LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• The New Hydrogen Car that Travels 2,000 Kilometers with a Single Tank - Hydrogen Central
    The new hydrogen car that travels 2,000 kilometers with a single tank. Volkswagen is working on a new fuel cell that is much cheaper than the
    hydrogen-central.com

Volkswagen is working on a new fuel cell that is much cheaper than the current ones and promises hydrogen cars that can travel 2,000 kilometers on a single tank.

Volkswagen has just applied for the registration of a patent for a new hydrogen fuel cell that, in addition to being cheaper than the current ones , will be able, according to its creators, to give cars a range of up to 2,000 kilometers without refueling.

• @Jed

If you want to solve the carbon problem, solve the China problem.

Or maybe the heat problem.

"IF", tomorrow morning, all of the 120 ppm of CO2 that human activity has added to the atmosphere between 1975 and 2019, (per NASA), disappears, will there be any measurable affect on the temperature of the atmosphere?

Human activity has added more than enough heat, (between 1975 & 2019), to the atmosphere to raise the temp 1°f, and will continue to add more.

• Human activity has added more than enough heat, (between 1975 & 2019), to the atmosphere to raise the temp 1°f, and will continue to add more.

Nope. All heat, whether it comes from human activity, a volcano, a forest fire or the sun leaves the earth within days, most of it within hours. If the sun were to go out, the temperature on earth would fall close to absolute zero in a few months. There are heat islands in urban areas from combustion heat, but if the motors and space heaters were all turned off, the heat islands would cool down in a day or two. When the sun goes down in the Sahara desert, the temperature soon falls from 38 deg C to -4 deg C.

How long could life on Earth survive if the Sun stopped shining? (Beginner) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

Here's Why It Gets Freezing Cold During Night In Arid Deserts Like Sahara
    Here's the reason behind the dramatic temperature shift happen in arid deserts like the Sahara
    www.indiatimes.com

• Nope. All heat, whether it comes from human activity, a volcano, a forest fire or the sun leaves the earth within days, most of it within hours. If the sun were to go out, the temperature on earth would fall close to absolute zero in a few months. There are heat islands in urban areas from combustion heat, but if the motors and space heaters were all turned off, the heat islands would cool down in a day or two. When the sun goes down in the Sahara desert, the temperature soon falls from 38 deg C to -4 deg C.

http://curious.astro.cornell.e…-stopped-shining-beginner

https://www.indiatimes.com/tre…ure-night-day-534888.html

Totally true, Earth looses heat readily. All it takes is a clear sky night in July (here at the southern hemisphere) to get a frost in the parts of Chile where night temps can get below 0 Celsius. Those are called “radiative frosts” because heat is dissipated to space easily when there’s no “blanket” effect from the clouds.

The so called “Global Warming” is proposed as an increased capacity of the atmosphere to delay the radiation of the heat to space, making its equilibrium temperature higher. That’s all. To be honest, my qualm with CO2 release has never been because of warming, but because of all the toxins released by extracting and burning the fuels, which IMO are far worse than CO2 contribution to the capacity of the atmosphere to delay radiation. But in the end, weaning mankind off fossil fuels is a must, whatever your reason for wishing it.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Kind of related. This is how hurricanes help dissipate heat into space. How cool:

Once the air parcel reaches the tropopause, the boundary between the troposphere and the stratosphere, it begins to spiral outward. As the air parcel spirals outward, it loses heat to outer space by long wave radiation. At some point far away from the center of the hurricane, the cooled air parcel begins to sink back towards the lower troposphere. Then, this cycle, which is known as a hurricane’s secondary circulation, is complete.

• In some desert areas, ancient people made ice with ponds even when the ground level temperature remained above freezing. The ponds radiated directly into space. This technique is being revisited now. See "radiative cooling."

The Persian ice house, or how to make ice in the desert

The Persian ice house, or how to make ice in the desert
    The Persian ice house and ice making technique are a fine example of what can be achieved without electricity by understanding physics and the local climate.
    www.fieldstudyoftheworld.com

Generations after people learned to make ice in the desert, the same technique under development to provide us with radiative cooling
    Sarah Kaplan writes on the Washington Post website about the innovation from one scientist at the University of California at Los Angeles to use ancient…
    energyindemand.com

• to give cars a range of up to 2,000 kilometers without refueling.

2,000 km is more than you need if the fuel is readily available. If you can refuel anywhere, the range limit should be approximately how far you can drive in one day. Beyond that, you carry unnecessary weight in fuel.

Hydrogen is not readily available, so this long range is probably a good idea.

Electric cars can be recharged anywhere, including most of the houses or motels you drive to in one day, so an electric car range of ~700 miles is the most you need. Most people cannot drive farther than that. Long haul trucks might go farther with two drivers, if one sleeps. That is probably against the law. I wouldn't know.

Self-driving electric trucks will go 24 hours a day, leaving no time to recharge with the driver sleeps, so I guess the range should be as far as possible.

• You can block usersindividually. You go to their profile and proceed to block. You can also unwatch threads, they won't send you notifications anymore.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Nope. All heat, whether it comes from human activity, a volcano, a forest fire or the sun leaves the earth within days, most of it within hours. If the sun were to go out, the temperature on earth would fall close to absolute zero in a few months. There are heat islands in urban areas from combustion heat, but if the motors and space heaters were all turned off, the heat islands would cool down in a day or two. When the sun goes down in the Sahara desert, the temperature soon falls from 38 deg C to -4 deg C.

http://curious.astro.cornell.e…-stopped-shining-beginner

https://www.indiatimes.com/tre…ure-night-day-534888.html

Who told you that Jed? CNN?

• Who told you that Jed? CNN?

My source is right there: Cornell University Astronomy Department. You will find the same information in every textbook and every online source of information on astronomy or physics. This has been common knowledge since Newton established his law of cooling. You can observe many examples of this, such as pot of hot water on a stove, or millions of tons of lava from a volcano. In 1950 Mauna Loa erupted 376 million cubic meters of lava. The fraction that remained on land (instead of flowing into the ocean) cooled in about 8 months to 1.5 years, because it was well insulated. It was completely at ambient temperature within a few years. Hot surfaces exposed to air cool down in a few hours, as shown by the rapid fall in the temperature of sand in the desert, from 38 to -4 deg C, or the cooling down of a forest or city after a massive fire.

Volcano Watch - How do lava flows cool and how long does it take? | U.S. Geological Survey

See also the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

What is your source of information?

• Who told you that Jed? CNN?

Let me add that you are trolling us, and you should stop doing that. You have made this assertion before. I, and others, gave you authoritative sources such as the Cornell Astronomy Dept. and the USGS showing you are wrong. We spelled out the physics, which date back to the 17th century. You, on the other hand, have given us nothing. No evidence for your claim. You "accuse" me of getting information from CNN. Actually CNN is an excellent source of information for the most part, but in any case, your information does not appear to be coming from anywhere. You are completely wrong that human energy production adds significantly to the totals, or that it lasts any longer than the heat from sunlight. Total human energy expenditure is far less than solar energy. The effects of solar energy all leave the planet within days. Most of it within hours. See Newton's law of cooling and the Stefan-Boltzmann law for details, as I said. This is basic physics. What you say violates basic physics.

• Roseland67 , one of the topics that we actively discourage discussing at LENR-forum is AGW, because it quickly turns into a controversy that we are not the place to resolve, so I ask you politely to stop now. We can discuss CO2 reduction/sequestration technologies in relation to energy production, as we have been doing here recently, but that’s it.

• McKinsey report.

Europe’s EV opportunity--and the charging infrastructure needed to meet it
    Building EV charging stations in Europe
    www.mckinsey.com

To go carbon neutral by 2050, Europe needs more electric vehicles on the road—and many more EV chargers too. What will this build-out look like and what might it cost?

The European Union is the global frontrunner in the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs): its member countries are responsible for more than a quarter of the world’s EV production, and EVs represented roughly 20 percent of its new-car sales in 2021. The region’s combination of forward-thinking incumbent manufacturers and early-adopting EV consumers offers it a unique opportunity to create a world-leading EV ecosystem. That could generate new jobs, lessen air pollution, accelerate progress toward climate goals, and help Europe become a global EV lighthouse.

Yet a larger uptake of EVs will require a major build-out of Europe’s EV-charging infrastructure. In 2021, the continent had an estimated 375,000 charging stations. But a recent analysis by McKinsey (see sidebar, “The EV Charging Infrastructure Masterplan”), conducted for a report from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA), suggests that—in even the most conservative scenario—the EU-27 will need at least 3.4 million operational public charging points by 2030.1

• Electric Car for a Cold Climate | Driving Range - Consumer Reports

“Typically, we warn new-car shoppers not to buy more vehicle than they need, whether that’s seats, cargo room, or towing capacity,” Fisher says. “But in this case, EV buyers who drive in colder climates should strongly consider getting a car with a range about double what their daily driving needs are, so they’re not left stranded in a cold snap.”

• Yet a larger uptake of EVs will require a major build-out of Europe’s EV-charging infrastructure. In 2021, the continent had an estimated 375,000 charging stations.

I do not think as many charging stations will be needed as some of the experts think. I expect most people will charge at home. In Atlanta there are many charging stations close to my house, for example at the tennis courts in the park. I seldom see a car being charged there. You can get a home charger cheaply these days, which you plug into a 240 V clothes dryer outlet. You can have an electrician put in a new 240 V outlet cheaply. I had to do this recently when my old outlet stopped working. My daughter put in one in her living room to charge her electric car.

I had an electric car for 6 months. I gave it to my daughter who lives in downtown Washington DC. She has no trouble parking in the street and charging it with a long cord. You have get one of those plastic covers construction people use on sidewalks to cover an electric cord.

“But in this case, EV buyers who drive in colder climates should strongly consider getting a car with a range about double what their daily driving needs are, so they’re not left stranded in a cold snap.”

I found that range is more of a problem than I anticipated, even in Atlanta, where we seldom drive far. I had a used, first generation Leaf with an effective range of ~90 miles. It wasn't enough. I think the average range is ~200 miles these days, which is a lot better but still not great. Some people only need 100 miles, of course.

Electric Car EPA Range Mega Comparison (US): Feb 11, 2022
    Let's take a closer look at the EPA range of currently available electric cars (and multiple upcoming ones) in the US, as of early February 2022.
    insideevs.com

As I have often said, when range reaches around 500 or 600 miles, the farthest most people can drive in one day, there will be little need to extend it beyond that. You park and recharge overnight. It will resemble what happened to computer disks once they reached 1 TB. New, off-the-shelf ordinary computers have had 1 TB disks for many years now. They no longer increase the disk size every year the way they did until around the year 2000.

As I said, trucks driven exclusively by robots 24 hours a day will need the most battery capacity we can make. And/or rapid charging if they can come up with that. Cold fusion would be best. As Arthur Clarke once put it (I think it was), with the nuclear energy in a candy bar you could send the Queen Mary Ocean Liner flying past Mars at a fair fraction of the speed of light. If he didn't say that, he should have. Maybe I said it?

Melvin Miles recently said:

"If you do calculations, you get one cubic-centimeter of palladium loaded one-to-one with deuterium, and you got all of the energy out suddenly at once, it would be equivalent to 31 tons of TNT. Lot of people don't recognize that fact"

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesMdrmelmiles.pdf

• @Jed

That 200 mile EV range would probably work fine in Europe but not here in the U.S. If EVs of 500 Mile range are needed generally here and one should double the range if you live in a cold climate then I would need a 1000 mile range. That would still not be enough to get to my daughter's in Texas (a 1400 mile trip) on a single charge.. I wish people would start taking into account how large the U.S. is compared to Europe. Compare the size of Texas to Ukraine, for example.

• JedRothwell

The European situation with EV' charging is very different to the USA one, in that many houses have a small electrical supply. I have a friend with a 5 storey pallazetto in Venice who manages it all with a 5kW supply, mostly LED lighting and (mercifully) natural gas heating. I have a house in France with 6kW max, and my son a house in the countryside there with 3kW.

The UK is somewhat better off, most houses have at least 40kW, and new ones are supposed to have 100. Germany is similar I believe.

So public charging points are going to be very necessary.

• I do not think as many charging stations will be needed as some of the experts think.

The original electric car system thought to be deployed was exchanging precharged accumulators.

Now where all the regulators have been bribe, we leave over one more key business to the car manufacturers that can sell you any crap at your risk. This also leads X-fold more complex repair business needed for car electrics.

OF course you also can transport charged accumulators without the need for millions of charge stations....

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.