JedRothwell Verified User
  • Member since Oct 11th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by JedRothwell

Of the COVID vaccines the Astrazeneca one is worst for side effects because of this blood clot thing.

From what I have read, there is no evidence the other vaccines cause blood clots. Astrazeneca is a traditional adenovirus-based vaccine. The others are mRNA. Only the adenovirus ones cause this problem.

It is ironic because some anti-vaxx people object to the newer mRNA technology, saying it is untested and dangerous. It has now been tested more than any other vaccine in history, with more data than all previous vaccines combined. The data proves it is more safe than the traditional vaccines.

The short summarizing paragraph on LENR starting from page 13 onwards does not refer to their own research which is a bit strange. It's worth looking at their reference list, indicating what has been on their radar while writing this LENR paragraph (including e.g. Holmlid).

It is a bit strange.

Should I upload this to LENR-CANR.org? What does the audience here think. I guess I should. I don't like to upload documents that are mostly off-topic. I think it annoys the readers. Maybe I should append a note to the top: "please see page 13."

Vaccination Crisis or False Alarm in Israel? 90% of COVID-19 Patients Fully Vaccinated

That is because nearly everyone in Israel is fully vaccinated. If 100% of a population is vaccinated, 100% of COVID patients will be vaccinated. They will all be breakthrough cases. There is no one else left to infect. The same applies to the U.S. Provincetown outbreak. Nearly every infected person was vaccinated, because ~95% of the people in Provincetown were vaccinated. Fortunately, breakthrough cases with vaccinations are almost all mild, with no hospitalization needed, and virtually no fatalities, unless you are already at death's door from cancer or old age. That is why there were only 7 hospitalizations, none of them severe, and no deaths.

Where the population is about half vaccinated and half unvaccinated, 97% of hospitalized cases will be the unvaccinated, and 100% of deaths will be the unvaccinated. In other words, the vaccine is very effective. Unfortunately it does not prevent as many Delta breakthrough cases as it did with the Alpha variant, but it prevents serious cases and deaths as well as it did with Alpha. Surprisingly, it also prevent contagious transmission from the infected person to others almost as well. You wouldn't think so, but that's what preliminary data shows. Apparently, the viral load in the sinuses goes down rapidly as the immune system kicks in.

In Provincetown, the local district and districts where the tourists came from are upscale and Democratic, so nearly everyone is vaccinated. In the U.S., there is now a sharp correlation between wealth, voting, COVID vaccinations, and COVID infections. The nation has split in two. Within Georgia you can predict vaccination and infection rates by looking at the election returns. We are quite safe where I live, but 20 miles away in GOP districts you risk your health and your life going to the grocery store. Everyone here wears a mask. Virtually no one in GOP districts does, and if you do, you will be harrassed and yelled at by strangers in the grocery store. All the students in my neighborhood highschool wear masks even outdoors (as I saw yesterday), whereas in Florida the governor threatens to withhold funding to school districts that mandate masks, and angry crowds threaten to assault teachers and doctors who plead with people to wear masks at public hearings.

It is true that 40% of GOP voters nationwide have been vaccinated. They tend to be wealthy people, or they are from moderate, Democratic-leaning districts in places like New York or Atlanta. They are influenced by their neighbors. In many so-called ruby-red districts, only 18% to 30% of the population has been vaccinated. Here is a map by county. Note that a county is larger than a voting district. With regard to COVID and public health, a heavily Democratic district might as well be on another planet compared to a Republican one:

Georgia COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker
    This is your state and county equivalent level look at how many have gotten a dose or doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. Click on a state to see how many vaccines…
    data.democratandchronicle.com

Because the Delta variant is more contagious, and possibly more dangerous for young people and children, those people are now in more danger than they were in December. The case mortality rate for a given age cohort will be the same as it was in December. They are risking their money, their health and possibly their lives to politics. To "own the libs." It is gruesome to say this, but in close races, with so many disabled and dead GOP fanatics, this might actually swing the election.

They are risking their money because GOP voters in rural Georgia districts tend to be poor people with inadequate insurance, and Georgia hospitals tend to be bloodsucking monsters that will gladly take every dime you have, and you car, and your house, and then send your account to a collection agency. I am not kidding. There are news stories about this often. It happened to two people I know, one of them after a week in the hospital in a coma caused by his military service during the Vietnam war. He was out cold and they did not know he was a vet, so they did not send him to the V.A. hospital. That did not stop the hospital from billing him for $90,000. Anyone in the hospital with COVID for more than a few days will pay tens of thousands if you are lucky and you have good insurance, or hundreds of thousands if you don't. If you can't pay, you will be bankrupted and harassed by collection agencies from now on. The agencies are not nice people. They come and take your car at 5 in the morning, and frighten the hell out of your children, deliberately. That happened to my neighbor.

It is widely noted that U.S. healthcare is the most expensive in the world, costing 2 or 3 times more per capita than any other advanced nation. It is also dead last among advanced nations, except for rich people. What is less often noted is that it is an extraordinarily cruel system, resembling 19th century debtor's prisons in England. Those prisons took poor people in debt and made their situation much worse, by preventing them from working. It was like pouring gasoline on a fire. U.S. healthcare does something similar, destroying the lives of people who are already sick or in bad shape. Making their situation far worse, without a house or an automobile, unable to work or take care of themselves. It is no wonder people are afraid to go to the hospital! People gravely injured in accidents, with their arms fractured or bleeding, sometimes plead with the police and bystanders, "Don't call an ambulance! I can't afford it!!" They can't. Just taking an ambulance to the hospital will cost you up to $1,500 in Georgia. Bear in mind that 63% of people in the U.S. do not have $500 in ready cash to pay for unexpected expenses or emergencies:

63% Of Americans Don't Have Enough Savings To Cover A $500 Emergency
    It's not news that Americans are terrible at saving. We talk about it year after year after year. New to the 2016 conversation, though, is the fact that just…
    www.forbes.com

It is not a wealthy nation, particularly with regard to healthcare costs. Only a minority, the top ~10%, can afford healthcare, where you have to pay $8,000 or $20,000 to have a baby even with health insurance, and far more without. (https://www.ajmc.com/view/how-…s-it-depends-on-the-state). Being hospitalized for COVID will bankrupt most families. The top 1% has $34 trillion in assets (30% of all wealth), and the bottom 50% holds $2 trillion (2% of of all wealth). This is a recent development. It was not like this in the U.S. until the 1990s. Most GOP voters, and nearly everyone in rural Georgia districts, are in the bottom 50%.

Top 1% Of U.S. Households Hold 15 Times More Wealth Than Bottom 50% Combined
    New data available from the U. S. Federal Reserve shows that the wealth gap in America has widened and economic inequality has increased in 2020 amidst a…
    www.forbes.com

"Although extremely rare, a blood clot syndrome after the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine carries a high risk of death and can occur in otherwise young and healthy people, UK researchers have found.

In those aged under 50, this blood clot syndrome occur in around one in 50,000 people who have received the vaccine, and that number falls to one in 100,000 in the over 50s, data suggests. But the risk of blood clots is much higher with Covid itself — research shows that more than a fifth of hospitalised patients with Covid have evidence of blood clots.

It would be good if they could develop a profile of people likely to have this problem. Assuming there are similarities among the patients. They could then avoid giving them the AstraZeneca shot. Or monitor them for an extra long time. If evidence of the blood clots or some related reaction shows up in the first 30 minutes, they could hold them in the clinics for an hour.

In the U.S., they ask you to hang around for 15 minutes after getting a vaccine. Any vaccine, COVID or other. That's what a nurse told me. I don't recall waiting around after other vaccines, but apparently that's the procedure nowadays. On very rare occasions people have allergic reactions, or they faint. Most severe reactions occur soon after inoculation, if ever.

Management of Anaphylaxis at COVID-19 Vaccination Sites | CDC

Routine observation periods following COVID-19 vaccination*

CDC currently recommends the following observation periods after vaccination:

• 30 minutes for:
      • People with a history of an immediate allergic reaction of any severity to another vaccine or injectable therapy.
      • People with a contraindication to a different type of COVID-19 vaccine (for example, people with a contraindication to mRNA COVID-19 vaccines who receive Janssen viral vector vaccine should be observed for 30 minutes following Janssen vaccination).
      • People with a history of anaphylaxis due to any cause.
    • 15 minutes for: All other persons

* Note: People may be observed for longer, based on clinical concern. For example, if a person develops itching and swelling confined to the injection site during their post-vaccination observation period, this period may be extended to assess for development of any hypersensitivity signs or symptoms consistent with anaphylaxis

Facts don’t convince people

People who support vaccination sometimes believe their own set of myths, which actually may stand in the way of getting people vaccinated. One such myth is that people respond to facts and that vaccine hesitancy can be overcome by facts.

That is not necessarily true. Actually, knowledge alone rarely convinces people to change behavior. Most decisions are informed – or misinformed – by emotions: confidence, threat, empathy and worry are four of them.

Yes. Other, less admirable emotions play an important role as well: mainly hubris, arrogance, stupidity and the Dunning Kruger effect.

Anyone familiar with the history of cold fusion knows this to be true. Facts don't even convince many professional scientists. Many people are delusional. Many others have no idea how the scientific method is supposed to work. Some of the DoE cold fusion review panel members did not know as much about the scientific method as I learned in third grade elementary school. I am not exaggerating. It was shocking! I listed the specific errors they made on p. 43 here:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJresponsest.pdf

Many people in the mass media have said we should coddle people who will not be vaccinated. We should respect their point of view. Criticizing them might have the opposite effect, riling them up and making them even less likely to be vaccinated. Apparently they are such fragile snowflakes, they can't survive being told facts of nature. Sort of like Victorian brides who fainted upon learning how babies are made. (Supposedly. I doubt there were many . . .)

I suppose doctors should coddle these pathetic idiots. Whatever works. I wouldn't know. I am glad it isn't my job to make them see the light. Insofar as it is my job to convince people that cold fusion is real, I try not to include arguments, opinions, politics, or non-scientific assertions in the main documents at LENR-CANR. But you cannot understand the subject without touching on politics. Ed and I decided to do that on one page, here:

2004 DoE Review

Obviously, we are no mood to coddle the DoE reviewers.

When I encounter a person who refuses to be vaccinated in person, I would try to be polite and not argumentative. Only because I see no point to riling them up. There is no chance I can sway them with rational arguments, because they are immune to rationality and they know nothing about science, as you see from what they say. Why upset people to no purpose? Their own doctors and loved ones cannot persuade many of them. It is like trying to persuade a Creationist or flat-earth believer. I do not argue with or scold such people, but I don't pretend they have valid points, either. I am not going to lie, or pretend their concerns are anything other than ignorant nonsense. A few months ago I went to get my hair cut for the first time in 14 months by a barber, rather than my wife. The barber is an eccentric in his 40s. I have known him for some time. I asked, "Are you vaccinated?" He said "no, my body, my choice." I laughed and said: "You're crazy. In your line of work, getting close to people, you are risking your life." He wasn't pleased. We did not talk after that, and I did not press the issue, knowing it is hopeless. I didn't coddle him. I wouldn't hesitate to tell any of these people they are suicidal lunatics.

This was before Delta. I wouldn't think of going back to the barber. Assuming he still among the living.

Some of the fanatical Death Cult anti-vaxxers are actually violent. I guess I would refrain from telling them they are suicidal lunatics! Here is a video showing them threatening a doctor in Tennessee. This shows the depths anti-science ignorance prevalent in much of the U.S.:

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: The term 'breakthrough infection' raises doubts about vaccines -- but it shouldn't
    In most cases, a "breakthrough" means a sudden, dramatic or important discovery. With Covid-19, however, the expression has been used to describe an infection…
    www.cnn.com

Individual NIH scientists can patent their government funded work and collect up to $150,000 in royalties each year.

You are right. See:

Information for NIH & CDC Inventors | Technology Transfer

That is a huge change from previous policies. That would not be a bribe. It is not an under-the-table payment in return for publishing false information about the efficacy of a drug, for example. A government researcher will not corrupt the process and destroy his or her reputation by publishing false information for $150,000.

good to know you don't care if I delete everything I see as inconsequential.

fun times.

Well, if you are authorized to delete something that you consider inconsequential, I have no objection. Go ahead and delete. You cannot delete COVID data, or cold fusion data, Hollywood information, or whatever the hell it is you are talking about. I still have no idea what that might be. The mysterious blue document with the design in the wall does not advance my understanding.

From time to time I encounter people like you, who seem to believe that other people can read your mind. You say, "you know very well what I mean!" I say: "No, honestly, I have no clue what you are talking about. Do tell!" But you insist that I know and I am pretending I don't. That is a Peculiar Notion. Why would I do that?

So why is social media news so rubbish?

(1) the algorithm - people are shown things they like which is (for all of us) other people with the same ideas. It means everyone tends to get a filtered view of events according to their political or other slant.

That is what I have read. It sounds bad. It explains the recent increase in the Dunning Kruger effect. Fortunately for me, I have never looked at Facebook or these other sites. I use YouTube to watch obscure lectures, old movies, and videos of foolish people crashing expensive automobiles, and launching ships that immediately sink, like Buster Keaton.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For news I go to newspapers, left wing and right wing. For science news Scientific American is okay, but you have to bear in mind they have some blind spots and extreme bias against some subjects, such as cold fusion and the Wright brothers. Plus they are conceited asses. Many leading academics have that fault. I would say they are know-it-alls, but they actually do know it all, or all that is known, anyway, so the expression does not fit.

You can always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much.

The Letter from Missouri article I linked to above ends with a classic expression of the Dunning Kruger effect:

“The irony is it’s not the dumb rubes in Missouri who don’t understand the nature of this disease,” Gregg Keller, a longtime Republican consultant in Missouri. “Missourians understand this far better than these supposed medical experts we’ve been giving tens of millions of dollars every year.”

Thousands of people in Missouri will suffer and die because of such attitudes. It is tragic. Decades ago such attitudes were less common, because ordinary people understood that doctors knew more about disease than they did. Just as airplane pilots know more about airplanes. Nowadays, distrust in authority has been spread and exploited by extremists, and uneducated people have the notion that they are competent to judge complex scientific questions. People who have no idea what DNA and RNA is, and people such as Mark U. who believe in topsy-turvy batshit nonsense. Their ignorance has filled the hospitals in Missouri with sick and dying people. It threatens to prolong the pandemic indefinitely.

If you are not familiar with the Dunning Kruger effect, see the 1-minute video by Cleese. If you are Mark U. and you are certain you do not suffer from that effect, you are deluded, and the very cause of the delusion is the Dunning Kruger effect itself! It makes incompetent nitwits blind to their own incompetence. That is ironic.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As its the only deceitful way they can continue to deceive,

hollywood.nasa,navy, news groups ect.

like you don't know already jed.

No, I have no idea what you are talking about. Let me again ask: Who are you talking about? Who deletes data? What data -- about COVID, or cold fusion, or upcoming Hollywood movies?

I suppose they might delete data in Hollywood. I wouldn't know about that. But they are in the business of creating and maintaining illusion, after all. The information they have is inconsequential in any case, and much of it is bunk, so who cares if they delete it?

Follow the $cience

As a rule, EPA managers and other government researchers are not influenced by money. They cannot be. They would be found out, arrested, and imprisoned. They seldom even have an opportunity to be corrupted. Government and military purchasing agents may be corrupted by the huge sums they deal with because industry people will offer them kickbacks, but you could not get away with giving a kickback to someone at the EPA, the CDC or the Census Bureau (where my mother was a manager). Uncle Sam would find out. Those are upper middle class jobs. They pay well: $110,000 to $143,000. However, if someone slipped you a large sum of money under the table, like a million dollars, Uncle would notice. No manager would risk his or her career and retirement for some smaller sum, such as $100,000.

Government researchers never get one dime from their discoveries, even when they develop profitable technology such as the internet. They know those are the rules, and they don't mind. As my mother said, these people are not in it for the money; they want to do the science. To put it unkindly, they are nerds. Most of them could get paid a lot more in private industry.

$143,000 is a lot of money, after all. It is not as if they are ascetics. But instead of pursuing large fortunes, they seek recognition in other ways, such as becoming Fellows of The American Statistical Association.

Naomi D. Rothwell - Wikipedia

It makes no difference that 25% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth.

I should not single out Americans. People in all countries are about equally ignorant, as you see in this table:

nsf.gov - S&E Indicators 2014 - Correct answers to factual knowledge questions in physical and biological sciences, by country/region: Most recent year - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

It is widely believed that Japanese people are better educated than Americans. Perhaps that is true, but the difference is not large. I have been following Japanese mass media for a long time and that is my impression. The public seems ignorant. The Japanese National News TV (NHK) is of high quality, with factual, science based stories, similar to the BBC. I think it is better than most U.S. TV broadcasts, but I cannot judge, because I stopped watching U.S. TV about the time Walter Cronkite retired. *

People have always been ignorant and ill educated. Perhaps that causes more harm today than it did in the past. Perhaps, as H. G. Wells put it: "Civilization is in a race between education and catastrophe. Let us learn the truth and spread it as far and wide as our circumstances allow. For the truth is the greatest weapon we have."

Arthur Clarke felt that way. Certainly there are many examples of ignorance causing harm, such as people who want the schools to teach Creationism, or people who do not think vaccines work. But it seems to me that most of the harm is not caused by ordinary folks who happen to be ignorant, but rather by political leaders and influential journalists at places like Fox News. Most of these people are well educated. Some of them do know the facts, and they are lying. I know that many of them have been vaccinated, but they tell their followers COVID is not real and the vaccine does not work, and their followers applaud them the way they applauded Greene. I have the impression that some of the other educated people really are as stupid as they seem, and they believe COVID is not real, vaccines don't work, etc. I cannot read minds, but they seem sincere. Some of them have been hospitalized with COVID lately, and some have died, so they really have not been vaccinated, which proves they are idiots.

The thing is, a person's intelligence is not one attribute. It is not uniform. It cannot be measured with one metric. The so-called IQ only measures a narrow aspect of intelligence. I have been working with ivy-league professionals, scientists, engineers, and other highly educated people all my life. I have met many who were very good at their own specialty, but they had no common sense, and they were dangerously stupid and ignorant of many things that I learned as a child. Many of their views are the kind of batshit nonsense Mark U. and others post here. Some are conservative, and some are liberal, but none of them "has enough sense to keep a ton of pig iron from floating out to sea," as one of Thomas Edison's associates said of Edison's staff. (Edison had some brilliant people working for him, but also a large collection of hapless imbeciles.)

* Except for local news when something happens in Atlanta, and I can report the quality is abominable.

Here are two magazine articles about people who resist COVID vaccinations. These are terribly depressing:

In Alabama and Louisiana, partisan opposition to vaccine surges alongside Delta variant
    Many people are turning down Covid vaccines because they are angry that President Donald Trump lost the election and sick of Democrats thinking they know…
    www.politico.com

‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated
    At the Lake of the Ozarks, vaccines are shunned, masks are mocked and the long-term consequences take a back seat to the time at hand.
    www.politico.com

It is hard to see how this can be overcome. It seems to me there are two main causes:

1. The GOP and other right wing groups are promoting opposition to the vaccine and other public health measures. You see many comments in the above articles confirming that. You see it in public opinion polls like this one:

2. The Dunning Kruger effect. Stupid people who know nothing about science think they know more than doctors and public health workers. We have seen many examples here, such as this comment from Mark U., which sticks in my mind:

Personally I'll take a few thousand live viruses to do battle with my capable nasal mucosa rather than have tens of trillions of altered RNA bits wrapped in high tech slippery fats and stabilizers, injected directly into my tissue, blood and lymphatic systems, that coopts my body to produce a toxic protein that my body may not properly associate with a foreign, real virus.

Any junior-high school kid who has taken biology and reads the newspaper would see this is nonsense. Clearly, Mark U. has no training in science, and no ability to separate fact from fiction. Normally, such ignorance is harmless. It makes no difference that 25% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth. Unfortunately, in this case, Mark U. and the others are betting their health and their lives on nonsense, and ignoring pleas from doctors. They are endangering themselves, their families, and the rest of us.

For those who still aren't mind controlled go understand the spike protein is what causes the disease - not the corona virus it was attached to.

And yet the number of cases falls to zero when people are vaccinated. And it is the same spike you get with the common cold, which does not hospitalize or kill you. How strange!

From an actual pathologist, so this is hard evidence.

So are the statistics showing that the vaccine eliminates the disease, and that it has caused zero casualties. That's hard evidence from millions of actual pathologists, actual epidemiologists, public health agencies, doctors and hospitals. So, why do you believe what this one crackpot says and ignore what all the others say?

Not anymore than the ones saying it is!

I am not sure what that means. Perhaps you are saying I misspoke. I should have said the Delta variant may be more deadly, according to some accounts. It is definitely more contagious. What I meant was: the lower death rate is entirely caused by the vulnerable population being vaccinated. Not because Delta is less dangerous.

68% antibodies => possibly getting close to herd immunity (given that, unlike vaccination, natural infection targets the people and places who spread most).

Herd immunity is not something that turns on abruptly at a certain percentage. It increases gradually as more and more of the population is infected and recovers, or is vaccinated (or both).

Delta Variant Far Less Deadly than Previous Variants, According to TrialSite Analysis

These people are terminally confused. It is less deadly only because the most vulnerable people have been vaccinated. The low death rate has nothing to do with the variant.

you can't patent physics otherwise we would have to pay for using gravity.

In U.S. patent law this is expressed by saying you cannot patent "a force of nature." That's old fashioned. I guess in modern terminology you would call that "a law of nature," or just "physics" as Alan says.

There have been some changes in what can and cannot be patented. In the 1970s (I think it was) the courts allowed a patent for software. More recently, the genomes of various bioengineered lifeforms have been patented, such as E. coli engineered to produce human insulin.