Document: Isotopic Composition of Rossi Fuel Sample (Unverified)

• Has anyone ventured to discuss the isotopic variations in terms of possible reactions? Are they compatible with any existing models?

I hesitate even to discuss this isotope assay, since we know next to nothing about the circumstances relating to it, but it looks a lot like the isotope assays for the Lugano test. In this short speculative piece (see sec. 5) I looked at the question of whether this kind of isotope shift could be explained by a combination of alpha capture and EC/beta decay taking isotopes of nickel to higher and higher atomic numbers through somewhat indirect pathways, and the splitting off of a neutron from 7Li through collisions with (slightly?) energetic alphas.

• Please explain this situation based on your favorite LENR theory.

Well obviously the Widom-Larsen, Fisher and Bazhutov models could explain neutron transfers. But I suggest that the fact 62Ni has the highest binding energy per nucleon is irrelevant. In fact these models suggest that 62Ni can still capture neutrons ... :)

• This isotopic data could derive from anything but since Alan has given it some cred I made a few transmutation simulations with the same input data as I used for the Lugano samples. It did fit one particular model surprisingly well. If the data is a fraud it is an elaborate fraud. It is a pity we probably won't get the data validated.

• Well obviously the Widom-Larsen, Fisher and Bazhutov models could explain neutron transfers. But I suggest that the fact 62Ni has the highest binding energy per nucleon is irrelevant. In fact these models suggest that 62Ni can still capture neutrons ... :)

I do expect that proton capture of an electron can occur inside the nucleus under the weak force is possibly amplified under the LENR reaction, but it is an effect of the reaction and not a cause.

I looks like every LENR system has its own transmutation footprint, with each reflecting the engineering ideocuries of each particular system's design, we are talking about Rossi's system here.

I don't think that LENR will permit a neutron rich isotope to exist because LENR will induce amplified neutron decay. But I will keep an eye on transmutation results among systems to see if this suspension is well founded.

This isotopic data could derive from anything but since Alan has given it some cred I made a few transmutation simulations with the same input data as I used for the Lugano samples. It did fit one particular model surprisingly well. If the data is a fraud it is an elaborate fraud. It is a pity we probably won't get the data validated.

Not all that elaborate-- all it required was for Rossi to purchase 62-Ni (which Bob G. claims Rossi did) and introduce it surreptitiously into the ash. Not very elaborate and by far the most direct (a la Occam) explanation.

• I do expect that proton capture of an electron can occur inside the nucleus under the weak force is possibly amplified under the LENR reaction, but it is an effect of the reaction and not a cause.

Electron capture by a proton is endothermic by 782 keV. In fact only 5 natually occuring isotopes can exothermically capture electrons. But if 782 keV were somehow available then at least 70 isotopes could be formed of which 60 would be radio-active. I think that observation alone makes the Widom Larsen theory rather unlikely. In the case of 58Ni we would expect the final production of 58Fe plus net heat.

I have never heard of the weak force being amplified ... Can you quote a reference ?

• Electron capture by a proton is endothermic by 782 keV. In fact only 5 natually occuring isotopes can exothermically capture electrons. But if 782 keV were somehow available then at least 70 isotopes could be formed of which 60 would be radio-active. I think that observation alone makes the Widom Larsen theory rather unlikely. In the case of 58Ni we would expect the final production of 58Fe plus net heat.

I have never heard of the weak force being amplified ... Can you quote a reference ?

I reference nanoplasmonic based experiments here to show how the confinement of polaritons on the surface of gold nanoparticles: a nanoplasmonic mechanism can change the half-life of U232 from 69 years to 6 microseconds. It also causes thorium to fission without neutrons. This shows that strong EMF concentration is a central part of the LENR reaction.

See reference:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fpdf%2F1112.6276&ei=nI6UUeG1Fq-N0QGypIAg&usg=AFQjCNFB59F1wkDv-NzeYg5TpnyZV1kpKQ&sig2=fhdWJ_enNKlLA4HboFBTUA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmQ

• Hard for me to resist commenting on this one. It is difficult for me to imagine this being anything other than a repeat of a previous scam (Lugano). Of course, I could be faulted for lacking imagination (at least of the hopeful variety where the Rascal is concerned). :)

The Rascal effect test procedure:
    1). Develop a faulty test procedure for a new device (so evaluators will be thrown off from making improvements in previous methodologies).
    2). Reduce the evaluators' confusion by offering advice regarding your typical methods (obviously faulty but seemingly plausible).
    3). Intervene sufficiently to protect the systematic error.
    4). Salt the spent "fuel" with his stock of Ni62 and Li6, which he is known to have a supply of both.
    5). Supply defenders with logical sounding explanations.
    6). Foment support through use of multiple commenting aliases on your own blog and elsewhere.
    7). Demonize any skeptical person as being part of a conspiracy. Characterize them as having evil intent (snakes) or as loud-mouthed know-nothings (chatterers; "some blogger"; even though he himself is a "bloggist" [sic]). Characterize them as being suggestible drones without minds of their own (i.e., puppets). Characterize them as putting on a show for attention/money (i.e., clowns).
    8). When skepticism is expressed, note that "In Mercato Veritas." Say that the only thing that will convince people is not scientific tests, but working devices in the hands of customers, which we are working faster towards every day.
    9). Ask yourself questions on your own blog about a scientific topic that you have just read up on, so you can provide an answer which demonstrates how obviously knowledgeable you are on scientific issues.

The easiest part of the Rascal effect would be salting the fuel. It doesn't take a lot of thought or effort to accomplish that. More effort is required on the systematic error front, but it is manageable if one is diligent and displays apparently irrational outbursts at appropriate times (e.g., start yelling "no lawyers allowed!" or "it's overheating, clear the room so I can get control!" when someone like Dewey comes around trying to double-check measurements).

There is one thing that he has said that is true so far, and I trust. "In Mercato Veritas." Whereas I believe that a properly designed test with appropriate follow-up tests would convince all but the most hardened of skeptics, so far, in the market has been truth. I expect it to continue to be true as it has been so far. There is no product being sold to any verifiably real customer; therefore, there is no working device.

• google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&e…TUA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmQ

I glanced at the paper you cited. I read, "The decrease of alpha activity of the exposed solutions is accompanied by the deviation of gamma activities of daughter nuclides of Uranium 232
    from their equilibrium values." This suggests an error because the first 5 daughters of 232U hardly emit any gammas. In fact the so called deviation occurs in the 212Pb gamma spectrum. The counts are so low (fig. 3) that the minor deviations appear to be statistical variations.

As for the claimed alpha decay rate anomalies this was not measured; rather it was calculated from the drop in alpha activity. A prosaic explantion is that segregation of the tiny quantities of alpha radioactive daughters may have occured. This is a highy speculative paper but perhaps it will be peer reviewed and published somewhere.

• Quote: “This isotopic data could derive from anything but since Alan has given it some cred I made a few transmutation simulations with the same input data as I used for the Lugano samples. It did fit one particular model surprisingly well. If the data…

Please explain how you arrive at the posted isotopic percentages by using natural Nickel and Ni62.

• I glanced at the paper you cited. I read, "The decrease of alpha activity of the exposed solutions is accompanied by the deviation of gamma activities of daughter nuclides of Uranium 232
    from their equilibrium values." This suggests an error because the first 5 daughters of 232U hardly emit any gammas. In fact the so called deviation occurs in the 212Pb gamma spectrum. The counts are so low (fig. 3) that the minor deviations appear to be statistical variations.

As for the claimed alpha decay rate anomalies this was not measured; rather it was calculated from the drop in alpha activity. A prosaic explantion is that segregation of the tiny quantities of alpha radioactive daughters may have occured. This is a highy speculative paper but perhaps it will be peer reviewed and published somewhere.

A second remark is that a laser with an intensity of

The laser was pulsed. Then the laser was on the alpha level dropped, when the laser was off, the alpha level increased. the laser pulsed at a rate of many times a second. In that condition, your assertion does not apply. No segregation of a tiny quantities of alpha radioactive daughters could occur in a pico second then return to a high level after the pulse.

• I glanced at the paper you cited. I read, "The decrease of alpha activity of the exposed solutions is accompanied by the deviation of gamma activities of daughter nuclides of Uranium 232
    from their equilibrium values."

You really only glanced. May be next time You read the paper before you add a comment...

What you cite, is a comment only, not a measurement method...

• May be next time You read the paper before you add a comment...

Maybe every time you could cite what I failed to read instead of making ad hominem attacks.

when the laser was off, the alpha level increased. the laser pulsed at a rate of many times a second. In that condition, your assertion does not apply

Can you quote the text where the alpha level increased please?

The paper actually says, "the activity is decreased by a factor of 2 after 1 hour exposure to laser beam". This time scale is consistent with segregation. In solution we expect some alpha active heavy metal polonides to be insoluble and to precipitate (e.g. PbPo). Segregation is expected. In addition the temperature increase due to laser illumination will accellerate the loss of of radon from the liquid.

Incidentally the alpha decay rates, interesting as they may be have little bearing on your claim of "the weak force being amplified".

• In your view, what can the alpha rate decline mean, if anything?

In solution we expect some alpha active heavy metal polonides to be insoluble and to precipitate (e.g. PbPo). Segregation is expected. Does this segregation affect alpha decay rates in any way?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.