me356: Celani Ni Wire replication

• Even Cold Fusion is producing lot of neutrons if we are talking about DD, DT. It can occur at the room temperature without any problem and such devices already exist for a longer time.
    Most probably you can even buy them. Do you want a hint?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_generator

You can find detailed video how Neutristor works - now you can find it also on the MFMP facebook page. You will find that it is VERY similar to some reactors we are playing with.

Few months ago I have proposed that such reaction must work. And it works.

• @jeff: my understanding is that as of now not even Holmlid knows why that is happening, only how to make it happen.

I remember sveinol (Sveinn Ólafsson) urging here on LENR-Forum that this finding should be replicated and tested with different methods than Holmlid's; perhaps this will be possible with other replicators - including you! - soon acquiring spectrometers for more sensitive and detailed analysis of the anomalous radiation signal produced.

• me356:

Your link shows neutron generators based on accelerators. Indeed that can generate fusion, neutrons, etc. But it is high energy.

Similarly the "X-ray crystal" paper recently posted, with 100keV x-rays, can generate fusion at low rates, but again high energy.

What is the connection to LENR?

• When we are exploring the unknown, an open mind is required. We must leave past preconceptions behind. The experimenter is well served to leave all past beliefs, prejudice, and preconceptions behind. We must find the connections not assume them.

• I believe that from my reactors no dust is coming out (at least not from inside).
    Also all the experiments are done in extremely well vented room.

I have found corellation between CPM and temperature - while power is constant. Few seconds after elevated CPMs, you can see that the temperature is rising as well.
    With a different power modulation CPM readout is clearly different. With one power control method CPM is increasing in a waves periodically. With another, readout is more stable with a sharper spikes.

Rarely geiger is showing strangely low radiation (clearly under background - e.g. 0 - 2 CPM) while ambient temperature is same and the detector is not overheated or underheated. There is possibility that radiation energy is out of range for the detector. Question is what is behavior of the detector in this situation. In any other situations readout is stable.
    This behavior was observed for more times during experiments and also with Parkhomov reactor replication when the detector was showing 0 CPM for few minutes. But earlier I have thought it was caused by high temperature. With the latest findings detector seems to be not affected by ambient temperature too much.
    Only with ambient < 0°C it starts to give a false results.

There is also very small possibility that the room was activated since readout is elevated by (10-15 CPM average) for a few months now.
    Neutrons were measured in one case and were detected few days after the experiment stopped while reactor was still under hydrogen pressure. Calculated average dose was 0.5 - 1 uSv/h during 8h of measurement. Only possible other source came from cosmic radiation, altough the measurement was done over night. Neutron detector is not affected by any other radiation type.

With much better detector (will arrive in 1-2 weeks) I will know exact results. I should be able to perform spectroscopy soon as well.

• hendersonmj wrote:

What is demarkation line between Low and High energy? 100kEv is above your line, but not mine. To me, the Low in LENR means "at a minor fraction of the level found in the core of stars."

The core of our sun is at some 15 million kelvin corresponding to an average proton energy of only about 2 keV, and I don't think anyone (except perhaps you and maybe axil) considers fusion in the sun to be cold fusion.

Of course the fusion rate in the sun is too low to be practical, so reactors aim for more than 100 million K, in which case the average energy is something over 10 keV.

Now, even at these energies, the classical energy barrier is not exceeded, but the probability for quantum tunneling becomes appreciable.

Neutron generators that produce neutrons by ordinary fusion use beams of hydrogen isotopes in the tens of keV.

100 keV is far and away *above* the energy typically considered in hot fusion reactors, let alone cold fusion.

I should think the demarkation line would be something around 100 eV for LENR.

• Thank you, joshua cude. But I still don't have a definition of "low energy". I withdraw mine, it sucks. Please tell us where the line is for "low" so we armchair critics and theorists can better cast judgement on the people who are actually doing all the work. As a follow on, please define "cold" so when somebody gets a reactor running in my garage, I know whether it is "cold" fusion.

• Rossi's claim that 50% or more of the energy output of his XCat is electrons tells me that he is most probably producing muons is great numbers because electrons are a decay product of muons.

Muons are hard to detect because they are so heavy. They penetrate deeply and might pass right through a COTS detector. Holmlid know something was amiss because in his experiments, energy was being carried away by something he knew not what. So he built his own muon detector that he had peer reviewed by the society of spectroscopy.

When he had that detector perfected, then he made vigorous progress in his experiments.

I am pushing for the use of a cloud chamber because it is a tried and true science device and inexpensive. It will show muons if they are being produced.

The wire based reactor may be releasing more charged particles than the GlowStick reactor type because in the glowstick the electric coils would redirect charged particles axially to the ends of the GlowStick. There is no magnetic confinement in the wire reactor type.

The description of the Mouse stimulating the Cat points to magnetic confinement of muons, because when the Mouse is depowered, the Cat is stimulated. It is likely that the Mouse is a muon generator.

• The idea of LENR is that it can induce nuclear reactions at ordinary temperatures (that can be withstood by some materials) without explicitly accelerating particles to the necessary energy. That corresponds to temperatures around 1000 K, and for simple particles, that corresponds to less than 1 eV of energy.

It's easy to induce fusion at room temperature by accelerating ions, but the fusion rate is far too low for the fusion power to make up the power necessary to provide the acceleration.

The idea of thermally induced fusion is that the fusion produces heat, so under the right conditions that can sustain the reaction, just as in ordinary chemical combustion. That's the "ignition" they're aiming for in hot fusion, but have not yet reached. In cold fusion, the conditions often claimed should far exceed what is necessary for ignition. That's why failure to demonstrate self-sustained cold fusion is the best indication that the claims of high excess heat have no merit.

Heat is not the only way to sustain a reaction. Fission is initiated by neutrons and sustains itself by emission of neutrons. Unfortunately no such (non-thermal) chain reaction has been identified for fusion. Muons are one way to induce hydrogen fusion without high energies, so if fusion were to produce muons (that could be stopped inside the fuel), that could represent a way to sustain a chain reaction. (Yes, I know Holmlid claims muons, but I remain skeptical.)

• The SmCo5 magnet shows how LENR works. Straight magnetic flux tubes decay protons and neutrons in direct proportion to the strength of the monopole magnetic field. Cravens Gold Ball demo shows how a small magnet can produce a watt of heat. Proton decay via Monopole magnetism is accepted science. The muon is a decay product of proton and neutron decay as follows: Meson -> kaon -> pion -> muon -> electron.

When Proton Meets Monopole

http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw01.html

also see

The Dennis Cravens Golden Ball reaction

• It s not really all relative.

The LENR hypothesis is that:
    (1) there is some way to increase nuclear reaction cross-sections enormously (10s of OOM) above what is expected at a given energy.
    (2) coupled with this there is some way in which the normal high energy nuclear reaction products are turned (almost all) into thousands of much lower energy particles.

Given that as JC says fusion occurs (at unsustainable low rates in the Sun) at average 2keV energy, and at decent rates at 10keV, but not at all in conventional chemistry, we can see:

50eV (normal chemistry energy limit) no fusion.
    2keV (fusion in the Sun at v low power density - but most would consider hot)
    100kev ( high probability fusion)

You might draw the line at 200keV or maybe 1500keV if expecting LOTS of fusion, as the geometric mean.

Or, you might say all cold fusion is at < 50ev since it happens in aqueous or solid metallic media.

Anyway, 100keV is definitely hot, and the fact that some do not realise this perhaps accounts for their overly optimistic views. After all, given access to 100keV energies I can easily make fusion happen!

The particluar reaction in this paper has a high Coulomb threshold so is low rate even when forced by 100keV x-rays.

• I don't know what reactions are taking place, but for sure we have to find what radiation is coming out.
    I am just absolutely certain that there is excess heat. Anything else are speculations right now.

My neutron detector pointed me the source of the radiation and it was clearly direction of the reactor, but still I can't be certain.
    I didn't tried to add lithium yet there, but if neutrons are present, then excess heat might be significantly boosted along with other radiation.

I think that Rossi's 1MW plant test can be positive or negative in sense of nasty ash products.

I don't know which certification company will be able to certify such products for domestic usage.. It could be very hard.

• I have never seen a good quantitative definition of what makes cold fusion cold or LENR low energy. I have my personal definition that you may or may not like. If you try to achieve fusion by thermally overcoming the coulomb barrier, you are doing hot fusion. Stars such as Sol do this with P-P fusion and heavier stars do the C-N-O reaction. Since there are no neutrons here, it's hard to define hot fusion as a reaction that yields neutrons.

If you are working with an apparatus within the solid or liquid state and haven't vaporized the apparatus, you are doing cold fusion. If you use the definition of LENR as being Lattice Enabled, you have to have a solid state lattice to do this. Some of the more recent experiments seem to be working with Lithium at or near its melting point, so there is not necessarily a lattice there.

But does it really matter? Personally, I have no problem differentiating hot fusion from cold fusion.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.