Mats Lewan's Cold Fusion Podcast

• Adrian: I have offered to take your money from you: the trouble is you are not willing to lose much, and as I expected we were not able to agree sensible endpoint terms.

The problem is that you (and Rossi) will not accept independent testing. While a working product would be major world news, and indisputable, Rossi claiming he has a few customers as we know from Doral means nothing. Based on how you and I interpret past data differently it is difficult to see how we could agree on an end-point criterion, even if we could agree on an arbiter.

Otherwise, That Mats has talked to everyone and been so very badly wrong in past judgements surely makes it clear he is biased and likely to be similarly wrong in future judgements?

PS - I believe Rossi is claiming his latest (EDIT scam )invention is 100% reverse-engineering proof. In that case surely he would have no excuse for not allowing independent testing? I'm happy with independent testing from a respectable institution with an academic reputation to lose, and qualified in the calorimetry needed, that is willing to publish an open report under the institution's (not just a few rogue profs) name.

Even then we would need to be careful. For example the SRI tests are highly problematic because of issues measuring power in and out with the RFI the system they measure generates. But this would not be relevant with an industrially useful system where extracted heat power out would be unambiguously much higher than electrical power in measured at mains a long way from the system.

THH, just to correct your misconceptions. I was not interested in making money from the bet but thought it useful to show the real degree of certainty of the critics. If you were right you would win according to the rules. According to you, Rossi is just pulling a scam and he has nothing.

To say I would not accept independent test is ludicrous, What I said was Rossi would not submit to that, for whatever reason. I doubt he could make the QX safe from reverse engineering without making it dangerous, but we will see in due course. I know nothing about potential customers but will wait to see. I find it unlikely he would build an automated factory to mass produce QXs if he didn't have customers, let alone make money from such a scam. I see that Rossi has confirmed my earlier independent information that he has started a factory. Rossi states he has started installing equipment in it.

I don't think Mats has been badly wrong. Has has always included statements that it was not yet proven. What I see here is that the critics are prepared to accept flimsy evidence that it doesn't work, with certainty, but are reluctant to even consider flimsy evidence that it does.

The thread on Rossi's comments seldom contained any and was juvenile and just dreadful. I hope this doesn't go the same way.

• What I see here is that the critics are prepared to accept flimsy evidence that it doesn't work, with certainty, but are reluctant to even consider flimsy evidence that it does.

In at least one instance this is not true. I regard the video that Steven Krivit took during his site 2011 visit to Rossi's lab as containing persuasive evidence that the ecat on that day was not doing what Rossi claimed.

What do you make of that evidence? Do you dismiss it as flimsy?

• In at least one instance this is not true. I regard the video that Steven Krivit took during his site 2011 visit to Rossi's lab as containing persuasive evidence that the ecat on that day was not doing what Rossi claimed.

What do you make of that evidence? Do you dismiss it as flimsy?

Yes. Adrian. I pointed out that you have a habit here of ignoring or dismissing evidence contrary to your preferred idea that Rossi's claims are for real.

It might help you to fact check some of the negative evidence. It is quite striking, and Bruce mentions one of the early but nevertheless telling elements (below). Was Rossi totally incompetent, or lying? Or, if you have another explanation, I'd like to hear it. If you consider this evidence not significant then may I point out that would be an example of what I and others here believe lies at the root of your flawed views about this issue. An unwillingness to make erroneous and premature judgement should not blind one to the evidence informing any judgement.

2012 video showing Rossi's explanation of lack of expected E-Cat output steam during test. For context: Rossi had calculated, and claimed, that this represents 7kg/hour of steam and a heat loss commensurate with that weight of dry steam.

• I would be fascinated to see a single scrap of evidence that Rossi has started a factory (note: saying somebody whispered it in my ear is not evidence.)

IO - I differ from some here in thinking that there probably will be some grain of truth in this story. Rossi operates through misdirection and misrepresentation. He has $10m or so from past successes with IH - the IH and Court involvement was a massive financial success for him - and it does not cost much to rent a space somewhere (or borrow it) and claim it is a factory. Rossi sometimes believes his own lies, and clearly is a workaholic. Although attending to faithful fans on JONP is a primary job for him, he can do this with conviction because he also plays inventor. For example, in Doral, I'll bet he was playing with that (tiny amount) of platinum sponge. And that play morphs in his mind (or at least his statements) into Johnson Matthey using 1MW of steam to generate platinum sponge.

As we've seen here Rossi does not worry too much about negative publicity from the court case. Believers shrug off old negative evidence, like the Krivit video, and as long as there is a good story (plucky inventor may save the world - bad capitalists and scientific establishment persecute him) he can continue to operate.

• I don't think Mats has been badly wrong. Has has always included statements that it was not yet proven.

Adrian. The issue here with Mats is that his position does not change (as it should) in response to new evidence. Thus he remains a staunch Rossi supporter with no change in view after the Doral debacle, and then the QX test debacle (first ever test from Rossi where he does not even pretend to measure input power). Rossi has obviously (and I think correctly) decided that swaying people through technical evidence is a mugs game and not from his point of view worth it. Correct because he has run out of new ways to mismeasure input or output power, and his audience - even the believers - become too wise to allow that simply. I'm not saying he might not still do it, just that he'd see the pitfalls and reckons no measurement a wiser course.

• I too doubt the E-Cat was working properly, if at all, in Krivit's video.

But then what was going on that day?

There is an obvious and unmistakable difference between 7 kg/h steam coming out of a hose such as the one Rossi holds up and the steam output seen in the video. The difference is not subtle ... it is stark. Steam emerging at 7 kg/h would be noisy and would have rushed out not in wisps (as seen in the video) but in a torrent that would be dangerous to anyone within 5 feet of it. If, at some point in the past, the ecat had been "working properly" and producing 7 kg/h, then Rossi must know what it looks like and how different it is from what he is showing Krivit. Same goes for Levi who is standing right there. If he had previously seen the ecat "working properly" and therefore experienced what 7 kg/h really looks like do you think he would put up with claiming that the ecat that day was putting out that volume of steam?

I note that according to Rossi's information on the rate of electrical energy input to the device that day, the steam we do see coming from the hose is consistent with purely resistive heating. To save Levi, at least, from charges of dishonesty I submit that the gentle current of steam emanating from the hose in the Krivit video is the same as he (Levi) had always seen coming from it and that he had mistakenly accepted as 7 kg/h.

There is a back story to this you may not be aware of.

I would be interested to know what this back story is.

• I too doubt the E-Cat was working properly, if at all, in Krivit's video. There is a back story to this you may not be aware of.

On the other hand consider what Frank Acland wrote here:

http://e-catworld.com/why-i-believe-in-the-e-cat/

Yes, I've considered that link.

Don't you think it extraordinary that Frank has left up such an known misleading set of statements?

We could go through it point by point if you like.

• @THH: "A factory is an industrial site, usually consisting of buildings and machinery, or more commonly a complex having several buildings, where workers manufacture goods or operate machines processing one product into another."

I would be quite astonished to see evidence of something that actually fits this description with anything Rossi is doing or has ever done. To describe the Doral setup in these terms, for example, would constitute a grain of truth embedded in a mountain of bullpuckey.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.