Biaco, a fairly new UK based LENR company that may be close to market. You decide.

• BIACO

Interesting UK company that surprisingly slipped below our radar the past 3 years. By all appearances they are legitimate, with an LENR based "domestic heating system" that is "patented and validated". Here are their latest results:

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/640ef3582a01cb423673e38a/642a872a1c6827fe822e08f1_1st%20Feb%20table.jpg

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/640ef3582a01cb423673e38a/642a844f62a9ec28e798e32d_CoP%20History-p-800.jpg

What could be called promising for us but not for Biaco, they appear to be in a legal dispute with another new LENR company named ENG8, headquartered in Gibraltar, over "potential theft of IP". Could this be the first such LENR legal IP battle (not counting Rossi vs Defkalion)? Here is the link:

BIACO

• Well, as always such claims are as interesting as the way that they are supported on the public eye is meaningless. I wish they would give more details as how the process happens, from what one can read it seems to be based on some sort of cavitation produced by electricity. Will try to read the granted patent, but it often happens to be of little help when so few technical details are presented.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Here is the patent. It’s a plasma arc system, Santilli would be amused.

ETA:

I thought I had been able to download it but my phone refuses to save the file. Let’s see if the link works for you.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum/Document/ApplicationNumber/GB2102818.8/eb2e72a0-fe9d-4af2-a3f2-682a172a46b3/GB2604853-20230405-Publication%20document.pdf

Link seems to work fine.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• By reading the patent, written in the necessary opaque way that most patents are written, I can see the electricity is applied to the water with electrodes that probably create arcing and thus “plasma bubbles” or more colloquially sparks, as widely known. This is why I say it’s a plasma arc reactor. As the water is consumed, it can only be that it is transformed into gas. Not much is said about it, one has to infer about. The patent doesn’t make any claims of efficiency at all, and proposes several ways to position the electrodes, which are more or less the obvious thing to do to cover all the bases and doesn’t tell much about which is the best. Is not hard to see how this could have been patented, knowing how patent process works, as this device must certainly get hot, so a heater it is, but also it doesn’t support at all the claims that are put forward about the COP.

Santilli and Richardson patented broadly similar things but they focused in the energy that could be gained by burning the gas obtained as the source of the high COP.

• This was the Biaco FAQ. (in June 2023, via the wayback machine, it is no longer accessible via the website)

They are very scathing of CF, and suggest their energy is coming from "flipping water isomers" (but then later claim they have no real idea of where the energy comes from).

They also can't make up their mind over what CoP to quote. It seems the supposed "independent validation" produced a CoP of 1.7 - but, as you can see above, they are claiming a CoP of up to thirteen, when nobody else is looking.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited 5 times, last by Frogfall ().

• Biaco are ImHO very sensible to stay away from theory and overunity in their patent.

Yes, the only successfully granted (and retained) "water heater" patents have avoided OU claims. But I suspect if the Patent Office found out that they were using the patent to back-up the sale of an "anomalous heat gain" device, it could land them in trouble.

But there must surely have been lots of simple "water arc heater" patents over the decades. There seems to be nothing unique about this one.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• No- this is basically a 'method and materiel; patent. The mcguffin here is the 'balancing electrode/resistive heater system which is I think fairly unique. But ask yourself this- do they care if it is granted 'as is'? I think 'probably not'. This stuff is for the comfort of investors

• A patent must describe a working device and how to construct it. But this are just pages full of wishi washi...

I read the patents and I agree they got granted because they avoided any fancy discussion of efficiency or energy gain. The device is a heater and has enough differences with other heaters to be considered of “inventive character”. I have written patent applications as a service to third parties in projects I have been involved, so am very aware of what is required to get a patent, the most difficult part is, generally speaking, to prove the “inventive character” of the patent. Novelty and industrial application are piece of cake, but inventive character is more subjective, and there’s been the struggle with the applications I have written (all of them on the biotech industry, nothing to do with LENR).

So, getting back to Biaco’s granted patent, they were written well enough and, as Alan Smith correctly points out, for investor’s peace of mind. Just by looking at the patent one can tell that this heater must heat, if it has a greater than one COP, is an entirely different matter.

• A patent must describe a working device and how to construct it

“by anyone skilled in the art” is the part that you are not paying attention to. Patents have never been required to be an instruction manual. And “skilled in the art” is vague enough to get away with the degree of vagueness that patents show.

• This is the Biaco FAQ.

They are very scathing of CF, and claim their energy is coming from "flipping water isomers" (but then later claim they have no real idea of where the energy comes from).

They also can't make up their mind over what CoP to quote. It seems the supposed "independent validation" produced a CoP of 1.7 - but, as you can see above, they are claiming a CoP of up to thirteen, when nobody else is looking.

Thanks, I read the FAQ's and would recommend others do the same. Very informative. Not sure I would agree they were scathing of CF, but they do mention the flipping of isomers by means of cavitation/bubble formation as a possible explanation:

"Water found in normal conditions is a mixture of two, naturally occurring, chemically identical, isomers. These are referred to as ‘Ortho’ and ‘Para’ water. Only main difference between the two is the energy stored in the molecule. ‘Flipping’ from one physical state to another absorbs or releases energy depending on the direction of the ‘flip’. This ‘latent’ energy is analogous to and greater than the considerable amount of heat required to be added or removed to morph between water and steam. Fortunately, the majority of water found in normal conditions is of the higher energy state so there is a lot of potential energy for us to unlock.

Our contention is that we are, through the light emitted during the bubble formation and collapse, creating the conditions by which we are able to ‘flip’ a considerable proportion of the water molecules to the lower energy state; thereby releasing the stored energy by which we get the impressive CoP."

But as you say, at the end of the day they admit not being certain where the energy comes from. Like Alan, I find that very refreshing, and makes me have more trust in them. They do rule out fusion however by testing for, and not observing, any of the radiations.

Biaco is very consistent in the FAQ's in claiming a COP 3.5 (350%). So not sure where they get the higher numbers. The independent evaluator (DR. Morgan/Brighton Univ) measured a COP1.77, but they stripped everything down to the bare essentials as a conservative measure.

After reading I have some hope they are on to something. Still scratching my head though as to how we missed them all these years.

• Fortunately, the majority of water found in normal conditions is of the higher energy state so there is a lot of potential energy for us to unlock.

If you read such garbage then all alarm bells should ring. In nature there are no high energy states that are stable...

There also is no ortho/para state as flipping a tetrad just produces a mirror that you then can rotate back to the original....

• If you read such garbage then all alarm bells should ring. In nature there are no high energy states that are stable...

There also is no ortho/para state as flipping a tetrad just produces a mirror that you then can rotate back to the original....

Then maybe they could sell it as a sports energy drink.

• A little story...

In the UK, in the 1970s, there was a rather mad-looking TV science presenter named Magnus Pyke. He was renowned for his presenting style - which involved him being very enthusiastic, and waving his arms around a lot. He appeared in a Popular Science show called “Don’t Ask Me”, which ran from 1974 to 1978. The show consisted of various regular panel members answering “scientific” questions from the public – either in the studio, or out on location.

I can still clearly remember one episode where some chap had written to the show about a device he had developed, which he said produced surplus energy from water and electricity. Magnus Pyke was duly dispatched to this guy’s house, with a film crew, to “investigate”.

We were subsequently shown this old bloke, in his shed, with a Heath Robinson (US translation: Rube Goldberg) contraption consisting of glass jars, tubes, wires, and electrodes. A water filled “cell” was sparking away, and the water was boiling. There was even hot water turning a small paddle wheel. It all looked rather crude, and the paddle wheel wasn’t a serious attempt at extracting power - it was really just an indicator to show that something was happening – with the main product being heat.

Magnus Pyke proceeded to explain to this guy, in a rather condescending manner, that the device could not possibly produce any more energy than was going into it in the form of electricity. As far as I could see, there was no attempt made to measure anything, or assess the energy flows in any way. This old guy, in his shed, was made out to be some poor ignorant deluded soul – who was clearly just too dumb to know any real science.

The scenes from that TV show have always stuck with me. The guy who built the device will have done his own measurements, and had clearly decided that it was producing anomalous heat. He was probably naive in contacting the TV show, possibly thinking they would carry out a proper assessment, but I thought his treatment was a disgrace.

All of this happened nearly half a century ago. It is highly unlikely that this chap was the first to notice anomalies involving water and electric arcs – and (as we know) there have been numerous similar claims ever since.

But if a simple arc in water is able to produce excess energy – how come we are still waiting for someone to release an actual marketable device?

• But if a simple arc in water is able to produce excess energy – how come we are still waiting for someone to release an actual marketable device? Display Spoiler

But is it a "simple arc"? It may be, but they do go on to say: "we take water and high voltage in, and we create a series of conditions whereby the water turns to gas and then plasma". So maybe it is those "series of conditions" that are what makes it work.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.