The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• Anyway - I understand Jed has a respect for experts which I applaud - but do not trust. I am not a 21st century "ditch the experts" type. But all expertise comes with its potential limitations and group think.

• LENR advocates can claim rightly that it was possible historically when the world turned against LENR.
    • Skeptics now can claim it is possible now (and historically) within the LENR community when a small group of expert advocates examine evidence that is ignored by the vast majority of scientists

Both of those factors stay on the table. Science gets round this by replications that over time become more definite, or by predictive theories that join together a whole set of definite anomalies into a whole. Groupthink is prevented by sheer numbers. For example in AGW there will be barve (non-political) souls who advocate mechanisms for lower-tan-expected an well as higher-than expected climate sensitivity. All these arguments go through the process of many people trying to find new evidence for or against them.

LENR has the problem that it has only a few people trying to find evidence for (compared to what could be) and no people trying to find evidence against. The latter because there is to my knowledge not yet a refutable LENR theory. And that is what puts off many people (including me). I am biassed in favour of LENR, but that lack of refutability makes my skepticism very high. Anyone reading the points about groupthink can see why I (and many others) will be ultra-suspicious of things that cannot be refuted. Note that the unexpected aspects of LENR, which make it frustrating to study, also make it impossible to refute. (Relative lack of replicability, lack of consistent high energy products well above background, lack of definite refutable theory).

LENR comes out of the shadows when various claimed anomalies can be related in a predictive way, or just one definite replicable experiment can be found. TG was looking for the latter. Well funded. If even one of the ICCF24 industrial groups has what they hope it would imply - now - a definite replicable experiment. For example a Clean Planet boiler that generates say 100% more heat out at kW levels than can be expected from the H2 in.

Industrialisation has many hurdles, but such a prototype, would make a definite an replicable experiment. In fact it can be tested as a black box, with multiple groups testing the black box in different ways. Replicable beyond doubt. Such a things, as a prototype, would convince scientists the effect was real and unlock enormous resources.

Those here (except me an maybe a few others who don't post) are all convinced by the fact that no-one (including me) can poke clear holes in the very many reputable positive results on the table. For Jed, and others here, that is enough.

For me - I do not know whether those many positive results are expert groupthink - nor do I have the arrogance to believe I am capable myself of detecting subtle groupthink or unexpected errors. I mean, I can try, I can look at possibilities that others (e.g. Shanahan) advance. The mistake most here make when reading my post is to substitute "I don't trust it because there could possibly be an error" for "I don't trust it because I know there is an error". Even for Rossi, where all here agree he is a liar, no-one can prove he did not have something. I know many here agree that he did (but not as much as he claimed). For the reasons above, a rational skeptic of LENR will be overall negative until a certain "reference experiment" has been replicated and tested to death, or until LENR becomes a refutable theory.

It is not popular here - but that is why for new science you need a refutable theory, or very definite everyone can see it anomalies. That fact is not group think, or hidebound conservatism. It is humility - because we know even groups of experts get things wrong, and the real world throws things at us which are unexpected (but not, eventually, unexplainable). Like UFO sightings, or apparently spot-on premonitions.

Anyway, if you are positive about the ICCF24 commercial stuff you can be positive that a 30 year old logjam will shortly be broken by a reference experiment which will be headline news. Without that it is fine for people here to be positive because they hope. It is worth their while understanding why most serious people will be negative. "I don't understand that" is not the same as "I have proven there is a nuclear reaction of an unexpected type".

THH

• As a skeptic, all I want is for there to be ONE experiment replicable enough for it to be rolled out and checked by different groups, where the claims for "must be nuclear" results are definite enough for any scientist to agree, where the various assumptions made to get those claims are definite.

Any of these experiments, replicated enough and checked, could provide all that.

Which is why I was so confused about your zeroing in on bulk Pd/D electrolysis. It feels like a dead end.

The elegance of co-deposition is that it seems to solve for both the palladium materials science issues and the requirement to load to a high level. That and it seems to be far more replicable. These alone should stand it in good stead.

Moreover, it purports to offer a whole host of phenomena for study: heat, tritium, neutrons and charged particles, transmutation, x-rays and gamma rays.

The characterisation of what exactly would constitute an ideal reference experiment for LENR is a question that I don't believe I've ever read a satisfactory treatment of. The 'ideal' would solve not only for the challenges of the science, but also the sociology. I.e. it should be relatively straight forward and replicable but also be unambiguous to people like you (I don't mean that in a derisory way).

And it should be able to 'travel'. I.e. it should be elegant and unambiguous enough that a high quality multi laboratory study, published in a reputable journal, could be replicated with relative ease in the reader's own hands. The reader could 'see it for themselves'.

Righes et al. (as presented by Parchi at ICCF24) certainly looks like it's in the wheelhouse of the above, though I note that they still fabricate their cathodes by some as yet undisclosed process.

Righes et al. aside, I think (rightly or wrongly) that co-deposition meets much of my above criterion, and I think it meets the requirements you set out in the above quote, too.

I think it's a real shame that Google never gave it the time of day, as they could have done exactly what you're asking for; which is exactly what I want too.

• Which is why I was so confused about your zeroing in on bulk Pd/D electrolysis. It feels like a dead end.

It aligns best with the possible theories (none of which quite work - but still), and it has more definite positive results of high quality from experts than other methods. It is only a dead end if you feel its rejection early on was justified.

You would think from Jed's comments that he and I were poles apart, but actually I agree with him quite a bit.

THH

• The elegance of co-deposition is that it seems to solve for both the palladium materials science issues and the requirement to load to a high level. That and it seems to be far more replicable. These alone should stand it in good stead.

If you mean as a an optimised better variant of those early experiments you use co-deposition I agree. I am not sure we know it delivers higher loading? It must be difficult to tell when the active layer is thin-film. However I see no reason why there should not be higher loading.

• It is only a dead end if you feel its rejection early on was justified.

I do not feel that way at all, your reasoning doesn’t make sense to me, and I think this misses my point. Though I might not have been clear, I meant this in the context of my definition of a reference experiment, which includes non scientific factors.

The experiment is extremely difficult, and to many, the calorimetry is terminally ambiguous. For those reasons it’s a non starter as a reference experiment according to my definition.

• Reasonable minds can differ, but I'd have thought that something like tritium detected in co-deposition experiments would be far more amenable to replication and unambiguous to a skeptic.

I do not know much about that experiment, but if it is replicable I agree it would be a good one. Tritium has a big advantage over excess heat: it sticks around. You can measure it weeks later, or years later. You can preserve a sample of the original material and show that there is no tritium in it.

Nothing is unambiguous to a so-called "skeptic." The skeptic will find reason to dismiss any results no matter how widely replicated or how high the signal-to-noise ratio is. Such people are not actually skeptics, but that is what they call themselves.

• The main thing to watch for is tritium concentration from the background tritium in the electrolyte - unless you get special low tritium electrolyte.

You do not need special low tritium electrolyte. Ordinary electrolyte is fine. You always measure the tritium before the experiment, during it, and after.

Heavy water from Canada has some tritium in it, from the production method. I don't recall why, or how much, but it is not enough to interfere with cold fusion experiments. It does not swamp the measurements. It can be measured and accounted for.

In the link above, the results are not definite unless it can be proven that the "separation factor" (how much the tritium gets concentrated) is as theoretically predicted.

1. Everyone knows that.

2. Everyone always checks for it, and reports the result.

3. Results always exceed the separation factor, often by orders of magnitude.

Once again, you state the obvious, as if no one else thought of it or discussed it. You give the reader the impression that you may have found an undiscovered error, when you are teaching grandma how to suck eggs. It is ridiculous that you think professional electrochemists do not know about the concentration factor, or recombination, or the other effects that you announce you "discovered." Do you not realize that anyone who bothers to read the literature knows everything you proclaim, and much else?

• Nothing is unambiguous to a so-called "skeptic." The skeptic will find reason to dismiss any results no matter how widely replicated or how high the signal-to-noise ratio is. Such people are not actually skeptics, but that is what they call themselves.

I had not looked at this article on wikipedia for some years and I have to admit it has improved a lot.

Pseudoskepticism - Wikipedia

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Heavy water from Canada has some tritium in it, from the production method. I don't recall why, or how much, but it is not enough to interfere with cold fusion experiments. It does not swamp the measurements. It can be measured and accounted for.

That is because the deuterium is separated from water by density over hundreds of cycles. Tritium oxide is also heavy, so it gets caught up in the mix. But the amount is negligible, otherwise they would separate it, because it's worth $30k/gram.

https://www.science.org/conten…arted#:~:text=This%20wasn't%20ordinary%20hydrogen,the%20price%20is%20worth%20paying.

• JedRothwell , Alan Smith , by what I have read THHuxleynew writing on this subject, his concern is that somehow tritium that is present in the deuterium (but at levels either undetectable or known) gets concentrated several orders of magnitude by the LENR experiments. If I understood correctly, he thinks a possible mechanism is that the electrodes absorb tritium preferentially, accumulate it and later release it by some random reason.

I haven't done the math properly, so I will just offer a hunch of why I think this thinking is flawed: the total initial content of tritium at the maximum level below detection is so small that you would require to process several lakes of heavy water to achieve the concentrations produced by the experiments where tritium was detected.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• JedRothwell , Alan Smith , by what I have read THHuxleynew writing on this subject, his concern is that somehow tritium that is present in the deuterium (but at levels either undetectable or known) gets concentrated several orders of magnitude by the LENR experiments.

Well, it cannot get "concentrated" to level higher than the total amount in all of heavy water used in the experiment. Which is what it would have to do.

The total amount used in an open cell experiment is the starting liquid plus the make-up water added every day or two, to replace water lost as D2 and O2 from electrolysis, plus a much smaller amount lost from evaporation. If there is X amount of tritium in all of this water, you cannot get more than X in the final measurement.

They measure a starting sample of heavy water from the bottle to compute how much is in each cubic centimeter. They can do that again after the experiment, because there is usually some left over in the bottle. So you have the starting sample and the final sample. You can send both to a third party to confirm the measurement.

I haven't done the math properly, so I will just offer a hunch of why I think this thinking is flawed: the total initial content of tritium at the maximum level below detection is so small that you would require to process several lakes of heavy water to achieve the concentrations produced by the experiments where tritium was detected.

I haven't done the math either. It is something like that. Not as much as that, I think. For the experiments 10 to 50 times background reported by Will et al., I guess it would be 10 to 50 times more than the tritium in the total volume of heavy water they used. Bockris et al. measured 10,000 times background. See:

Chien, C.C., et al., On an electrode producing massive quantities of tritium and helium. J. Electroanal. Chem., 1992. 338: p. 189.

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ChienCConanelectr.pdf

QUOTE:

"More than 40 reports exist from different groups concerning the formation of T above the enrichment.
    We have recently observed an electrode that yielded T at ~ 10^4 times above background.
    Production of tritium continued for three weeks and was intentionally interrupted. . . ."

(Yet another paper THH has not read, and will not read, but he will keep insisting that no one has thought of enrichment.)

• Just to answer Jed re separation.

In this case the excess was 1.6 - 1.9. Not OOM.

What do you mean "everyone knows that?" Tritium separation as a process depends on multiple variables, and unlike Jed the authors here were careful to qualify results - as they should be.

It does no-one good to claim certainty over things not certain. It is unhelpful to confuse comment on specific results with your idea that historic experiments have worked in a certain way. What LENR needs is a definite replicable experiment now. Not believers re-iterating their claim that many historic experiments prove LENR. That maybe true - or not - but it clearly is not enough to convince most people now.

As always - I am not claiming an undiscovered error. I am highlighting the fact (which authors usually accept) that experiments are not definite - have significant uncertainty. Seeing these experiments through the lens of a prejudice, based on past LENR experiments, that this is known to work is unhelpful given that prejudice is not shared by most people.

I need to highlight this because no-one else here does this and some (e.g. Jed) contradict it.

If Jed's view were commonly held, half the world would be experimenting now with LENR. So anyone wanting progress needs to look realistically at what is needed.

THH

• Yet another paper THH has not read, and will not read, but he will keep insisting that no one has thought of enrichment

No Jed. Do you remember what I've said before about the logic here?

I know that every possible thing I can think of will have been considered and correctly rule out by some of the relevant LENR experiments.

But, there are many such issues known. And maybe a systematic issue no-one ha thought of. And a few experiments that are juts based on mistakes.

In the absence of a replicable definite experiement you need to take all these results, and make sure that every single possible artifact has been checked in a given case.

Jed's argument is alwasy "everyone knows that - it has been checked".

However that does not mean it HAS been checked in every case. Such assumptions are what lead to groupthink errors.

What is needed is one experiment which without doubt has every box ticked. And then (since we always need replication) another group replicating it also ticking every box.

After that, we have LENR or some other unexpected and not recognised artifact.

The attitude of some people here (we know LENR is real, so don't need to check this stuff, because everyone knows it anyway) prevents anyone ever from getting definite replicable evidence. A shame.

My insistence of this is logical, and will be understood by everyone here who wants to do science rather than have fun with cult-like groupthink. And I stay on this site because I know there are people here who want to do science - even if predominately it is a fan-site.

THH

• We have recently observed an electrode that yielded T at ~ 10^4 times above background.

And this is exactly why the way Jed processes results - though psychologically tempting - will never be accepted by mainstream (= real) scientists.

This was one result - an outlier with 1000X higher tritium than typical experiments. It does not not make the case for those many other close to background experiments being evidence of LENR. In fact, if regarded as of equal integrity to the others, it actually decreases confidence because it seems very likely to be an artifact of some sort, and yet it is not clear what that artifact is. The results where retracted but people here claim this was not real and the experimenter did not think there was an artifact. That just shows me there is an artifact in these experiments that LENR experimenters (and others) do not understand.

The above argument is just common sense - and most people understand it.

Nothing that I am writing means LENR does not exist. It means that the skepticism shown by non-LENR people who bother to look seriously at the whole collection of data is understandable.

All LENR needs is something replicable and definite. So many possibilities...

THH

PS - and yes - LEC is replicable and definite - just although it is mysterious how that ionisation happens it is no evidence for LENR. It is evidence for something interesting and not understood. Happily, because it is so replicable, it will be understood. If that understanding end up being LENR everyone here including me will be happy.

• What do you mean "everyone knows that?" Tritium separation as a process depends on multiple variables, and unlike Jed the authors here were careful to qualify results - as they should be.

It makes no difference how many variables there or, or how tritium separates. You do not need to know any of that. All you have to do is measure the tritium in the heavy water before you start.

It does no-one good to claim certainty over things not certain.

It is 100% certain how much there is. They measure it. They do not sit there with a textbook trying to figure out from theory how much there should be!

If Jed's view were commonly held, half the world would be experimenting now with LENR

Correct! If it was commonly known that cold fusion is real, and that it is likely to become a practical source of energy, corporations would be spending $100 million a day on it. They only reason they do not do this is because they are ignorant. They do not know the facts.

What are you suggesting? That I am wrong because other people know nothing about cold fusion? Just about everyone who knows the facts about cold fusion agrees with me. Only a few people such as Huizenga read the literature and disagreed. You disagree, but have not read the literature, so your views don't count. You have no business expressing any opinion. All of your assertions about cold fusion are either wrong, or flat out nonsense -- such as this latest claim above, that we have to figure out how much tritium there is based on theory, rather than just measuring the stuff.

• I know that every possible thing I can think of will have been considered and correctly rule out by some of the relevant LENR experiments.

But, there are many such issues known. And maybe a systematic issue no-one ha thought of. And a few experiments that are juts based on mistakes.

By that logic no one can be sure of Newton's laws, or the Laws of Thermodynamics. No question can ever be settled. Because a person can always come up more reasons to doubt a claim. Heck, people claim the world is flat. They give reasons, too. The thing is, these "reasons" are preposterous. So are all of your objections to cold fusion, such as "it might be recombination" (even thought that's 40 times too small), or "we can't just measure tritium, we have to explain how it got there." Plus, your doubts do not get a free pass. You have to support them with as much rigor as the cold fusion researchers support their claims. Which you have never done. A negative view does not win by default.

In the absence of a replicable definite experiement you need to take all these results

All of the major experiments in cold fusion are replicable, and all are definite. Heat, helium and tritium have all been replicated hundreds of times, at very high signal to noise ratios. That makes them replicable and definite. Or do you have some other definition of those words? Being repeated hundreds of times does not mean replicable?

You probably mean "easily replicable." You would not apply that standard to any other experiment. You don't go around saying that Tokamaks do not exist because they are hard to make. Or robot explorers on Mars. You invented this one-off standard to give yourself an excuse to dismiss cold fusion.

• Another paper from Graham K Hubler, but on what seems to be classic electrolythic LENR, and calorimetry

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/364331220_Long_Term_Anomalous_Heat_from_9_nm_Pd_Nanoparticles_in_an_Electrochemical_Cell

reported on e-cat world too

I cannot judge myself.

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.