Frank Gordon / Harper Whitehouse - the LEC -collected papers

• Thank you Shane D. right that is a good report... some difficulties to translate it in french by deepl , need to well understand all the works.

Anyway, in my mind electric current can be only generated by beta reactions, now, does it exists another thoughts to explain that ?

All the possibilities are not related unfortunately.

Excellent paper. I highly recommend it for our many laypeople to read. If you want to know the background of direct electricity conversion as applied to LENR, the science behind it, terms, people involved prior to the LEC, there is no better summary around. Thanks go to David Nagel for putting this together.

• I have been looking at the economics of using Pd for making LECs for general use as a small part of an article I am writing. The outlook is not good IMHO.

Consistently good and durable working electrodes for LECs are made using palladium co-deposition in lithiated light water, but to meet the challenge that the LEC research group has set itself, to bring LED lighting and more to the almost 1Bn people who depend on kerosene to light their homes, we need make LECs from less expensive and more abundant materials than Pd. This is because global production of Pd is around 250 tonnes p.a, at a current price of $35M/tonne and making 250M LECs with 1 gram of Pd in each would use all of it. With this in mind, the following pages look at earlier research onto the use of nickel in sheet and particulate form as a WE material, Current global production of nickel is 2.8M tonnes p.a. at a price of $20,000.tonne. Quite a difference in that Ni is 1,750 times less expensive and 10,000 times more abundant.

In their 1996 technical memorandum “Replication Of The Apparent Excess Heat Effect In A Light Water-Potassium Carbonate-Nickel Electrolytic Cell” the authors, Niedra, Myers, Fralick and Baldwin report:-

“The existence of an excess heat effect in electrolytic cells based on a platinum (coated) anode and a nickel cathode immersed in a light-water solution of K2CO3 was first reported by R.L. Mills and S.P. Kneizys, although the possibility was stated earlier by S. Pons et al. in a patent application. The effect was soon verified by V.C. Noninski and continues as an active topic of research at numerous laboratories. Prevailing experience has it that only rarely do the light-water cells using either K2CO3 or Rb2CO3 fail to produce at least some apparent excess heat immediately upon electrolysis, although full power may take months to develop. In contrast, cells based on Pd and D2O often remain inactive for many days and require very careful selection and loading of the Pd.”

That K2CO3, potassium carbonate, is described as an effective electrolyte in many similar reports is fortunate, it is readily available and of very low toxicity. The global price of K2CO3 is generally below $2/kg. In contrast, PdCl2, the electrolyte of choice for most Pd electrolysis costs around $80,000/kg.

• I have been looking at the economics of using Pd for making LECs for general use as a small part of an article I am writing. The outlook is not good IMHO.

I do not think this matters. If the LEC works at all, and if we can convince the general public that it works, it will attract massive funding. A theory will probably emerge explaining how it works. That should allow people to use nickel or some other inexpensive metal. The power density may not be as good as palladium, but I think it will work.

At this stage in the development, I think there is no point to speculating about how the LEC might be made practical, or what the economics of it might be. This would be like projecting the future of transistors when only germanium was used, before silicon transistors were invented. Silicon was a much better choice. But it took a while before problems with it could be solved.

• The power density may not be as good as palladium, but I think it will work.

So do I and many other scientists since Stanley Pons. But that's not it. If internal combustion engines could only be made from gold and transistors from 5-carat diamonds we would all be using steam cars and listening to 6-valve superhet radios. (remember those?).

• Indeed you might be able to get away with that- but currently Frank has been using Pd co-deposited onto Pd mesh. I think nanograms is optimistic btw- but current versions need a lot of electrode area to produce the 3 watts we would like to get.- and Pd is very dense.

• So do I and many other scientists since Stanley Pons. But that's not it. If internal combustion engines could only be made from gold and transistors from 5-carat diamonds

I do not understand your point. You say that you and Pons both felt that something other than Pd will work. So why are you saying it will be expensive? Probably Ni or Ti will work. Perhaps Au, which is available in larger amounts than Pd. Au or Pd would be in a thin film.

Even if Pd is needed, perhaps only as much as is used in a catalytic converter would be needed. ~25 quads of heat pass over catalytic converters. About 25% of all energy in the U.S. Catalytic converters use about half the Pd, in thin film. I assume that a cold fusion device could produce the same power density and temperature as the gas that passes over a converter. The thin film survives the high temperatures. So I guess it would survive energy production in the Pd itself at approximately that level. The duty cycle (hours of use per day) for an automotive catalytic converter is very low. Maybe an hour or two per day on average? So with a longer duty cycle (4 to 8 hours) you might be able to generate all of the heat we use with that much Pd. That is a crude estimate, but I think it makes sense. The cost would be about as much as we spend on catalytic converters in total.

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/sites/flowcharts/files/2023-10/US%20Energy%202022.png

• Indeed you might be able to get away with that- but currently Frank has been using Pd co-deposited onto Pd mesh.

What he is doing now may be very different from what a practical device does. I do not think you can draw any conclusions from it about a practical device. Look at the first transistor, a point contact device. It did not last long. It was soon replaced by the junction transistor.

8.2 The point-contact transistor | Bit by Bit

• Anthropocene Podcast with Harper Whitehouse.

About Harper J. Whitehouse

Harper J. Whitehouse specializes in modern digital signal processing (DSP) using mathematically robust computational algorithms, with interdisciplinary interests in fields such as physics, mathematics, and electrical engineering. As an Adjunct Professor, Harper taught mathematical signal processing at Stanford, Washington University in St. Louis, and the University of Queensland. After a highly successful career at the Navy Laboratory and developing several patents in acoustics, Harper retired in 2000. In 2009, Harper joined Frank Gordon to pursue the development of low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR), where his contributions include the development of a special instrumentation approach for the real-time measurement of the Thevevin equivalent circuit of an LENR self-sustaining energy cell. Whitehouse has over 50 issued US patents and authored many technical papers and book chapters in several fields of study.

Harper Whitehouse: The Cold Fusion Challenge - Solid State Fusion Discovery

• Email extract (from me.)

I think the important thing is that we both see that LECs are probably way more complex than we (certainly me) imagined a few years ago, and there are a lot of factors to consider. In no particular order these are ones I can think of. Knowing Harper he is probably ahead of me on this Emoji as usual.

H- fusion

Fusion-related and unrelated photon emissions including UV.

Electron Emission/positron emission

Diffusion Effects

Space Charge effect (capacitor effect)

Electron work function changes due to hydrogenation ditto positron/positronium work function changes (perhaps)

Electrolytic currents - caused by unknown or unexpected chemical changes.

Anomalous Hall effect

Bulk charge vs surface charge effects.

Ed Storms electron cloud theory.

• I have the feeling that in 30 years we have gone from one extreme side to the other.. P&F explaining phenomena too simply than expected initially and you are now postulating for great complexity in order to explain maybe more simple things ?

• I have the feeling that in 30 years we have gone from one extreme side to the other.. P&F explaining phenomena too simply than expected initially and you are now postulating for great complexity in order to explain maybe more simple things ?

You are right. I like simple a lot, but the problem is that when you dig into the LEC the underlying phenomena get ore difficult to understand. Why do they sometimes change polarity? LEC's are simple to make, but hard to understand.

It is a cold fusion reactor, a capacitor, a contact potential device, perhaps a bit of a battery, an ion detector. That's what makes it complicated

• Thank you Frogfall. I put this snippet from Mitch's paper in because some of our own members have been wondering about photo-emission from LEC cathodes. Personally I also wonder about 'dark currents' " ...the relatively small electric current that flows through photosensitive devices such as a photomultiplier tube, photodiode, or charge-coupled device even when no photons enter the device; it consists of the charges generated in the detector when no outside radiation is entering the detector. It is referred to as reverse bias leakage current in non-optical devices and is present in all diodes. Physically, dark current is due to the random generation of electrons and holes within the depletion region of the device."

Attached is the abstract of another JCF-24 paper on 'Nuclear Batteries'. Frank tells me that the hypothesis re the soruce of energy is similar to something they have been working on.

See this one...

The Design of a Low-Energy Nuclear Battery

Ryoji Furui

Nano Fusion Design

E-mail: [email protected]

jcf24-abstracts.pdf

• Let’s recall that Ryoji Furui is a relatively recent member and he started a thread about his idea and revised his paper with the input from other members, I was happy to see his abstract in the JCF24 list.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Hi there, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to present my ideas at the meeting. I am grateful for the chance to enhance my presentation through our conversations here. I hope this can be the first step towards conducting experiments and sharing and discussing the results here again!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.