What is the current state of LENR?

• Encyclopedia dot com

A very long and inclusive description of the current state of LENR. My first read through I think it's good. Way better than Wikipedia. Mine is not a definitive opinion... of course. A whole lot of people have read this, that's the truth.

• Science magazines
    • Does cold fusion exist

Does Cold Fusion Exist?

Views 3,207,835

Does cold fusion exist | Encyclopedia.com

• Wrong question: both nuclear fission and fusion exist, whether these nuclear reactions can occur at slow rates of reaction at low temperatures is the correct question to answer! We know its true for fission otherwise our nuclear reactors would be uncontrollable and would end up like Fukushima every time without moderators like graphite to slow down fission reactors to sustainable levels via neutron absorption. Surely the same principle could be extended to fission-fusion reactors? A slow release of power ie a slowly detonating hydrogen bomb? If the ITER reactor is ever powered up, what precautions are being taken since neutrons will rapidly degrade the metal containment system, reach a FUSION CHAIN REACTION AND DETONATE LIKE A H-BOMB in the south of FRANCE. :)

• My father was a GP (General Practitioner in the art of MEDICINE) who spent his final years monitoring the 'shine' (gamma radiation) release from the Sizewell B nuclear reactor. He used to warn people in his practice not to go out when the radiation levels were high. He died two months short of a century at the grand old age of 99 - non compos mentis in a nursing home at the end, his brain dissolving into mush, unfortunately. Safety regulations have always been ignored at Sellafield (Windscale) in the pursuit of centralised electrical power which is true throughout the World. Now the idiots are building two new reactors, SIZEWELL C in the EAST (Suffolk) and another at Hinckley near where I live in the WEST (Somerset). Both on the coast and in known flood zones. Sensible or just plain STUPID? :)

• only shows the skill level of people that ask...

You do know your skill level?

You do know that the term 'cold fusion' is a popular name not a scientific one.

You are aware that fission and fusion occur in the condensed matter nuclear reactive environment of cold fusion and that in that spot it is quite hot.

You do know that you know more than any other person can possibly know skillfully.

Just an unskilled guess of mine.

I do know you are skilled at correcting everybody always.

Thanks for your expertise.

Hot is a term of relativity, not a measure of temperature. Hot and cold fusion. NASA LCF?

• cyoung

Are you still paying attention and looking for inspiration. I'd like to suggest you read about Joseph Papp and his peculiar engine. He claimed it was nuclear based and he may have been right. If so, a part of lenr has been missing for 50 odd years.

Any process involving an electric arc likely involves LENR. Papp engine used inert gas, so that makes the chemistry easier because there would be few if any chemical reactions. If as I propose LENR is proceeds by creating a gravity via special relativity, then the helium in the inert gas mixture is the most likely fuel. The helium would convert to dense helium due special relativity. The dense helium cluster to create a gravity well. As energy continue to flow into the gravity well from phats generated by helium ionization, the cluster would reach a point of ignition the expected output is carbon per the triple alpha process. Triple-alpha process - Wikipedia

If the process happened, one could see it as a decrease in helium relative to other inert gas. It is much harder to get helium rather than deuterium to fuse because helium has more protons.

• What is the current state of LENR?

I think most everyone here would agree this is a very loaded question, with many different paths to take in order to answer it.

Everyone here would likely agree the field is growing, data sets are improving and our understanding of the collective effects in LENR is deepening, our understanding is accelerating.

Theorists abound as always. Sometimes these voices are not seemingly working together. None of them agree on everything, i.e. data collection methods, analysis or interpretation of data and debates about a direction taken for formulation of theories.

This is actually a healthy theoretical arena, in which some useful commonalities are found.

Hypotheses move this science forward. Identifying the many known physics parameters within these complex systems and well reasoned steps for improving research, improve understanding/control and to identify unknowns.

Advanced engineering of reactors, including defining categories of reactor types and methods. Forward thinking, consideration of eventual integration of and applied engineering for utilizing the energetics of LENR.

Most here recognize LENR is quickening, advances made ar building a noticeable momentum, accelerating the field.

Most here recognize the field of CMNS is broadening, becoming more of a multidisciplinary art. Advanced leading laboratories of nano, plasma, metamaterial, nuclear physics, superconductivity, molecular printing, computer analysis and modeling... and more... Industry and government... The field of LENR is broadening and growing exponentially.

Competitive

Yes at times, though this is not definitive of the field nor will it define the industry in my opinion

Secretive

Yes at times, though this is not definitive of the field nor will it define the industry in my opinion.

Is LENR entering the market?

Yes... in my opinion this year we will better formulate answers to these unknowns, By who? What product? When can I buy it?

• Drgenek

Any process involving an electric arc likely involves LENR. Papp engine used inert gas, so that makes the chemistry easier because there would be few if any chemical reactions. If as I propose LENR is proceeds by creating a gravity via special relativity, then the helium in the inert gas mixture is the most likely fuel. The helium would convert to dense helium due special relativity. The dense helium cluster to create a gravity well. As energy continue to flow into the gravity well from phats generated by helium ionization, the cluster would reach a point of ignition the expected output is carbon per the triple alpha process. Triple-alpha process - Wikipedia

If the process happened, one could see it as a decrease in helium relative to other inert gas. It is much harder to get helium rather than deuterium to fuse because helium has more protons.

You call your process the ' alpha ladder' and it seems to deviate from the alpha chain by the production of nitrogen. The question I have is: How do you account for oxygen and nitrogen dissolved in the water before the experiment?

• Drgenek

You call your process the ' alpha ladder' and it seems to deviate from the alpha chain by the production of nitrogen. The question I have is: How do you account for oxygen and nitrogen dissolved in the water before the experiment?

I suspect the equation to be 3He = C for an arc in inert gases which consumes He. 12 nucleons in and 12 nucleons out. If water were in the reaction mixture the low barrier to fusion for hydrogen and high phat absorption for oxygen would yield nitrogen as above at least until the water is depleted.

Given your question is about an arc in water to produce AquaFuel. Then even if water is saturated with oxygen, its oxygen content at 25 C at 1 atm is only 1.26 mmol O2/liter (value from table). Since a liter of water is 55.5 moles of water, it is 27.8 moles of O2. Then 0.00126 moles is insignificant compared to 27.8 moles. It is not surprising that nitrogen already present in water versus made De Novo is also not significant. Therefore, a mass balance based on oxygen coming from air or water and nitrogen from atmosphere or nuclear reaction covers the possibilities. Therefore, the mass balance which indicate that of the 56 % of nitrogen in the arc gas originates from nuclear reaction is accurate.

• NASA/TM–20210016143

Frontiers of Space Power and Energy

Dennis M. Bushnell, Robert W. Moses, and Sang H. Choi

Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/cita…A-TM-20210016143final.pdf

July 2021

LENR

Revived (after experiments earlier in the 1900s) in the late 1980s [ref. 28] and dubbed “Cold Fusion,” what is now usually termed LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reactions) was an experimental discovery with replication issues at the time and lacked an acceptable theory.

Now, three decades of extant worldwide experiments [ref. 29] indicate “something nuclear” is real.

However, there does not yet exist a cogent, verified theory and therefore LENR has been looked at with askance by the physics community.

There are now extant recent weak force and other weak neutron-based theories (not “hot” fusion) involving surface plasmons, electroweak interactions explicable via QED on surfaces, collective effects, heavy electrons, ultraweak neutrons, and utilizing neutron generation to obviate coulomb barrier issues.

There are now many patents and LENR is beginning to evolve into the marketplace. Given a validated theory to engineer, scale, and make safe, LENR would obviously be a major world energy revolution,

especially with observed energy density levels surpassing those of chemical energy.

In fact, LENR has been observed in the tens to hundreds and theoretical possibilities into the many thousands times chemical energy density levels. In the Widom-Larsen Theory [ref. 30], H2 is adsorbed or “loaded” onto a metal surface and the resulting surface plasmon initiates collective effects.

Some energy is added and several types of energy appear to work. From the LENR experiments and a sizable body of applicable related research, nano cracks/asperities in the surface morphology concentrate energy over an area and produce high localized voltage gradients.

Such voltage gradients excite collective electrons to combine with protons in the surface plasmon to form ultraweak neutrons.

These neutrons readily interact, producing neutron rich isotopes which undergo beta decay and transmutations.

The heavy electron cloud converts the beta decay to heat, sans worrisome radiation and coulomb barrier issues, in agreement with experiment(s).

From experiments thus far, surface materials are required that adsorb large amounts of hydrogen (H2 or D2) such as Ni, Palladium, etc. Once operating, internal IR appears to be capable of replacing the input energy.

The LENR process occurs at surfaces or at nano morphology sites.

Generic LENR “products” from experiments include heat, transmutations, and possibly some radiation, especially during startup or shutdown where there may be incomplete coverage of heavy electrons to accomplish conversion to heat (an engineering issue). Also,

transmutation products can include helium four and tritium.

The three decades of experiments, lacking theoretical guidance, produced mostly low levels of heat. A few studies produced up to KWs.

Several experienced runaway when they evidently got it more right, which may be a greater morphological population of nano scale sites. When such occurred, sometimes windows were melted, fires occurred, even an explosion or two.

The experiments are now reproducible.

From three decades of many hundreds of, in many cases very detailed and careful experiments with redundant measurement approaches, positive results occurred over a relatively wide range of conditions/materials and energy input approaches.

LENR is apparently a non-obvious multistage process involving the weak force. Initial claims of “cold fusion” poisoned the well and became the energetics third rail.

There was also lack of validated physics understanding and usually only low heat levels produced.

There was also a dearth of experiments focused on validating theory (or not), mostly variations on previous experiments vice the basic physics and efforts to identify such.

It was often considered simply too good to be true…incredulity.

There were observations, beginning in the 1600s, and still ongoing, of transmutations including silicon, carbon, magnesium, potassium into calcium, and many others in biological systems.

Experiments, many carefully done, were conducted before the late 1980s primarily in France, Germany, and Russia.

These cited transmutations observed occurring in plants, seeds, bacteria, microorganisms, and mammals.

An oft cited instantiation is the calcium shell on chicken eggs. If calcium is withheld in the diet, apparently mica and potassium are transmutated. If these are absent, there are no shells.

This occurs with no observed heat or radiation.

From refs 31 and 32, the LENR effect has been replicated hundreds of times while using different materials and five different methods of energy addition.

Each method is found to produce energy well in excess of any plausible chemical source and that is correlated with identified nuclear products.

LENR patent holders include: Airbus, Google, Leonardo, Brillouin, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Widom-Larsen, Boeing, MIT, and the U.S. Navy.

LENR produces heat, which can be utilized directly or converted to electricity via such as Sterling Cycles, Thermoelectrics, Pyroelectrics, T-PV, Etc.

Recent research in Japan via long and careful experimentation, has proven that a major “missing controlled parameter” in the decades now of previous LENR research is the requirement for nano sized discrete surface morphology.

As already noted, that enables localized energy concentration by orders of magnitude.

Major organizations (including Google) are now conducting research aimed at understanding and sorting out sensitivities and optimization.

The major issues going forward include development of a viable, proven theory to allow engineering, scaling, and safety.

Given that, which at this point appears to be a work in progress, much with regard to power and energy could change, for climate/transportation/HVAC, energy costs overall, and in-space for propulsion, habs, ISRU, on

body transportation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.