Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

We are changing over (soon) to an NI- FP2000 data collection system, a large part of which has been donated today by an interested individual who keeps an eye on the forum. I hope this will help, it will certainly give us easier access to live data displays.

I don't agree the money is drying up - that only holds true of you look at the traditional sources of finance (who were never that keen anyway). There is a new group of wealthy millenials who are very interested in 'new paradigm' research who are actually quite keen to invest - in the right kind of research. The hard part is figuring out what that is.

Hi. AFAIK The Netto geiger timebase (1 sec) actually provides the time signal for the whole system. Data is collected every 10 secs and for the Netto is it's own rolling average over 1 minute periods - it shows you CPM at any given time. I am just investigating major system upgrades, so this may change. I will pass your comments on. Thank you.

Alan.

Re the 'androcles' files above. I humbly suggest that a neodymium magnet be used as the anode of the electrolysis process.

This is strange advice. Neo magnet material is not conductive, though the Nickel coating on the outside is. And if you want to deuterate something, you use it as a cathode, not an anode. Or did I miss something?

I think showing that the overall background signal increases by 100% when the apparatus is operating would be more impressive than showing that an already elevated signal sometimes has peaks 25-30% higher than its average.

All a question of opinion, the 50+ counts only idea came directly from the very experienced Russ George who is running the experiment while I and my colleague continue putting the new lab together, and fuss over the somplex plumbing and data collection systems of the new 20 liter Al recycling reactor we are installing.. Not trying to impress anybody really. Just keeping you guys up to date.

The experiments are all described sufficiently well for people to distinguish between them. We have done a pure LION-a-like run and reported on it (very little to tell in fact). The current experiment is called 'Androcles'. You may have heard of him, but it is pursuing a similar path, diapads and deuterium. Here's a picture of the current set-up. Ideas from Russ George and construction mainly by me. It shows the two 'large volume reactors, with the larger 'S' type thermocouples installed.

attached firmly to the S type inside the reactor are a fuel tube and also Russ's 'ohmic heater' - a little coil of kanthal wire attached to a regulated and accurately metered PSU - visible back RHS, each of the reactor main heating coils is run from a dedicated 36V psu. Here we are logging two tests- a single tube control, and a single tube 'androcles' test. Radiation, current, temperatures etc are all logged.

l

can.

Gosh, I'll have to take this up with Mr. Data on Monday. I will get the proper info - but I am also talking about what we all observed while the experiment was running- Rising rad with falling temperatures. Thanks for your input btw -off topic? Not a bit.;)

With this trivial modification, the remaining visible peaks appear to be more or less randomly distributed and do not seem to occur more frequently when temperatures are falling.

Well, not what our data analyst showed us somehow. Data presentation really isn't my thing, for which I apologise. I build systems, design experiments, prepare materials- in short tather old-fashioned kind of science. During the week I will (now we have b/band at the lab - post something a whole lot clearer.

I can't really see any clear correlation

Sorry about that- It does look a bit mangled, I am not really a data prep expert, but my colleague Martin is. He showed me a very clear correlation between falling temperatures (particularly in the 350-300C zone) and raised rad count. I think he may have time over the weekend to polish the files a little. This experiment only finished a few hours ago.

Re the 'androcles' files above, it should be noted that these were not produced by the current version of LION fuel, but by baked diapads electrolytically loaded with deuterium in heavy water, and using lithium deuteroxide as an electrolyte. The silver wire anode was also attacked by the evolved oxygen and we suspect that the end result was the formation of silver deuteroxide which was also in the mix. I forgot to mention that the geiger tube was shielded with pure silver leaf, which is usually around 0.5 microns thick. Actually, this did not appear to make much difference to the count.

Alan Smith

What detection method are you using in particular (detector type, distance from the apparatus, if other materials have been placed as a shield, etc) ?

I'm wondering if by making the cycling temperature range wider (e.g. 300–700 °C) the peak will increase accordingly.

Hi can.

We are using Netto Geigers with an SBM2020 tube. These are pretty much gamma or high-energy x-ray detectors. We use 3 identical devices, partly cross calibrated, but we use a control for temperature. In the data below you can see the phenomenon I mentioned. The upper graph shows the temperature cycle with raw rad counts below, the lower one shows the effect of removing all radiation data below 50cpm. This is approximately double the background count. As I hope you can see the periods where the count is 50+ coincide closely with those places where the temperature is falling, which means that any free deuterium is reloading into the lattice. We used a control to assess the affects of temperature btw, and have that data in hand. I can assure those interested however that this is a real phenomenon, though I hesitate at the moment to make too much of it.

androcles 1.pdf

androcles 1 temps.pdf

Our own experiments with the LION 'look-alike' have followed a very similar path so far. We are also running another variant using electrolytically deuterated diapads. The only thing of interest in the latter test is a modest radiation peak (2-3x background) which seems to be coincident with cooling - we are cycling this between 300-600 - the peak looks to be coincident with the 310-340C region, but mostly on the way down rather than on the way up. Since we are not yet equipped for 'livestream' data display the proof of this will have to wait until the run stops and we pull the SD card from the logger.

I'm not sure what waveform Magicsound is using. The standard model T is supplied with a 36V 11A DC (or 36/15) PSU, which has an infinitesimal high-frequency ripple when viewed on a scope. The output from this PSU may be mediated using a PWM we supply as standard which produced a somewhat larger 15kHz ripple. I will hook a scope and see what the waveform actually looks like.

I am using this configuration, I am not sure if LION actually uses the PWM, it isn't obligatory.

can

It's very simple. You just keep asking the same question(s) in slightly different ways until you get the answer you wanted to hear all along. After all these years of doing this on various fora one might have hoped Ascoli65 would have developed a different approach, but he shows no signs of it yet.