about the mysterious customer

• Actually, I disagree. Not about the report, given Penon's track record, but about the customer.

You could of course be right. But equally this could be a shell company made to cloak a real customer with a real factory.

Mats thinks this:

Quote from Mats in email

No, I have sorted that out with some sources. The lawyer actually seems to have connected Rossi with this company, based in UK, setting up a company in Florida to test the plant, not wanting to expose themselves, therefore nominating the lawyer as president.

Setting up a new factory for this purpose seems a bit extreme, but maybe it was not a new factory...

I've never viewed "customer electricity bills" as validation. With this shell company structure and the real customer unwilling (and possibly by NDA unable) to comment it is not likely we will get "electricity bill" confirmation. Have you looked at the license agreement? It calls for deltaT testing of the reactors with TCs before and after the reactor. Rossi has done this before. Nothing about electricity bills. Possibly the input-side power will be measured with a utility electricity meter. It will be fascinating to see.

The popular view is that a large reactor with a real customer guarantees the results are real. That is not true unless the real benefit to the customer from lower power usage is substantial and documented. The shell company makes it highly likely we will never hear from the real customer, and anything coming through Rossi and friends must be treated with caution - Rossi has a great ability to mis-measure things.

Rossi's friend in all this is complexity - and the 1MW reactor with its hundreds of separate components seems pretty complex to me. So maybe there will be some new error mechanism, possible because of the complexity. For example some key assumption tested on a few components and assumed valid for all.

Rossi has never overtly lied, to my knowledge. Even with the substituted ash from Lugano I don't think we have a direct statement from Rossi that there was no substitution or contamination. And Rossi could well believe his own bogus results, even when from the outside such belief seems irrational. People are not always rational when their passions are engaged and Rossi I believe is passionate about his miracle.

I'm criticised for the above paragraph by people who think we must brand Rossi a fraud. He could be a deliberate fraud - but I believe from the arguments of many over the years, and my own judgement, that something more complex is very possible. I'm not excusing Rossi's behaviour. It is in my books very bad indeed, as I've always said, although whether it is legally so I don't know. We will I hope find out, but more likely not. It is not I think in the interest of any of the parties for criminal fraud to be alleged or proven. And it is not my inclination to judge this.

The LENR scientists make similar mistakes in their experiments. The difference is they mostly do not market them with the vigor and showmanship of Rossi, and they mostly are more open to reviewing work and correcting mistakes, as is proper.

• Official Post

The popular view is that a large reactor with a real customer guarantees the results are real. That is not true unless the real benefit to the customer from lower power usage is substantial and documented. The shell company makes it highly likely we will never hear from the real customer, and anything coming through Rossi and friends must be treated with caution - Rossi has a great ability to mis-measure things.

The real customer can be subpoenaed to appear in court and give evidence.

• Rossi has never overtly lied, to my knowledge. Even with the substituted ash
    from Lugano I don't think we have a direct statement from Rossi that
    there was no substitution or contamination. And Rossi could well believe
    his own bogus results, even when from the outside such belief seems
    irrational. People are not always rational when their passions are
    engaged and Rossi I believe is passionate about his miracle.

2011 fuel/ash: Do you really think that Sven K would have arranged for
    two instances of expensive sample analysis if he had known that the ash
    was faked. I know that he in May 2011 thought the fuel/ash was genuine.
    Since he got the samples from Rossi, the source of the information must
    be Rossi. That means that Rossi lied about the samples.

For readers not fully knowledgeable in the details: the ash contained
    separate particles of Cu which could not have come from p+Ni-->Cu
    reactions in the Ni fuel particles. An interesting detail is that the
    fuel powder is not magnetic but the ash is. Presumably an effect of the
    magnetic field of the heater coil.

• In overall, the lawyers of [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] will likely base their defense (and counter-attack?) on the credibility and words of this customer. Is this company truly independent of Rossi and Leonardo as the Agreement is asking explicitly? Do the boilers truly exist?

This is an important question. It makes me think that the customer is real. Rossi would be a fool indeed to initiate a lawsuit if the "customer" was a fiction controlled by him.

Penon does not have nor the independence nor the expertise to provide a sound report.

I can understand why people conclude that Penon does not have the expertise to provide a sound report (I have not yet had time to come to an assessment of his earlier work myself). But it seems the initial contract specified a single ERV, to be used for all of the tests, and Penon was in 2012 (?) assigned to be the ERV. If his only connection to Rossi is through his participation in this framework, I do not see how his independence can be impugned. Perhaps you are aware of other relationships with Rossi that would cast doubt on his independence.

• For readers not fully knowledgeable in the details: the ash contained separate particles of Cu which could not have come from p+Ni-->Cu

Can you elaborate on what you know about this? It is very interesting. I have long doubted the p+Ni → Cu reaction. But another kind of reaction seems possible to me which would also lead to Cu:

• α + 61Ni → 65Zn → 65Cu
  • Note that a 3rd company (in addition to JM products and Leonardo Corporation) also involves Rossi and Henry Johnson: this company is called REFC Real Estate Corp. This 3rd company was setup right after Rossi received the $10mio. Another coincidence. Again. Since then, this 3rd company bought several estates for several millions. The lawyers of [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] should investigate because again this smells bad.

As you hint, setting up a shell company that invests in real estate does not seem like a coincidence, for Rossi is fond of shell companies. But it doesn't strike me as particularly sinister either. When one receives 10 million dollars in a lump sum, it must go somewhere, and money often goes into an investment of some kind that can put it to work until it is needed.

• As you hint, setting up a shell company that invests in real estate does not seem like a coincidence, for Rossi is fond of shell companies. But it doesn't strike me as particularly sinister either. When one receives 10 million dollars in a lump sum, it must go somewhere, and money often goes into an investment of some kind that can put it to work until it is needed.

If we know the customers adress its easy to look up the place in google earth or streemap. But if all these are false traces then the next wave of gossip will 'swamp' the forum even more.

Next time somebody is asking about the color of Rossi nails....

• Can you elaborate on what you know about this? It is very interesting. I have long doubted the p+Ni → Cu reaction. But another kind of reaction seems possible to me which would also lead to Cu:

α + 61Ni → 65Zn → 65Cu

On its face, I like the idea. But, I look at the half life for 65Zn and see 243.8 days through a beta plus at 325 keV. It seems such a hot decay (short half-life, quite high energy and positron to boot) would not likely have been missed by the folks handling and assessing the ash.

Further, was the time from presumed generation to lab assessment sufficient for that decay give substantial 65Cu?

• If we know the customers adress its easy to look up the place in google earth or streemap. But if all these are false traces then the next wave of gossip will 'swamp' the forum even more.

From Rossi's Journal of Nuclear Science:

The problem is not speculation; it's ill-founded speculation, mixed up with fact. Well-founded speculation, called out as such and informed by known facts and a solid understanding of the relevant history, is indispensable. It is the job of each seeker after truth to keep track of what is what.

• But, I look at the half life for 65Zn and see 243.8 days through a beta plus at 325 keV. It seems such a hot decay (short half-life, quite high energy and positron to boot) would not likely have been missed by the folks handling and assessing the ash.

My own working hypothesis is that all of the decay-related processes—alpha decay, beta decay/electron capture, and alpha capture (of energetic decay alphas)—are induced and accelerated in an electron-rich environment. In that case the 65Zn would decay to Cu with a far-shorter half-life than the normal 243 days. And the electron-rich environment would, presumably, cause electron capture to competitively overwhelm positron emission as a decay mode. If the source of the 65Zn (i.e., 61Ni) were rapidly depleted in the area of the reaction, the feedstock of 65Zn might dwindle well before the experiment was stopped.

I do not argue that your objections are not good ones. But I also want to make the best case I can.

• longview wrote "But, I look at the half life for 65Zn and see 243.8 days through a beta plus at 325 keV."

I ,like Eric Walker, see a problem with using the published halflife and even the energy data values for transmutations which are measured based on 'lab' conditions. The conditions in the E-cat and other LENR environments may make the actual data values very different.
    They might give some general indication of what the preferred paths are...but we may need a lot more mathematical prediction of the environmental effect.. for which will need more research on the environmental effect. Perhaps it would be useful to inject radioisotopes with known decay rates into these environments and observe effects on decay rates and/or energy changes.. no easy task

• Perhaps it would be useful to inject radioisotopes with known decay rates into these environments and observe effects on decay rates and/or energy changes.. no easy task

I don''t think it would be difficult if one has an institutional radioisotope license. 33P, 35S, 32P, heavy heavy water, 14C--- all available in molecular biology, biochemistry contexts-- although being reduced steadily in quantity of isotope and frequency of usage... due mainly to sensitivity of instruments and to the stringency of regulatory "cradle to grave" record keeping. It is an interesting proposition that could be tested at any major research university with radiological research licenses.

I put that with my desire to look for ULM neutrons via centrifugation, as one several important dispositive tests of hypotheses floating around today. Accelerated decay has a lot of interesting possibilities, including, as Eric has pointed out, as a possible explanation of LENR.

• Let me tell you something.
    Peter Ekstrom is smiling at your nuclear fantasies.
    But I doubt that he will find it worthwhile to comment on them.
    Or maybe he will. He is a teacher and he wants people to know and understand.
    And he is persistent.

• Before Rutherford shot alpha particles thru gold foil we knew very little about the nuclear environment.
    Our LENR environment understanding is at 1910 levels, despite twenty five years of research.
    No easy task because of prevailing scientific prejudice, inaccessibility and variability of these environments
    The mass production of Ecats will help the variability bit but its gonna take some ingenuity and cooperative work
    to figure out how best to measure and manipulate this environment

• Decay is random, and statistically predictable. You cannot say which particular atom will decay when. The decay just happens of its own accord.
    If you do something that changes the radioactivity or isotope or Z, you are probably causing a reaction, which is different than decay. These may also be predicted statistically, but when concerned with a particular atom and an event of some sort, a limited set of possibilities occur, and each one has a deterministic pathway. These pathways are often the same as decay pathways, because they are so likely that they occur by themselves eventually.

On other words, "speeding up decay" probably is not speeding up decay. It is forcing a reaction.

Preventing decay might be proof of decay rate change.

• Eric is eager to learn:

Indeed. I hope he will! I would like to know what kind of copper was seen.

Well I think that I can help you with that. It was natural, unadulterated copper in the form of separate, pure copper particles. This proves in two ways that the sample was fake. It if were real the isotopic proportions would not be natural and the particles would be nickel with some percentage of copper in them, not pure copper particles.

For Questions with higher Q-values I refer with confidence to Peter's expertise.

• Can you elaborate on what you know about this? It is very interesting. I have long doubted the p+Ni → Cu reaction. But another kind of reaction seems possible to me which would also lead to Cu:
    α + 61Ni → 65Zn → 65Cu

It is very simple. If the Cu originates from a reaction with Ni, the Cu has to be embedded in the Ni particles, not in separate Cu particles. Our analysis of the ash shows that it contains concentrations of Li (of which there is none in the unused fuel). Most probably the Li is an impurity in the added Cu powder.

So we have two instances of clearly manipulated samples (the Lugano ash contained purchased isotope separated 62Ni). These are the only known instances of fuel/ash analysis. The analysis is not trivial and it will cost a fair amount. I do not believe that the analysis would have been performed it had been known that the samples were not genuine.

There is no reason to suggest fanciful effects with changes in half-life.

• Quote from Peter Ekstrom

It is very simple. If the Cu originates from a reaction with Ni, the Cu has to be embedded in the Ni particles, not in separate Cu particles. Our analysis of the ash shows that it contains concentrations of Li (of which there is none in the unused fuel). Most probably the Li is an impurity in the added Cu powder.So we have two instances of clearly manipulated samples (the Lugano ash contained purchased isotope separated 62Ni). These are the only known instances of fuel/ash analysis. The analysis is not trivial and it will cost a fair amount. I do not believe that the analysis would have been performed it had been known that the samples were not genuine.There is no reason to suggest fanciful effects with changes in half-life.

I agree the Lugano ash manipulation is very clear - purchased 62Ni.

For the original tests Rossi I think now claims "contamination" for the Cu. To be fair, if the apparatus was constructed of copper tubing, as is I guess quite likely, some Cu contamination is possible, and perhaps Li?

I'm not trying to exonerate Rossi. It is really hard to see how contamination could work for the 62Ni, and it is a very strong likelihood we have deliberate substitution in both cases. The Cu at the time seemed rather obvious given that was his current claimed "theory" - till it was blown out of the water by the natural Cu isotopic analysis. Which shows, if Rossi performed this substitution, a real lack of understanding.

We can still construct elaborate stories in which Rossi is innocent of intent to deceive. For example, he could have substituted the dummy reactor for a different (he had spares) active reactor because he realised he had used the wrong isotopic fuel in the dummy. We know he had bought 62Ni so must be using it for something. But I think I know what people here will consider is the most probable reason for the substitution :)

That is why Rossi saying he had extracted the ash from the 1 year test and is getting it analysed seems so absurd. If the 62Ni Lugano isotopic results were genuinely from transmuted natural Nickel something very strange is going on which fully justifies a lot of time and money, and could possibly deliver plentiful excess heat. In that case he does not need another test. On the other hand, if the Lugano ash is substituted then clearly this other Rossi sample could be (even more easily) substituted. If he wanted validation he could ask for independent, agreed by IH, extraction and analysis of the ash. But that would of course only work if the ash really did show transmutation.

The illogic of Rossi's behaviour beggars belief but I guess he will do whatever he can to try and bolster his case.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.