Can we talk about Holmlid?

• Sorry for more off topic. This should have its own thread.

Many people of Asian descent handle all sorts of carbohydrates very well while a significant portion of people of European ancestry do not. Their condition has been characterized-- look up "metabolic syndrome" (formerly Syndrome X) which is a very common (in Western society) prediabetic state. For those with a heavy dose of diabetic genes, refined carbohydrates are poison.

There is no evidence that genetics have anything to do with the differences between Asian and Caucaisan diabetes incidence/carb metabolism. You can read about it in the conclusion of this report:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/6/1249.long

It is probable that the diffence between skinnies and fatties are due to the bacteria living in the gut. If you transplant bacteria from a fat animal to a thin animal, they will become fat. The opposite case is also true. See:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013…s-can-slim-mice-down.html

http://www.medicaldaily.com/im…emic-how-do-we-fix-341106

http://arstechnica.com/science…t-hunger-trigger-obesity/

Or just Google 'fecal transplant'.

Diet is supposed to have some effect, but only in so far as 'skinny person bacteria' need a diet containing plenty of fibre in order to maintain effective levels.

• More cobblers I'm afraid. Lactose (a carbohydrate) intolerance is very common among Chinese and Japanese people because they were never exposed to dairy-based farming. Likewise there is a tendency to gluten allergy - but accurate figures for this are hard to derive because the current fashion to adopt a zero-gluten diet makes gluten intolerance a popular if inaccurate claim. Gluten is of course, not a carbohydrate- but it is an inseparable part of many cereals - Maize and Rice being almost the only exceptions.

What kind of example do you set as a moderator by spamming this thread with off topic responses to trolls? Is this intentional disrespect of Holmlid and his work or is this attitude of trivialization just stupidities?

• My last post on this topic. Carbohydrate intolerance is not an allergy and has no connection or similarity with lactose or gluten intolerance. It's an exaggerated insulin response to hyperglycemia caused by the rapid absorption of carbohydrate into the blood stream and subsequent rapid metabolism to glucose. The proximal result is rebound hypoglycemia and rebound hunger. People with this syndrome are not satiated by carbohydrate intake for any length of time. Instead, carbs make them hungrier within minutes or hours.

The more distant result is episodes of cravings and uncontrollable hunger, weight gain and cardiovascular disease. This is one reason (there may also be psychological triggers) obese people are always hungry. There is indeed a theory that this syndrome is affected or influenced by the bacteriological content of the gut but I am not familiar with the evidence nor how thoroughly this idea has been vetted. The misconceptions surrounding the effects and lack of effects of dietary manipulation on weight control are so pervasive and profound (as exemplified by some of Jed's and Abd's and others' responses) that it would be unreasonable to continue discussing it here. Futility is not my long suit. So I won't.

• Official Post

What kind of example do you set as a moderator by spamming this thread with off topic responses to trolls? Is this intentional disrespect of Holmlid and his work or is this attitude of trivialization just stupidities?

Axil. I have no idea how to move a post except by pasting everything into a new thread. Apologies if you find thread drift annoying, looking at some of your posts I thought you liked it :) . I will however start a new thread PURELY for Homlid experiments

• Axil. I have no idea how to move a post except by pasting everything into a new thread.

Trivialization is a APCO strategy that you should be on the lookout for. The way to segregate nonsense is to move it post by post to another place or just to delete it as off topic. I am contemplating a posting campaign about the importance of fertilizing farm fields with cow and pig manure and pepper the APCO inspired threads with that wisdom. Soon this site will be reduced to the nonsense off topic manure.

• Trivialization is a APCO strategy that you should be on the lookout for. The way to segregate nonsense is to move it post by post to another place or just to delete it as off topic. I am contemplating a posting campaign about the importance of fertilizing farm fields with cow and pig manure and pepper the APCO inspired threads with that wisdom. Soon this site will be reduced to the nonsense off topic manure.

There is no APCO participation here that I have noticed, and APCO would not beremotely interested in Holmlid, even if they were working for IH, which is remotely possible. Not to pay people to comment on blogs, though. This thread was started to discuss Holmlid, and as is common with lenr-forum threads, it wandered into related topics; for me the central topic was the problem Holmlid and his supporters face, no confirmations. And so I mentioned Taubes and what he has been doing with diet, where information cascades are a major phenomenon that has been well described around Taubes' work. There are some remarkable parallels here.

We see people commenting with strong opinions where the do not know the literature and history. Just like certain people comment on cold fusion. Taubes as a debunker of "mainstream popular wisdom" is supremely ironic.

And ironic here is also that Mary Yugo commented. Mary is, from the language and cogency on this point, either a medical professional, or is otherwise highly and unusually informed, and is facing commentary from others that expresses the standard and ignorant "common wisdom."

Taubes quickly got tired of being ignored -- except by a few -- and so went out and raised the money for real nutritional research, controlled studies, not epidemiological.

The remarkable thing is that the value of genuine answers on the questions raised by Taubes have a value in the trillion dollar range.

• We see people commenting with strong opinions where the do not know the literature and history.

Taubes as a debunker of "mainstream popular wisdom" is supremely ironic.

You still claim that Taubes knows about diets, even after reading that nonsense about rice. Beware! Any undergraduate in anthropology knows more than he does about diet and foodways. His statement about the Japanese diet is astoundingly ignorant, off the wall, and totally without foundation, evidence or any knowledge of Japan:

"In the case of Japan, for instance, the bulk of the population consumed brown rice rather than white until only recently, say the last 50 years."

Brown rice?!? Really? Japan has been an industrial nation since 1890, with fully modern mills. I lived there nearly 50 years ago. I assure you, only health food fans ate brown rice. And even if it had been true that 50 years ago that people ate brown rice, there have been two generations of rural people since then who ate large amounts of refined white rice. They are seldom fat. They seldom suffer from the diseases ascribed to this diet by Mary Yugo and others. (Although some are obese and some suffer from these diseases no doubt -- I am not suggesting this never happens.)

The point is, Taubes still makes shit up. He invents nonsense and proclaims it in public, just as he did when he claimed that cold fusion experiments produces excess heat on week-ends because factories use less electricity then, so more goes into the experiment. He said that on National Public Radio and elsewhere. That's total nonsense. He never even realized that the power going into a cell is measured. His statements about the Japanese diet and rice are as absurd as that. If anything else he says about diet happens to have a scientific basis, I suppose that is because a stopped clock is right twice a day.

He has zero credibility. He knows nothing about electricity, nothing about anthropology, sociology, Asia or Asian diets. If you listen to him the stupid will rub off on you. For every valid idea you learn he will infect you with a dozen idiotic notions. Some people permanently lose credibility. When someone who claims to be an expert in diets tells you with a straight face that 50 years ago, people in Japan ate mostly brown rice, you should permanently ignore everything else he says. This is like someone who claims to be an expert in aviation asserting Boeing 747s run on regular grade lead-free automobile gasoline.

• You still claim that Taubes knows about diets, even after reading that nonsense about rice. Beware! Any undergraduate in anthropology knows more than he does about diet and foodways. His statement about the Japanese diet is astoundingly ignorant, off the wall, and totally without foundation, evidence or any knowledge of Japan:

One advantage of brown rice is its high fiber content. This should not be overlooked in a Asian society where such food is integrated in its culture.

As an example, for thousands of years, China's farmers have used human manure, or "nightsoil", as fertilizer (King, 1911). In this example from the Tai Lake Region, nightsoil is collected and stored in large ceramic tanks or water-tight slate-lined or concrete pits. Manure and urine are collected in buckets within the household, or deposited directly in the storage tanks, which are usually located in the animal stall and toilet area of the household. Occasionally urine is collected and applied separately. It is common to mix pig manure with night soil in storage, as pig stalls are connected to storage tanks via a sluice, to facilitate collection of pig manure and urine. Prior to intensive use of synthetic fertilizers, nightsoil was an important fertilizer for nearly all crops, including rice and wheat. Now, nightsoil is applied mostly to small-scale vegetable plots and other rainfed household crops. The primary reason for this change is that nightsoil is applied in liquid form, so that it is much heavier than chemical fertilizers. As vegetables and rain fed crop fields are usually nearer to the household than paddy fields, nightsoil use is now concentrated in these areas. Another reason for preferential use of nightsoil on horticultural crops is that it is believed to enhance the productivity and flavor of these crops, especially Bok Choy.

The favor of brown rice from these areas of fertilization infuses a characteristic flavor into the crops that is distinktive and preferential to the pallets of discerning consumers of rice.

• So eat lots of bran to help ensure easy-to-apply liquid nightsoil?

Nightsoil is a nutrient-rich fertilizer that sustains soil fertility and crop yields. By applying nightsoil over large areas of cropland, nutrients are recycled within the farm, without risking pollution of surface waters with nitrogen and phosphorus-rich wastes. The recycling of phosphorus in human wastes is especially important- humans are the top consumer in agroecosystems. Modern sewage management technologies cause the eventual loss of soil productivity to oceans and landfills. Now that populations have grown and nightsoil use has become more concentrated in rainfed crop areas, nightsoil applications may be increasing the flux of surplus nitrogen and phosphorus to surface waters, leading to eutrophication. There have always been health risks associated with nightsoil use (Richardson, 1950). One traditional adaptation to this risk is the near total avoidance of raw foods in China. Health risks have been further reduced by contemporary awareness of the spread of germs in human wastes, with farmers avoiding contact with nightsoil more now than in the past. Nightsoil is also allowed to ferment longer in the tank before application. As chemical fertilizers provide an inexpensive and convenient nutrient source, nightsoil use is on the wane, and flush toilets are becoming more common. The use of the toilet is wasting a valuable resource to the production of tasty foods. However,there is a danger of too much of a good thing. If the trend toward nightsoil over application in small areas and sewage dumping continues, serious environmental damage is unavoidable, and dependence on external sources of phosphorus will increase. Night soil should be used appropriately and applied with wisdom.

• http://www.bloomberg.com/news/…l-sludge-into-black-gold-

Heinz-Peter Mang is obsessed with turning human waste into gold. As millions of Chinese move to cities, the German engineer is convinced the country is on the way to hitting the jackpot.

A growing portion of China’s toilet waste is converted into fertilizer and biogas. In Beijing, 6,800 tons of human excrement are treated each day by some estimates: enough to fill almost three Olympic-size swimming pools.

• I used to have the greenest lawn on the street. Not from night soil, but from well-considered application of golden showers. The important things to note are to avoid over-application locally, and don't let the neighbors or passers-by see the fertlizer being applied. A grid pattern, as a mental plan, works well for even application over time. Saves water from by preventing unnecessary flushing, which also is important to prevent excessive dilution of a septic system.

• I used to have the greenest lawn on the street. Not from night soil, but from well-considered application of golden showers. The important things to note are to avoid over-application locally, and don't let the neighbors or passers-by see the fertlizer being applied. A grid pattern, as a mental plan, works well for even application over time. Saves water from by preventing unnecessary flushing, which also is important to prevent excessive dilution of a septic system.

Open defecation is the practice of people defecating outside and not into a designated toilet. The term is widely used in literature about water, sanitation and hygiene issues in developing countries. Open defecation occurs in fields, urban parks, rivers and open trenches in close proximity to the living space of others.

About one billion people, or 15 percent of the global population, practice open defecation.India has the highest number of people practicing open defecation: around 490 million people, or nearly a third of the population. Any visitor to India can get a good idea about what is going on written on the wind. Most of it occurs in rural areas, where the prevalence is estimated at 52 percent of the population, as opposed to urban areas, where prevalence is estimated at 7.5 percent. The other countries with the highest number of people openly defecating are Indonesia (54 million people), followed by Pakistan(41 million people), Nigeria (39 million), Ethiopia (34 million), and Sudan (17 million).

• Radiation sickness could cause delusional thinking!

clip:"They would end up with radiation sickness. I have had radiation sickness for more than a year from two
    separate experiments, and believe me it was nasty."/clip

Do you have point any paper about radiation generated mental sympthoms? I have only found some monkey test in fligth simulator. And one unsure story about shipyard where have used discharge welding, welder gone sick due radiation and tell rest of live storys about ufos.

And (menthal) sympthoms what I get dosn't affect reflex etc. so can drive car / do things, but bigger consepts slip totally wrong. Like to be God like and dificultu to hold universe in head (fortunate I had power enough to ordinate it move where it should be before it explode etc + lot more "nasty" things) Yeah f...g nasty experience. Only for pice of hospital bill.

• Official Post

And there is this tale, of a the man who stuck his head into the beam-line of a particle accelerator by accident. Protons, by the way. Worth mentioning I used to work for a guy who was exposed to 600-700 Rads (old measure) of Gammas in 1944, and survived. He died in a traffic accident in his 80's - 50 years later -still working in a lab at the time. He was (they say ) brilliant but pretty eccentric before the accident, he remained brilliant and very eccentric for the rest of his life

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/…e-a-particle-accelerator/

• It seems that there is a certain number of papers describing the effects that ionizing radiation can have on mental health. The titles may offer a hint for further search into the subject.
    Tying this again to Holmlid and the possible muon emission (in a hopeful attempt to bring the discussion back in-topic) this makes doubly
    important to assess whether a previously unnoticed ionizing radiation emission (i.e. muons or other exotic particles) is generated in working
    LENR systems.

Amazing what intensity they take idea grow crops in manure and get golden showers ;)

Most paywalled, .mil link dosn't open here.

From abstracts, second link is typical "truth" what they offer you in doctotr/hospital if you say that you maybe have got radiation from lenr reactor. If you deny to accept doctor opinion they are very will to give some injections. I avoided injections (in that time) because I said I have not observer any ionization radiation with my geiger and sure I have got heat radiation from reactor.

First link is connected one which abstract show radiation aging/altzheimer posibility in mouse brains:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19138050

• And there is this tale, of a the man who stuck his head into the beam-line of a particle accelerator by accident. Protons, by the way.

So if brains/tissues got energetic protons amount ~300000rads mostly biological effect is from extra heat? So it is not too far to think radiation which contains fresh subatomic particles are less dangerous than normal high energy ionizing radiation?

And from not ageing part of face? Is it too far to think if swallow that freshening radiation whole body it freeze ageing and man can live more than 18000years? ;)
    (and some mental etc. broblems can save to ignore ;)

Worth mentioning I used to work for a guy who was exposed to 600-700 Rads (old measure) of Gammas in 1944, and survived. He died in a traffic accident in his 80's - 50 years later -still working in a lab at the time. He was (they say ) brilliant but pretty eccentric before the accident, he remained brilliant and very eccentric for the rest of his life

I think I have not got much gammas.

Gammas shoud see with geiger. I have not seen it show any danger levels, exept twice, old small ac motor case had inside one reactor maybe week, I tested just got new oldstock si22 GM tube inside such case (reactor taken away day or two before) and it start to show something much more than BG, and it continued after exposure in room and also next room. I and one "consult" thinked it got overvoltage from chinese GM powersupply. So dropped voltage until it stopped "too much counts" situation. Voltage needed turn quite low (~20rev).. However later checed tube working range 360-440V and chinese supply advertise only offer max 500v. Anyway it was in that low voltage situation when I put Cu tube GM sensor to it and it showed too much counts behaind reactor shields.
    Some days ago I investigated it voltage behavior in same building/room where reactor was over month ago. It dosn't generate too much counts situation any more even voltage trimmer rotated max position (~36rev more). Ok it is diffrent tube (but same model). So I connect powersupply same tube (inside reactor shields) as month ago and only "normal" (=little less than BG) counts.
    Batteries are same whole time but are not yet exhausted (some voltage variation may present, I have not cheked circuit voltage stabilation).

In too much count situation GM powersupply have erratic behavior, I think it can't deliver enough current to such big tube and counts follow in short brust mode then pause and brust again.
    Erratic behavior can just sometimes artifically generated with five thoriated tig rod around gm tube (I don't have more active test material)

So what you think? Is it only crappy chinese GM supply or was there some remanent radiation hazard present? How low voltage affect GM tube? in beta region?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.