Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015

Posts by Alan Smith

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the same article Shechtman says that Pauling eventually couldn't get his papers published because they were so obviously against the evidence. Shechtman himself was able to publish his discovery in a top flight journal within 2 years and widespread acceptance followed soon after. People here are ignoring this because it doesn't fit the narrative that the very greatest discoveries (like poor poor LENR!) are ignored and buried by the mainstream since they are earth shattering and science doesn't like shattered earth

That is as much or more) your narrative as it is that of any other poster above. You are espousing an an argument you would love to start. My own view is that academics are too often back-stabbing precious buggers who would benefit from a little ,more fibre in their diet.

Puthoff has a list accomplishment as long as my arm, and you focus on this? The CIA funded his research into the paranormal. If they paid me enough money, I would do it also. So what that he fell for Geller's tricks? You do not write off a man's lifelong contributions to science, just because he was wrong a few times.

Indeed, Hal Puthoff wrote what was for a long time considered to be 'the book' on Quantum Chromodynamics and has worked on more black projects in the physics world than most people have had roast turkey dinners. He also founded Earthtech in Austin Tx, a company which has been investigating and reporting on frontier science for decades.

I think the thermocouples are a good idea also, but we know they are never fully accepted for energy balance purposes (same for IR methodology) so they are valuable tools for quick assessment but calorimetry is a must have at the end of the day.

It depends on the relative signal strength. Using the same reactor and the exact same (mechanically fixed) thermocouple positions and calibrating the system using ohmic heating before and after key events is fine. It is not a great choice for energy balance, but with hoped-for COP's in excess of 3:1 it should provide sufficient proof to facilitate moving things along to the next stage where more elaborate (time-consuming and expensive) methods can be used.

Here's a little bit of entertainment. My colleague and I building a 60x7.5 cm reactor almost from scratch. The turned face of the flange was diamond-lapped by hand to finish the job.

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As I understand it water calorimetry was ruled out due to the high temperature or the reactor. Would it be possible to put a small amount of insulation (kiln paper?) between the mesh and reactor wall to keep the mesh temperature high while reducing the wall temperature to allow water based cooling/calorimetry? The whole reactor could be put in a water bath to capture all the heat output.

I think JedRothwell mentioned that the problem was that water cooled the reactor wall (presumable locally) too much and 'put out the fire'. That seems possible and would rule out immersion calorimetry which looks temptingly easy.. The usual method of doing higher-temperature fluid calorimetry is to use silicone oil, but underlying the other problems is the fact that switching reactors with 'hard-wired' plumbing is much more time-consuming and complex than just putting them into a fan-cooled box and taking them out. Also calibration becomes very 'positionally sensitive' where moving the cooling tube a few mm across the reactor wall can change results hugely. And AFAIK Mizuno is a 'lone wolf' researcher who needs to save time where he can.

I am not a fan (pun intended) of air calorimetry but I can see the utility of it for Mizuno. My own preference in such a case would be to use multi-point relative thermometry, with as many thermocouples as possible fixed permanently to the surface of the reactor/

I suppose this thread will crank along now along in a predictably lachrymose fashion. In fact here is a prediction ... I predict that we will soon we see posts here whose logic is that because LENR faces a lack of acceptance from mainstream science it must therefore be true! But that reasoning is fallacious.

If you wish to make a mountain out of a molehill, then do so. However, please don't make it everybody else's fault.

A 10 minute Video published in 2011 but very relevant to the problem of opposition to scientific progress that is discussed in here from time to time. Daniel Shechtman overcame huge scepticism about the existence of quasicrystals to win the 2011 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Islamic artisans constructed similar Exotic Nonrepeating Patterns 500 Years before modern mathematicians re-created them. From 6 minutes on he talks about the opposition to his discovery, and about its affects on his life and career. Thanks to member 'Director' for the tip-off.

External Content www.youtube.com

Members will I am sure noticed that Dr. Edmund Storms has posted some observations on Mizuno's experiment in our forum based on his huge experience in the cold fusion field. It occurs to me that Ed's book on the 'nuts and bolts' of LENR might be of interest. Now only available as a $22 Kindle book, (or an $800 paperback!) it covers a lot of ground on the topic.

One reviewer who bought the Amazon Kindle version said:- 'Not a light read, but a thorough examination of the experimental evidence for a new form of energy. It is not hot fusion at a lower temperature, but a different reaction altogether.
    Storms then goes on to look at existing explanations and goes on to expand his own possible explanation. If you seriously want to know more about this subject, settle down to read this, with pencil and paper to make notes.'

In the book’s Foreword, Dr. Michael McKubre, (Formerly) Director, Energy Research Lab at SRI International, writes: “The opportunity to learn directly from the most knowledgeable person in arguably the most important emerging field, and to share his concise and well considered condensation of a difficult and scattered literature, are not the only or primary reasons to comprehend The Explanation of Low Energy Nuclear Reaction. Laid out clearly and gently in Chapter 5, ‘Description of an Explanation,’ is the first physical science based description of a potential explanation for cold fusion.”

https://www.amazon.com/Explana…+energy+nuclear+reaction#