Doing electrolysis for a long time

• What happens for example if you do electrolysis for NaCl + water, with graphite anode + cathode? I tries this, and noticed that it produces H2 and Cl2 gas, but after a while there is some kind of balance, where no gas comes out of the jar, and there is still bubbles forming, but they get absorbed back to electrolyte. So what does the electrolyte contain? Also i have used acetic acid, and i guess more or less the same thing happens here?

• The graphite electrodes are not normally affected by low-voltage electrolysis, but at higher voltages you will see surface ablation of the electrodes and the formation of carbonaceous sludge in the tank. When you use an open cell- no membrane between anode and cathode - the first product of the electrolysis is H2 gas at the cathode and Cl2 gas at the anode. Also, the Na+ ion and OH- ion in the remaining solution react together to form NaOH. There are also competing sub-reactions. For example Cl is very soluble in water, and some will combine with the first product NaOH .to re-form NaCL. Some may also combine with H to form (briefly) HCl which will recombine with the NaOH to form -once again - NaCl. It's a circular thing.

As for acetic acid- I have no idea what you are seeing there. But in general, to do electrochemistry,with a clear objective you need to learn a little chemistry..

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.