BEC Brillouin Energy
  • Male
  • from Berkeley, CA
  • Member since Dec 4th 2014
  • Last Activity:

Posts by BEC

I think the ARPA-E money is strictly for academic work to come up with a scientific description of the phenomenon. In reality, there are several different types of LENReactions. Brillouin Energy is following the one that I can see a clear path to commercialization. Furthermore, I think they are all quite multidisciplined in nature, So I hope the teams working on it are multidisciplined as well. I expect to file new IP this week, allowing me to work with one of the teams. If I can develop a strong working relationship, it is possible to design an experiment(s) that can reliably produce nuclear effects.

1. Please don't waste our time with never seen or suspected reactions. Also, 58Co, if made using neutron spallation, decays to 58Ni.
    2. You clearly don't understand thermodynamics, nuclear physics or quantum mechanics. Based on your logic the W boson force carier could not exist.
    3. Same as 2. Also, Rogue waves can and do occur in nature. The LENR heat reaction has been seen in industrial processes since the invention of hydrogenation.

The amount of power his method can produce will continue to be limited until he is able to effectively control the creation of the active sites, i.e. the NAE

Robert Godes may need to compare deuterium versus protium...?

As one may conclude by working form the the Quantum Fusion Hypothesis, adding some D2 does increase the the COP. Adding more the COP starts to go down. The QP is imparting enough energy to cause EC on protons (782KeV) but are less likely to localize enough to cause EC on Deuterons that require 3MeV. These are actual observations borne out in the lab.

I have been following the claims being made by Godes for years with dismay. I agree, he has made excess energy that results from a nuclear process. He has also caused transmutation. BUT, many people have made excess energy and transmutation without applying the current pulses Robert claims are required. So, why are such pulses needed in his case and are not required to cause LENR during the hundreds of other successful efforts? How is it possible for a current pulse to supply the energy and neutrinos required to form a neutron? Why are the neutrons not detected in great numbers as a result of the process? His theory also ignores all other observed behaviors reported by other people.

Nevertheless, he is claiming to have a method that can have economic importance. Personally, I would not invest in a claim unless these questions can be answered. We went down a similar path with Rossi that did not end well. Why would anyone expect this approach would end any better?

On the other hand, I believe the nuclear process requires the formation of a special condition in a material where hydrogen atoms and extra electrons can accumulate in order to create an entirely new kind of nuclear structure. The applied currents would help the required electrons to accumulate. However, these electrons are not making neutrons. Instead, they make what everyone else has detected, i.e. 4He. The transmutation product results when this unusual structure interacts with the surrounding atoms before the final nuclear product is formed. In other words, Godes has identified only part of the answer. The amount of power his method can produce will continue to be limited until he is able to effectively control the creation of the active sites, i.e. the NAE. I hope he would explore this idea before committing to a larger program.

Ed, in response to

1. So, why are such pulses needed in his case and are not required to cause LENR during the hundreds of other successful efforts?
    • No other group in the field has been able to take a catalyst from their lab to another lab and get identical results. Brillouin did that with multiple catalyst rods when we were working with SRI International. The Q-Pulse, along with many other aspects of engineering design, allows this capability.

• I agree with Dr. Storms's NAE concept, but that alone does not teach anyone how to form the NAE or build a commercially valuable device. I am an engineer, not a scientist. If something is not beneficial now, I will tuck it away in my mind, like the NAE concept. Now, NAE is a helpful way of describing things. Sorry it took so long to get there.

1. How is it possible for a current pulse to supply the energy and neutrinos required to form a neutron?
    • LENR is a multi-body effect as accepted by many researchers in the field. You must consider the Hamiltonian for the entire NAE involved in the reaction.

• Phonons are bosons (they can be in the same place at the same time). They also have lifetimes that allow them to accumulate. This is observed in the filament of an incandescent bulb that heats up as the phonon content builds when first turned on until it reaches a steady-state operation. Phonon lifetime also explains how things cool down as the phonons decay/die in the system, even in a vacuum.

• The energy required to effect Electron Capture (EC) is 782KeV. You can say that is not possible, as Rick Whitman of PNNL did when starting our TAP. The problem is, it worked. He simulated confining a proton and electrons in a box on PNNL computers. It results in ultra-cold neutrons, potentially even below 10-50eV. At these extremely low energies, they have incredibly high crosssections. I also worked with Charles Martin to produce a more extensive paper on the subject. See Confinement-Induced-Electron-Capture.pdf
    • If phonons represent all energy in the system and each phonon is 5meV, it would require ~1.6E8 phonons constructively interacting to provide 782KeV. This helps to explain why certain sizes and morphology nanoparticles are more likely to have LENR occur. i.e. they form a NAE. If they are too small, there are not enough lattice elements to accumulate the required energy. Other nonlinear effects also arise from things like the Lennard-Jones potential.

• If the average energy in a system is 35meV (0C), then every element has seven phonons associated with it. If the NAE where the reaction is taking place has 2E7 atoms related to it, then that particle can already have enough energy to run the reaction if they align just right. That is enough energy at 0ºC. As things warm up the number of phonons increases, raising the probability of EC by a proton.

• The neutrino's mass is so tiny that the system will pull the neutrino out of the vacuum.

1. he is claiming to have a method that can have economic importance.
      1. Yes, we are in the final stages of developing a commercially viable catalyst technology. The technology is in a form factor that easily integrates into OEM products.
      2. Subject to funding, we will get this technology market-ready in < 24 months.

1. Personally, I would not invest in a claim unless these questions can be answered. We went down a similar path with Rossi that did not end well. Why would anyone expect this approach would end any better?
      1. The questions are answered in this response. Any potential investor that signs an NDA is welcome to bring whoever they like to talk to and work with us in our lab in Berkeley if they feel the questions are not answered.
      2. Brillouin Energy is a highly open and above-board operation. I genuinely enjoy hosting smart people that ask difficult questions.
      3. Ed, I look forward to discussing this in person at ICCF24 and invite you to see our lab in Berkeley.

What we are seeing here does not prove a damn thing about anything. Okay, maybe there is more information in a longer video presentation, or a paper, but this alone tells us nothing.

You could make a brief demo more convincing than this. In this video, there is no way to know whether the input power to the Brillouin gadget produces enough resistance heating to drive the Stirling engine. The gadget could be acting as nothing more than a complicated electric heater. To demonstrate that is not the case, at very least, you would have show the Stirling engine not moving (or barely moving) on top of a resistance heater, and then show it moving with the same input power going into the gadget. That would not be very convincing. There are ways it could be a mistake. But it would be a start.

I do not understand why people do unconvincing demonstrations. It is worse than no demonstration. Arata did something similar to this, with a small thermoelectric gadget driving a small motor. It proved nothing, for the same reason this proves nothing.

I guess you did listen beyond 46 seconds into the video. The important concept of the video is the HHTTM is designed for scalability and easy integration into OEM products. The other part you seem to be missing is that this is not a brief flash in the pan type of reaction or product. It can be turned on up down and off on command.

1. I am unsure what you are referring to in the statement "65Ni was only "discovered" later".
    2. Cerium can not provide any information on radioactive isotopes.
    3. As the binding / nucleon in Ni is > 8MeV the Q-Pulse is unlikely to generate EC in Nickel.
    4. The neutrons formed are EXTREMLY cold. On the order < E-20eV and will not leave the Nickle lattice. They will only interact with the catalyst lattice if the catalyst has been deprived of Hydrogen. Neutrons, when they form are well away from the lattice elements. This is why most researchers agree that you must have hydrogen moving through the lattice, although most don't recognize why that is necessary.
    5. On "63Ni will not produce any gammas?". Never really looked at it as it is not of interest to me but sounds reasonable. I'm an engineer not a scientist. I only study what is necessary to solve problems in designing a product.

The evidence shows that the mass change produced by the heat-producing reaction matches the amount of energy produced. Therefore, most of the energy generated by the process ends up as heat within the calorimeter. The process also produces radiation, but not the kind that hot fusion emits. Although, both the required nuclear products and radiation are different than expected, they are clearly present. We also know that the energy-producing process only needs special sites in the material and increased temperature to function.

The nuclear process can be initiated with reliability without having to know anything about how the nuclear process actually works. Nevertheless, commercial use will not be permitted until the nuclear process can be proven to be safe. In order to study the nuclear process, the material must be caused to produce heat because heat is the signature of the LENR reaction. So, we're forced to study heat production as the best path to the eventual understanding of the nuclear process.

Now that I can cause the heat effect without fail, I intend to first find out how to increase the amount of power and then discover how the nuclear process actually works. I have some ideas worth exploring, which will guide my efforts. Hopefully, I will be granted a few more years to find the secret and a few more dollars to keep the lights on.

You say "Now that I can cause the heat effect without fail, ". Have you taken this to ARPAE? This is exactly what they are looking for Ed. I will reply to your first response next week.

Does anyone know if BEC will be presenting at ICCF24? I heard that they were, but do not see them listed as a speaker. They are just across the bay, so it seems business savvy to be there.

We will have a unit operating continuously 24hr/ day through the conference. We will transport it down on the Friday before and get it running before the start of the conference. It should be running at the start on Monday and remain running until we remove the unit to take it back to our lab in Berkeley. Brillouin staff will be on hand for most if not all of the show.

At Decay radiation information on 65Ni from www.nndc.bnl.gov < 40% of the 65Ni produces gamma > 1MeV. Even under conditions way outside the allowed operating conditions (Those of this test) the amount of 65Ni produced is small and inside a stainless steal reactor. The event occurred several hours before we discovered it had happened and there was no evidence of reradiation left at that time.

Gamma and X-ray radiation:

Energy
    (keV)
    Intensity
    (%)
    Dose
    ( MeV/Bq-s )
    XR l 0.93 1.99E-4 % 9 1.85E-9 8
    XR kα2 8.028 0.00187 % 9 1.50E-7 7
    XR kα1 8.048 0.00366 % 18 2.95E-7 14
    XR kβ1 8.905 4.36E-4 % 21 3.89E-8 18
    XR kβ3 8.905 2.24E-4 % 10 1.99E-8 9
    366.27 3 4.81 % 6 0.01760 22
    507.9 1 0.293 % 5 0.001486 24
    609.5 1 0.155 % 4 9.4E-4 3
    770.6 2 0.104 % 7 8.0E-4 5
    852.7 2 0.097 % 12 8.2E-4 10
    954.5 3 0.0018 % 18 1.7E-5 17
    1115.53 4      15.43 % 13 0.1721 15
    1481.84 5      23.59 % 0.3496
      1623.42 6 0.498 % 14 0.00808 23
      1724.92 6 0.399 % 12 0.00688 21

While this is great, the real question is, can you build more of them? How difficult is it to reproduce? Brillouin Energy has produced another catalyst rod that produces similar results and now have dozens of catalyst rods that produce clear evidence of 1.3 to 1.7. As we refine our manufacturing the technology we are developing moves steadily closer to production ready.

Well there are a few coherent sentences in there, not a lot of them, but then you see things like

62−xN i + xn∗ →62 N i

What? You have 62Ni that you imagine is smaller by x neutrons that you add in an wind up back at 62Ni.

then we have this winner that seems to be fission of 2 neutrons out of Ni64. That is actually quite endothermic.

"The main sources of the bound nucleons are
    64N i →62 N i + 2n∗ "

I honestly don't have time for this sort of nonsense.

Some one famous once said any publicity is good publicity as long as you spell my name right. We now have 15 people contracting with brillouin to move the engineering physics forward and that show brought several potential investors to our web site. Now we can get into the details with them so they can make a truly informed choice as to weather or not they wish to invest in the real technology that Brillouin Energy Corp. is developing.

You say above

Now I am able to turn the excess heat on and off on will

I assume you mean "at will". You also say

that temperatures of the heater are very same in both cases.Power was also very same.

So how do you turn it on and off? Our understanding was that T < 1300 C there was no excess heat and T > 1300 C is when the system starts to produce excess heat.

• There are a number of inconsistencies in there nuclear equations.
    • The input energy free neutron sources they are proposing are not rate controllable other than with shielding.
    • I suspect there is no functional device of any use as the last thing they say is "We hope soon more researchers will furtherly develop the exposed ideas"
    • I suspect this is a stab in the dark at the obtuse output from Rossi.

The article did not specify the units on the money raised. We received a response to the post from the author today with a slight update stating
    "
    The number is 69 mill NOK, which is around 9,2 million USD ( a little less in USD, but the conversion rate has changed since we talked, so it´s difficult to get an exact number), so this should be all right. There´s nothing in the article saying this number is in dollars - on the contrary it explicitly says that it is stated in Norwegian kroner.Unfortunately, it´s a massive undertaking to translate this entire piece to English and I can´t do that. But you may find most of what you´re wondering about through Google Translate, as you suggest. The article has´t reached our front page on the Internet yet, but it has been published here: http://www.aftenposten.no/fakt…i-et-helt-ar-8160528.html
    Regards,
    Per Kristian
    "
    Those new funds that have come in are already being used to build new evolution of cores and reactors.