FP's experiments discussion

• I have tried not to be insulting and attempted to summarize what is said as fairly as possible. Nevertheless, the arrogance of the replies is clear.
    For example, Cude claims I do not know what a "volt" is. I quote Wikipedia below. Note the term electromagnetic FORCE. This is the nature of the phenomenon we call a volt, which is measured in different ways. Initially, it was measured as the FORCE exerted between two plates on which the same charge was applied. The amount of charge determines the amount of FORCE. I suggest Cude and the others refrain from personal comments especially since they frequently have no idea what they are talking about.

The temperature is a measure of the energy contained in a material using the heat capacity to store the energy. It is also related to the amount of vibration experienced by the atoms. Temperature and voltage are not related or equal in any way, which was the point I tried to get across.

As Eric points out, fractofusion and LENR are not related in any way. Fractofusion produces the nuclear products produced by hot fusion. In contrast, LENR does not produce these nuclear products or involve the same mechanism. Fractofusion is easy to trigger. LENR is not easy to cause.

As for the evidence describing LENR, it ranges from the trivial to as close to certainty as we get in science. The skeptics seem to focus on the trivial end of the spectrum while the believers concentration on what is very certain. The important question is ,"Is LENR a real phenomenon or not"? This question has a clear black or white answer. The skeptic seem to say, "it may be true or it may not, we simply do not know, but we will act as if it does not exist while looking for all the reasons we can imagine to support this conclusion". In contrast, I assembled all known information in two books, tested the behavior in the lab and concluded that LENR is real. This experience seems to have no importance to the skeptics. My effort now is to explain how it works. This goal is too far removed from how the skeptics think to allow effective communication.

I find a difference between teaching in a class room and on the internet. In the classroom, arrogance would get the student kicked out of class and lack of doing any serious thinking or home work would fail the student. No such incentive to learn is present on the internet. Consequently, very little learning takes place. Simple asking the same questions that have been answered already and then complaining about the lack of answers is not learning.

"The volt (symbol: V) is the derived unit for electric potential, electric potential difference (voltage), and electromotive force.[4] The volt is named in honor of the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta (1745–1827), who invented the voltaic pile, possibly the first chemical battery."

• Not since the age of the great christian persecutions by the Romans on the blood soaked sands of the coliseum has a group of sainted men been exposed to such ridicule, humiliation and belittlement. As a Johnny come lately, Rossi knew what he was getting into, he saw the rough treatment that was heaped upon these first long suffering LENR heros, and he prepared himself for the abuse rendered by the snakes and clowns. But the others who were first, who broke the ground and kept the faith were fully exposed, those who placed the fate of all mankind about their own welfare and prospects, we own these men the utmost in respect and devotion, we must insure that their accomplishments, inherent goodness, and sacrifice are recognized to the latest generation and shall not perish from the memories of all humankind.

• Official Post

Dear Donor,

During ICCF-17 in South Korea, shortly following the sad death of Dr. Martin Fleischmann, it became abundantly clear to a group of fresh attendees that the old approach to science, combined with the ostracisation of the great minds that had worked in the face of ridicule, was not delivering on the promise of of what we immediately called, “The New Fire”.

It also was clear that there was something to investigate and we were morally bound to do it.

We said that people would not believe, until they could experience it as if they were doing themselves and so the idea of Live Open Science was born. That was not enough, it had to be an effort that was free from commercial or government interests and that result and so it had to be conducted by the people, for the people. Our journey was made possible by the courage of Francesco Celani and we thank him profusely.

Your donations played a critical role in realising this vision, but you know that, what we know you will want to hear is what we have to share tomorrow.

We have been running and analysing an experiment live over the past Month. First for us in this experiment were:

- Parkhomov Baking of Ni(correctly done)

- Pre Hydrogenation of Ni

- Proper baking out of cell under vacuum

- Parkhomov pressure

- Piantelli de-oxygenation

- Piantelli 'loading' + proper dwell times

- Piantelli capture analogue

- Use of free Lithium

- Use of calibrated NaI

- Cycles attempting to create nano Ni distillates (inspired by “Bang!” discovery of dissolved Ni)

- Long Run

You can see that there are steps in there that came about only because of activities that were made possible by donations. The critical visits to Piantelli and Parkhomov.

Around the beginning of the month we saw what appeared to be up to a COP of 1.2, not earth shattering, but sustained and robust and in line with both observations by others and the Lugano report when adjusted for correct emissivity. Over the next weeks we tried various bookend calibrations which supported this finding.

We have said that only two paths would satisfy us:

Statistically significant Isotopic or elemental shifts from Fuel to Ash
    Statistically significant emissions commensurate, correlating, or anti correlating to excess heat
    We are happy to tell you that we believe we have satisfied our condition 2, yet of course we’d like to replicate ourselves. Actually, though, it goes much further than that. What we will share is that the way in which we discovered it and the journey of analysis that makes it virtually impossible to say that Rossi does not have what he claims. It also shows that, whilst he may have been optimistic in how fast this would play out, he has been telling the truth, quite openly for years. Not only that, nature itself has been telling the same story and it told us too.

By the 16/02/2016 we had given up trying to destroy the *GlowStick* 5.2, part of a long lineage of []=[lexicon]Project Dog Bone[/lexicon]=[] experiments. After the reactor was turned off, Alan shared the remainder of the data files from the NaI scintillator kindly donated by a project follower called Stephen (Thankyou Stephen, really).

Project follower and open science legend, Ecco, first took a look at the data and found some anomalies - one SO striking that we thought there had been an equipment failure. We did not know the time that the anomalies occurred and had to wait until Alan woke to explain the time stamps so we could correlate it with the thermal and power data published live to HUGNet (Thankyou Ryan and Paul Hunt).

To our extreme surprise, the onset of excess heat followed the massive anomaly in emissions and the minor anomalies were during and only during excess heat.

This led us on a path of discovery, the sequence of which explains:

The massive count signal discovered by Francesco Celani during Rossi’s first public demo
    How Rossi knew his reactor had started
    How the E-Cat generates excess heat
    How it self sustains
    How it can scale easily
    That it is safe
    It also showed us how replicators can know they have succeeded in triggering the New Fire and how to enhance the excess heat.

Subsequent to this, we found out Rossi had travelled the same design journey and had publicly shared it in the past.

The irony is - this was all being conducted live in the open, including discussions and graphing, whilst people were distracted with news of the end of the 1MW 1 year test. Same day…

In the past week we have been checking, cross checking to verify and this morning we cleared our last serious doubt, again live, with shared data. Because this is already in the open we want people to know so that they can start replicating based on what works, moreover, the insight will allow people to immediately start improving on our results.

Thank you for making this possible

We did it

We lit the New Fire Together!

• Storms wrote:

For example, Cude claims I do not know what a "volt" is. I quote Wikipedia below. Note the term electromagnetic FORCE.

With all due respect Dr Storms, if you think a voltage is a force, you don't know what voltage is. As I suspected, it is the term "electromotive force" (not electromagnetic force, by the way) that confused you, as it does many first year students. But I already said it's a misnomer.

For example, in Cutnell & Johnson's first year text, they write "The word "force" appears in this context for historical reasons, even though it is incorrect. As we have seen ... electric potential [voltage] is energy per unit charge, which is not force."

Hecht, in his excellent first year text writes: "A potential difference... is an 'electromotive force', or emf, although that's a misnomer -- it's not a force at all."

Some texts, like Knight, Jones and Field avoid the confusion by not writing the word out at all, and simply defining "emf".

So, no, it's not a force, it's an energy per unit charge, or alternatively, its (negative) gradient is an electric field.

Initially, it was measured as the FORCE exerted between two plates on which the same charge was applied. The amount of charge determines the amount of FORCE.

But the force measurement does not give the voltage without knowing the charge and the plate separation.

I can measure distance with a stop-watch if I know my speed, but that doesn't mean the distance is time.

We measure mass by measuring the force of gravity, but that doesn't mean mass is force.

And current is measured in an analog meter by the force (deflection) on a needle, but that doesn't mean current is a force.

The elementary error you made was quite surprising, but your attempt to save face by digging in your heels surely has the opposite result, at least for anyone who has learned a little electricity and magnetism.

• Storms wrote:

The temperature is a measure of the energy contained in a material using the heat capacity to store the energy.

That's a clumsy way to put it. (Absolute) temperature is proportional the the average kinetic energy of the constituents of an ensemble. For a monatomic ideal gas, for example, <KE> = 3/2 kT

Temperature and voltage are not related or equal in any way, which was the point I tried to get across.

Sure they are, in the right context, and the context the statement appeared in was the right context.

A temperature defines an average kinetic energy. And a voltage determines the kinetic energy of a charged particle accelerated across it.

The temperature normally given for the core of the sun is 15 million K, corresponding to an average energy of about 2 keV.

The energy of a singly charged particle accelerated through 10 kV is 10 keV, corresponding to a temperature of about 80 million K, so the presence of a 10 kV potential difference, means particles could attain an energy higher than in the core of the sun.

I'm not sure why you objected to that. It's entirely consistent with what you said after, that fusion in this context is ordinary hot fusion.

• Storms wrote:

As for the evidence describing LENR, it ranges from the trivial to as close to certainty as we get in science.

You lose credibility when you make statements so obviously wrong. You may be completely convinced, but most of the world isn't, including two DOE panels that examined the best evidence.

On the other hand, a demonstration of the Meisner effect in 1987 convinced essentially everyone that HTSC was real. So, that evidence is manifestly *better*.

And surely you agree that a completely isolated device that produced 10 kW of power without input, and after a month of operation showed helium at commensurate levels with the heat corresponding to orders of magnitude above background levels, would represent much better evidence, and that it would succeed at convincing a great many skeptics. Therefore, it's easy to conceive of better evidence.

Moreover, the MFMP only exist because they are (were) certain that much better evidence could be found and used to convince the world that LENR is real.

The skeptics seem to focus on the trivial end of the spectrum while the believers concentration on what is very certain.

I don't know what you're talking about. The discussions here have been about the same evidence.

The important question is ,"Is LENR a real phenomenon or not"? This question has a clear black or white answer. The skeptic seem to say, "it may be true or it may not, we simply do not know, but we will act as if it does not exist while looking for all the reasons we can imagine to support this conclusion".

I guess it's necessary for you to mischaracterize the skeptical view so it's easier for you to rationalize your continued belief.

Yes, skeptics are not certain, but as Feynman says scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty....none absolutely certain.

But, they contend that the erratic and marginal nature of the evidence, and the wide variety of not always consistent observations, can be much more plausibly attributed to artifacts and confirmation bias, than to a variety of completely unprecedented nuclear reactions, many radiationless, and that (like the ether of the 19th century) contrive to prevent discovery of their nature.

In contrast, I assembled all known information in two books, tested the behavior in the lab and concluded that LENR is real. This experience seems to have no importance to the skeptics.

You have described the observations that led to your conclusions, or if you're a good scientist, you should have, and your description of those observations fails to convince other scientists.

Blondlott tested N-rays in the lab and concluded they were real, but he was wrong. You should allow for the possibility that you might be wrong too.

You did remind me of a question for Thomas though. Did you (Thomas) use the paper by Manara, Keller, et al that showed the alumina emissivity as a function of temp? It is clearly a non-Plankian emitter. I would think that would make the use of the Optris very questionable.

It is questionable. The emissivity if a function of temperature and wavelength. At the IR wavelengths used by the camera (7-13u) the material looks like a black body and things vary very little with temperature (there is some change but it is very small).

Unfortunately the testers did not understand the difference between band and total emissivity and so vastly over-estimated the temperature. Obviously alumina is not a grey body and at the temperatures used the emissivity at higher optical frequencies drops sharply, as does total emissivity.

Worse, at those higher frequencies alumina is translucent and therefore you cannot safely estimate power out from an alumina rod with internal heating using total emissivity, which will only exactly apply when the entire rod is the same temperature and also thick enough that what is behind it does not matter (there is a paper somewhere showing dramatically different emissivity values in different cases).

So while (as corrected by me) the temperature readings are pretty safe, the corresponding radiated power analysis is highly unsafe.

• Quote from Ed

For example, Cude claims I do not know what a "volt" is. I quote Wikipedia below. Note the term electromagnetic FORCE. This is the nature of the phenomenon we call a volt, which is measured in different ways. Initially, it was measured as the FORCE exerted between two plates on which the same charge was applied. The amount of charge determines the amount of FORCE. I suggest Cude and the others refrain from personal comments especially since they frequently have no idea what they are talking about.

This is absurd. It sounds from the above as though you don't know the physical definition of voltage! What Josh (and I) have written is precisely correct and any person on this site with high school physics (LENR believer or no) can validate this.

What you said was at best misleading, as I pointed out. Your defence of it now would seem to indicate that you still don't understand voltage and are just wrong.

Voltage is not force for two reasons. One, forgivable, is that the force arising depends on the charge. More charge means more force. I can see from your restatement that you understand this. Good. The other, more serious and unforgiveable, is that the force on a charge varies with the electric field, which is voltage/distance, not the voltage. A given voltage may give rise to a very large force over a short separation, or a very small force over a long separation.

Misunderstanding the effect of integration over distance in this way is a serious error. I'm still pretty sure that you don't really think this. But in that case your lack of correction here must come from some inability to reflect on criticism, or some inability to publicly admit mistakes. Surely that is non-optimal in any field? Making mistakes is perfectly OK, we all do it. Not being able to reflect on criticism and acknowledge mistakes is something else.

• Quote from Shanne said quoting MFMP

In the past week we have been checking, cross checking to verify and this morning we cleared our last serious doubt, again live, with shared data. Because this is already in the open we want people to know so that they can start replicating based on what works, moreover, the insight will allow people to immediately start improving on our results.

I'll look at this with interest. Bob et al at MFMP clearly think that they have proved the existence of anomalous heat in their experiments beyond doubt. It would be great for science were that true. I'm willing to bet here that the chance of them having made some error (perhaps even a systematic error!) that has not yet been detected is much much higher than the chance that they do have this anomalous heat.

There is some middle way here. They may (it would be interesting if they had) have discovered some chemical anomaly that delivers unexpectedly high chemical levels of heat. I'm writing all this not having looked at their results so I don't know over what time period they have measured significant excess power.

I'm sorry they are making these grandiose claims. It shows a lack of proper caution and while they have imperatives to get funding, and will be naturally excited when they think they have discovered something, they are naive and don't I can see yet realise the way mistakes can be made.

The other good thing about this is that they will get funding, I expect, and they will be able to investigate the matter thoroughly. Any anomaly will in the end be understood. Should it prove nuclear Josh, I and I guess Kirk (not sure of his view on the broader question) will be very highly surprised, but happy. I just hope it is an interesting enough anomaly (maybe unusual chemical heat) that MFMP don't end up with too much egg on their faces. But it could easily be some experimental issue.

I'm writing all this not having looked at their results :rolleyes:

Why even bother? I mean, it's not going to change your mind.

This 'hits the nail on the head' perfectly, as far as I'm concerned, and no amount of long winded sophistry will change it.

Also:

7. The craters found on electrodes were created by a multi-headed mythical creature.

• colwyn repeated (as a caricature of skeptics' beliefs):

On the other hand, advocates seem to argue:

1. The claimed excess energy results from an unspecified and completely unprecedented radiationless nuclear reaction, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

2. The detected helium results from an unspecified and completely unprecedented radiationless nuclear reaction, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

3. The detected tritium results from a different unspecified and completely unprecedented nuclear reaction, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

4. The transmutation products result from a wide variety of unspecified and completely unprecedented radiationless nuclear reaction that always begin and end on common stable isotopes, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

5. The detected radiation results from unspecified and completely unprecedented nuclear reactions, that do not produce any recognizable patterns, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

6. Observations that cannot be explained using these conclusions must result from other unspecified and completely unprecedented nuclear reaction, contrary to the robust predictions of nuclear science as understood from a century of experimental evidence.

----

The wide variety of observations is intended to make artifacts and errors seem implausible as explanations, but in fact it makes nuclear explanations far more implausible. The observations can't be explained by a single nuclear reaction, but requires dozens of unprecedented and inconceivable nuclear reactions, and unprecedented mechanisms to convert nuclear energy to heat. The different experiments have sensitivities and specificities that range by factors of millions or even billions, and it's completely implausible that the corresponding intensities of nuclear manifestations would similarly vary, keeping all the observations near the detection or noise limit. On the other hand, that is exactly what one would expect if the observations are the result of artifacts and confirmation bias.

• You missed out number 7.

Joshua said (as a caricature of skeptics' beliefs):

Beta-minus bremsstrahlung, genius?

Why even bother?

Because I will be better informed, and it will be interesting

I mean, it's not going to change your mind.

You are making assumptions. I don't know how it will change my mind.

Maybe what you mean is this. There is no single experiment MFMP could do that would alone make me think nuclear reactions were likely as an explanation for any anomalies. But they might make me think - hey here is a reproducible experiment that shows a clear anomaly. I don't think that at the moment - so it would change my mind.

and with further investigation of said anomaly I could be persuaded it most likely indicated something nuclear was going on - though it would need quite a bit of additional work. As long as MFMP maintain openness to criticism, the more interesting the results the more criticism they will get. If they answer this their results will become clearer.

MFMP was formed to bring clarity to LENR. To identify one simple experiment that gave unequivocal evidence for the phenomenon that anyone could repeat.And *this* is supposed to be that? They haven’t even repeated, let alone anyone else.The evidence for excess heat is as obscure and prone to artifacts and error as any ever claimed.

Josh, you are being a bit hard on these guys. they are amateurs. Personally, if they remain open to criticism and reflection they will be one up on most LENR scientists, amateur though they may be.

I agree their announcement was premature - but it was only to funders, not quite public (and I hope publicly they do not repeat it yet). Anyway they still have much to learn about the dangers of rushing to judgement.

I don't knock them for having judgement different from mine or yours. If they had our judgement they would not be doing the work in the first place.

Tom

• Can somebody comment this: ?

What MFMP claims to be a new, - a now public setup -, can be read in far more detail in the following public Paper (2013).

Proceedings of the 14th Meeting of Japan CF Research Society, JCF14
    December 7 - 8, 2013 Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan

Study on Anomalous Heat Evolution from H-Ni Nanoparticle System at Elevated Temperature with Mass-Flow Calorimetry
    A. Kitamura#1,2, A. Takahashi1,3, R. Seto1, Y. Fujita1, A. Taniike2, Y. Furuyama2
    1 Technova Inc., Tokyo 1000011, Japan 2 Graduate School of Maritime Sciences, Kobe University, Kobe 6580022, Japan, 3 Osaka University, Suita 5650871, Japan # [email protected]

• Paradigmnoia wrote: "As far as the camera can see, the spectrum for alumina looks very much Planckian."

This is what I am not following in relation to the emmission spectrum from alumina at
    several temperatures shown in Figure 5 of J. Manara, et al[*]. In the 7.5-13 micron region,
    I compute the blackbody emission to be a very smooth decreasing function (exponential) at
    whatever temperature. No structure to speak of.

On the other hand, the alumina emmission spectrum in that range shows a nearly flat emission
    from ~8 microns up to just past the Christiansen wavelength (cited as 9.8 microns), whereupon
    it starts dropping off rapidly to a value ~50% lower by ~11.5 microns. Then it increases slightly
    up to 13 microns, the increase being lesser at higher temps because the dip at 11.5 isn't as deep
    as T goes up.

I am not trying to reopen any discussion with my question. I am not skilled in this area and
    I'm just trying to understand, so am I comparing apples and oranges, or do you have a
    different definition of 'very much'? I actually see very little resemblance. The steep drop
    at 11.5 microns is very 'un-Plankian' to me.

(FYI - I have included the data I am using from the ref below.)

* J. Manara, M. Keller, D. Kraus, M. Arduini-Schuster, "DETERMINING THE TRANSMITTANCE AND
    EMITTANCE OF TRANSPARENT AND SEMITRANSPARENT MATERIALS AT ELEVATED TEMPERATURES", 5th
    European Thermal-Sciences Conference, The Netherlands, 2008

Hand digitized alumina emmission spectrum from Fig. 5 of ref. at 1050K

Microns 'normal emittance'
    4 0
    4.5 0.02
    5 0.1
    5.5 0.23
    6 0.38
    6.5 0.64
    7 0.86
    7.5 0.94
    8 0.95
    8.5 0.95
    9 0.95
    9.5 0.95
    10 0.95
    10.5 0.93
    11 0.68
    11.5 0.42
    12 0.4
    12.5 0.43
    13 0.46
    13.5 0.43
    14 0.42
    14.5 0.38
    15 0.3
    15.5 0.35
    16 0.35
    16.5 0.12
    17 0.15
    17.5 0.4
    18 0.54

• Ed wrote: "The skeptics seem to focus on the trivial end of the spectrum while the believers concentration on what is very certain."

Please supply us with a (preferable) or a few references (related, not for totally independent experimental configurations) that demonstrate "what is very certain". Thank you.

Can somebody comment this: ?What MFMP claims to be a new, - a now public setup -, can be read in far more detail in the following public Paper (2013).

MFMP seen excited about correlations between excess heat and (gamma?) emmission. This experiment describes only excess heat.

In both cases, (this experiment and MFMP) the evidence for extraordinary excess heat is not strong. MFMP take this evidence combined with emission correlations and use that as the basis of their strong claim.

I don't endorse this. There are very many artifacts for emissions, especially at low levels. But I'm not commenting on the MFMP stuff in detail till I've had time to read and consider it. it is raw data, not a proper writeup - so that will take some time. Maybe this weekend.

• colwyn wrote:

Beta-minus bremsstrahlung, genius?

Conceivably, yes. But why the same profile as the background? Anyway, don't they say x/beta emissions thermalized in lead? The lead would produce most of the bremsstrahlung, but would have characteristic peaks at 73, 75, and 84 keV (unresolved with NaI as a peak at 78 keV). This appears in the background, but is absent in the excursion.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.