jeff: E-Cat Replication Attempt

• Ecco sorry for my poor english sometimes..
    i would say PITTING CORROSION let's have a look on websites ..
    So it's helped by mixtures with chlorine as HCl.

Thanks for this idea. Are you suggesting that Parkhomov or Rossi took advantage of it? Or do you mean it could be useful in general for LENR experiments?

Also i have another advice to you, try to imagine both another mechanical process without electricity (no sparks ) which helps too..

Like ball milling the Ni powder?

However, as far I understand designing/building an efficient and safe ball mill is not as easy as it seems.

• Rossi as well as his replicators can explore the magnetic fields that are produced by the E-Cat by using the Faraday Effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Axil,

Thanks for the info on stainless steels. I did not know there so many different kinds. With regard to magnetism influencing LENR effects, I have not researched the possibility. Ferromagnetism is a collective phenomena involving domains that may span macroscopic distances at normal temperatures. As you stated at the end of your thread, the temperature at which the Parkhomov replication is to have occurred exceeds the Curie temperature of magnetic materials, and above Tc ferromagnetic materials become paramagnetic. It would be useful to calculate the effect of feasibly obtainable magnetic fields and field gradients on ensembles of hydrogen nuclei to determine how much energy could be transferred. Then compare that value to the thermal energy (<0.1 eV).

Jeff

• In order for high dV/dt or high DI/dt to have an effect on LENR reactions one would need to demonstrate that one of two conditions occurs. The first possibility is that high dV/dt generates electromagnetic fields of a frequency that can couple to the phonon spectrum. This statement assumes that the NAE operates via tunneling through the Coulomb barrier by means of localized concentration of energy in a few H nuclei oscillating at phonon wavelengths. For two systems to efficiently transfer energy between them they must have similar wavelengths and corresponding eigenmodes. Phonon frequencies are in the hundreds of THz, while the highest edge harmonics for chopped AC are in the Mhz range. So I don't see any mechanism for direct transfer of energy. The second possibility is that external EM fields are strong enough to alter the morphology of an LENR system. This might be possible with sufficiently strong EM fields, but I have not looked at the possibility. If other LENr theories are assumed the same requirements will hold: external EM energy must be efficiently coupled into the LENR mechanism.

Jeff

• This is well written and beautiful. As you say, what do you think is missing? The setup is very well done. Maybe I am missing the measurements.
    Your file is referencing some external information. But I have not followed your replication. But well done.

• @jeff,

Your equipment is o.k. But that isn't the most important thing. Replicating cold fusion by imitating others – except Fleissmann and Pons – is a bit tricky when the others have no idea what's going on in the cold fusion process.

I have not so much trust in the attempts of Rossi. I cannot sea much reliable physics. Because the Coulomb force of a H-ion can only decrease by the transfer of a compact high energy electromagnetic wave pattern. Heating up the hydride cannot force this because it is spreading the low energy electromagnetic waves all over the material. The only source of compact high energy electromagnetic wave patterns is the presence of free electrons within the metal lattice. Without H-atoms there are about 2% free electrons in relation to the number of atoms within the metal lattice. Maybe you can get 4% and a bit more when you have a beta-phase hydride (every metal atom has a hydrogen counterpart) and a current that flows through the hydride. That's just what Fleissmann and Pons did.

Anyway, Fleissmann and Pons had no control over the cold fusion process. That's because the resulting velocity of all the free electrons by an electric current is about 1 mm/s. However, the velocity of one single free electron is about 100.000 m/s and more. In other words, the free electrons move without any restriction in all the directions but the total amount is drifting slowly through the metal lattice. By the way, a free electron is an electromagnetic wave pattern.

So it is simple to understand why Fleissmann and Pons couldn't control the process. The exceptional heat was the result of probability. A number of free electrons came together and formed “by accident” locally a compact electromagnetic wave pattern that envelopes some enclosed H-ions.

So when you want to control the cold fusion process, you have to create a beta-phase hydride first. Thereafter you must force the free electrons to a state of very high density. The metal lattice hydride is already a creation of high density free electrons, but you have to concentrate these free electrons further more. You can do this with the help of a direct current through the lattice and a constriction within the metal lattice (the palladium cathode of Fleismann and Pons was a bit a constriction because of all the free electrons around in the conductive liquid).

Nevertheless, there is may be a better method. Applying a high frequency alternating current to the metal lattice will force most of the free electrons to the surface area of the material (see Wikipedia: skin-effect).

• If Professor Focardi's experiemtn worked and Rossi's got it and Parkhomov replicated, then also Brillouin has got it, since they have the same core: Hydrogen and Nickel.

Brillouin is using an electronic pulse system they call Q-pulse

Mckubre stated on Brillouin:
    "The fact that the Q pulse input is capable of triggering the excess power on and off is also highly significant.”

SO there's probably the remaining secret: Electrical stimulation of probably some (very?) high frequency pulse.

• The negative results mean only two things:
    1) Parkhomov never got excess heat.
    2) He is holding some critical information.

I'm not sure whether Parkhomov got excess heat or not; it is possible he did not. Another possibility is that he did but was doing something he was unaware of. An example of this would be using nickel with some important impurity. One can think of other things.

• Very nice setup Jeff. May I suggest you use LIAlH4 in your fuel mix? Perhaps as this compound vaporizes, it releases the hydrogen that is instrumental in the excess heat reaction. The H2-Ni mix needs to be at high pressure and temperature. You already have the high temperature. In your rig, if the alumina tube is properly sealed, maybe the high pressure will come from the out-gassing of the hydrogen at temperature? We have a different test setup but concluded that we can't use LiAlH4 as it vaporized at temperature and coated everything inside the reactor.

• In his earlier experiments he likely heated his reactor to much significantly internal temperatures than most people played with. I remember about 1275 °C measured with a K-type termocouple cemented on the reactor tube surface. At those temperatures other unexpected effects might start being relevant, for instance nickel diffusion into the alumina/mullite tube, the resistivity of the ceramic tube decreasing significantly, etc. If pressure decreases enough, perhaps metallic evaporation might even start having a role to some extent.

At this stage I'd be inclined to think that catalytic reactions within the nickel powder itself can be ruled out, as at these temperatures the powder would not be able to support the formation of nano/sub-micro structures often deemed critical in LENR experiments by other researchers performed at much lower ones.

Ultimately, if @Alexander Parkhomov himself could offer some help it would be ideal. He occasionally logs up to LENR-Forum but he's not posted in a good while.
    I remember that a group at the Moskow university replicated his experiment successfully (with his assistance?).

• @jeff
    Very, very nice setup. I would like to learn more about your calorimetry method as I have found water calorimetry is a big pain for many reasons.

I have a question for you about the Lithium you are using. Is this bulk Lithium or Lithium powder? I have found it very difficult to get bulk Lithium to mix with the Nickel powder because of its high surface tension. The Lithium tends to hug the walls of the reactor (where it will destroy the reactor if it is alumina) and the Nickel powder migrates to the center of the reactor. If you are using bulk Lithium then I would be surprised if it is coating the Ni powder which I assume is desired. This is one reason why LiAlH4 is a convenient Lithium delivery method.

• Here is something to consider.

1. Brilliouin is using electrical stimulation on their reactor, ref the Q pulse....

2. Now also Swartz have discovered something interesting:
    "Astonishingly, it has now been discovered that high intensity, dynamic, repeatedly fraction- ated, magnetic fields have an incremental major, significant and unique, complex, metachronous amplification effect on the preloaded NANOR⃝R -type LANR device"

"H-field pulse sequence was delivered (dH/dt ∼1.5 T with 0.1 ms rise time × 1000–5000 pulse"

Ref.

http://www.iscmns.org/CMNS/JCMNS-Vol15.pdf#page=73

3. Rossi is using a "mouse". Pretty sure it's some kind of electromagnetic stimulation....

• The Li is solid, metallic and is stored under mineral oil. Even under oil it develops a black oxide coating. However, the oxide layer is thin and is easily scraped off prior to loading the Li into the SS capsule.

Jeff

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.