nul-points Member
  • Male
  • from southern uk
  • Member since Mar 27th 2018
  • Last Activity:

Posts by nul-points

PhysicsForDummies

Axil, since you have a well established theory of how LENR works, can't you build a working device for others to replicate? I don't understand why you let people waste time trying to replicate LION when you already have it figured out. What was the highest COP you got on any of your devices?

LOL - Cancel SETI - higher lifeforms are amongst us! ...cruising our fora, sweet-talking our kids 😯

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/20…sonal-electronic-devices/

[Snip]...This radiation can cause permanent damage to the electronic circuitry, as well as temporary effects such as data corruption induced by Single Event Upsets

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…cle/pii/S0168900212010455

NB. your second quote refers to the effects of radiation on the actual electronic circuitry of the memory, not the data contained within it

if the hardware is undamaged (the meaning of 'temporary' in this 2nd quote) then the data corruption can be reversed (assuming appropriate hardware or software design, as i mentioned above), or the data will be wrong until the next 'write-cycle' to that location

if the electronics are damaged (the meaning of 'permanent' in this 2nd quote) then that memory will no longer function correctly (unless the memory device has built-in redundancy capability)

however, i suspect that in magicsound 's case the data glitch in not related to corruption caused by radiation

[sr]

if my hunch is correct, ie. that the TC 'glitch' value indicates all bits set in a 15 (or 16, if signed) bit binary integer, then i feel it is probably an indication either of data overflow (ie. data going out of range), or of comms being lost, due to interface issues - i would expect data corruption due to some kind of radiation to manifest as random corruption to individual bits of a memory 'cell' ( eg. not all 15 / 16 bits being set to '1')

[sr]

Can ionizing radiation temporarily distortthe contents of the memory that holds the binary integer that records temperature?

hi axil

as memory chips become smaller, to enable increased capacity (cf. Moore's 'Law'), i understand that they become ever more susceptible to corruption by some kind of radiation, whether local or space

i would expect the basic memory-state 'bit' to remain corrupted permanently until next written; however, if the the memory chip as a device, or the data-writing software, has been designed to include error-detection and correction then the effect could be temporary

i guess the self-correcting ability would only be economically viable in high-cost, or safety-critical, devices (so possibly not in standard lab-grade equipment?)

hth

[sr]

There now seems to be a problem with the Labjack comm connection, not fixed by re-booting the system.The plotly stream would also not initialize correctly.

hello Alan

magicsound , Alan Smith

re. the TC glitch (value 3277)

i believe this may be related to the maximum value of a 16-bit binary integer 1111 1111 1111 1111 base 2 = 32767 base 10 (using one of the bits as the sign)

if the value has been scaled as a fixed-point value to give 1 decimal place, say, and rounded to nearest integer, then 32767 would be interpreted as 3277

so this could just be the software trying to represent a data overflow as the max value of its range

...just an idea?

keep up the good work, gentlemen

[sr]

is "Strange Radiation" considered a real phenomena, even among the more open minded physicists?

i don't know - how open-minded are you?

...from Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole

(Georges Lochak, Leonid Urutskoev) p10:

"Typical traces are shown in Figure 7 [...] the traces are very unusual, and because of

that the hypothetical radiation was called a ‘strange’ one"

h t t p : / / pdfs.semanticscholar.o…4cabc92354ee692e9876e.pdf

[sr]

thanks Alan

interesting tie-in with Aspden's review of the Correa work reporting anomalous energy obtained using Abnormal Glow Discharge Tubes, attributed to inflow from the vacuum media

[sr]

Here, btw is the inspiration for working on this.

One of Bertrand Russell’s lesser-known pro-secular works is a 1951 piece for New York Times Magazine called “The Best Answer to Fanaticism: Liberalism.” In this, he wrote a “Liberal Decalogue,” what might be better called today a “Secular 10 Commandments”:

1. ...

a humbling and challenging set of principles - as good as a guide for a thoughtful and considerate life, as for scientific endeavour

before we each jump on some 'pet' principle or other, within in them, which we believe supports our own 'position', we would do well to realise that the canny Mr Russell formulated his Decalogue to ensure that all 10 principles apply equally to all of us, regardless of which 'side' we believe we represent

we still have as much to learn today in our own struggles for truth, as did society then

more power to your elbow, Alan - keep us on our toes!

(and thank you for sharing the Liberal Decalogue)

[sr]

24 hours subjected to high-intensity ultrasound in heavy water, using a heated US tank.

are Shermans watertight then?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

thank you for the update; your new plans sound like a good idea, given the lack of info re. LION 2 details - at least with these forthcoming experiments you know exactly what are the procedures, and what you hope to test.

bon chance!

[sr]

Update: Switched off the reactor today after 140 hours from start. No surprising effects seen, preliminary data analysis underway but at first glance it looks like a null result. More work to do on this though.

hello Alan

firstly, thanks for carefully undertaking this lengthy task and reporting back to us the results

are the LFH team disappointed/surprised/intrigued by these initial results?

has LION since made any comments about the results, or enquired about any of the experiment conditions?

thanks for reading

[sr]

BTW, it was'nae who gave you access to the forum. That is an Admin function, your thanks are probably due to barty.

'ansome is as 'ansome does!

danke schön, merci, thank you - i'm sure that there are plenty of people to whom we should be grateful for setting up and maintaining a busy site like this

kudos to Barty - and all other Admin and Mod colleagues for sharing your LENRverse with all of us ...saints and sinners alike! ;)

[sr]

thank you gentlemen

maybe we don't all have the skills or the resources to do the actual 'magic', but we can still make a useful contribution as the 'eyes and ears' of the wider LENR community - gather 'clues' from a wide sea of information, reported in papers and interviews, start to make connections, strengthen causal links, stimulate thinking, ideas, new experiments.

exciting times, my friends!

...They show we are a happy, dysfunctional, save the planet family

yes, but sadly i always see myself in the role of either Chevy Chase, or John Goodman ;)

[sr]

Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole

Georges Lochak, Fondation Louis de Broglie, Paris, France

Leonid Urutskoev, RECOM, Kurchatov Institute, Moscow, Russia

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.o…4cabc92354ee692e9876e.pdf

- studied the electric explosion of titanium foil in water

- pronounced distortion of the natural isotope composition of titanium

- 48 Ti [the parent atom] is not converted into one or two daughter isotopes of another chemical element or titanium,

as would be expected from the views of known nuclear physics. Instead, it decomposes into a spectrum of daughter elements

- data on the isotope shift were obtained independently on three types of mass spectrometers

- independent verification by our colleagues from Dubna (Kuznetsov’s group)

- we focus on the isotope shift in detail because it proves that low-energy nuclear reactions did, in fact occur

- A direct clue to the phenomenological model comes from the proportionality between the 48Ti isotope shift and the percentage of foreign chemical elements observed in the experiment.

- the model predicts that the addition of vanadium should yield the 57 Fe isotope. This result was actually obtained in experiments.

- the model including titanium, oxygen and hydrogen does not give any combinations with elements higher than zinc.

This is in line with the results presented in Fig. 3.

- if glycerol is added to the bidistilled water, the titanium 48-isotope shift increases.

- no neutrons are observed - neither [teams] observed any significant residual γ-activity in the samples

- experiments with other types of foils (Pb, Zr, Ta and so on) were carried out, and isotope shifts were again detected.

For example, the 208 Pb isotope is the parent atom for Pb.

- It is noteworthy that the tendency for transformation is usually found for even-even nuclei

- We drew the following conclusions from the numerical experiment:

- Contrary to the opinion of the majority of physicists, the possibility of low- energy transformation does not contradict the conservation laws.

- This process is collective in principle and can be simulated within the framework of processes based on weak interactions.

- Since weak interactions are characterized by small cross-sections, a catalyst is needed

- Monopole as a catalyst?

Experimental searches for the monopole started immediately after the transformation phenomenon had been found

- The traces are very unusual, and because of that the hypothetical radiation was called a ‘strange’ one.

- In Figure 8, a typical track created by an ion in a nuclear emulsion is shown for comparison.

Moreover, they are not continuous [compare Fig 7 with 'rabbit tracks' observed by MFMP in LION2, etc] ;

frequently they are followed by narrower traces, and traces of δ-electrons cannot be seen at all.

Such traces (hairs) are always observed when high-energy particles are absorbed

- To make sure that the traces are not related to some electromagnetic artifact, we installed detectors near the foil remnants only after the explosion.

- During 24 hours we were registering the traces which were indistinguishable from those, observed at the instant of electric pulse.

- Thus, we have confirmed the nuclear origin of the radiation being registered.

It should be noted that when the unit was subjected to a magnetic field [1], the traces in the nuclear emulsion changed. This is seen in the Figure 9.

- the particle which left the trace in the nuclear emulsion is charged, as nuclear emulsions are insensitive to neutrons.

-the particle cannot have electric charge, as otherwise it could not be able to pass through two meters of atmospheric air and two layers of black paper.

- the particle does not have high energy, as no delta-electrons are observed.

- the mechanism of the interaction between the particle and the photosensitive layer is not clear. Assuming the Coulomb mechanism, the absorbed energy estimated using the darkening area equals around 1 GeV.

[sr]