Rossi: “Steam Was Superheated” in 1MW Plant Test

• Quote from stephenrenzz: “ME356 has coincidentally fallen ill so he cannot provide any info of his experiment.” Nickel powder is an extremely dangerous material and has made some researchers very, very ill, with long-term consequences. This should be…

Funny you mention that as I was ridiculed deeply over on E-Scat world for suggesting the hazmat aspects. I was laughed at by many and ridiculed by some of the main posters over there and told I have no idea what I am talking about because there is absolutely NO hazard or danger concerns regarding LENR...."Rossi says". I also had a concern over E-Cat/QuarkX in homes across the nation as they tout over at Scat and I was again laughed at ....ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.

• ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.

You must understand that there is a keen awareness among some within the LENR+ community that, once shown to be commercially viable, cries of safety would be the next barrier thrown up to impede wide adoption. This is a natural evolution of the LENR roll-out. And among the LENR+ community, there is understandably a high skepticism toward the notion that LENR+ is not safe, or cannot be made safe.

Homes have all kinds of dangerous components: high voltage wires running through wooden walls, open flames on a gas-fed stove, highly flammable liquid fuels sitting in tanks inside of vehicles in garages, and so forth. If the upside of LENR+ is worth it, then there are ways to assure that it is safe and acceptable to use in homes.

In the meanwhile, experimenters take the safety issue into their own hands. It would be bad policy, in my opinion, to tell experimenters that they are prohibited from experimenting. That attitude is the antithesis of the attitudes upon which our modern world of conveniences was built.

• Official Post

I think that his long sequence of apparent positive tests perhaps he must take responsibility for, but this could all be his genuine belief interacting with a really bad understanding of science (as Mats says of him).

Tom,

I believe you are trying to be polite to the remaining Rossi believers. :) What you are saying is that Rossi may have fooled himself into believing his various Ecats were producing overunity, when in fact they were not. That has been suggested before, in particular during his early demos, all for which only a single Ecat was being operated. The last of those being the 6 Oct. 2011 test....probably his best and most convincing, but highly controversial nonetheless. After that it was all multiple Ecats tested, in either the 1MW plant, or in the case of IH''s DD...the 30 unit configuration.

It seems plausible with one Ecat, and it's relatively low output, that he fooled himself, and the others present. Not quite so with many working together in a plant...don't you think? Ignorance of the science and poor calorimetry can only take one so far it would seem. Assuming his Ecat was flawed, putting many of them together in a plant would only seem to compound the error mode you have talked of, making it become more, and more obvious...even to the most naive, and Rossi is not that naive, or ignorant.

In the case of the 1 year trial, do you believe he could innocently deceive himself into believing it was outputting 1MW output, instead of the 20kW being reported by Jed and Dewey?

• Quote from stephenrenzz: “ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.”

You must understand that there is a keen awareness among some within the LENR+ community that, once shown to be commercially viable, cries of safety would be the next barrier thrown…

Unfortunately those who ridiculed me for mentioning safety concerns regarding LENR are not as insightful as you. I pointed out that while I support anyone researching, much precaution should be taken in LENR research as we do not completely know the potential hazards especially one does not have proper monitoring and analysis equipment. I was laughed at by numerous main talkers on E-Scat World with what boiled down essentially to the fact that Rossi says and that no one has died from LENR. The point regarding homes came up when many over there were speaking of E-Cats in homes VERY soon. I simply pointed out that before something like Low Energy NUCLEAR Reactors (stressed purely because the public will be concerned by that word) will be allowed there will be and should be extensive safety testing and certifications that could absolutely take a matter of years. You are correct that there are many things in a home that are dangerous, but a reactor could potentially be more dangerous to an order of magnitude in the case of a malfunction or meltdown. I am not saying I know if it would happen, I was just pointing out the possibility and the necessary precautions that should be very carefully considered. I was told I am a troll and just want to kill LENR. The bias over at E-SCat World is amazing....but I suppose all you have to do is look at the mission statements of the site itself to realize that.

• Quote from IH Fanboy: “Quote from stephenrenzz: “ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.”

You must understand that there is a keen awareness among some within the LENR+ community that, once shown to be commercially viable, cries of safety would be…

I can generally get behind nearly everything you say here. Safety will always be a concern. It just needs to be treated within the proper context, and not used as a pretext for prohibiting or significantly slowing down the advancement of LENR into homes, cars, businesses, etc. It is such a convenient way to stir up fear, and as is generally accepted, the masses are in large part controlled by fear. Agree that the world nuclear really needs to be dropped, whether it is nuclear in nature or not. The MRI industry knows this very well.

• Quote from stephenrenzz: “Quote from IH Fanboy: “Quote from stephenrenzz: “ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.”

You must understand that there is a keen awareness among some within the LENR+ community that, once shown to be commercially…

I totally agree Fanboy. Because I know how easy it is to be censored on E-Scat, made sure to preface that I did not think this should hamper research, just that the brash opinion that it is completely safe because "Rossi says" is a dangerous perspective when going into the lab. I was shocked by some of the people on E-Scat that attacked me for it as I thought they were much smarter than that. I totally understand how it would be used as a scare tactic, but they were just against any talk of safety.

• While I don't believe your comments here change my point at all, I honestly do appreciate everything you wrote as I read it carefully. You are obviously a critical thinker...and a deep one at that.

Thank you.

My point was narrow, then I added additional analysis. The narrow point was about LENR, not Rossi; however, response to Rossi was heavily colored, from the beginning, by a belief that LENR was impossible. That was not accurate. LENR is possible. However, that fact does not support any particular individual claim. The history of LENR, in fact, is replete with overblown claims that sometimes had some reality behind them, and sometimes not. The most remarkable claims, sometimes accompanied by commercial efforts, went nowhere. There is a lesson in that!

I gotta say though, it still blows my mind that so many intelligent scientists and engineers do not see right through Rossi's shenanigans.

I have sometimes called Rossi a "magician." It was clear from the beginning that Rossi was not a scientist. I saw that when he explained why he wasn't doing control experiments. "Because I already know what will happen. Nothing." That was a radical misunderstanding -- if sincere -- of what control experiments do. They do not show "nothing." They show the behavior of a system that is missing some element considered necessary. They then allow much more cogent interpretation of evidence. So, the Lugano test. No observation of the IR emissions at full input power but no fuel. As a result, no confirmation that IR emissions were being correctly interpreted. As a result, no confidence in the results. All predictable.

Magician? What magic? I've called it a "force field" that generates what might be called "directed thinking" in otherwise quite intelligent and sober scientists. I'm not sure of how it works, but this is what I come up with. Rossi controls the environment and what can be done. If a scientist allows that, he will see what Rossi wants him to see. Magicians do this. Magic is accompanied by "patter" that explains everything so that it all seems perfectly reasonable. Consider, for example, the "reason" given in the Lugano report for not using full input power.

Suppose a scientist there had objected. What would have happened? We don't know, I think, but ... it is possible that scientist would have been accused of not trusting Rossi and would have been excluded. Reading the history of Rossi, An Impossible Invention, that happened over and over. Anyone who came with the idea that their job was to independently confirm Rossi's claims, using their own expertise and approach, was excluded. Someone who was willing to "go along" was allowed.

I do not know if Rossi deliberately does this. I suspect, in fact, that it's instinctive or learned long ago. Ultimately, I consider it tragic.

However, perhaps the magician will actually pull a rabbit out of the hat. Maybe the magician actually figured out how to enhance NiH reactions. The problem with a magician is that, if the magician has sufficient skill, it's impossible to tell.

But the IH collaboration took this into a new territory. Rossi agreed to transfer the IP, fully (including any subsequent improvements). IH did not want to know how to create "convincing demonstrations." (i.e., magic.) They wanted to know how to generate heat, and presumably reliably. And they consulted with experts, they did not depend only on Rossi and friends.

Rossi continued to control the demonstrations, enough to always create uncertainty.

or I have hope for LENR, but after everything we have been through with Rossi, we should be well into a position of expecting extraordinary proof for extraordinary claims.

That's often misquoted and almost as often misunderstood.

It's "evidence," not "proof." Now, I came into the LENR field in 2009. I was a Wikipedia editor and saw some improper administrative behavior. I confronted that, purely on policy grounds, and, in spite of some surprisingly tenacious opposition, prevailed, or so it seemed. This had nothing to do with any opinion about LENR. I started to work on the Wikipedia article, because something was definitely off. Significant information, published in reliable sources, was being excluded, and relatively unreliable material, often very old and obsolete, was being included. It all had a slant. As I investigated, I found that the user called Pcarbonn, who later became a LENR scientist, had been very improperly banned, having been attacked over what should have been completely irrelevant for Wikipedia. I started to see how corrupt the Wikipedia structure was. There were excellent policies that were not worth the paper they were not written on, if there was no enforcement mechanism, no "neutral judiciary" or the equivalent.

I was topic banned before the end of 2009, as the result of a *successful* arbitration filing. If you "attack administrators" there, it doesn't matter if you are on solid ground, they will come after you. And there are enough of them, even though this faction is a minority, to exercise power. I was site banned for three months, which freed up a lot of time. I decided to devote this to cold fusion. By 2010, I knew the field well enough to know that there was, indeed, extraordinary evidence, but I found it was strangely not emphasized. I discussed this with Dr. Storms, and it is possible that his Naturwissenschaften review (2011) partly came from these discussions (he did credit me). It was originally written as a heat/helium review, but they asked him to write a general review of the field.

So when Rossi came along with that early 2011 demo, I already knew what was required in cold fusion for breakthrough work, and Rossi wasn't supplying it. He was making an extraordinary claim all right, but what was truly extraordinary was the implied reliability and control. It was far outside the envelope of what had been done. Hardly anyone noticed that Rossi never published reliability data.

So what would be extraordinary evidence? It's not all that complicated! The basic requirement is independent confirmation. Not an allegedly independent observation of an inventor or claimant's device, done under the control of the claimant. Rossi resisted all efforts to set up independent confirmation. He obviously did not want it.

So, my summary analysis of what happened in 2014-2015: The agreement between IH and Rossi, based on the text we have, obviously contemplated an independent test, I think with devices manufactured by IH, and with IH running the testing in their own facility and under their own control. The point of the test was to confirm that the IP had been fully transferred. It was a test of transfer, not of heat as such.

By 2015, this had not happened with the megawatt plant, and Rossi was, as he had long done, insisting on a megawatt test instead of the much easier to arrange and validate single-reactor tests that so many wanted. I imagine that Rossi insisted on going ahead with the megawatt test, which he was going to run. This demolished the intention of the agreement. IH could have refused. However, my sense is that they had decided to give Rossi every opportunity to prove his work. So they allowed it, and knew (I infer) that since the core of the contract had apparently not been satisfied, the underlying intention -- they did not know how to make these things work (I assume)-- they could still refuse to pay the $89 million.

Rossi behaved as if this was simply a bigger demonstration for him to run. He thought that if the ERV approved the results, it didn't matter what IH thought. After all, *they had promised!* I imagine a child whining that.

Most scenarios I can imagine around this involve Rossi being literally insane. That isn't an accusation. He is obviously paranoid, though. And "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you!" The converse is that just because they are out to got you -- or may be -- doesn't mean that you are not paranoid.

The paranoid mind can be quite clever, but is ultimately dysfunctional, because success in human endeavor requires trust.

(continued)

• (continued)

All we get from Rossi is double talk, secrecy and broken promises....now compounded by a lawsuit. I have said it a million times, Rossi could prove the Rossi effect simply, quickly and cheaply to the community he obviously is interested in impressing.

Sure. It would be easy, in fact. However, Rossi obviously has another agenda. I can imagine a possible psychology.

There would be no worry of giving away IP or anything...just show us it works. All I have seen is a ridiculous puff of steam that could barely even be seen in front of a black tshirt and coinicdental chopping of the video at the perfect time. If you know what video I am speaking of, you know how absurd it was when Rossi was asked to see the steam. Rossi talks obsessively to his fans on JoNP and here through his sock puppets all day long...he obviously cares what people think.

I do not know that Rossi has sock puppets, I've never seen any clear evidence of that. He appears to have dedicated fans who repeat whatever he's said as fact.

I would say to Professor Rossi (bit0)

He is not a professor.

if you care about science and your community, show us proof the the elusive Rossi Effect...

He doesn't care about science, and not about "scientific community," either.

otherwise be understanding of the fact that you are claiming (especially with ridiculous ~50COP) magic that no other scientist in the history of man has ever achieved.

You have not understood COP and its significance. Infinite COP is easy, if you have any significant effect, and if that is your goal. It can be tricky because of control issues, but it can be done, using controlled cooling. So 50 CP is essentially close to what Rossi calls SS mode, self-sustain. In that mode, there is no heating power supplied, and the only power usage would be for control and monitoring. That circuitry can be separated from power generation, so infinite COP will be realized if there is any continued heating from a reaction. Any chemical reaction can show infinite COP. COP is not a terrribly useful measure except for certain practical considerations.

But I digress...I do respect your view here. It is nice to have a civil discussion when not being attacked or ridiculed. Thank you for your indepth view.

You're welcome. I am active on Quora.com at present, same username as here, and answer questions on cold fusion there, often.

• I was ridiculed deeply over on E-Scat world for suggesting the hazmat aspects. I was laughed at by many and ridiculed by some of the main posters over there and told I have no idea what I am talking about because there is absolutely NO hazard or danger concerns regarding LENR...."Rossi says". I also had a concern over E-Cat/QuarkX in homes across the nation as they tout over at Scat and I was again laughed at ....ZERO safety issues with anything LENR.

"zero safety issues" would be obviously naive. However, sealed fuel tubes, factory-loaded, should not be a safety problem. Shipping them would require caution, but nickel powder is routinely shipped. Basically, you don't want to get the stuff on your skin or inhale it. You can easily find an MSDS for nickel powder. This is hazardous stuff.

This is not a "LENR" hazard. LENR itself appears to be safe, in general, but if the reaction is not under good control, a system failure could be a real problem. Rossi experienced many explosions, according to his stories told to Mats. His control method, at least what he used to use, sucked. He was teetering on the edge of runaway, if he was to be believed.

So why didn't he use a different control method? It's not like it would be that difficult! The plus would be that one could operate at higher temperature, increasing power output. His method required operating below self-sustain. So he later claimed SS mode. What was he doing? No clue.

• We all know that a few LENR researchers have found small amounts of excess heat, but you are in error by mixing that with proof of proven LENR effect and definitely of "Rossi Effect".

We also know that a small number of researchers & companies are more successful with PdZrNiCu mixture's where only gaseous H is added. Look at Japan or Brouillon (COP 3-4). But to say it again a COP of 4 is below any quality you need for a real industrial success. My home's heat pump – dumb compressor - gives me a COP of 5.
    For a boiler with COP 4 you either need a very high temperature or COP around 10! Otherwise your modules must be dirt cheap...

• Continually looking for hidden motivations behind posters is a refuge of those who seek confirmation from authority - if you are capable of judging what people say their motives do not matter

I wished your la-la-land was real where lying is discouraged, and not a business tool amongst others

For example: "wholesome" and "genuine" posters adamantly stating that they want Rossi to fall because he smears LENR name... righteous LENR crusaders who, in other posts, say that high COPs are woowoo, and that bureaucratic overseeing is necessary because think of the children... :^)

Also now, thanks to automated language processing, we have bots!

• (continued)
    Quote: “All we get from Rossi is double talk, secrecy and broken promises....now compounded by a lawsuit. I have said it a million times, Rossi could prove the Rossi effect simply, quickly and cheaply to the community he obviously is…

Wow..well the only rebuttal I would make to all of that, as I pretty much agree with you would be: Calling him a professor was completely tongue-in-cheek jest, especially since his science degree is from a mail-in diploma mill that was shut down for fraud. Just a little misplaced humor there. And the only other comment I would make would be that I do actually understand COP as well as SS mode in this context. I was probably generalizing a bit there, I was just saying no other individual has produced a COP that would allow for observable SSM, but I totally get what you are saying. Again thank you for taking the time to respond, it was actually helpful to me.

• Quote from stephenrenzz: “how are they gonna kill him...will it be a knife in the back, radiation poisoning, or maybe the stay puff marshmellow many will hunt him down. Hard to come up with outlandish things to match your story....this is great stuff!…

Obviously...I wouldn't have added the stay puff marshmellow man if I had thought he REALLY meant someone was going to go and murder him literally. Shoot..my humor is not being well received today lol

• Good lord Sifferkoll...you continue to prove my point. I knew you had no logic, but to not get my sarcasm after even adding in the Stay puff marshmello.....oh good god why do I even try to explain sarcasm to someone who has no level of comprehension to understand. Yeah Sifferkoll...I totally thought you were implying someone was going to sneak over to Rossi's storage container, grab a QuarkX and take him out! Good lord man.........NO ONE would ever suspect foul play....(roll eyes)

• Abd - thank you for your comments and for engaging on this forum. We've had our agreements / disagreements over the years and you always make your case with depth, determination and diligence. I'm very pleased to see you entering the present discussions here. Please understand that I know specifically when the too many to count lies have being told about me by Sifferkoll and others. You don't have to take my word for it but do understand that I'll remain steady state vigilant until these jerks back down. I also know the blatant lies that Rossi and his team are telling about Darden, Cherokee and the IH team. I've known these guys for 16 years - their story, actions and cause are for the good. The character assassination strategy of Team Rossi goes hand in hand with the kind of people they are. This is apparently all they know and such a strategy is not possible with so many inconveniences like facts and truth in the way. Looks like the hand-to-hand combat will continue a bit longer.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.