oldguy Member
  • Member since Oct 1st 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by oldguy

double-sealed with epoxy resin

Yes, they even sale "torr seal" good to 10E-9 Torr but it is pricey.

It is just clear epoxy with no plasticizers. -

If you use it, keep your bake out below 120C.

If you use epoxy, be sure it is the clear kind without "fillers".

Some are loaded with barium sulfate and metal - not good for such things.

Likely Typo: 10E-4 in computer scientific notation is 10 x 10^-4 = 10^-3. You probably meant 1E-4 = 1x10^-4 = 10^-4 = 1/10000

No typo- it is an the old "classic way" of writing Scientific notation see for example: http://albert-cordova.com/_science/exponent.html

10E-4 t is 0,0001 torr or 0.1 microns.

Notice many high vacuum gauges use the notation: https://mse.ndhu.edu.tw/ezfile…ST18-U8-pressuregauge.pdf

It seems you are living in the virtual computer world of notation and not in real life laboratory world.

oh yes, "purge" your gas lines with H2 or D2 before you connect to your system to get the air out of the lines before you connect it to the system. But I am likely "preaching to the choir". I hope you already know such things before you start.

I use a hydrofill station and a hydrostik for such things. (with a cold trap - dry ice acetone)

The hydrostik last through a lot of experiments, cleans up the gas (since it is a metal hydrogen storage item), and limits the pressure into the system. The fill station is a bit expensive but so are a couple of lecture bottles and regulators.

If you don't use a cold trap and don't do a system bake out (or vary long vacuum clean outs) you will see water (and some N2) in the RPG. Also you might notice that the vacuum down of the system kind of stops at around 20 or so C due to water vapor (H reacting with O2 on the SS surfaces). Not to worry, heat the system and pump for a day or two.

Again, be sure to use metal gaskets, conflat or VCR fittings, or you may have trouble getting to 10E-8 torr. High purity bellow valves are preferred.

Good luck and do your homework.

If you generate the D2 by electrolysis, be sure to use a cold trap.

You might use an oil pump for rough, and some can get to 10E-4 t but if you use them you need a foreline trap, inline molecular sieve filter or something similar.

I personally would suggest you avoid oil based pumps (even high end ones like DUOSEAL) and use a dry scroll for your roughing pump.

@Jed,

Properly stored is the key. Most people use the cheapest storage media available, store them somewhere inappropriate (like the attic or crawl space ) and do not have enough backups. Things are improving, but that does not help the stuff from 1980 to now that are slowly demagnetizing, oxidizing and depolymerizing, and live on floppy discs that the labels fell off of.

(Sorry for OT again...)

Perhaps it is time for me to convert that stack of IBM 360 computer cards I have stored in the attic.... oh and that cigar box of paper tape. (I really still have such things)

OH yes, when you get a mass spec or RGA (my choice for such things) be sure that your pump will get low enough. You usually will need to get to 10E-4 torr or better to run most of them (to high and you burn out your bulb if not automatically controlled). The turbovac can be fitted with sensors for RGA/s.

If $$ is not critical, you may want to check out bake out systems - if you go with Ideal vacuum co, they can set you up on such things (no, I have no $$ interest with them). a reasonable US supplier of Leybold pumps, other distrib. for EU.

If you don't bake out, try an electric blanket over the system and pump down for a few days on the assembly put in some H2 and pump again to react any O2 on the walls.

It might be that it is not the temperature of the mesh but the temperature gradient through it. That is a flux of phonons from the heater element through the material into the pipe. There have been experiments that require a thermal gradient to work or a flow of D's through the material.

I wonder if I can lay my hands on a used or discarded lecture bottle, and if I can clean/purge it, if Cambridge would charge it with Deuterium gas.

Alan Smith Are you electrolyzing the D2O like the Fusor people sometimes do?

Although I sometimes use lecture bottles, I often use:

https://www.fuelcellstore.com/horizon-hydrostik-pro-fch-020

a hydrostik charged from

https://www.fuelcellstore.com/horizon-hydrofill-pro-fch-020

using D2O.

it is a bit expensive at first but saves money in the long run and avoids all those pressure reducers.

So is deuterium added in any appreciable amount to the experiment during a run? I didn't see anything that says so apart from that the pressure is maintained something below 600 Pa if memory serves. It's hard to imagine a leak so large that significant amounts of deuterium are flowing in. I didn't calculate it but 3kW, actually 2.5kW added, especially for an appreciable duration, would require a lot of burning deuterium.

my understanding is the device was removed from the gas system and "capped" or valve turned off and removed.

does anyone want to address how the inlet and outlet temps are best measured? I am thinking of multiple temp measures (dozen? or so) on a metal plate with holes and average out the temps? Although I wonder about weighting the temps based on velocity out of the holes where the thermistors are.

any comments from you learned folks out there?

Polls like this are silly. It does not matter what people think about if he does or does not have what he claims.

It is what it is.

How about a poll on the boiling point of water? Is it 100C or 50C or 150C ..... it is what it is a poll will not change reality.