woodworker Member
  • Member since May 26th 2017
  • Last Activity:

Posts by woodworker

This is the Race that is hard to believe but it happened.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

How about this one:

The Badwater Ultramarathon describes itself as "the world's toughest foot race". It is a 135-mile (217 km) course starting at 279 feet (85 m) below sea level[1] in the Badwater Basin, in California's Death Valley, and ending at an elevation of 8360 feet (2548 m) at Whitney Portal, the trailhead to Mount Whitney. It takes place annually in mid-July, when the weather conditions are most extreme and temperatures can reach 130 °F (54 °C). Consequently, very few people—even among ultramarathoners—are capable of finishing this grueling race.

The field is invitation-only and limited in size. Demand to participate in the race usually far exceeds available spots. Rules have changed somewhat over the years: afternoon starts have been discontinued; the use of intravenous fluids now disqualifies a runner.

Course support is not provided. Each runner must arrange for his or her own support crew and vehicle. The crew provides their runner with his or her needs, including water, ice, food, gear, pacing, and first aid.

In the past, runners were allowed sixty hours to complete the course,[3] but this has been changed to a 48-hour course limit and a 28 hours cutoff at Panamint Springs Resort.[4] Finishers receive a belt buckle and medal but no prize money is awarded.

The record for the 146-mile (235 km) race was set in 1991 by Marshall Ulrich: 33 hours and 54 minutes. Records for the current 135-mile (217 km) course are 21 hours 33 minutes 01 seconds (men), set by Yoshihiko Ishikawa, and 24 hours 13 minutes 24 seconds (women), set by Patryzja Bereznowska.[5]  In 2002 Pam Reed was the first woman to become the overall winner of the Badwater Ultramarathon. She subsequently repeated as overall winner of the race in 2003. In 2002, her win also set the women's course record at the time.

IMHO, all of these people are NUTS. I used to know an ultra-marathoner and I asked him once, just once, what he did for fun. He said, "go over to the local high school with a few buddies and do a quick 50 [miles]." They are all CRAZY. But I love them, crazy and all.

The guy is clearly incredible. 10,000 connections by hand, 24 hours of record setting running at the age of 19, and an unbeaten boxer. When does it stop?

Given this, it's amazing that he cannot beat his wife in tennis. Maybe she played competitively. I'll have to ask.

This would impress me -- I believe the record is somewhere around 17 hours.

The Western States ® 100-Mile Endurance Run is the world’s oldest 100-mile trail race. Starting in Olympic Valley, California near the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics and ending 100.2 miles later in Auburn, California, Western States, in the decades since its inception in 1974, has come to represent one of the ultimate endurance tests in the world.

Following the historic Western States Trail, runners climb more than 18,000 feet and descend nearly 23,000 feet before they reach the finish line at Placer High School in Auburn. In the miles between Olympic Valley and Auburn, runners experience the majestic high country beauty of Emigrant Pass and the Granite Chief Wilderness, the crucible of the canyons of the California gold country, a memorable crossing of the ice-cold waters of the main stem of the Middle Fork of the American River, and, during the latter stages, the historic reddish-brown-colored trails that led gold-seeking prospectors and homesteading pilgrims alike to the welcoming arms of Auburn.

It highly doubt it was a Master's degree in chemical engineering, but something more like a Bachelors level. So no thesis would be required.

It's an exaggeration to say Kensington was a 'pure diploma mill', but anything to get a dig in at Rossi makes it worth it, huh.

If you are going to cherry pick from the Los Angeles Times (link below), let us see some more from that article:

"Recruiting from across the nation, the school runs a program in which students studying entirely at home can earn anything from a bachelor’s degree to a doctorate--all without ever attending a single class or even meeting their instructors face to face. To the school’s owner, Alfred Calabro, Kensington’s “no fat, no bull” correspondence method reflects the future of higher education: serving students who want to expand their knowledge but can’t afford to put their careers and bills on hold. But to state regulators, Kensington hands out advanced degrees “which may have little, if any academic value” and has been perpetrating a “fraud on the public.”"

And the paragraphs immediately preceding your cherry-picking:

"The school’s first state review in 1994 found many problems, including routine acceptance of below-par student work, awarding inflated credit for so-called “life experience,” and not having enough faculty.

In one case, reviewers found that the school awarded a doctoral candidate in psychology credit for reading magazine articles and doing about a dozen short reaction papers. A later report said the school also awarded doctoral degrees after as little as four months’ work. In other violations cited by the state, an environmental science student received 52 credits for unspecified life experience, even though the legal limit is 30 credits. The same three instructors were reviewing all doctoral dissertations, regardless of the subject, even though the usual academic practice is for the readers to be experts in the field. And one education program graduate’s master’s thesis was replete with factual errors, regulators found. “When you have to read through this stuff, you say, ‘Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God,’ ” said Elena Ackel, a Los Angeles legal aid attorney who is vice chair of the Council for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education."

And please inform us exactly what degree Rossi got from Kensington. IIRC it was not a Bachelor's Degree. I don't see how you could get any degree in Chemistry without having done laboratory work and Kensington had no labs. Of course Rossi could just say that he did any lab work at his lab and they could have just taken his word for it -- great basis for granting a degree. However, it would explain his modus operandi for his "development" of his various widgets.

https://www.latimes.com/archiv…04-23-me-61657-story.html

So, in other words, testing and everything else has to start over from scratch. Another delaying tactic.

It sounds like you won't be crushed to the core if Rossi doesn't have the goods. Me neither.

(So much for being in a cult!)

Yet, if he doesn't have the goods, I for one will be disappointed in Rossi as a human being, because he would have known better, unlike (say) psychopaths who arguably are hardwired to not give a damn about moral repugnancy of deception.

Your argument assumes facts not in evidence. You essentially say that he is not a psychopath but present no real evidence for that. He lies, he cheats, he steals, and he commits fraud, all without any apparent remorse and over quite a number of years -- I don't know if he is a psychopath but to me those are not the characteristics of an honorable gentlemen concerned with the well being of others.

Just looked, and see that Rossi got his chemical engineering degree at Kensington University : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_University

Looks like Rossi's degree would still be valid, and, it's not like he didn't have to work to get it.

Well, he did have to write a check. Tell me, where is his chemical engineering thesis? These are almost generally posted online by now. Kensington was a pure diploma mill -- write a check, tell them how your life experience qualified you for a degree and you got one.

Also, would someone please point to an article that can explain, in layman's terms, exactly what zero point energy is, or supposed to be. My only frame of reference for it is what I gleaned from Star Gate Atlantis, and unlike some of my fellow Americans, I know that what is portrayed on that show is FICTION.

First, ignore my "like." I hit the button by mistake and the system won't let me undo. As to Rossi's expertise in metal working and carpentry, this explains how he managed to construct the Doral heat exchanger and then remove all by his lonesome, without any help from anyone, at least anyone identifiable. As to his patented inventions, so what. It is not that difficult to get a patent. But getting a patent on something that actually is useful, productive, does what it is supposed to do and is marketable is a completely different matter. And as has been discussed and established ad nauseum, his patent for the alleged "universe shattering free energy" widget is nothing of the sort. As for what he had accomplished by age 23, again so what. I have good friends, one whom got his PhD in computer science from UCLA at 19, another who got his BS in Chemistry at UCLA in two years and then hung around another year to get his Masters, all before going to law school, and one of my best friends got his BS in Organic Chemistry at University of Washington (state), his PhD in Inorganic Chemistry at Stanford and his law degree at Stanford, all before he was 25. My point is that there are a lot of well-educated smart people out there, and most of them didn't go on to get a bogus degree from a diploma mill and then list that on their CV. Rossi did exactly that and that is all I need to know or understand about his academic prowess.

Well, fraudsters mostly have law degrees. But philosophy and law degrees are morally equivalent.

As a lawyer, I have to disagree on the first account and I don't propose to pass moral judgments on an entire class of people because they chose a particular path of education. As to the first account, most fraudsters do not have a law degree -- most fraudsters don't have the patience to wait and go through 4 years of undergrad, 3 years of law school (with the attendant expense now being approximately 45K a year just for tuition) and then have to pass the bar. It is much easier to just claim you are a lawyer and then defraud someone. As to philosophy and law, I do think that there are some similarities in that both try to teach one to question the accepted "TRUTH", especially when the evidence for it is all "I say, therefore it must be." Both try to teach one to ask questions, intelligent questions intended to get at both the facts and the truth of an issue, and how to reason in a logical fashion. Logic is an essential element in taking philosophy and IMHO should be in law, but it is not.

Steve Jobs -- After all, their computers came in pretty colors and were "sexy" and "fun." Of course they were also fairly groundbreaking in the market at which they were aiming. But Jobs, his securities lawyers and his financial advisers actually knew how to talk and sell to investors and they didn't play bullshit games with them. Potential investors were allowed to test drive machines, to visit the manufacturing facilities and to ask and demand answers that were responsive (at least until Apple got so big they could tell everyone to just believe them).

I doubt it. IMO, all Rossi has done is switch one fake product for another. After all, so far all we have is Rossi's word that his new widget works. Still no publication of customer's/partner's/tester's names. Rossi was a fraud in Doral and the current iteration of his widget is just another example of wash, rinse, repeat.

Then why did representatives of IH try to bribe Dr. Levi to withdraw his support of the Lugano Report ?

See : PLAINTIFFS’ MOTION FOR SANCTIONS FOR BAD FAITH LITIGATION CONDUCTCase 1:16-cv-21199-CMA Document 167 Entered on FLSD Docket 03/09/2017

It is my recollection that said motion was denied. Also, I would caution you against making such allegations as they would appear to be defamatory. FYI, allegations made in a motion in a court proceeding are generally considered exempt from defamation claims, your statements are not. Also, having worked Jones, Day, Reavis, Pogue & Satan (lawyer joke) attorneys many times (although not the attorneys who worked on this case), I very much doubt that they tried to bribe anyone. Given that their estimated revenues are now over $2 Billion a year, they are not going to risk sanctions like that which could seriously damage their judicial reputation. (they are also known as "Jones, Day, Night & Weekends" for the hours they expect their associates to work).

What constitutes a "due agreement?" The only form of NDA I can see both he and a legitimate third party agree to is an agreement whereby the third party has the absolute right to do the tests that want, without requiring Rossi to reveal his secret sauce, and requiring that, in the event that the third party is unhappy with the tests, that both Rossi and the third party cannot disclose the results of the tests and cannot in fact even disclose that the tests happened, i.e., no statements by Rossi that the third party did tests but that he can't disclose the results because of confidentiality. If third party is unhappy with results, then Rossi cannot even disclose the existence of the testing. Now, assuming arguendo that the test results do not impress the third party, Rossi doesn't gain anything by doing the tests, so he is better off just claiming that a third party did the tests, the third party loved the results and he would love to disclose the name but "confidentiality." Which is what I think will happen -- there will be no legitimate third party, Rossi will toss out several names of real third parties, e.g., ABB, GE, etc. with whom he is "discussing" testing. He will then say that he and an unnamed real company have agreed to testing, wonderful results, etc. He doesn't spend any time or money on tests, he claims wonderful results, his acolytes rejoice in wonder once more and agree that if something is commercially marketed by [fill in the date next year, two years, etc.] they will no longer believe.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Why did such seemingly intelligent businessmen when confronted with a court case against him not show in court that the Lugano test was flawed ?

As Para stated, with the Optris ravi files it would take about 10 minutes to do so.

And that would have been very strong evidence against Rossi.

Maybe it is telling that IH did not take that route ?

As the case settled before any witnesses were called or any evidence introduced, any discussion of what would or would not have been introduced at trial is speculation. Having said that, IMO IH would have introduced as much admissible evidence of Rossi's lies and fraud as they were able. I am not familiar with the specifics of the Lugano incident so I won't opine on whether or not it may have been admissible. My personal $.02 opinion is that IH settled because they were afraid of a idiot jury who would just see a charismatic old man vs the big bad investment bankers and that even if they won they might not recover anything, and Rossi settled because he was afraid that the jury might see through him and force him to give back the $10 million to IH as well as having all of his lies and bs exposed to potential future investors/fanboys.

Would someone, if possible, translate that to a language spoken on earth?

The answer is simple: once AR conceives of/imagines about a new magnificence the can only be satisfied by creating such a new magnificence and any earlier models or iterations must, per force, be dropped and forgotten

Can the customer pick out a specific pattern and color?

Imaginarium.