Clearance Items

• Recognition peaked with the election to Fellowship of the Royal
    Society in 1985. He was also awarded several medals, perhaps the most prestigious being
    the Electrochemistry and Thermodynamics Medal (1979) of the Royal Society of Chemistry,
    and the Olin Palladium Medal (1986) of the US Electrochemical Society.

Thanks Alan

Clarification of these honours, awarded to Martin Fleischmann, is appreciated by me.

...the Olin Palladium Medal (1986) of the US Electrochemical Society.

• Jerry Frankel Receives Olin Palladium Award
    Posted: June 16, 2021
    Please join us congratulating Prof. Jerry Frankel on winning the Olin Palladium Award. It is the highest award from the Electrochemical Society to recognize distinguished contributions to the field of electrochemical or corrosion science . If you not familiar with this award, the big names on the list speak for itself!
    https://www.electrochem.org/palladium-award
    Olin Palladium Award
    The Olin Palladium Award was established in 1950 for distinguished contributions to the field of electrochemical or corrosion science.
    Award
    The award consists of a Palladium medal and a plaque that contains a bronze replica thereof, both bearing the recipient’s name, the sum of US $7,500, complimentary meeting registration for award recipient and companion, a dinner held in recipient’s honor during the designated meeting, and Life Membership in The Society. The recipient will receive the award at the designated Society meeting and deliver a general address on a subject related to the contributions for which the award is being presented.
    About the Olin Palladium Award

The ECS Olin Palladium Award was established in 1950 with funds from the royalties derived from the sale of Herbert H. Uhlig’s Corrosion Handbook. The handbook was sponsored and largely written by members active in the ECS Corrosion Division. Uhlig served as Editor-in-Chief.

Past recipients

2021-2001

Gerald Frankel

(2021)

Shimshon Gottesfeld

(2019)

Philippe Marcus

(2017)

Digby MacDonald

(2015)

Ralph White

(2013)

Koji Hashimoto

(2011)

Dieter M. Kolb

(2009)

Sergio Trasatti

(2007)

Robert A. Rapp

(2005)

Eliezer Gileadi

(2003)

Norio Sato

(2001)

1999-1985

John B. Goodenough

(1999)

Royce W. Murray

(1997)

Jerome Kruger

(1995)

Jean M. Saveant

(1993)

John S. Newman

(1991)

Brian E. Conway

(1989)

Allen J. Bard

(1987)

Martin Fleischmann

(1985)

1983-1969

Morris Cohen

(1983)

Izaak M. Kolthoff

(1981)

Roger Parsons

(1979)

Heinz Gerischer

(1977)

Marcel J. N. Pourbaix

(1975)

Veniamin G. Levich

(1973)

Leo Brewer

(1971)

Thomas P. Hoar

(1969)

1967-1951

Paul Delahay

(1967)

Norman Hackerman

(1965)

Herbert H. Uhlig

(1961)

Alexander N. Frumkin

(1959)

Karl F. Bonhoeffer

(1957)

Ulick R. Evans

(1955)

Nathaniel H. Furman

(1953)

Carl W. Wagner

(1951)

• @Jed Rothwell: that was a very good answer but as you see photosynthesis in plants is a very complex process and recent research indicates that the efficiency is probably equal to photovoltaic cells/when all of the factors are factored in! Like LENR's it depends on the precise environment in each case for cacti or carboxylation in massive Sequoia trees which have a life-span of centuries. :)

• The super abundancy of Ice at 2500 degrees Kelvin, possibly the most prevalent form of solid water. Crystallography and phase change parameters are perhaps infinite aspects of relativity.

Do thermal waves travel at the speed of light through the condensed matter...

What form of solid ice might occur in condensed matter of LENR environs? Just wondering...

Has Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory seen it? Or the University of Rochester's cold fusion laboratory...

From 2014

Ice X – The extreme form of ice.

Ice X – The extreme form of ice.
    What does it look like? What is it? So far this year we’ve had a few forms of ice, and they’ve all had something in common.  The hydrogen bond, a connection…
    crystallography365.wordpress.com

Latest news

DECEMBER 2021

An excellent article from

Interesting Engineering

SCIENCE

"Scientists Have Created Ice-19, A Brand New State of Matter"

And it's one of the at least 19 phases of ice.

By Marcia Wendorf

December 02, 2021

Scientists Have Created Ice-19, A Brand New State of Matter
    If the new state of matter of ice-19 was present in the cores of alien worlds, it would generate a magnetic field that would create life.
    interestingengineering.com

A new study by a team at the University of Chicago, published in the October 14, 2021 issue of the journal Nature Physics, reports on the creation of a new phase of ice called "superionic ice".

ALSO

The first experimental evidence for superionic water ice came from a 2018 study by scientists from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), UC Berkeley, and the University of Rochester. They first sandwiched a droplet of water between two diamonds that functioned like miniature anvils, squeezing the droplet with 2.5 GPa of pressure (25 thousand atmospheres). This "pre-compressed" water into the...

...room-temperature ice VII,

a cubic crystalline form of ice.

The team then shifted to the University of Rochester's Laboratory for Laser Energetics where they bombarded one of the diamonds with up to six intense beams of UV light... - end quotes

gbgoblenote

Might a polymorph of ice be seen in condensed matter hot/cold environs...

A new avenue of scientific enquiry, are any of these polmorphs enhance superconductivity...

If once created some polymorphs of ice are stable at room temperature, where will this lead us in regards to nuclear and atomic physics... -end gbgoblenote

This article is "Ice Forms" comprehensive So to speak... Fascinating. The discussions of polymorphs of crystal structures and lattice form is relevant to many aspects of CMNS in my opinion. Well worth reading this Open Source article in its entirety.

"Stability-Ranking of Crystalline Ice Polymorphs Using Density-Functional Theory"

by Pralok K. Samanta, Christian J. Burnham and Niall J. English

School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland

Crystals 2020, 10(1), 40; https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst10010040

Received: 18 December 2019 / Revised: 8 January 2020 / Accepted: 15 January 2020 / Published: 16 January 2020

(This article belongs to the Section Crystalline Materials)

Also of interest

(hypothetically)

from this new branch of

scientific inquiry...

From 2014

H2O ice as superconductor? yes, superconducting water!

By JoseA_Flores-Livas

H2O ice as superconductor? yes, superconducting water !
    We have recently investigated the possibility of achieve high-temperature superconductivity in hydrides under pressure by inducing metallization of otherwise…
    www.fysik-aztek.net

We identify nitrogen as the most likely and promising substitution or dopant.

We show that for realistic levels of doping of a few percent, the phase X of ice becomes superconducting with a critical temperature of about 60 K at 150 GPa.

• @Cherepanov

With many strokes of the pen you manage to eliminate electro from electro magnetism. That can form the core of your theory. But that is not the issue. I have been a guest for a while and I know you use confusing imagery, such as ' a moving charge creates a magnetic field '. That tends to invite a response. But that is pointless. There is no common ground.

I did not intend to bring you into this discussion, but when you posted the same incorrect image for the plane wave as JohnDuffield, I had no choice. I knew your ways. Consider yourself fortunate if you never hear from me again.

• Wyttenbach

I was trying to show that maybe resonance occurs in the EM wave itself. I saw a paper one time that showed resonance between a sphere and a wave occurred with the Poynting vector bending toward the sphere. Does your theory show such a thing? The mechanism of nuclear resonance is important, but not well explained. Needs work.

As far as induction is concerned, it's the rate of change that matters. B can go to zero as long as the driving process continues. Consider the electrical transformer. When does the induction stop?

• When does the induction stop?

It's an exponential decay maintained by the current.

I was trying to show that maybe resonance occurs in the EM wave itself.

Maxwell wave equations are incomplete as the medium is undefined and just by sheer magic the E vector is reproduced from the B(H) vector. Of course this is nonsense as E / B are not symmetric quantities!

So physics still misses a proper EM equation that reproduces the physics we see.

So current wave equation are good for engineering only.

• @Cherepanov

With many strokes of the pen you manage to eliminate electro from electro magnetism. That can form the core of your theory. But that is not the issue. I have been a guest for a while and I know you use confusing imagery, such as ' a moving charge creates a magnetic field '. That tends to invite a response. But that is pointless. There is no common ground.

I did not intend to bring you into this discussion, but when you posted the same incorrect image for the plane wave as JohnDuffield, I had no choice. I knew your ways. Consider yourself fortunate if you never hear from me again.

Dear G.R. Mattson! In vain you write this ... The point is in me ... I am not the author of the treatise "Electricity and Magnetism" ... This treatise was written by Maxwell ... My mission was simple - to show you those places in Maxwell's treatise in which he made school mistakes. Open the treatise ... Find paragraph 39 in the "Electrostatics" section and analyze Maxwell's text for yourself. You can easily find these errors using my article -

Another explanation to physicists of Maxwell's mistakes, 19.01.2021-01.11.2021 – https://cloud.mail.ru/public/8wdJ/3MSKr2FtR

Another explanation to physicists of Maxwell's mistakes, 19.01.2021-01.11.2021 – https://docs.google.com/docume…fVt7BF94/edit?usp=sharing

Another explanation to physicists of Maxwell's mistakes, 19.01.2021-01.11.2021 -

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355982268_Another_explanation_to_physicists_of_Maxwell%27s_mistakes

Wish you success.

• photosynthesis in plants is a very complex process and recent research indicates that the efficiency is probably equal to photovoltaic cells/when all of the factors are factored in

I think that would only be the case with all PAR light (no green light). Photovoltaic cells work with a broader wavelength. So, with actual white sunlight they will produce more electricity per photon. If you lived on a planet with a star that produces no green light, perhaps photosynthesis would be as effective as photovoltaic devices. (I don't think that's possible!)

Here is Fig. 16-6 from my book, showing PAR:

• I think that would only be the case with all PAR light (no green light). Photovoltaic cells work with a broader wavelength. So, with actual white sunlight they will produce more electricity per photon. If you lived on a planet with a star that produces no green light, perhaps photosynthesis would be as effective as photovoltaic devices. (I don't think that's possible!)

Here is Fig. 16-6 from my book, showing PAR:

Recall the article from a year or so ago about genetic adjustments to plants that improved photosynthesis reactions by deleting evolutionary long chemical paths to the same final stage. 20%+ growth rates, something like that. Some plants have already optimized the chemistry, some not so much.

• Recall the article from a year or so ago about genetic adjustments to plants that improved photosynthesis reactions by deleting evolutionary long chemical paths to the same final stage. 20%+ growth rates, something like that.

If you can improve the efficiency of photosynthesis with bio-engineering, that is another story. I was talking about natural photosynthesis as it is now. Many agricultural plants have been "improved" (from our point of view) with plant breeding over the centuries. For example, corn has much higher yields than the original wild species. Bio-engineering would speed up that process.

• Which begs the question is bio=engineering far more efficient than electrical engineering???

That remains to be seen. But I doubt it. I expect electrical engineering is more efficient, and it will continue to get more efficient over time.

It is possible that the electrical engineers will learn good techniques from biology. That is how AI has made progress in recent years, with neural networks, which are loosely based on biological brains.

I predict that photosynthesis will never be as good as photovoltaics, so it will not be used for energy capture. But it may well be used for carbon capture. That is to say, we may grow many trees and then harvest the wood when the trees mature or die, convert it to charcoal, and sequester it. There might be mechanical ways to do this. We might make machines to do it. The machines might be more energy efficient. But trees have a lot value apart from carbon capture, and they cost nothing. They are self-replicating and maintenance free!

• Not so long ago

On February 7th 2019 two LENR technology patents assigned to Google Inc. became exposed/published. They were each filed on the same day a year and a half ago, August 3rd 2017. It’s hard to tell how long Google has had these inventors working on developing this LENR energy technology. At least a couple of years before the filing date of the patent, let’s say 2015 or earlier.

Carl Page, the brother of the founder of Google, has been very active for many years at the LENR company Brillouin Energy, Berkeley CA, USA. Both an investor and active agent, he serves on the Technical Advisory Board and is supportive of their ongoing growth, during this important phase, as ‘Brillouin Energy prepares to enter the commercial marketplace’ (press release).

Larry Page, as CEO of ‘Google’ is pursuing an alternate LENR energy technology pathway. The work is being done by a group out of Munday Labs at the University of Maryland. Last year Munday Labs received a lucrative DoD contract for two years of continued research.

It makes sense that Google Inc. might develop the technology, through the commercial LENR reactor design phase, in partnership with a private industrial laboratory group in the semi conductor or nano technology industries...

...or in the security of a DoD lab.

GBGOBLENOTE - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is DoE and DoD. My prediction was correct. In fact Team Google was already at LLNL in 2019.

Time and further investigation will eventually lead to answers for these questions.

The Google LENR energy technology group comes as a surprise to many; which leads to speculation questioning how serious Google is in developing this technology. Yet the possibility of Google investing in the field was alluded to in a 2016 E-Cat World article:

“Of course with his family ties to Google, one wonders how much his younger brother Larry might be paying attention to LENR now. The Alphabet company was formed to let Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin broaden their horizons and explore topics outside the traditional web/search field. Right now they have efforts going in areas such as longevity research, robotics, drone delivery, and capital investment. One wonders if they might see LENR as an important new area of innovation that should be explored.”

Well it seems that Frank Ackland was correct. In fact Google Inc. was most likely working on developing these patents at the time of his article.

I hope this compilation provides information and leads which will set many of these speculations and doubts to rest. The inventors are highly skilled and work in fields that are directly related to LENR research. Professor Munday attended an APS Meeting that held a seminar on cold fusion research. His labs’ research in palladium nanocrystals during hydrogen absorption and desorption, thin metallic films co-depositation, photonics, and plasmonics for energy to nanoscale forces provides experience for work developing SPAWAR/GEC type LENR systems.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.