IH considering counterclaims

• Thank you for the interest in me Mary, may I ask you, where you were born?

• Yes, I can Wyttenbach. I'm not sure who this "MaryYugo" character is, but she seems quite disagreeable.

But in return, can you please stop always capitalizing the word "you". It's a really horrible use of the English language, and it offends my eyes, and your dignity. Thank you.

• [it can be read at the link]

I wrote a response to this and, because this was off-topic, I set it up for the off-topic forum. Because I was having difficulty with a buggy Quote cache, I needed to save what I'd written. I placed a large Under Construction notice at the top, saying I would edit it. I then spent several hours editing it. When I saved it, I got an Access denied error. WTF? I was able to recover my edit from my browser cache (which often doesn't work with lenr-forum, but it worked here.)

Here is what happened:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…/Board/13-Off-Topic-Talk/

How to detonate a pseudoskeptic
    Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax - 4 hours ago
    Thread was deleted by “Alan Smith”: “spam” (3 hours ago)

Alan Smith? Before I detonate, I'm going to watch for a day.

tick, tick, tick....

• Ah, my old friend from the boat club*: THHuxley! It's good to have you back Buddy... I knew you couldn't stay away!

:borg:

But why the downvote?

:thumbup:

* British Chapter.

• Quote from "MY"

That could only be Sifferkoll.

Well, geography is not a subject anymore in US schools I guess.

• Shane:

Mary,I think this Hody is our old GW. All the hallmarks. Check his profile too.

Could be, could be anybody, I suppose. You'd think if someone was going to spoof a real individual, they'd take the trouble to know when and where they were born. What about the profile got your attention?

• "ROTFWL".

I told you where I was born Mary (not that it's any of your business), and my vanity prevented me from putting my correct birthdate.

But how did you know I did that?

• When I was at medical school I took part in a research project into homeopathy. Half the patients were told their medicine was a placebo, and half the patients (To whom we referred to as the "dummies") were left unaware of this.

Out of the patients who were told the truth, every single one reported an increase in the severity of their symptoms, and better yet, these effects persisted for an extended period of time. One patient even died, although I was able to counsel him in his last moments about the futility of believing in a heaven, and I think he appreciated the sentiment.

I remember an interesting story about a physician training medical students. He gave them all a test to see if they would make good doctors. He had each one individually demonstrate the procedure for determining the presence of appendicitis. The ones that immediately pressed exactly on the spot where the appendix is located on the dummy, were told they did not have the requisite sensitivity to be a good doctor. It hurts the patient too much to press directly on the spot when a person has appendicitis. The sensitive doctor starts some distance away from the spot and gently presses towards the place where the appendix is located. People who don't have that approach to other people would probably be better off outside of a helping profession, and the patients would be better off too.

On another note, in contrast to your study, recent research has shown that people benefit from taking pills even though it says "Placebo" right on the bottle! And it may be surprising for you to consider just how beneficial believing in heaven may be, or to consider it in light of empirical research. :)

• On another note, in contrast to your study, recent research has shown that people benefit from taking pills even though it says "Placebo" right on the bottle!

I do not think the placebo effect exists. Giving a placebo has the same effect as giving no treatment at all. People get better anyway, but it is not because of the placebo. See:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200105243442106

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117429

• I do not think the placebo effect exists. Giving a placebo has the same effect as giving no treatment at all. People get better anyway, but it is not because of the placebo. See:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200105243442106

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117429

Medicine is kind of like LENR. Doctors "practice" medicine because it is not a fully understood discipline! A doctor knows how to set a broken arm and it is pretty well understood how and why the bone heals, but on the other hand, doctors have very little understanding about anesthesia. (Or consciousness for that matter) And much of medicine is so subjective. If a patient is given a placebo for a headache, he may very sell state he feels better. If he "feels" better, perhaps the placebo worked.... or perhaps his mind cannot accurately compare what his headache felt like an hour ago versus now!

I do not know much about placebos however I have read about the mind and have enjoyed Robert Lawrence Kuhn's series "Closer to Truth". He often has episodes about consciousness and awareness. I wonder if there have been studies on placebos concerning illness's that can be objectively measured. For instance if two people have high blood sugar, the study gives one an insulin enhancer and another a placebo and then they have the exact same diet, one would think they could objectively measure the results. Studying headaches would be difficult because how do you "measure" a headache?

It is kind of like measuring the photo of the Quark! Something are just blurry images! :P

• I do not think the placebo effect exists. Giving a placebo has the same effect as giving no treatment at all. People get better anyway, but it is not because of the placebo. See:

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200105243442106

abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117429

It is not the same as giving no treatment in a wide variety of situations. There is a real and powerful effect. This is particularly true in psychiatry. There are some diseases, situations, and conditions upon which expectancy has little or no effect, but I would invite you to reserve judgement knowing that the study you cite is not generalizable to all situations and conditions. They are talking about binary outcomes. I could cite numerous studies demonstrating the power of the placebo effect, but we are going increasingly far afield of the OT. You may want to read more about the placebo effect or delve into psychoneuroimunology if you want to learn more.

If we would account for "the get better after time" hypothesis, then double blind studies for medicaments are very likely nonsense...

• @"George Hody"

How did I know you did what?

Shane, what suggested to you that this is the nonsensical troll who used to sign as "GW" or Greenwin on ecatnews.com?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.