THHuxleynew Verified User
  • Member since Jan 18th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by THHuxleynew

Just to point out. I agree - Aspen here are being very political - and stupid.

But they are a private company offering services. One of very many. I guess they are allowed to do what they want, and test whoever they want.

In the UK there are laws against discrimination on grounds of race, sexual orientation, etc. So as a private company if you offer a service you must offer it to everyone (with a few common sense exceptions).

Classic case - a baker offering custom wedding cakes refused to do one for a gay marriage.

Not sure the US has something similar? Nor am I sure whether being bloody stupid about COVID is covered as a ground you are not allowed to discriminate on?

To summarise - and given the very large number of ivermectin propaganda posts here I think I am allowed more than one post to put a more balanced view:

1. The evidence is not there for ivermectin - a miracle cure. If it were, the high quality studies would not look neutral, so that is impossible.

2. There remains the possibility of ivermectin - helps a bit. That Golden Hamster evidence is intriguing, you need really big high quality trials to rule such a thing out and we have not yet had those. it would be great if say ivermectin reduced deaths by 30%.

3. There is a fair chance that ivermectin provides symptomatic relief from COVID. That is worth having - maybe - given it has side effects at the level taken to provide such relief (if it exists - which is not yet at all clear).

4. ivermectin is currently being used in at least two big well funded trials (no - big pharma have not suppressed it). In the UK PRINCIPLE trial since 23 June. Drugs that pan out there - even 20% mortality reduction, get added immediately to UK SOC.

5. Ivermectin - helps a bit - would be a great result and along with many other similar drugs is the likeky way we will beat COVID. Maybe we will find a drug that helps a lot. I hope so. I think it very unlikley to be ivermetcin given the studies so far.

From which I deduce:

• no bias against ivermectin in govt funded trials. (Sure - pharma companies will prefer to fund trials of their own expensive drugs - they are not charities. Nor - if you are a shareholder - would you want anything else).
    • no reason to be very hopeful, but worth keeping an eye on it, it could help. or, it could do harm. We will know within a few months, given UK's very high COVID rate.
    • it cannot be a miracle drug

We say this since 1.5 years as such studies have been done 1.5 years ago already. This is important because vaccine efficiency never was 95% it was 95% among the 20% with no immunity. So in fact it was only 75% from the beginning! (You have to multiply the infected by 5 to get the real 100% number!)

No - that can't be correct.

the 80% seroprevalence comes from both vaccination and infection. We know some 60% (would need to look up exact figure) of US people have been vaccinated. It is not conceivable that those who have previously been infected are more likely to be vaccinated than those who have not. So the current infection rate is less than 80%. If vaccination is independent of prior infection, an infection fraction of x leads to a seroprevalence of 0.6 + 0.4x. Thus:

0.8 = 0.6 + 0.4x => x = 0.2 / 0.4 = 50% (=> 50% vaccinated no prior infection cf Wyttenfact 20%)

so from this very rough calculation we have 50% of those vaccinated were previously infected.

This is an large overestimate of the number, because most people were vaccinated a long time ago, and those vaccinated are less likely to be reinfected. So the true overlap between vaccination and prior infection will be smaller than this.

There is a complication which W may not want to raise, which is that natural infection seroprevalence fades after a relatively short time, further complicating the calculation. Since that means parts of natural immunity are short-term, perhaps we should ignore it? (In other words, being seronegative does not necessarily mean you have no immunity - it means the antibodies looked for are at a low level).

Only in a Wyttenfact world can this complex calculation resolve to vaccine efficiency was 75% at start...

THH

Various people have tried to excuse the errors in the Elgazzar study. It is therefore important to look in detail at the data errors.

Some problems in the dataset of a large study of Ivermectin for the treatment of Covid-19
    This post appears at the same time as this piece at grftr.news  by Jack Lawrence . Jack contacted me to ask if I could help him look at a nu...
    steamtraen.blogspot.com

The data was uploaded to a public server - but only for those people clever enough to guess a password that was not given!

The authors have, well, "sort of" made their data available. To quote from the preprint (p. 6): "The study data master sheet are [sic] available on reasonable request from the corresponding auther [sic] from the following link. https://filetransfer.io/data-package/qGiU0mw6#link". It is tempting to imagine that one might be able to download the data file directly from that link; however, when you attempt to do that, the site says that you have to create a premium account ($9 per month), and after you have done that and downloaded the file, it turns out to be password-protected. This suggests that the authors did not want anyone to be able to read it without their approval, which is not quite in the spirit of open science. (It is, however, not incompatible with Research Square's rather feeble data sharing policy.)

Fortunately, Jack Lawrence did a lot of work here. Not only did he pay for a premium account at filetransfer.io, but he also guessed the password of the file, which turned out to be 1234. I have never met Jack Lawrence in person, though, so as part of my due diligence for this blog post, I also paid $9 plus VAT for a one-month subscription to filetransfer.io, and downloaded the file for myself. To save you, dear reader, from having to go through that process, I have made an unlocked copy of the file available here. It is perhaps interesting to note that, judging by the filename, the authors were apparently still editing the "study data master sheet" on 12 December 2020, when they had already posted essentially all of their results in two earlier versions of their preprint by November 16.

Here are some of the more worrying issues. I don't agree anything can be concluded for sure from the strong Benford Law violations, because quantised data followed by conversion and re-quantisation can give strange results. Some of the other weirdnesses are a bit long. Here are the ones that seem egregious to me - any one of these would make the study suspect.

What amazes me is that Bryant et al continue to view it as good data...

Numbers containing non-numeric characters

Several cells that represent numbers in the Excel file appear to have been entered by someone more used to a manual typewriter than a computer. Specifically, cells K17, L318, L354, L366, L380, M38, M101, M396:M402, S272, S278, S280, S396, and S398 contain one or more occurrences of the lowercase letter "o" instead of the digit "0". As a result, these cells are text strings, rather than numbers, and any numerical calculations based on them will fail.

Because these cells contain strings, their values are left-aligned (the default for strings in Excel), whereas the numbers in the same column are right-aligned. In many cases it seems that the creator of the data file has attempted to remedy this visual infelicity by left-padding the non-numeric string with spaces. For example, although the value "1.o" [sic] in cell L318 has no padding, the same value in cells L354, L366, and L380 has been padded on the left with 33, 34, and 32 space characters, respectively.

Relatedly, the percentages in cells M89, M94, M128, S232, S243, S245, S250, S261, S262, S274, and S279 contain a comma as a decimal separator, instead of a dot, and so again are treated as text strings rather than numbers. These cells with commas are padded on the left with between 12 and 16 leading space characters in column S, although there is no padding in column M.

Repeated sequences

At several points in the Excel file, there are instances where the values of an ostensibly random variable are identical in two or more sequences of 10 or more participants, suggesting that ranges of cells or even entire rows of data have been copied and pasted.

Approximately 19 cloned patients in group II

In cells B150:B168 and B184:B202, the patient's initials are either identical at each corresponding point (e.g., cells B150/B184) or, in almost all the remaining cases, differ in only one letter.

Cells C150:C168 are identical to cells C184:C202.

Cells D150:D168 are identical—with one exception out of 19 cells—to cells D184:D202.

Cells I150:I167 are identical to cells I184:I201.

Cells S150:S165 are identical—with one exception out of 14 cells—to cells S184:S199.

Cells U150:U168 are identical to cells U184:U202.

Cells V150:V168 are identical to cells V184:V202. Cells W150:W168 are identical—with three exceptions out of 19 cells—to cells W150:W168.

Cells AA150:AA168 are identical to cells AA184:AA202.

Approximately 60 cloned patients in group IV

In cells B303:B320, B321:B338, and B339:B356, the patient's initials are either identical at each corresponding point (e.g., cells B303/B321/B339) or, in almost all the remaining cases, differ in only one letter.
    Cells I303:I320 are identical to cells I321:I338 and I339:I356, including the typo "coguh" for "cough". Cells I358:I371 are identical to cells I372:I385, including the typo "coguh" for "cough". Cells I340:I349 are identical—with one exception out of 10 cells—to cells I386:I395.
    Cells J303:J320 are identical to cells J321:J338 and J339:J356. Cells J358:J371 are identical to cells J372:J385. Cells J340:J349 are identical to cells J386:J395.
    Cells K303:K320 are identical to cells K321:K338 and K339:K356. Cells K358:K371 are identical to cells K372:K385. Cells K340:K349 are identical to cells K386:K395.

Cells L303:L320 are identical—with two exceptions out of 18 cells—to cells L321:L338 and L339:L356. Cells L358:L371 are identical—with one exception out of 14 cells—to cells L372:L385. Cells L340:L349 are identical—with two exceptions out of 10 cells—to cells L386:L395.
    Cells M303:M320 are identical to cells M321:M338 and M339:M356. Cells M358:M371 are identical to cells M372:M385. Cells M340:M349 are identical to cells M386:M395.
    Cells S303:S320 are identical to cells S321:S338 and S339:S356. Cells S358:S371 are identical to cells S372:S385. Cells S340:S349 are identical to cells S386:S395.
    Cells U303:U320 are identical to cells U321:U338 and U339:U356. Cells U358:U371 are identical to cells U372:U385. Cells U340:U349 are identical to cells U386:U395.

Cells W303:W320 are identical to cells W321:W338 and W339:W356. Cells W358:W371 are identical to cells W372:W385. Cells W340:W349 are identical to cells W386:W395.
    Cells Y303:Y320 are identical (apart from spacing differences) to cells Y321:Y338 and —with one exception out of 18 cells—Y339:Y356.Cells Y358:Y371 are identical—with three exceptions out of 14 cells—to cells Y372:Y385. Cells Y340:Y349 are identical to cells Y386:Y395.

Cells Z303:Z320 are identical to cells Z321:Y338 and Z339:Y356. Cells Z358:Z371 are identical—with three exceptions out of 14 cells—to cells Z372:Z385. Cells Z340:Z349 are identical to cells Z386:Z395.

Apparent failures of randomisation

The patients in groups I and II (mild/moderate disease, treatment and control) ought to have been similar to each other; likewise the patients in groups III and IV (severe disease, treatment and control). Indeed, the authors state (p. 3) that "A block randomization method was used to randomize the study participants into two groups that result in equal sample size. This method was used to ensure a balance in sample size across groups over the time and keep the number of participants in each group similar at all times". (Aside: I would be grateful if someone could explain to me what the second sentence there implies for the execution of the study.)

However, the randomisation does not appear to have been a complete success. For example:

• In group I, the number of patients with anosmia as an additional symptom was 25. In group II, this number was 4.
    • In group I, the number of patients with loss of taste as an additional symptom was 25. In group II, this number was 0.
    • In group III, the number of patients with vomiting as an additional symptom was 1. In group IV, this number was 12.
    • In group III, the number of patients with bronchial asthma as a comorbidity was 14. In group IV, this number was 0.
    • In group III, the number of patients with cholecystitis, chronic kidney disease, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and open heart surgery as comorbidities was 0 in all five cases. In group IV, these numbers were 6, 5, 5, 6, and 6, respectively.

Other issues

The age distribution

The distribution of patient ages is very strange. There are 34 patients aged 48 and 31 aged 58, but only 3 aged 50 and 4 aged 53. Furthermore, of the 600 patients, 410 have an age that is an even number of years while only 190 have an age that is an odd number of years.

It is difficult to see how any of this could have arisen by chance. (The R function pbinom() reports that the binomial probability of 399 out of 600 ages being even is 1.11E-16; it cannot represent the chance of 400 or more even ages out of 600.)

AgeHist.png

Study entry and exit dates

The preprint states (p. 3) that "The study was carried out from 8th June to 15th September 2020". This seems to conflict with the study's registration on ClinicalTrials.gov, which states that the "Actual Study Completion Date"—defined as "The date [of] the last participant's last visit"—was 30 October 2020. We cannot, perhaps, infer much from the fact that the last recorded entry (positive PCR) and exit (negative PCR) dates in the Excel file are 18 August 2020 and 21 August 2020, respectively, as we do not have date information for the outpatients (groups V and VI). However, we can see that there are 120 patients (71 in group II, 3 in group III, and 47 in group IV) with an entry date prior to 8 June 2020, with the earliest being 12 May 2020. Similarly, there are 49 patients (31 in group II, 1 in group III, and 17 in group IV) with an exit date prior to 8 June 2020, with the earliest being 23 May 2020.

SPSS

Another strange feature of this story is that, although the authors claim to have performed their analyses using SPSS (p. 4 of the preprint), they did not share the SPSS data file (in .SAV or .CSV format), although this would have been a much better way to allow readers to reproduce their analyses. Instead they shared what they called the "study data master sheet". As I have shown here, these data (a) contain numerous signs of manipulation and (b) once cleaned up and analysed with the same statistical tests that authors used, mostly—but, perhaps significantly, not entirely—fail to produce the results reported by the authors in their Results section text and tables.

There is another curious sentence in the preprint that makes me wonder whether the authors actually used SPSS at all, or indeed have ever done so. On p. 5 they wrote "After the calculation of each of the test statistics, the corresponding distribution tables were counseled to get the 'P' (probability value)". Assuming that "counseled" here is a typo for "consulted", it appears that the authors' claim is that they read the test statistics from the SPSS output and then looked up the corresponding p values in a table, such as the one on this page. I wonder why anyone would do this, given that the SPSS output for all of the tests that the authors reported having run contains the p value right next to the test statistic. Looking up test statistics in a table to get the p value has been out of fashion since we stopped computing t statistics using pencil and paper, circa 1995 ("Ah, now I know why my desk calculator has a square root key").

You are outraging silly person. Plagiarism has nothing to do with the study data! This is a fake argument to discredit a study. There are > 100'000 corona papers now and the introduction of most is identical. So we have 100'000 plagiarism....

The other issue I explained already twice . Treat your Alzheimer first.

So: my job here is to highlight the more outrageous Wyttenfacts - if I did every one I would get very bored.

Plagiarism shows that the author is unprofessional and likely not able to write a research paper themselves - which makes it more likely that they don't know how to conduct a trial well. It is a red flag, but does not prove anything.

It is not true that many people cut and paste text in a research paper without reference, because they know full well that plagiarism is bad for their career.

But really, plagiarism is the least of this study's problems (as are cut-and-paste raw data). There are many problems with the data as below which show it cannot be real. The author won't reply to them, but perhaps you could try and work out innocent explanations for the three I have highlighted below?

Why Was a Major Study on Ivermectin for COVID-19 Just Retracted? - Grftr News
    Questions about major lapses of scientific integrity led to the withdrawal of a study that formed a critical component of the pro-ivermectin case.
    grftr.news

After its initial publication, the Elgazzar preprint went through two further revisions. The purported authors published their third draft on the 28th of December 2020. It featured minor corrections and further statistical information but notably also included a link to what the authors stated was a copy of the original data, which Grftr News later obtained. (The paper’s withdrawal comes in the form of a ‘fourth’ revision).

When opening what the authors claim is their original data the first thing that any reader notices is that it’s remarkably complete. In many columns data for all patients are fully listed. The second thing the reader will likely notice is that the original data do not match the author’s public results. In three of the four study arms measuring patient death as an outcome, the numbers between the paper and original data differ.

In their paper, the authors claim that four out of 100 patients died in their standard treatment group for mild and moderate COVID-19. According to the original data they uploaded, the number was 0 (the same as the ivermectin treatment group). In their ivermectin treatment group for severe COVID-19, the authors claim two patients died – the number in the uploaded raw data is four. Grftr News put these findings to the authors however has not received any reply.

The original data provided by the authors suggest that efforts to randomise patients between different groups either failed or was not attempted – despite claims to the contrary by the authors. Every patient in the severe COVID-19 group receiving standard care was an ICU patient, while the patients with severe disease in the ivermectin group were mixed between wards and ICU. The experts Grftr News spoke to confirmed this is extremely unlikely to happen by chance.

Following these initial detections, Grftr News provided a copy of the data to science fraud expert Nick Brown and asked him to analyse it. Mere hours later, Brown had already conducted an extensive preliminary analysis and agreed to take a more in-depth look. Brown’s complete findings run for several pages and have been posted to his blog.

Wherever he looked, Brown found problems, from numbers containing non-numeric characters, confusion about date formats, and—most damningly of all—multiple incidences of data being copied between patients. In column after column data is duplicated exactly – “including the typo ‘coguh’ for ‘cough’ for multiple patients”. As Brown concludes in his blog post, “the chances of any one of these duplications occurring by chance, let alone all of them, are astronomical.”

It is also unlikely that these repetitions of data are due to an innocent copy and paste error when rearranging records in the file, as some columns contain identical patterns of data with minor adjustments to one or two numbers (possibly to make the fabrication less obvious).

Brown also discovered that many other numbers between the original data and the paper do not match. In some cases, numbers were off by only a couple per cent, while in others, the numbers were off by over 10%.

Grftr News also reached out to Kyle Sheldrick, a Sydney-based doctor and researcher who had been independently looking at the paper. Sheldrick explained that even when just looking at the results in the paper, problems emerged. For example, numbers that the authors provide for several standard deviations mentioned in tables in the paper are mathematically impossible given the range of numbers provided in the same table (standard deviations are a measure of variation in a group of data points)

Many of the patients who died appear to be duplicates. For example, according to the original data, there were ‘four’ patients with the initials NME, NEM, and NES (twice), who were all males aged 51 years old, all suffered from diarrhoea, had the same blood haemoglobin levels, were all diagnosed on the 22nd of May, and all died on the 29th of May 2020. They also all share identical values in at least four other data columns.

At least a further ten deceased patients also display evidence of being duplicated. As such, duplicates make up around half of the recorded deaths. Although much of the patient data is identical, minor changes exist, further proving that a simple copy and paste error cannot be the cause of the duplicates.

Sheldrick also argued that the completeness of data is further evidence of fabrication, noting that this is incredibly unlikely to happen in real-world conditions. In a Skype call with Grftr News, Sheldrick pointed out further statistical impossibilities, for example, noting that in the data column showing results for patient blood ferritin levels, “you’ve got at least 250 results there, and of those 250, only two or three of them end in three. And that’s just not possible. The probability of that is 2 in 10 billion.” (Nick Brown’s blog post explores this issue in more detail and finds that the trailing digits of many of the numerical values in the paper are even more implausible than that.)

If the dataset the authors provided is the one used for the paper then “this is obviously fraud”, Sheldrick explained, “there is no explanation for this other than fraud.” When pushed about whether alternative explanations are possible, Sheldrick replied, “I usually bend over backwards and stretch my incredulity; it’s the equivalent of ‘maybe the knife slipped multiple times’… but there is no [good] explanation for this. There’s no machine in the world that will have that sort of terminal digit bias.”

Brown, too, is convinced that the evidence points in the direction of fabrication. “It seems impossible to me that this data file, with its obvious cloning of substantial numbers of patient records and numerous other inconsistencies, contains a true record of the study of 600 patients that Elgazzar et al. claim to have conducted.”

After Grftr News made him aware of our findings Meyerowitz-Katz also wrote a further Medium article covering this situation and its consequences.

Grftr News put these findings to the authors of the paper but has received no response.

People who had two vaccine shots had a six-fold higher chance of getting infected with Delta than patients who hadn’t been vaccinated but previously contracted the coronavirus, according to the research.

The study, published online but not yet peer reviewed, is the largest of its kind. It doesn’t take booster shots — now widely given in Israel — into account, but given that most of the world is still giving a two-dose regimen, has international relevance.

But experts are stressing that the results shouldn’t be interpreted as discouragement from vaccinating. Immunologist Prof. Cyrille Cohen of Bar Ilan University, who was not involved in the study, told The Times of Israel: “Certain people who are not inclined to get vaccinated might be mistaken and think that this means you’d better get sick a priori and not get a vaccine. Such a thinking is medically wrong, and the results of the study do not mean that people should expose themselves on purpose and get sick.

Agreed - it is good news for future community immunity that catching COVID gives most people great immunity. That + vaccination can get us to a good state reasonably soon, let us hope, since the anti-vaxers and those with weak immune systems will all catch COVID.

Stephanie Seneff and Greg Nigh from the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratoryof MIT intended to review several highly concerning aspects of infectious disease-related mRNA technology and correlate these with both documented and potential pathological effects.

Not agreed at all. (1) these people are not qualified to look properly at the evidence, they can do the same sort of amateur job as I or others here - with added bias. (2) Stephanie Seneff has form in this area, with screwball conspiracy theories that everything uner the sun is being caused by glyphosphate poisoning

Are the anti-GMO and anti-vaccine movements merging? - Alliance for Science
    The anti-vaccine and anti-GMO movements — driven by similar conspiracist fears about big corporations, ideological preference for "natural" alternatives and…
    allianceforscience.cornell.edu

Seneff is notorious for promoting a bogus graph purporting to link glyphosate applied to corn and soy (and thus the real bogeyman, GMOs) with a rise in autism diagnoses. This graph has become a classic of correlation-causation confusion, and has been satirized by similar graphs showing an equally good correlation between the rise in organic food sales and Jim Carey movies and autism.

Further down the list is Sayer Ji, a long-time commercial promoter of natural health woo via his website GreenMedInfo. This carries enormous amounts of content opposing every vaccine around, from diptheria to flu shots. Ji appears alongside modern agriculture opponent Vandana Shiva, the president of the EU-funded International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, and other luminaries in the Global GMO Free Coalition steering group.

Sayer Ji recently promoted a conspiracy theory taken up by prominent Catholic priests in Kenya that “a WHO/UNICEF sponsored tetanus vaccination campaign may conceal an agenda of forced contraception for over 2 million Kenyan women.” This dangerous myth threatens the lives of thousands of Kenyan children, who are now exposed to tetanus, which is easily preventable with a safe vaccine.

The most influential anti-GMO group in the US, the Organic Consumers Association (OCA), has also been directly involved in anti-vaccine campaigning. Earlier this year, OCA alongside anti-vaxxer groups the Vaccine Safety Council of Minnesota, the Minnesota Natural Health Coalition and the Minnesota Vaccine Freedom Coalition organized a meeting targeting Somali-Americans in the state, among whom vaccination rates have plunged.

According to National Public Radio, the activities of OCA and other anti-vaccine groups have led directly to a resurgence of measles among the Somali-American community. The measles outbreak resulted from myths spread by OCA and other groups about vaccines supposedly causing autism. As the Washington Post reported, discredited doctor Wakefield was another of those featured at events in the state. Wakefield’s theories about MMR vaccine and autism have led to a worldwide resurgence in preventable childhood diseases, leading inevitably to the deaths of some young children.

Despite these appalling activities, which include suggesting that Ebola can be cured by homeopathy and other such quackery, I am not aware of any move in the wider organic movement to censure the activities of the OCA or its leader, Ronnie Cummins. Cummins was one of the lead organizers of last year’s “Monsanto Tribunal” in The Hague, which attracted many of the anti-GMO scene’s other leading lights.

The OCA’s most influential activity has been its funding support of US Right to Know, which has targeted many biotech academics working at public universities with FoIA requests for thousands of their emails. OCA has pumped over half a million dollars into USRTK, enabling it to conduct influential campaigns to smear academics such as Kevin Folta, and to hire activists such as former Reuters journalist Carey Gillam to push out anti-GMO information in the media.

Another prominent funder of anti-GMO causes is the alternative health website Mercola.com, which has large amounts of coverage of the supposed health problems caused by vaccines, and even publishes a special supplement, “How to Legally Avoid Unwanted Immunizations of All Kinds.” Mercola.com broadcasts conspiracy theories against “big pharma,” enabling it to earn millions from selling “natural health” remedies as alternative treatments for those who believe its scare stories.

According to the Genetic Literacy Project, Mercola.com has pumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into the OCA, and also America’s leading anti-vaccine group, the National Vaccine Information Center.

As the Alliance for Science reported last week, anti-vaccine scaremongering has become increasingly successful in recent years. In Japan, campaigners against the HPV vaccine have contributed to a collapse in the rate of vaccination against HPV, from 70 percent in 2013 to less than 1 percent today. With 3,000 Japanese women dying from cervical cancer annually, and hundreds of thousands more deaths across the world, the mortality toll from HPV anti-vaxxers is likely to be high.

Happy Joe "I dropped out and will never trust anyone with qualifications" alt medicine tyoccon again found in this space. An example of big alt pharma influence.

I used to be a pharmacy technician & we never used the phrase “horse dewormer” in the pharmacy, we just called it Ivermectin Weird that media bros started a new way to name drugs that we weren’t taught in school Pretty cool being a journalist gives you credentials to do that!

horse dewormer is a response to conspiracy theories that tell the general population to ignore the advice of doctors and use a (horse and human) dewormer medication as an antiviral against COVID - for which there is at the moment no evidence. As in my post above this is dangerous.

There is some low quality evidence for its reducing COVID symptoms (symptomatic relief) balanced by increasing mild gastrointestinal symptoms.

Nobody understands anything as evidenced by this site. People are willing to discount mass observational evidence from now hundreds of doctors using it - and consider that "anecdotal" but are looking for some statistical darling study iinstead (that could only be funded by pharma but wont be funded by pharma)

I posted a careful meta-analysis of bias in ivermectin trials: https://www.medrxiv.org/conten…101/2021.08.19.21262304v1

Bias as a source of inconsistency in ivermectin trials for COVID-19: A systematic review

Background and purpose
    The objective of this systematic review is to summarize the effects of ivermectin for the
    prevention and treatment of patients with COVID-19 and to assess inconsistencies in results
    from individual studies with focus on risk of bias due to methodological limitations.
    Evidence review
    We searched the L.OVE platform through July 6, 2021 and included randomized trials (RCTs)
    comparing ivermectin to standard or other active treatments. We conducted random-effects
    pairwise meta-analysis, assessed the certainty of evidence using the GRADE approach and
    performed sensitivity analysis excluding trials with risk of bias.
    Results
    We included 29 RCTs which enrolled 5592 cases. Overall, the certainty of the evidence was very
    low to low. Compared to standard of care, ivermectin may reduce mortality, may increase
    symptom resolution or improvement, may increase viral clearance, may reduce infections in
    exposed individuals and may decrease hospitalizations (Risk difference (RD) 21 fewer per 1000,
    95%CI: 35 fewer to 4 more). However, after excluding trials classified as “high risk” or “some
    concerns” in the risk of bias assessment, most estimates of effect changed substantially:
    Compared to standard of care, low certainty evidence suggests that ivermectin may not
    significantly reduce mortality (RD 7 fewer per 1000, 95%CI: 77 fewer to 108 more) nor
    mechanical ventilation (RD 6 more per 1000, 95%CI: 43 fewer to 86 more), and moderate
    certainty evidence shows that it probably does not significantly increase symptom resolution or
    improvement (RD 14 more per 1000, 95%CI: 29 fewer to 71 more) nor viral clearance (RD 12
    fewer per 1000, 95%CI: 84 fewer to 76 more). It is uncertain if ivermectin increases or decreases
    severe adverse events and symptomatic infections in exposed individuals.
    Conclusions and Relevance
    Ivermectin may not improve clinically important outcomes in patients with COVID-19 and its
    effects as a prophylactic intervention in exposed individuals are uncertain. Previous reports
    concluding significant benefits associated with ivermectin are based on potentially biased results
    reported by studies with substantial methodological limitations. Further research is needed.

Ivermectin has been (and is still) heavily represented in large-scale expensive studies funded by govts

Here is why large high quality trials of ivermectin have already been funded and will still be funded:

• Governments (UK, US, etc) fund large repurposed drug discovery studies. The academics in charge of drug selection for these want to succeed finding drugs - no big pharma agenda
    • First success (UK funded RECOVERY) was dexamethasone- 30% death reduction and cheap - not a profit maker for big pharma
    • ACTIV-6 (NIH funded) testing ivermectin on large scale
    • PRINCIPLE(UK govt funded)

Here is why this meta-analysis is not biased against ivermectin

This meta-review was done according to guidelines (PRISMA) established before ivermectin pressure groups started:

The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews
    The Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) statement, published in 2009, was designed to help systematic reviewers…
    www.bmj.com

Methods
    This systematic review was performed in consistent with Preferred Reporting Items for
    Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) statement.[15]

Protocol registration
    This systematic review is part of a larger project that aims to conduct multiple systematic
    reviews for different questions relevant to COVID-19. The protocol stating the shared objectives
    and methodology of these reviews was published elsewhere.[16]

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32255438/
    Here is why this meta-analysis (explicitly and transparently taking into account bias) should be preferred over meta-analyses that do not explictly and objectively analyse bias

Other meta-analyses show different results (positive, negative). the difference needs to be understood. This review show that the results of trials look positive if you include low quality high likely bias, negative if you exclude them It shows that the statistical strength of the high quality trials is already quite high and will get higher when trials in progress report. It shows a very clear trend.

Here is the argument against the idea that anecdotal or low quality observational evidence should drive regulators:

Many drugs including ivermectin, were repurposed for the treatment of COVID-19, most often
    based on biological plausibility, in vitro research, or pathophysiological considerations.
    Ivermectin is a successful broad-spectrum anti-parasitic, included in WHO essential medicines
    list used to treat several neglected tropical diseases.[5] It emerged as a potential treatment for
    COVID-19 in mid-2020, following an in vitro study demonstrating its anti-viral properties.[6]
    Multiple systematic reviews have assessed the benefits and harm of ivermectin for COVID-19
    patients with inconsistent findings and conclusions.[7] Although some organizations and groups
    have argued strongly in favor of implementing ivermectin for treatment and/or prevention of
    COVID-19,[8] current key clinical practice guidelines recommend against its use outside the
    context of clinical trials.[9-12]
    Reasons for these major discrepancies are probably related to different evidence analytical and/or
    interpretation approaches. Assessing the risk of bias is one of the pillars of any systematic review
    and has proven to be essential for evidence interpretation in the present pandemic context where

results of studies with major methodological limitations have led to erroneous conclusions, waste
    of resources and patients’ exposure to potentially harmful interventions.[3,13,14] Nevertheless,
    most available systematic reviews on ivermectin for COVID-19 have not appropriately assessed
    risk of bias as a potential explanation for inconsistency between trial results. Therefore, this
    systematic review aims to summarize the best available evidence on ivermectin for prevention
    and treatment of COVID-19 patients and explore potential explanations for heterogeneity in
    RCTs results with focus on studies methodological limitations.

Here is what has made a lot of scientists at the moment are negative on ivermectin, but still want more data to be sure

The largest RCT on ivermectin (Elgazar) which delivered extraordinarily good results has been shown to be faked. Here is a good even-handed summary of where we are on that:

Flawed ivermectin preprint highlights challenges of COVID drug studies
    The study’s withdrawal from a preprint platform deals a blow to the anti-parasite drug’s chances as a COVID treatment, researchers say.
    www.nature.com

Throughout the pandemic, the anti-parasite drug ivermectin has attracted much attention, particularly in Latin America, as a potential way to treat COVID-19. But scientists say that recent, shocking revelations of widespread flaws in the data of a preprint study reporting that the medication greatly reduces COVID-19 deaths dampens ivermectin’s promise — and highlights the challenges of investigating drug efficacy during a pandemic.

“I was shocked, as everyone in the scientific community probably were,” says Eduardo López-Medina, a paediatrician at the Centre for the Study of Paediatric Infections in Cali, Colombia, who was not involved with the study and who has investigated whether ivermectin can improve COVID-19 symptoms. “It was one of the first papers that led everyone to get into the idea ivermectin worked” in a clinical-trial setting, he adds.

d41586-021-02081-w_18514936.jpg

Latin America’s embrace of an unproven COVID treatment is hindering drug trials

The paper summarized the results of a clinical trial seeming to show that ivermectin can reduce COVID-19 death rates by more than 90%1 — among the largest studies of the drug’s ability to treat COVID-19 to date. But on 14 July, after internet sleuths raised concerns about plagiarism and data manipulation, the preprint server Research Square withdrew the paper because of “ethical concerns”.

Ahmed Elgazzar at Benha University in Egypt, who is one of the authors on the paper, told Nature he was not given a chance to defend his work before it was removed.

Early in the pandemic, scientists showed that ivermectin could inhibit the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in cells in laboratory studies2. But data on ivermectin’s efficacy against COVID-19 in people are still scarce, and study conclusions conflict greatly, making the withdrawal of a major trial particularly noteworthy.

Although the World Health Organization advises against taking ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment outside clinical trials, the over-the-counter drug has become popular in some regions of the world. Some view it as a stopgap until vaccines become available in their areas, even though it has not yet been proven effective; scientists worry that it will also be seen as an alternative to vaccines, which are highly effective.

Ripple effects

The paper’s irregularities came to light when Jack Lawrence, a master’s student at the University of London, was reading it for a class assignment and noticed that some phrases were identical to those in other published work. When he contacted researchers who specialize in detecting fraud in scientific publications, the group found other causes for concern, including dozens of patient records that seemed to be duplicates, inconsistencies between the raw data and the information in the paper, patients whose records indicate they died before the study’s start date, and numbers that seemed to be too consistent to have occurred by chance.

d41586-021-02081-w_18058256.jpg

High-profile coronavirus retractions raise concerns about data oversight

In an editorial note, Research Square said that it has launched a formal investigation into the concerns raised by Lawrence and his colleagues. According to the Egyptian newspaper Al-Shorouk, Egypt’s minister of higher education and scientific research is also examining the allegations.

The paper was “withdrawn from the Research Square platform without informing or asking me”, Elgazzar wrote in an e-mail to Nature. He defended the paper, and said of the plagiarism allegations that “often phrases or sentences are commonly used and referenced” when researchers read one another’s papers.

Although dozens of ivermectin clinical trials have been launched over the past year3, the Elgazzar paper was notable for announcing one of the first positive results, as well as for its size — it included 400 people with symptoms of COVID-19 — and the magnitude of the drug’s effect. Few therapies can claim such an impressive reduction in death rates. “It was a significant difference, and that stood out,” says Andrew Hill, who studies repurposed drugs at the University of Liverpool, UK. “It should have raised red flags even then.”

Lawrence agrees. “I was absolutely shocked that no one had uncovered it,” he says.

d41586-021-02081-w_17973966.jpg

How swamped preprint servers are blocking bad coronavirus research

Before its withdrawal, the paper was viewed more than 150,000 times, cited more than 30 times and included in a number of meta-analyses that collect trial findings into a single, statistically weighted result. In one recent meta-analysis in the American Journal of Therapeutics that found ivermectin greatly reduced COVID-19 deaths4, the Elgazzar paper accounted for 15.5% of the effect.

One of the authors of the meta-analysis, statistician Andrew Bryant at Newcastle University, UK, says that his team corresponded with Elgazzar before publishing the work to clarify some data. “We had no reason to doubt the integrity of [Professor] Elgazzar,” he said in an e-mail. He added that in a pandemic setting, no one can reanalyse all of the raw data from patient records when writing a review. Bryant went on to say that his group will revise the conclusion if investigations find the study to be unreliable. However, even if the study is removed, the meta-analysis would still show that ivermectin causes a major reduction in deaths from COVID-19, he says.

Reliable data needed

The paper’s withdrawal is not the first scandal to dog studies of ivermectin and COVID-19. Hill thinks many of the other ivermectin trial papers that he has scanned are likely to be flawed or statistically biased. Many rely on small sample sizes or were not randomized or well controlled, he says. And in 2020, an observational study of the drug was withdrawn after scientists raised concerns about it and a few other papers using data by the company Surgisphere that investigated a range of repurposed drugs against COVID-19. “We’ve seen a pattern of people releasing information that’s not reliable,” says Hill. “It’s hard enough to do work on COVID and treatment without people distorting databases.”

Carlos Chaccour, a global-health researcher at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health in Spain, says it has been difficult to conduct rigorous studies on ivermectin. That’s partly because funders and academics in wealthy countries haven’t supported them, and, he suspects, have often dismissed trials of ivermectin because most of them have been done in lower-income countries. Furthermore, says Rodrigo Zoni, a cardiologist at the Corrientes Cardiology Institute in Argentina, it is difficult to recruit participants because many people — particularly in Latin America — are already taking the widely available drug in an attempt to prevent COVID-19.

How a torrent of COVID science changed research publishing — in seven charts

Adding to the difficulty are conspiracy theories holding that ivermectin has been proven to work and that drug companies are depriving the public of a cheap cure. Chaccour says he has been called ‘genocidal’ for doing research on the drug rather than just endorsing it.

Although the jury is still out on ivermectin, many say the retraction speaks to the difficulty of assessing research during a pandemic. “I personally have lost all faith in the results of [ivermectin] trials published to date,” says Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, an epidemiologist at the University of Wollongong in Australia who helped Lawrence to analyse the Elgazzar paper. It’s not yet possible to assess whether ivermectin works against COVID-19 because the data currently available are not of sufficiently high quality, he says, adding that he is reading other ivermectin papers in his spare time, looking for signs of fraud or other problems.

Chaccour and others studying ivermectin say that proof of whether the drug is effective against COVID-19 rests on a handful of large, ongoing studies, including a trial in Brazil with more than 3,500 participants. By the end of 2021, says Zoni, around 33,000 people will have participated in some kind of ivermectin trial.

“I think it is our duty to exhaust all potential benefits,” says Chaccour, especially given that most countries still do not have widespread access to vaccines. “Ultimately if you do a trial and it fails, fine, but at least we tried.”

Nature 596, 173-174 (2021)

Here is why my spidey-sense is currently mostly negative on ivermectin

Bryant et al are FLCC pressure group led. They are trying to gte a positive result while also constrained to use scientiifc principles. They get positive results from their meta-analysis by rating studies for what they have not been able to uncover much information about methodology etc as uncertain bias - and including them in the meta-analysis.

If the uncertain bias studies are excluded - ivermectin looks neutral in effect except some hope it might reduce hospitalisation - possibly because it relieves symptoms which would also explain why many doctors using it believe it works!

Elgazzar's study was rated uncertain by Bryant et al although it has been comprehensively shown to have major holes.

Triangulating the controversy about this study - the academic doing it may not be deliberately fraudulent. But he has undoubtedly committed bad academic practice (cut-and-paste text from other sources without reference, cut-and-paste raw data). He may claim those known problems do not affect the overall results, but for any science to be meaningful you require very high standards of integrity otherwise unconscious bias generates false results. In any case the very highly positive and statistically signiifcant results of his study, if true, would surely mean that other RCTs would have overall positive results.

Look in detail at the bias meta-analysis forest diagrams (Figure 2) to see this. It is fascinating with a whole load of detailed information I don't have time to post here.

Here is why a 'safe' drug is not 'safe'

• If not approved, few doctors will want to prescribe ivermectin off-label (primum non nocere even though this Latin translation is inacurate). Due to pressure-group PR and conspiracy theories in social media many desperate people will use animal-quality ivermectin and also overdose themselves. even safe drugs are not safe at high eenough doses - for example at the dose that in vitro studies says will kill COVID.
    • If approved, partly as result of pressure groups and conspiracy theories, many people will believe themselves safe because of the drug and not take other precautions. Thus being more in danger. It is no good saying that sensible people will not do this. It is the duty of doctors to help everyone, not just science-reading internet nerds.

The usual THH FUD trick!

--> use wrong data Moderna instead of Pfizer to claim less damage. And not adding 18.5 +20.2 about 40

as not jabs count. May be you know it too you can only die once ... so we counted patients.

Ok, apologies, I thought you were talking mRNA vaccines overall, my mistake. Why do you think Pfizer is worse for pericarditis than Moderna? The rumour seems to be the reverse - Moderna has high dose of mRNA so any reactions likely larger there? Anyway why cherry-pick just one of these - I thought you were against mRNA vaccines?

I was compensating for the 2 jabs one patient thing, and the fact that 2nd dose normally carries most of the pericarditis risk.

I'm mystified why you think I'm posting FUD? How do my posts make you afraid?

It is my duty to tell the truth as accurately as I can - a filter you do not have

Longitudinal Analysis Reveals Distinct Antibody and Memory B Cell Responses in SARS-CoV2 Naïve and Recovered Individuals Following mRNA Vaccination - PubMed
    Novel mRNA vaccines for SARS-CoV2 have been authorized for emergency use and are currently being administered to millions of individuals worldwide. Despite…
    pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Novel mRNA vaccines for SARS-CoV2 have been authorized for emergency use and are currently being administered to millions of individuals worldwide. Despite their efficacy in clinical trials, there is limited data on vaccine-induced immune responses in individuals with a prior SARS-CoV2 infection compared to SARS-CoV2 naïve subjects. Moreover, how mRNA vaccines impact the development of antibodies as well as memory B cells in COVID-19 experienced versus COVID-19 naïve subjects remains poorly understood. In this study, we evaluated antibody responses and antigen-specific memory B cell responses over time in 33 SARS-CoV2 naïve and 11 SARS-CoV2 recovered subjects. mRNA vaccination induced significant antibody and memory B cell responses against full-length SARS-CoV2 spike protein and the spike receptor binding domain (RBD). SARS-CoV2 naïve individuals benefitted from both doses of mRNA vaccine with additional increases in antibodies and memory B cells following booster immunization. In contrast, SARS-CoV2 recovered individuals had a significant immune response after the first dose with no increase in circulating antibodies or antigen-specific memory B cells after the second dose.

mRNA vaccines induce memory B-cell response.

Moreover, the magnitude of the memory B cell response induced by vaccination was lower in older individuals, revealing an age-dependence to mRNA vaccine-induced B cell memory.

But it is less good in elder people.

As I said in last post, current COVID mRNA vaccines decrease significantly in effectiveness over time. However it would be strange if they provided no protection. Even for elderly people.

That's correct 5 myocarditis deaths/mio vaccinated for the Pfizer crap according US military very coincidental...

As you say. These 5 Deaths are confirmed by experts!

The deaths game.

It is not 5 per million. Nor is it 1 per billion.

New Zealand reports first death linked to Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
    New Zealand reported its first recorded death linked to the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, the health ministry said on Monday, after a woman suffered a rare…
    www.reuters.com

The risk of myocarditis was 18.5 per million doses given among people aged 18 to 24 after their second Pfizer dose and 20.2 per million for that age group among Moderna second dose recipients. The risk decreases with age, according to the CDC analysis based on its national reporting system.

The EU's drug regulator said on July 9 that five people had died due to the heart side effect after receiving either of the two mRNA vaccines in the European Economic Area, all of whom were elderly or had other diseases. More than 200 million mRNA doses have been administered in the region.

(assume 80 million people with 2nd much higher probability of myocardia dose, some have only 1 dose).

death rate Pfizer = 5 / 80M = 1 per 16,000,000

New Zealand has provisionally approved use of the Pfizer/BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) and AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccines, but only the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for rollout to the public. More than 3 million doses have been given so far, mostly to people over 50.

1 per 1,500,000 (unlucky - but linked does not mean caused by, background rate of these events is higher than 1 : 1,500,000)

THH

EDIT - if you go on a military style forced march with myocardia it might be higher - I doubt that happened to any of the EU military.

Its good that THH has rejuvenated its backbone,after a short recuperation

,, maybe it was the Remdesivir? or the VitD,

I'm just enjoying the thought of polluting your screen with all those annoying blue bands.

Yes, even 24 hours away from the unsavoury anti-vax-lite brigade here (RB is not anti-vax-lite - he is just anti everything* except ivermectin-lite) and my zest for continuing to save lives and reduce hardship by counteracting false statements returns.

* particularly THH - son of satan - devil spawn from the outer darkness sent to tempt and corrupt the otherwise pure minds inhabiting the LENR COVID thread

As the CDC statistics shows the "vaccine power" decreases by about 10%/month.

• It would be unlikely for the slope of the decrease to stay 10%, because like most things it will be an exponential decrease. There is no evidence in your link for a continued 10% decrease.
    • The different parts of the induced immunity are bound to decay at different rates. T-cell response is likely to be longer-lasting.

So anyway, measuring vaccine power by how sick do you get there is good reason to think that some beneficial effect will last for a long time - though not enough to prevent hospitals overflowing if very high COVID rates persist. Luckily - they won't, because natural immunity + vaccination (and the two are not mutually exclusive) will hit it on the head.

Unless we get a really nasty new variant before that happens...

I don't want anyone here to think I know what is going to happen - I'm just pointing out W certainly does not know.

THH

The vaccine terrorists talk of vaccines because these gen therapies have a similar effect. But the gen therapy is not a vaccination that strengthens your immune system. The gen therapy just produces more or less monoclonal antibodies. This was also the original name for this therapy in cancer. Mono clonal antibody therapy.

So THH's arguments are fake and based on mediocre understanding what science is.

W as is his style is lying again (I was going to say exagerrating - but it is a bit more than that).

The mRNA vaccines code for spike protein sequences - it is true. In that sense the proteins that are generated by the vaccine are less varied than what the body gets when a whole load of COVID viruses enter it.

The antibodies generated are not monoclonal. A given protein will raise varied antibodies (different for each person). It is ironic - the anti-vaxers here paint a picture of mRNA vaccines as being artificial and dangerous, but actually all they are doing is introducing to your immune system in a very safe way a subset of the exposed virus proteins. Those proteins do not stick around for long, and the change comes from your bodies natural immune response. Just like what would happen with the virus except then you gte a larger number of proteins, around for longer. The mRNA vaccine generates T and B memory cells, enough for a long-term response, though how long-term is another issue. It seems likley teh T cell response will stick around a good deal longer than the B-cell reponse.

B-cell response not monoclonal

These latter cross-reactive B cell clones had higher levels of somatic hypermutation as compared to those that recognized only the SARS-CoV-2 S protein, which suggests a memory B cell origin. Our studies demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 mRNA-based vaccination of humans induces a persistent germinal centre B cell response, which enables the generation of robust humoral immunity.

T-cell response not monoclonal

COVID-19 vaccine BNT162b1 elicits human antibody and TH1 T cell responses - Nature
    In a phase I/II dose-escalation clinical trial, the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine BNT162b1 elicits specific T cell and antibody responses that suggest it has…
    www.nature.com

Two doses of 1–50 μg of BNT162b1 elicited robust CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses and strong antibody responses, with RBD-binding IgG concentrations clearly above those seen in serum from a cohort of individuals who had recovered from COVID-19. Geometric mean titres of SARS-CoV-2 serum-neutralizing antibodies on day 43 were 0.7-fold (1-μg dose) to 3.5-fold (50-μg dose) those of the recovered individuals. Immune sera broadly neutralized pseudoviruses with diverse SARS-CoV-2 spike variants. Most participants had T helper type 1 (TH1)-skewed T cell immune responses with RBD-specific CD8+ and CD4+ T cell expansion. Interferon-γ was produced by a large fraction of RBD-specific CD8+ and CD4+ T cells. The robust RBD-specific antibody, T cell and favourable cytokine responses induced by the BNT162b1 mRNA vaccine suggest that it has the potential to protect against COVID-19 through multiple beneficial mechanisms.

Do mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines induce memory T cell response similar to natural infection?
    A team of scientists from the United States has recently compared the epitope-specific T cell response after natural severe acute respiratory syndrome…
    www.news-medical.net

Six epitopes from the spike protein and 12 epitopes from non-spike proteins were selected to measure T cell responses. The comparison of T cell response after infection or vaccination revealed no significant difference in magnitudes of response, memory phenotypes, T cell receptor repertoire diversity, and αβ T cell receptor sequence motifs in memory T cells generated by natural SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination. These findings indicate that the BNT162b2 is capable of boosting pre-existing vaccine-induced as well as infection-induced immunity after the prime-boost immunization.

Importantly, the study identified T cell responses to a spike-derived epitope that is cross-reactive to common cold coronaviruses. Moreover, the analysis of longitudinal samples from COVID-19 recovered participants before and after vaccination identified a subset of T cells, including differentiated effector cells or actively proliferating T cells, which was transient and could not be observed in the same donor at later timepoints. However, the expanded clones from which these transient T cells were derived persisted in other T cell subsets with long-lived memory phenotypes. This indicates that robust T cell memory can be generated by both natural infection and vaccination.

None of which is to say that immune response to mRNA vaccines is as good or as long lasting as response to the full virus - if you are lucky enough to have a strong immune system that can generate it.

W, as always, seizes onto some hotel shampoo bottle larceny and turns it into a major bullion heist.

another blow to the vaccine warriors!Harvard Epidemiologist Says the Case for COVID Vaccine Passports Was Just Demolished

New research found that natural immunity offers exponentially more protection than COVID-19 vaccines.

FM1 this is a straw man.

I, presumably, would count as a vaccine warrior? But I've never been much in favour of COVID vaccine passports for lots of reasons. (Mainly - not clear would overall encourage vaccine take-up - which is what countries need to get through a high delta infection winter without severely unpleasant consequences on health systems).

This war imagery "vaccine warrior etc" is profoundly bad for science. The anti-vaxers are anti-science, so will use it. No-one else needs to do so!

EDIT - what Jed says above does remain a possible reason for demanding vaccine passports - it will add protection to everyone - but it might in some ways be fairer to look at antibody tests.

88,000 prescriptions written, no reports of overdose or deaths nor even a headache, and best of all no reports of prescribed ivermectin patients being hospitalized. Proof is in the patients recovering!!!

FM1

80,000 prescriptions: more people thatn this think homeopathy, or tin foil hats, help? But then I guess they have had longer to get good PR in place.

No overdose reports. Maybe not, if you look only at FLCC websites...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed with the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) that human exposures and adverse effects associated with ivermectin reported to poison control centers have increased in 2021 compared to the pre-pandemic baseline. These reports include increased use of veterinary products not meant for human consumption.

No ivermectin takers

end up in hospital?Policeman dies from COVID

A police captain who refused the vaccine and took the anti-parasitic ivermectin to combat COVID-19 dies from the virus

A Georgia police officer who frequently posted anti-vaxx messages on Facebook and took an anti-parasitic drug instead of a vaccine has died of COVID-19.

Captain Joe Manning, 57, of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office died on Wednesday after a short battle with the virus, according to local news station WSAV.

Sheriff Chuck Moseley said, "Captain Manning was an integral part of our family and our hearts are broken. Our love and prayers go forward to his family," according to WSAV."

After the announcement of his death, Facebook posts made by Manning circulated on social media.

In one post, Manning shared an image that said, "I am not vaccinated by choice and that's my right."

In another, Manning encouraged people to stock up on the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, frequently used to deworm horses, and increasingly being taken by people in a misguided attempt to treat or prevent COVID-19.

Here is a good no politics summary of evidence from non-pressure-group treatment advocates.

Reviews of ivermectin for COVID-19: evidence from RCTs is still needed | HTB | HIV i-Base

Unfortunately, the last two published RCTs did not report a benefit. This included a Columbian study that randomised 476 adults with PCR-confirmed mild COVID-19 disease to either ivermectin (300 μg/kg) or placebo for five days, given as an oral solution. [4]

There were no significant differences in the time to resolving symptoms between the two groups: 10 vs 12 days; HR: 1.07 (95CI: 0.87 to 1.32), p=0.53, with symptoms resolving in 82% and 79% in the active vs placebo groups respectively.

A second study from Argentina randomised 501 participants (1:1) to ivermectin or placebo in a staggered dose, according to weight, for 2 days. There was no significant difference on the primary endpoint of hospitalisation: 14/250 (5.6%) vs 21/251 (8.4%) in ivermectin vs placebo (OR: 0.65; 95% CI: 0.32 to 1.31), p= 0.227. [5]

So for evidence of ivermectin hospitalisations look at any of the trials, and note that in ig trials the ivermectin patients go to hopsital and die like the placebo ones.

Interestingly, there is some meta-analysis evidence (but of low prevision, unlike the high precision remdesivir evidence of the same) that ivermectin reduces hospitalisation a bit (I think HR ~ 0.66) which remains whether you take all trials, or only the high quality ones. Though not any of the other measured outcomes. My guess is that it provides symptomatic relief in many cases (with 5% gastrointestinal side effects as flip side of this).

You might ask why doctors are so much more positive about remdesivir: which has similar though much more accurate evidence on its effect reducing hospitalisation?

In absence of strong evidence from testing people tend to look for is the drug plausible. this can be wrong, but is a good starting point

An important complication, and a caution to any positive results – carefully explained in the paper from Andrew Hill – is that pharmacokinetic studies have shown that drug levels achieved with highest tolerable dosing remain too low to have a direct therapeutic effect reported in in vitro studies. Without PK support for a potential mechanism it is difficult to see how ivermectin could work.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2007764

Remdesivir (GS-5734), an inhibitor of the viral RNA-dependent, RNA polymerase with in vitro inhibitory activity against SARS-CoV-1 and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS-CoV),5-8 was identified early as a promising therapeutic candidate for Covid-19 because of its ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 in vitro.9 In addition, in nonhuman primate studies, remdesivir initiated 12 hours after inoculation with MERS-CoV10,11 reduced lung virus levels and lung damage.

Notably, two compounds remdesivir (EC50 = 0.77 μM; CC50 > 100 μM; SI > 129.87) and chloroquine (EC50 = 1.13 μM; CC50 > 100 μM, SI > 88.50) potently blocked virus infection at low-micromolar concentration and showed high SI (Fig. 1a, b).

Good in vitro antiviral (EC50) vs cell toxicicity (CC50) ratio does not mean a drug will actually work for real, but it is a plausible starting point.

ivermectin has a poor starting point, and needs clear clinical evidence to counteract that:

Another important consideration relates to potency, relative selectivity and toxicity of ivermectin. Our evaluation of in vitro studies showed that ivermectin exerts selectivity for some viruses in ex vivo mammalian cell infection models utilizing Vero, Huh and BHK cells. However, the micromolar concentration range required to inhibit replication by 50% for most viruses may be a cause for concern. Clinically approved formulations of ivermectin can be administered orally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly or topically with a recommended dose range of 150–200 µg/kg in humans and 6–500 µg/kg in animals depending on species and formulation, and the indicated clinical applications. With this dose range, pharmacokinetic characterizations have shown that attainable peak plasma concentrations increase with dose and may range from 3–48 ng/mL in dogs, 21–82 ng/mL in horses, 7–40 ng/mL in pigs, 9–60 ng/mL in sheep, 12–133 ng/mL in cattle and 20–81 ng/mL in humans [38-40]. A study on safety and tolerability of escalating doses of ivermectin in healthy humans showed that a single dose (120 mg) that is 10-fold bigger than the clinically recommended dose (200 µg/kg) was well tolerated and it yielded a peak plasma concentration equivalent to 248 ng/mL with an elimination half-life of 19 hr [41]. Similarly, population-based pharmacokinetic modelling revealed that ivermectin administered orally for three days at 600 µg/kg would yield maximal median plasma concentrations of 105–119 ng/mL (0.12–0.14 µM) and an elimination half-life of 3–5 hr [42]. These data indicate that even with extremely high doses of ivermectin, attainable peak plasma concentrations would remain markedly lower than established EC50 concentrations for most viruses in vitro, albeit significantly higher than 0.5–1 ng/mL that is optimal for the anthelmintic activity. The use of extremely high doses of ivermectin would increase the prospect of adverse drug-drug interactions in patients requiring polypharmacy, as is often the case in viral infections [2, 43].

None of this stops ivermectin from being a useful anti-viral COVID drug. It takes large high quality trials to determine that for sure. I keep on with this stuff because I feel the conspiracy theories about medical establishment out to prevent ivermectin are completely wrong. The PR has had an effect. It has been incorporated in a whole load of large clinical trials - if it were not for major pressure group activity I doubt that would have happened on evidence alone because of the above.

Fewer than one in 20 (4%) were found to have experienced symptoms for four weeks or more, with one in 50 (2%) having symptoms for more than eight weeks.

The most common symptoms reported were headaches and tiredness. Others included a sore throat and loss of smell.

On average, older children were typically ill for slightly longer than primary school children, with those aged between 12 and 17 taking a week to recover while for younger children the illness lasted five days.

It's the scientists hope that these findings will reassure families, while also validating those who have experienced prolonged illness.

That is in line with what we had preciously had reported. Worth pointing out though that while this is fairly good news, if we say 50% of that 2% go on to have long-term problems, that is still 730,000 children in the US.

That needs to be weighted in the balance with pericarditis etc when deciding whether vaccination is good or bad for children.

THH

AS said they mixed 17 patients from one branch into an other what is bad style and not wrong at all if you look at the meaning of the branches. So if early treatment did fail a patient becomes a member of the severely ill group. But what then is wrong is claiming 500 people in the study albeit some were double use...

As said just bad style or unscientific but no wrong results.

That report was wrong in so many ways, and had very surprising results, to trust it would be an act of folly or fanaticism. Without very careful protocols and checking scientific data gets all messed up here, as has happened here. I'm not interested in whether this was deliberate fraud r incompetence, using the results now this is known is gross scientific malpractice.

Good of you to have total trust in what the health care establishment tells you. Wish I were that way, life would be so simple if so, but am stubborn I guess.

The problem is - who else do you trust? A niche of the internet (here) dominated by a news site set up by somone with a bee in his bonnet that delivers its own very eccentric views? Doctors running an ivermectin pressure group that most medics think is misguided and unhelpful? Most people in the UK go to their own GP who then points out why ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/etc are unproven drugs with as yet no evidence.

I posted above the negatives of saying (on current non-evidence) that ivermectin works. You might think why not, since medically it will not do any obvious harm. But in other ways it can and has already done harm to some people.

Clearly the posters on this forum are generally smarter than average and well educated, and yet even on this forum there are diametrically opposed interpretations of the same data.

So how average Joe is supposed to make sense of it all?

I think the average joe goes to his GP whom he trusts to interpret the advice.

All it seems we see are stories about those unvaccinated "idiots" getting severely sick, and dying, but fact is the vaccinated are getting Delta (breakthroughs) AND are getting sick also. Some severely, and yes, some dying. I want something in my back pocket if that happens to me.

What may I ask are you going to do if, god forbid, you get symptomatic? You are already vaccinated. Don't you want to at least try something, anything, instead of waiting until your lips turn blue and then check into the ER?

The vaccines are great, and have saved many lives, reduced severity of breakthrough infections, but I want an anti-viral to have in the medicine chest as a Plan B. If I think it works, it is safe, and there are some studies backing it, I WANT it!

You, the FDA, and the WHO should just mind your own business if you disagree. Surely you have better battles to fight than dissuading people from using a safe drug in a pandemic?

If everyone left it to local doctors, who can look at the guidance and reach their own views, all would be good. But we have sustained and powerful ivermectin pressure groups working to influence people, which then creates pressure on doctors.

See my post above why recommending a safe but ineffective drug in an epidemic is not a safe thing to do. And the establishment allows ivermectin under medical investigation conditions.