Alan Smith Admin-Experimenter
  • Member since Nov 10th 2015
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Alan Smith

New draft paper comparing the LEC with a NiMH battery.

Energy density of LEC device versus NiMH
    A typical NiMH (Nickel metal Hybrid) battery is seen in Figure 1. This is a NiMH battery with the specifications of
    1.2 V, AAA, and 900 mAh. The average weight for this type of battery is about 10.9 gram. The NiMH batteries are
    mainly composed of metallic parts. See reference 1.
    • Steel cathode collector
    • Cathode cap
    • Metal connector
    • Anode metal grid
    • Anode and cathode metal powders
    The above parts accounts for more than 90% of the total battery weight. Based on the total battery weight the
    percentages are:
    • The Anode metal powders accounts for 29.3%
    • The Cathode metal powder accounts for 33.2%
    • Steel Cathode collector accounts for 20.7%
    • Plastic and paper are about or less than 10 %....continues.

ETA paper withdrawn - awaiting an update.

And here.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I suppose the oscilloscope will tell the voltages and cycle-time with the required accuracy to get at least the rough estimate of the input power.

I think that would require a 4MHz scope- the output has a lot of high-frequency jitter. Measuring such a dirty signal is fraught with problems. With a claimed COP if 2 to 10 depending on input settings it is possible to keep things simple.

We want to know if there's excess energy. If we start with a discharged device, and can measure accurately how much energy is being fed to it, and how much is dissipated as heat, we will know if there's excess energy or not.

I think Frogfall was thinking about an investigation of the device. A misunderstanding -The plan is a simple in-out test.

According to the simplification and functional description it is valid to assume that all of the energy that has been used to fire the cell (i.e. input energy)

has to flow through the resistor and can be measured with input-side calorimeter.

I am with you there. There is no free lunch, every mW the device uses comes out of the wall socket and enters the machine via the input side resistor.

j9381

I don't have a link for that particular one I'm afraid. Normally they use a thin gasket, which may be made of annealed copper or inconel for the metal-to-metal faces. One side of the metal face has a narrow ridge sticking up from the surface, usually triangular in shape, the other face has a corresponding groove. When the metal faces are bolted up tight the thin torus-shaped copper/inconel gasket is deformed by this and makes the super-tight seal. Copper is normally ok up to around 500C, but inconel gaskets are ok up to 1000C.

The quartz window is sealed in place with sodium metasilicate cement, often reinforced with ceramic fibres. The sides of the very thick window and the inner diameter of the porthole metal are usually ribbed to create more opportunities for the metasilicate paste to create a good seal. Metasilicate is good for over 1000C.

If you want to see more about the technique the easiest hunting ground is the website of a company selling vacuum flanges.

Rob

There is more than one kind of jet plane, and the flight dynamics and power demand between them varies enormously. In the interview I filmed with Professor Iwamura he mentioned that they are beginning to look at future projects involving flight, though I know no more than that. I do suspect that the first application of civilian LENR might be to power the auxiliaries in passenger planes, things like cabin air conditioning, lighting and all the electronics. Going straight to full LENR powered aircraft is a big step.

The first application of LENR - powered military aircraft might be drones, where the flight profile is predictable and there is little demand for combat manoeuvring, which is very energy intensive. The military will stick with kerosene for combat aircraft for a long time to come.

You mention hydrogen-power, which might not be required. After all the primary purpose of kerosene jet fuel is to heat the air passing through the engine so that it expands and leaves the tail-pipe at a much higher velocity than when it entered, thus propelling the plane forward. There seems to be little point in adding the weight and complexity of an electrolyser and the water it would need, plus a loss of efficiency (electrolysers are 60% efficient at best) caused by running many subsidiary systems.

Don't forget that water is only 11% hydrogen by weight, and while hydrogen has around 5 times the inherent energy of kerosene there is a lot of dead weight penalty on an aircraft for carrying the required water. It seems to me that it would be much more sensible to cut out all the intermediate processes and use LENR to directly heat the air as it passes through the engine. I think that this is possible for fan-jets as are used on passenger aircraft.

There is a further problem with burning hydrogen in aircraft- it produces nitrous oxides during high temperature combustion, and it seems that these are becoming the number one pollutant that is attacking the ozone layer.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090827141344.htm#:~:text=About%20one%2Dthird%20of%20global,that%20trigger%20ozone%2Ddestroying%20reactions.

There is a saying 'beware of unintended consequences. ;)

ETA. An A380 airbus consumes 3 tone of fuel per hour at cruise speed. So not unreasonable to assume that it will require 20 tonnes of kerosene to fly London-New York. That is energy equivalent to around 4 tons of hydrogen which would require loading it with 44 tonnes of water. Electrolysing this would require 38kw/h per kilo,= 38 MWh/tonne. So 4x38 = 152 MWh over 6 hours, roughly 25MW constant demand. How big is a 25MW power plant? Think 3 truckloads...

TM2500 Aeroderivative Gas Turbine | GE Gas Power
    The TM2500 gas turbine is one of the world’s most modular, reliable, and experienced mobile gas turbines. Contact GE Gas Power to learn more.
    www.ge.com

See what I mean?

You need to have a way to measure the power going into the unit. DC voltage & current going into the "pumping" oscillator would be measurable. You can measure the power loss of the oscillator as a separate item.

I suppose it would be possible to use a 12V DC PSU to drive an inverted to create 230V 50Hz 'synthetic AC, then it would be possible to measure on the DC side. Inverter efficiency is generally quite high. But I'm not sure why you doubt the validity of using a resistor in the input power circuit and measuring the Joule heating - surely everything passing through such a resistor contributes to the heat evolved?

I think the simplest way ei measure the output is going to be with a matched pair of resistances in a couple of oil baths- one on the input and one on the output. Scope traces are possible, but I only have a 1MHz scope, so they will be 'illustrative' rather than informative.

"The technology to seal the transparent reaction cell chamber (now the photovoltaic (PV) window cavity) to the stainless-steel systems did not exist until Mills invented it, and Brilliant developed it to be operational. "

What utter bullshit...the one below is good for 800C plus...

Aluminium powder reacts with Calcium Hydroxide (wet lime) to make Calcium Auminate and Hydrogen gas.. That is how they make foamed concrete - by mixing Aluminium powder into it, the foam is actually hydrogen bubbles.

Frogfall

I thought you might be interested in this email extract from somebody who looked closely at the Harwell LENR results...

...... If one still obtains an endothermic result (NEGATIVE Excess Power), then this indicates some other calorimetric error source. In many cases this is due to the neglect of the heat capacity term, CpMdT/dt, when the cell temperature is increasing. The Excess Power can be ZERO as it often is, but it should never be negative. Nevertheless, Negative Excess Power results were often reported by Harwell and other publications in 1989. Harwell, CalTech and MIT all omitted the CpMdT/dt term and Negative Excess Power results were obtained when the cell was heating.

Work on this is continuing in Hungary, and I think some test devices might be released to suitable labs for external validation. If anybody has suggestions, please contact me via forum email..

At the latter end of 2021, GMG announced that its pilot production and testing plant for its graphene aluminum-ion batteries is now operational, with the first coin cells being manufactured.

According to GMG, laboratory testing and experiments have shown so far that the graphene-aluminum-ion battery energy storage technology has high energy densities and higher power densities compared to current leading marketplace lithium-ion battery technology.

Specifications detailed by the company include a power density of up to 7,000 watts per kilogram, with testing confirming a cycle rate with minimal reduction over a 3,000-cycle experiment period – which included charging up to full charge and discharging down to near full discharge – at variable charging rates.

The company also said these results showed a very high cycling rate for the duration, with negligible reduction in performance and at a very high charging rate of up to 66 coulombs (amperes per second), which is comparable to lithium-ion batteries between 600 to 1,000 cycles at much lower charging rates of one-fifth coulombs, where performance typically reduces to 60% of original capacity. In layman, this means a much longer battery charge, immensely shorter recharge time, and a significantly longer life span.

"Testing showed rechargeable graphene aluminium-ion batteries had a battery life of up to three times that of current leading lithium-ion batteries, and higher power density meant they charged up to 70 times faster," said University of Queensland AIBN Director Alan Rowan. "The batteries are rechargeable for a larger number of cycles without deteriorating performance and are easier to recycle, reducing potential for harmful metals to leak into the environment."

With the possibilities that graphene presents, aluminum may see a monumental jump in its critical status, and according to GMG CEO Craig Nicol, "It is the technology the industry has been waiting for."