Nigel Appleton Member
  • Male
  • Member since Apr 2nd 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Nigel Appleton

I cannot for the life of me understand what the purpose of that "demonstration" was.

A dog and pony show with no canine or equine components whatsoever, very badly presented.

Nor can I understand how Rossi still has faithful believers.

But then I am constantly amazed by the mad things some people seem honestly to believe.

All Rossi need is one or two customers who will allow other people to see the kit in action and to examine the figures.

Whatever the method used, he will have to publicise successful use in the wild if he hopes to flood the world with alternative energy sources.

IMO, this isn't going to happen

Solar PV would be nowhere if it hadn't been demonstrated that it worked outside the development lab and in use by people who knew nothing of its theory of operation.

It is to be hoped that SOMEONE claiming to have LENR in operation will not be so paranoid/scared of losing control over IP. The whole point of IP is to be able to sell or license it and thereby spread it quickly and maximise revenue

Not even a kissing cousin. The devil is in the detail, nano-aluminium which they are using is a a very expensive product, probably $10k/tonne. especially when you add gallium (and possibly bismuth) to is as these guys must do. And when you have produced the very expensive hydrogen you have a difficult and expensive clean-up to do on the sludge, There are a few systems like this around, but with the hydrogen costing around $100/kilo they are only of interest to the military, who can just throw the crap over the nearest hedge, and need fuel 'at any cost'.

Thanks. Interesting.

But not as interesting as that which you seem to be getting on with! Good luck with that.

Very pleased to know that work is being done in the UK, and I hope you have sufficient backing.

Anything related to this? https://www.newscientist.com/a…on-demand-just-add-water/

He seems to be getting a modest budget to do what appears to be legitimate research. However, the concept of getting energy from molecular motion seems to violate the second law of thermodynamics so it's pretty improbable that it will perform as claimed and be a practical energy source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

Anyway, are you suggesting that high power production from LENR exists and is being repressed? It is hard to see how that would ever happen.

Reluctant as I am to question one of the Grand Old Men of this forum, could you explain precisely your objection?

Harvesting energy from vibrations induced by environmental heat seems to me to violate nothing. Heat pumps do it all the time; and it's not as if any great efficiency is being proposed.

Just harvesting energy in a novel way.

Still, I stand to be corrected.

Signor Rossi, and any scientist or engineer working with him, is very well aware of what would have to be done unequivocally to demonstrate anomalous heat production.

He and they have assiduously avoided doing any of those things. For years and years he and they have turned a deaf ear to all pleas for proper instrumentation used properly, for proper control/dummy runs, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

This last circus was not a "demonstration". It was just an entertainment. Those who invest in Signor Rossi's blague (whether cash or simply belief) are doomed to perpetual disappointment.

So it goes

An investor who cannot or will not use Google deserves to lose his/her shirt

There is a 4th alternative. Axil inhabits an impregnable silo of alternative reality, where copypasta from various fringe scientists becomes absolute truth and must be presented to the sheeple as absolute truth

This is common amongst those who dislike whatever mainstream science might indicate on a given subject.

Creationists are a prime example of this silo-dwelling

The unmitigated evil that the enemies of LENR bring to the world requires a unmitigated negative and maximal reaction to that evil; and that evil is just beginning to be marshaled.

Does being skeptical of the Rossi's claims make one "an enemy of LENR"? Am I evil?

Well, if it was anyone else suggesting that, I might take exception.

My old Gran used to say "the more florid the rhetoric, the less rational the speaker". Well, she would have done if she'd thought of it.

The last time I went to Dublin I was forced to start drinking Guinness at 4 a.m. There was more Guinness at breakfast in Dublin. The memories of the next couple of days are somewhat hazy, but I do know at times I eschewed the Guinness for Bushmills. The Irish are generous hosts, but have a peculiar idea of what constitutes a nutritious diet.

OK, so we have no idea what the actual pressure was in the system (I use the word loosely) at that point in the pipework. All speculation based on the figure of zero bar is fruitless.

Also what species of scientist or engineer would not have queried that set of readings and at least swapped out the sensor for an alternative? It may seem trivial, but it gives an idea of the general sloppiness (or worse) of the test protocol and the people running it.

Looking forward to the 24th. I shall just have returned from Dublin and will be full of the Good-natured Glow of Gallons of Guiness

While we're discussing history, was it ever determined whether the invariant pressure readings of 0 bar reported during the "1 year test" were

a) Zero bar gauge pressure

b) Zero bar absolute pressure

c) Readings given by a faulty or non-connected sensor

d) Something else.

Not that it matters; it's just something niggling at me.

TIA for any answers

Yes, stefan; see this thread. The testing Alan Fletcher and IH Fanboy collaborated on has shown that in the case of the ProMinent pump they acquired, the rate seen in testing has to my knowledge reached a maximum rate of 42.3 L/hr. That's clearly somewhat short of the 70 L/hr or so that has been mentioned, but the testing is not yet done.

I must say I stood back in wonder and confusion while all that was going on. To make such a meal of a relatively simple testing project....

Well, he did. He even offered to pay for getting the license back, but they denied. IH did not want to get rid of Rossi. On the contrary they absolutely wanted to keep him in tight leash silenced by NDA for as long as possible.

All this will be obvious to you when your tantrums ebb out.

As I remember it, the Rossi (and/or his supporters) CLAIMED there was a cash offer to get the IP back; but IH denied having had any such offer. I don't recall any evidence either way, but I don't remember the Rossi claiming this in any sworn deposition.

At the time, Rossi new about the E-Cat QX. Getting his IP and sales territory back was worth a lot more than 900 million. If he had won IH would have declared bankruptcy and had little money in the bank. He would never have got his 900 million + damages. I'm sure he grieved about the legal fees that he could not spend on R & D,

The "IP" is completely worthless, if you mean that silly patent.