should be powered from a battery and the tube shielded in a Faraday cage with small grid apertures, like 2 mm copper screen. Even then, false readings are common due to rogue waves in the asynchronous resonant noise of the tube's plasma.

To confirm detection, I use a neutron bubble detector, from Bubble Technology. It's not cheap but is the industry standard for neutron dosimetry. I also have a Li6-I neutron scintillation detector, only made possible by donation of a NIM rack.

Here's my video demonstrating some of the noise-induced behavior of He3 detectors:

He3_Tube_Discrete_Breathers

Jones Beene spotted a really interesting paper (on vortex-l):

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1807/1807.08572.pdf

Besides being well-written and documented, it seems to describe the holy grail - repeatable fully characterized room temperature superconductivity. In particular, look at figure S7C in the end section. The vertical scale is mis-labeled but the transition temperature measured to be 320 K has got to be a world record!

Replication, anyone? (just kidding unfortunately).

Ah I see! A relatively minor inclusion of some oxide with a low melting temperature can lead to large-scale oxidation of the copper. That means that replicating the LION results is impossible without knowing the details of what materials are included in the reactor and LION is not very precise on this score.

Yes, and the triggering mechanism is the melting and decomposition of the oxide layer on the surface of the copper. Silver Oxide melts at around 300°C, and there was silver coating the copper wire in the LION debris, from the foil applied to the ceramic tube under the wire.

I posted a link to another program awhile back- still not tried it myself, but perhaps worth checking out again.

Rapidminer - Open Source Data Analysis Software

That's a very powerful and extensive platform, seems aimed at "Enterprise" applications. What I have in mind is just a Python library package to add plotting in real-time, like this one. I have the mechanism to upload onto my server pretty much in place, from the Glowstick series

Looks like my posting of the chopped dc power waveform was somewhere else. Here's the waveform at 90% duty cycle as used in my last run. The harmonics extend out past 300 kHz.

Some more questions .... I am trying to understand what is known about the status of the LION reactor.
    1) Has the MFMP group in California performed any more LION experiments following the one that ended in mid April?
    2) Has LION himself reported anomalous heat in any more of his own reactors (other than the two that he later sent to Bob Greenyer?

I can only answer the first question: in response to suggestions from E48, I rebuilt my power system to include the PWM DC chopper LION apparently uses. I published a plot of the resulting waveform and harmonics earlier in this thread. Then I ran an entire 24+ hour heat cycle and got results identical to the previous runs with the same fuel tube i.e. no excess heat or radiation above background.

I still intend to do at least one more run with my remaining 75 or so diamond discs. Those are still soaking in D2O, and will have one or more 'seed' discs from LION added, if those ever arrive in the post. I hope to do this before leaving for ICCF, and will post details here.

One more comment - Ploty discontinued their on-line live streaming feature some time last year, and finally removed the hooks in the interface so that it no longer functions at all. I'm looking into alternatives that I can host on my own server. I would appreciate input from anyone experienced in real-time data plotting from a .csv file that is being updated by Labjack's data logging.

Thanks again. Looking forward to reading and seeing the result

There was a bit of color change, but no hint of green there. These are in sequence: first the raw material before baking, then fresh out of the furnace after 6 hours at 800°C. Finally, the same material after cooling for 10 minutes in air. All photos are from an iphone6 with flash on. The color accuracy is pretty good.

OK,I can easily do the test you suggest. If time permits, I will also seal some of the calcined material in Argon as soon as it cools from the furnace. That might provide some additional insight into the stability of the proposed KFeO2 product in the absence of atmospheric CO2.

Looking at my schedule, I think Monday is possible.

AlanG

I provided some catalyst pellets to Alan Smith last year, which may be what he used in the test for you. I still have an ample quantity available for further testing if you have something in mind. I also had the Chinese-sourced pellets analyzed using PIXE (Particle induced x-ray emission) and RBS by a volunteer. Here are the comments from this very experienced analyst:

"I used PIXE to get accurate metal ratios. My PIXE set-up does not detect anything lighter than Si, so no Mg or O can be detected with PIXE.

RBS is used to get depth distributions and measure the light stuff, predominantly O.

I am not detecting any chemical information, so I cannot determine exactly the composition of the oxides. While I see many metal peaks, I am only detecting one O peak which is a sum of all the oxides, so I presumed that the metal oxides are present in their dominant form. This is easy for K, Ca and Ce which usually only form one oxide type. This is why I can't determine the order of the Fe oxide - could be any of them in any combination.

The metal ratios determined from PIXE were added into an RBS simulation, and the total [O] was calculated from that.

The beam from both techniques, 2.3MeV He+ for RBS and 1 MeV H+ for PIXE, penetrate several microns into these type of oxides"

Here are the combined PIXE/RBS results for the catalyst pellets :

K2O 63.2 %

FeOx 32.8 %

CaO 2.8 %

CeO2 1.2 %

Mg trace

Yesterday it worked
    Today it is not working
    LENR is like that.

You step in the stream,
    but the water has moved on.
    The Truth is not here.

And this one is relevant, unfortunately:

Last week Plotly worked
    Now Plotly is not working.
    Do they hear our cries?

It's cheap because it doesn't include the scintillator head (crystal + photomultiplier), although the pictures show it with a detector assembly. I think that might violate eBay rules, because they are showing something that is not included in the sale.

The same seller also separately lists the system with the scintillator included, for US$795. That's a pretty good price if it works well, but the channel count (energy resolution) of the MCA is not mentioned in either listing, and should be determined before buying this one.

I eventually noticed that the periods of "low" pstate defined this way are on average about 4-5% longer than the "high" pstate. So this wouldn't have worked properly eithe

Thanks, that is a good clue. I will review the PID program which was entered manually with the front panel buttons and the obscure 4-char alpha display. There is apparently a one-minute segment in the lower temperature section that got in somehow. There might also be some discrepancy between the PID's internal clock and the PC's system clock used to time-stamp the data, though that would be a constant drift of small magnitude.

AlanG

Bruce__H

I previously tried something like that with temperatures, but I didn't obtain reliable results as it appeared that the cycles don't have a consistent duration and this prevents automating things straightforwardly without "massaging" the data too much.

Beautiful and clear analysis CAN - Thank You!

I'm surprised the temperature cycles are not consistent. The PID is simply looping a program cycle:

Starting at 600°C

Ramp to 900°C 1 minute

Hold at 900°C 15 minutes

Ramp to 600°C 1 minute (cooling takes longer than that, but this is about the time sequence)

Hold at 600°C 15 minutes

and repeat for 1000 cycles, or ~51.6 hours.

So each cycle should be 32 minutes in duration, and the power bands on your chart shows 32.7 near as I can tell, pretty close.

Temperature will lag the power steps of course, due to the thermal inertia of the system. That is dependent to some degree on ambient temp and airflow, and may be causing some timing jitter in the temp data. But there should still be a temperature cycle corresponding to each power cycle, of roughly equal length.

Is it not the case that the two experiments that were run or now running are completely difference in terms of fuel? Any comparisons between these experiments are not warranted.

Yes, correct. I only mentioned the radiation measurements for LION-AG because the discussion reminded me that I had not previously posted that information.