Media/News/Video Library-No discussions please

• 107 billion $ for hydrogen infrastructure Japan in the next 15 yrs..

ITER is not the only folly..

Japan earmarks $107 billion for developing hydrogen energy to cut emissions, stabilize supplies
    Japan's government on Tuesday adopted a revision to the country's plans to use more hydrogen as fuel as part of the effort to reduce carbon emissions.
    techxplore.com

"Some experts say strategies like commercializing the use of hydrogen and ammonia mainly cater to big business interests and major industries that are heavily invested in fossil fuel-based technologies and have power over the government policies

• Cold Fusion mentioned in "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S02E03"

"In Kirk’s timeline, Romulans destroy an experimental cold-fusion reactor, wiping out Toronto. In La’an’s, none of this happens. Time to save the reactor!"

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Recap: Back From the Future
    La’an gets a spotlight episode with a neat time-travel story mixed with fish-out-of-water comedy.
    www.vulture.com

Spoiler:

They use an old watch with phosphor and crack the glas to use it as a Tritium detector :)

• Cold fusion is making a scientific comeback

This is the same old garbage they have published many times in the past. I cannot post a message at the website without registering, so I sent my standard response to the author:

[email protected]

You wrote: "Fleischmann and Pons’ fatal flaw—that their results could not be replicated . . ." That is incorrect. Within a year Fleischmann and Pons were replicated in 92 major laboratories, listed here:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/WillFGgroupsrepo.pdf

By the mid-1990s, over 180 laboratories reported replications. These replications were published in mainstream, peer-reviewed journals. I suggest you review this literature before commenting on this subject. See:

https://lenr-canr.org/

• In recent years, average downloads per month were lowest in June 2022, at 6,117. This year, the average per month is 10,412. Perhaps this indicates increased interest in the field? It could be because of the DoE announcements. More people have looked at the News section lately, where the DoE announcements are listed. I think the increase mainly comes from people at various institutions downloading the entire library.

See:

LENR-CANR.org Total Downloads

Spreadsheet:

LENR-CANR Downloads
    Sheet1 Month,Downloads,Cumulative downloads 10/2002,396,396 11/2002,1,302,1,698 12/2002,2,417,4,115 01/2003,2,798,6,913 02/2003,3,127,10,040…
    docs.google.com

News:

News

• This was in the Anthropocene Institute newsletter. Maybe the Anthropocene Institute and the Breakthrough Institute are the same thing? See:

The Breakthrough Institute

Fusion Runs Hot and Cold

How the academy has gotten cold fusion wrong for over three decades

Jonah Messinger

Fusion Runs Hot and Cold
    The Breakthrough Institute is an environmental research center based in Berkeley, California. Our research focuses on identifying and promoting technological…
    thebreakthrough.org

• We had already highlighted JonahMessinger ’s article, Shane D. posted it when it became available. AFAIK there’s no formal relationship but the Anthropocene Institute has decided already to focus on LENR as part of their push for nuclear energy as the only true way to achieve Net Zero, and that is why the article was mentioned in the Anthropocene institute newsletter.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Jonah Messinger - the author - is a member of our forum, and visited my lab earlier this year. A US citizen he proposed doing a LENR-based PhD at the Cavendish Lab, but is now doing something less controversial.

The Breakthrough Institute is an environmental research center based in Oakland, California. Our research focuses on identifying and promoting technological solutions to environmental problems.

and human development challenges in three areas: energy, The y

A funders list, shows many sources of income, but not Anthropocene. (link) About Landing

• New version of the non official yet very useful book of abstracts compiled voluntarily by readers of New Energy Times. Updated with the official schedule and at least one new abstract that called my attention, as is it a rebuttal of an early dismissal of Fleischmann’s and Pons data by APS member Nathan Lewis.

https://newenergytimes.com/v2/conferences/2023/ICCF25/ICCF-25-Book-of-Abstracts-2023.07.04.pdf

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• New Paper about succesful replication of Constantan-Deuterium excess heat with COP>3,5 published as a PrePrint by Dimiter Alexandrov.

He also reports higher temperature runs that resulted in explosive bursts of heat release with sudden release of estimated 3K+ Watts. These bursts caused the copper on the constantan to directly evaporate (not melt, so the estimate of the energy released is conservative) and leaving a fine copper residue over the insulators and dielectrics.

Ah, one can feel back in the good old days of succesful reports of Nickel Hydrogen like the ones of Piantelli and Focardi with results like these.

But in this case, Helium is also detected and correlated with the excess energy release. The author does a reasonable effort to rule out chemical / electrical origin. Thermometry is done by optical means, but with reasonable calibration and Nitrogen as Control.

Entering the Hot Case of Cold Nuclear Fusion

Abstract

It is shown in the paper that significant energy release for short time can be achieved in replicable experiments involving interaction of deuterium gas with constantan specimen. The experiments were carried out in a gas chamber where the injected deuterium gas having room temperature interacted with constantan wire heated by externally applied voltage: i) Many replicable experiments were performed at initial temperatures of the constantan wires in range 666C – 681C. The temperatures of the constantan wires began increase at ~8 seconds after the beginning of injection of the deuterium gas and additional increases with 358C – 382C for different experiments were reached at ~30 seconds. The released excess power was in range 183W – 209W and the density of the released excess power was in range ~114W/g – 130W/g. Helium release was observed. ii) Replicable experiments were performed at initial temperature 950C of the constantan wires. In all experiments, explosive evaporations of the wires occurred. The released excess power was greater than 3400W and the density of this power was at least 2280 W/g. The following conclusion can be done - the observed released power was of nuclear origin and it was not of either electrical or chemical origin.

Keywords: nuclear fusion, deuterium, constantan, Energy, helium

Suggested Citation:

Alexandrov, Dimiter, Entering the Hot Case of Cold Nuclear Fusion. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=4469848 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4469848

• SearchMe Only a very distant relationship via the fact that both are 'Contact Potential Devices'. Both rely on ions present in the gas between electrodes, and disparities between the work functions of Anode and Cathode.

As you will see at ICCF-25, the LEC is becoming more sophisticated than this.

• And the story is only a mere 13 years after this one:

Electricity collected from the air could become the newest alternative energy source
    Imagine devices that capture electricity from the air -- much like solar cells capture sunlight -- and using them to light a house or recharge an electric car.…
    www.sciencedaily.com

Also see paper (open access): https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/la102494k

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• ‘Your lab burned down. Get moving’

A shock call early in the morning from the dean of the faculty of chemistry alerted researchers at the University of Vienna that something terrible had happened. No one was hurt, and team spirit helped their group to rise from the ashes — with a brand new fully furnished and equipped lab. Nevertheless, there were hard lessons to be learnt. “For the cost of a new laptop, or an improved fire warning system, around €1.4-million-worth of damage might have been avoided,” they write.

Nature Chemistry | 14 min read

• This was in the Anthropocene Institute newsletter. Maybe the Anthropocene Institute and the Breakthrough Institute are the same thing? See:

The Breakthrough Institute

Fusion Runs Hot and Cold

How the academy has gotten cold fusion wrong for over three decades

Jonah Messinger

https://thebreakthrough.org/is…/fusion-runs-hot-and-cold

Thanks for posting the article on the forum, Jed. Thee Anthropocene Institute and the Breakthrough Institute are separate organizations but I am affiliated with both so Anthropocene kindly shared it on their newsletter. Hope you liked the piece. I will try to write more in coming months as time allows.

• Jonah Messinger - the author - is a member of our forum, and visited my lab earlier this year. A US citizen he proposed doing a LENR-based PhD at the Cavendish Lab, but is now doing something less controversial.

The Breakthrough Institute is an environmental research center based in Oakland, California. Our research focuses on identifying and promoting technological solutions to environmental problems.

and human development challenges in three areas: energy, The y

A funders list, shows many sources of income, but not Anthropocene. (link) About Landing

Hi Alan, yes and it was a great visit! I am indeed doing more conventional work for my PhD at Cambridge but I am very happy to be on the MIT research team for the ARPA-E LENR program so still very much active in the LENR research space.

• While we may not agree with every line of the article, I think our community would be served well to respond positively to this type of coverage. It represents a significant shift that an outlet such as Popular Science would give LENR any positive coverage at all. It is of course worth providing some constructive criticism, but here we have a young journalist who took an interest in LENR and got his editor to publish this piece. I think we should be positive and especially so in our interactions with him and other journalists that may write about LENR moving forward.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.