Mark U Verified User
  • Member since Oct 26th 2018
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Mark U

Nice try, but no. The power radiates from the volume, then through the surface area.

On another note ; I just discovered that the video gives the dimensions of the cylinder that contains the plasma: 10cm tall by 10cm across.

But this is incompatible with my measurement of the Ballerina on a sixteen inch diagonal video screen, where I measured the Ballerina to be 16cm tall. How can the Ballerina be taller than the cylinder that contains the plasma? So something is amiss methinks. Yet by happy coincidence, my ad hoc Ballerina dimensions of 8cm by 4cm fit inside the cylinder. The true size of the Ballerina is now somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps it is indeed around 8cm by 4cm, and I'm psychic.

I see what has happened; the narration would be referring to the size of the Ballerina when the video screen has 6 different images on it, not when the Ballerina is full screen. (It happened to be full screen when the narrator described the dimensions, so that fooled me.) So, measuring the Ballerina as one of 6 different images on a 16 inch diagonal screen, the Ballerina is about 8.5 cm tall, so my ad hoc Ballerina dimensions are about correct.

Right. So all the power radiates from the surface area, not the volume.

Nice try, but no. The power radiates from the volume, then through the surface area.

On another note ; I just discovered that the video gives the dimensions of the cylinder that contains the plasma: 10cm tall by 10cm across.

But this is incompatible with my measurement of the Ballerina on a sixteen inch diagonal video screen, where I measured the Ballerina to be 16cm tall. How can the Ballerina be taller than the cylinder that contains the plasma? So something is amiss methinks. Yet by happy coincidence, my ad hoc Ballerina dimensions of 8cm by 4cm fit inside the cylinder. The true size of the Ballerina is now somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps it is indeed around 8cm by 4cm, and I'm psychic.

How does all the heat in the interior of the volume escape through its surface area?

Just like in the Sun ; a larger volume will mean a higher photon flux through the surface. This will be a major reason why the Ballerina requires 14 shade protection ; same type that is required for looking at an eclipse.

If you look at original video starting around 3:3, it is quite clear that it is camera that is moving around since while area moves (look for example left half of the screen).
    It was stated in the video that if you have certain size monitor (was it 22 inch? I don't remember), the ballerina you see is presented as actual size. Or something like that.

OK. I just went to the video at http://ecatskdemo.com/vidRaw.html

At about the 17 minute mark the narrator starts talking about the Ballerina dimensions. If the 'screen' is 16 inches the Ballerina will be actual size. My screen is bigger so I made sure the diagonal of the video player screen was 16 inches. I just measured the height of the Ballerina with my ruler and she is 16 cm.

Now let's do a very conservative calculation for the power output of the Ballerina. No spectrometer, no blackbody assumptions, no emissivity assumptions.

Let's say that the Ballerina is only 8cm tall and 4cm across, and is roughly cylindrical.

What is the volume of the Ballerina? The formula for the volume of a cylinder is

πr^2h ; This yields a volume of π*2^2*8 =~ 100cm^3

What is the volume of a candle flame? Let's say such a flame is about 2cm high and 1cm across at the base and is roughly conical in shape. The formula for such a volume is

πr^2*h/3 ; This yields a volume of π*(.5)^2*2/3 =~ .5cm^3.

So the Ballerina has about 200 times the volume of a candle flame.

Most of the energy of light of a candle is in the infrared ; let's assume a candle photon has an average wavelength of 1000nm. Let's assume a Ballerina photon has an average wavelength of 500nm. So the average photon energy of the Ballerina is 2 times that of a candle. Let's assume that the average photon density of the Ballerina to be the same as a candle flame.

A candle flame gives off roughly 50 watts of power. Given the above conservative estimates, the Ballerina is giving off 50 Watts * 200 * 2 = 20kW of power.

Again, the Ballerina is giving off roughly 20kW of power. This is consistent with what Rossi is claiming.

Argon ,

If you watch the full screen segment of the ballerina, the background clearly moves along with the glowy part.

Definitely the camera is moving, and probably almost all, (if not all), of the ballerina movement is caused by camera movement.

This is interesting, because I don't perceive the camera moving at all. Rather I see the the plasma doing a restrained, fairly regular, yet subtly chaotic type of oscillation.

Does anyone know: How tall is the ballerina?

Mark U

How in the world would you know what Rossi does, how hard he works and how he lives? What does "I hardly doubt..." mean?

I meant 'highly' doubt, not 'hardly' doubt. Sorry.

Regarding Rossi and how he lives and works : I don't 'know', rather I said 'I think'. He seems like an incredibly intense and focussed individual, from his endurance running as a young man, onward. He seems like a lean and mean workaholic and doesn't strike me as a wine and dine type at all.

I'm presuming but if anyone is motivated and equipped to experiment along those lines, it's Russ George.

So you give opinions about Rossi's goodness and humanity based on an acolyte's book, and video interviews with the perpetrator? Good going!

There is no need to read summaries, the whole pre-trial transcript (there was no trial, BTW!) is on line and you can read whatever part you wish.

What summaries did you read of the trial? Rossi's?

I read much of what Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote. Great writing, experience and insight.

So the ends justify the means? I agree in some circumstances, when life, individually or globally, is in danger (and other circumstances), but rarely is that the case. May I steal your child's lunch money or college education fund in order to give money to a homeless charity -- I think we would all generally say no. Regardless, Rossi has never been faced with that decision. In IH he had someone who invested over 10 million dollars, but Rossi conned, cheated and defrauded them. None of that was necessary for Rossi to develop his "magnificence."

As to the claim that he received 10 million why does he need to continue grifting? First, Uncle Sam took his bite of the 10 million, second, I suspect that Rossi believed he could continue conning IH and was counting on the additional hundreds of millions that he was going to get and probably spent a fair amount of it, not just on condos in Miami but also on fine dining and the good life, and third, and most primary in my view, is that once a conman you just can't retire -- it's in your blood.

I had to look up what 'grifting' means. Good to know. You will notice that Rossi's condo, where he did his presentation, was not adorned with granite flooring. I hardly highly doubt he wines and dines. I think he works hard and lives modestly.

You wrote "So the ends justify the means?" You just got the bingo. If you have time google that expression, combined with the words "philosopher" and "Italy" and it may send you venturing down the rabbit hole where I recently came from.

There is not child involve here.

Would you lie and deceive over and over again just to make money with a thing?

My perspective is that this is not about greed at all. Rossi is much too enlightened and evolved for greed to be the motivation. Again, my perspective.

Uhho boy. Every once in a while, it seems necessary to review Rossi's past history for those who seemingly have never read it. In brief, here is what this noble and good man has done in his entire career that we know about:

In brief: Petroldragon, the devastation of an Italian province costing millions to clean up, the thermoelectric generator scam on US DOD, lying and scamming distributors and then boasting about it, lying about ecat production and customers for 8 years, suing Industrial Heat when the depositions prove he never delivered a working product.... and there is much much more. The main thing is, Rossi has never done anything noteworthy in his entire verifiable documented lifetime except lie, cheat, take money under false principals, and scam individuals and companies out of millions of dollars which he spent to buy Miami condominiums.

Yes, a noble and good man who is just about to give money to children with cancer. Sure he is.

I sense a touch of exaggeration. If someone chose to only expose the faults and misdeeds of someone in one avalanche of time it would look probably pretty grim indeed. In short, it would be in the spirt of what I might call 'fake news'.

Full disclosure : I have not been following Rossi too closely. I've read excerpts of Matt Lewan's book online, some summaries of the trial and some other online material such as video interviews with Rossi. For instance here's one where he talks about ... skeptics of all things. https://vimeo.com/69864491

You mean it would make him a fraud?

No, a fraud is a fake most all the way through. Rossi is a deep and true individual (in my estimation). Him fudging a calculation to agree with another one is not something so deeply dastardly as you seem to think. I think of it as Rossi having some whimsey with energy calculations, as whimsical as his hand written formulations on paper.

It it went against your morals to lie and deceive, but it meant that your child was safe, would you do it? You would, and it would be a very rational decision. Would it be greedy of you to want your child safe? I wouldn't call it such. It would not be in contradiction to that of a noble character.

Mark,

Whether one admires the man, or not, I think everyone could agree that the way he is going about this shows he is the worse business man on the planet. If he has something, at this pace he may as well not have something for all the good it will do the world. You do not save the planet with a 20% discount, and a customer base that -because of the strict requirements they must meet, won't be more than a handful. He jealously guards his secrets so he can selfishly have the world market all to himself, yet so incompetent he will never have any market to speak of.

BTW; Since you stepped up to the plate to defend Rossi, and Adrain hardly posts anymore, could you start calling us babblers? :)

For myself, I don't mind his approach, it brings out the human element. Reminds me more of the 70s. Slick modern promotional material are for those impressed by such. I'm not, really. There is a disconnect between the grimy energy underbelly reality of our society and the glossy slickness of promotion and the facade of information, and I'm not really a fan. As long as Rossi is competent to work his intuitive genius on a device that is good to work, I'm good with it. Nah I can't call you guys babblers. I'd be calling myself one too and I can't have that.

If Rossi has something, and if it really needs that Neutron Detector for safe measure, the SK probably should not be on the market. However, there is a part of me that thinks Rossi pushing the regulatory boundaries regarding such technology, may be good as long as no one gets sick, or hurt. I say that because being tagged as a nuclear device of some sort, would likely put the emerging technology into a regulatory category that would slow the certification down tremendously. It could then take years for it to work it's way into the consumer market.

If say, the Atom Ecology team's comes through for us, or BEC, BLP, Norront or heck...may as well include Swartz's Nanor in there too, and LENR becomes recognized and accepted as a viable and real phenomenon, having some SK's already out there and *safely* performing, may give the regulatory process some leeway to treat LENR differently than a nuclear power plant. Hopefully speeding it on it's way to a quicker approval.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, and risky, as basically it is using human guinea pigs to establish whether or not, it is safe. But hey, Rossi supposedly has one running in a customers factory already, so if they are willing to be part of the experiment...fine by me.

Russ and Alan and Martin are going strong. If Rossi hadn't got up so close and personal with his device he would probably not now require his hairpiece. These guys demonstrate the safety to me, along of course with their measurement devices :) From the rumours I'm hearing lately I would be much more concerned about 5G towers, but I need to look into that more.

Normally yes, but then he starts to calculate COP with the help of black body equation for a spectra that does not look like a black body. On the other hand dense hydrogen (like Mills) tend to yield most energy in wavelengths shorter than the 300nm he could capture so I don't know. Of cause the equipment that should be installed at the customer should lead to good proof, on the other hand the last customer did don lead to hard proof for a claimed huge COP. It's wait and see how things pan out. Today I would not recommend to buy an ECAT unless you are curious to see if it works and have the money to spend and would enjoy the excitement of having a nuclear device in the cellar.

Rossi was just winging it. His choice of wavelength for his calculation was chosen simply to agree with his heat measurements. It was misapplied, but I'm not really concerned about that. The important thing is the heat; the energy out vs energy in. About wavelengths shorter than 300nm, Rossi's spectrometer apparently only goes down to 350nm so it is hard to say if readings were accurate below that to compare with Mills' results. Mills however it's a different story. He is the master of calculation, unlike Rossi. And Mills (now) has pretty state of the art equipment and is measuring photon continua that are as you say well below 300nm, novel stuff. Yes we'll have to wait and see with Rossi's client success. I predict success and would recommend his product to anybody who can take it on. If it were a residential unit and I could lawfully have it and my furnace was on its last legs, I would most certainly get it.

So you will admit then he was lying all the time?

All the time? No. I think Rossi is a very good and yes, noble man. However, he will lie and deceive when necessary for the sake of ultimately developing a product. From whence comes this duality? Is the seemingly darker side of this tolerable? It's tough for people like myself and probably most people to tolerate it, let alone understand it. But I now think I understand it (I may share at a later time), and in understanding comes greater toleration.

Blue container? For better or for worse, that brings back a memory:

The new, much smaller blue appears much more manageable. It appears that Rossi has been making great strides in perfecting his product over the years. It also appears (to me) that Doral was just Rossi buying time to develop his Quark X.

Come on...is anyone really going to bring a blue container, with a Neutron Detector attached, into their place of business? Is there a consumer product anywhere in the world, being used as a space heater, that comes equipped with a Neutron Detector? What does the brochure say to do if the alarm goes off? Why is it even needed, since it is advertised as having no ionizing radiation?

Take a step back, really look at what is being proposed, and think this out.

Taking a step back, I think the outcome for deciding to attach such a detector is this: You're damned if you do and you're probably more damned if you don't. Such is life.

I did an even simpler calculation. I looked it up at Lowes and other sites selling HVAC equipment. As I said, you need at least 40 btu per square foot. 3,000 sq. ft. = 120,000 btu heater. This one is 75,000 btu. Not big enough to keep the space warm. That's with 8' ceilings. Higher ceilings would need more than 120,000 btu.

That's too simple. One must consider surface area, not volume. But the valid idea behind what you are saying is this: A furnace will have to be able to keep the living conditions inside comfortable. Sixteen degrees C inside is not comfortable. And that is only with 0 C temperatures outside. Recently it has been much colder than that, and a furnace needs to respond to this and provide the capacity for toasty temperatures inside a residential house when it is -20C outside. So yes Lowes' recommendation is correct.