Just for fun: Let's bet, what we can expect from Rossi in February... anyone interested ?

• ...that is the funny part. "Just for fun" does not imply to copy and paste all of Your ( and of the other's ) posts back again into this thread.

• that You need to capitalize salutations in letters. Since we still are writing to each other, I continue with that.

I also learned, I in letters is capitalized.

If You can point me to reliable sources, which say: "No, this is grammatically wrong in internet forums", I might switch...

• Official Post

....need to capitalize salutations in letters. Since we still are writing to each other, I continue with that.

Whoever taught you that was wrong. The only reason that the personal pronoun 'I' is capitalised was originally to make it stand out on the page. No other pronouns are capitalised and never have been. Here's a quote on the topic.

"England is where the capital “I” first reared its dotless head. In Old and Middle English, when “I” was still “ic,” “ich” or some variation thereof — before phonetic changes in the spoken language led to a stripped-down written form — the first-person pronoun was not majuscule in most cases. The generally accepted linguistic explanation for the capital “I” is that it could not stand alone, uncapitalized, as a single letter, which allows for the possibility that early manuscripts and typography played a major role in shaping the national character of English-speaking countries.

“Graphically, single letters are a problem,” says Charles Bigelow, a type historian and a designer of the Lucida and Wingdings font families. “They look like they broke off from a word or got lost or had some other accident.” When “I” shrunk to a single letter, Bigelow explains, “one little letter had to represent an important word, but it was too wimpy, graphically speaking, to carry the semantic burden, so the scribes made it bigger, which means taller, which means equivalent to a capital.”

• You say "You" to anyone in a written form, it is a salutation. I even doubt, that You are using pronoun in its correct definition.---

• LOL. Now I'm being lectured about my native language by a (very good) non-native speaker! Hilarious.

So what you are essentially saying is that if someone transcribes spoken word into text, then all the verbal pronouns magically become written salutations?

More like Damn Wrong Man.

You are probably just mixing English up with German, which does capitalise pronouns.*

In fact, I bet you 20 quarkXs and 5 APCO 'talking points' memos, that you cannot find one published example of a capitalised mid-sentence "you".

* I think. I don't speak German. Despite their best efforts.

• If You (sic) can point me to reliable sources, which say: "No, this is grammatically wrong in internet forums", I might switch...

In a case of 'exception proving the rule' your usage is not mentioned anywhere in here:

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

Also, check out some old formal letters where your proposed usage is not apparent:

https://www.marxists.org/refer…/correspondence/01/45.htm

• Official Post

Buy another book. :)

' A pronoun (I, me, he, she, herself, you, it, that, they, each, few, many, who, whoever, whose, someone, everybody, etc.) is a word that takes the place of a noun. In the sentence Joe saw Jill, and he waved at her, the pronouns he and her take the place of Joe and Jill, respectively. There are three types of pronouns: subject (for example, he); object (him); or possessive (his).'

Following Your (sic) usage we could write a sentence saying. " Yesterday You told Everybody and Whoever it was came with You They Each had to take a Few, or even Many friends and introduce Them to Somebody new."

Which you must agree looks a little odd.

• Yes you can replace a noun (ie. chair) with a pronoun (ie. it), but so what? Who cares?

This is about your unique way of capitalising "you" in the middle of sentences. "You" has never been a salutation, and never will be.

Where have you ever seen anyone do similar? - Nowhere! It's just you that does it! Either you had a crap teacher, or you can't remember your lessons.

Look: you can carry on writing as you choose, it just makes you look silly each time you capitalise a "you"... I'm just trying to help you out really.

• Onle personal pronouns ( You, I ), especially "You" in any kind of letters. Might be, it transfer it too much from german.... is only "I" capitalized then ?

• Apparently the capitalised You is also feature of several Slavic languages too.

But yes, when it comes to English pronouns, just the 'I'.

The one exception when a pronoun is capitalised is 'He' (referring to the christian God), or 'You' (again only when referring to the christian God).

You are also correct about salutations, but these are basically restricted to 'Dear Sir', 'Dear Madam'.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.