LAB COFFEE TIME AND SWOP-SHOP

• Just giving this a clean and a few tweaks - nice Nikon Epiphot metallurgy scope from a University lab. This one has Nomarski DIC, Brightfield, Darkfield and Polarisation built-in. And around £5k's worth of lenses. I think they forgot about that.

• I finished sorting out the Nikon microscope- turned into a larger upgrade than I anticipated. The light was rather dim, so thinking there was a fault I stripped out all the old electronics (14V 4A old-style transformer and dimmer control) designed to run a 50W halogen and replaced it with a 24V 100W system, (LED PSU and a PWM dimmer) stowed back inside the base. Also took out the now redundant internal shutter mechanism, this was permanently closed because I don't have the external camera controller controller, plus some optical parts used for the Polaroid plate-back. I also replaced the Fresnel screen and a few other parts with black ABS - no need to let the light in there. now.

Upgraded the lamphouse to 100W and fitted speed-controllable fan-cooling. Also I found a Nikon transmitted light lamphouse on Ebay and fitted that above the stage so I can now use it for transmitted and reflected light microscopy. I have decided I like Halogens better than LEDS for this.

here are still a few dust-bunnies in the optics -but less and less as I have hunted most of them down. I have to say, the results are excellent. Just waiting for the correct HDMI cables now to connect the Canon R50D to the big HD monitor you can see behind.

Overall, it's a bargain, though it took a weeks work to sort out and refit. I now have very good brightfield, darkfield, polarised light, Nomarski and DIC (differential phase contrast) plus a choice of reflected or transmitted light for around €2000, but haven't been able to find even a less capable example with inferior optics anywhere for less than €4000 plus shipping, Bear in mind this cost €25k+ new back on the 80's, and I suspect it works better now than it did then

• With microscopes the important thing is resolution of detail, magnification alone isn't everything. But to answer your question, around 2,000X. And you can use what is called 'focus stacking' to improve resolution and depth of field- this is where you take 50 or so images of the same thing more sometimes - at various focus points and use software to discard out of focus parts and produce a composite image of in focus parts. Like this- which is a film of dried soy sauce - taken by Marek Mis using polarised light.

SOS SOJOWY (7) — kopia kopia — kopia_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

• Microwave sintering?

But, does it produce SAVs?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This video is from a tinkerer channel I follow for some years now, and this one features a very robust and surprisingly powerful design and build of Tesla Turbines that I think is very good to be aware of for our shared interest in heat to energy transformations systems. The good news is that one can buy one of these and are customizable.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• this one features a very robust and surprisingly powerful design and build of Tesla Turbines

Thanks Curbina - it is an interesting video.

I've been seeing builds and strip-downs of Tesla turbines for decades - with variable results.

As the design relies on viscous drag (together with the Coriolis force), it does tend to work well on a small scale. And, as shown, a bunch of thin flexible discs is easier to build (and balance) than a typical bladed impulse or reaction turbine.

The main problems I've seen on older builds - used with steam - have been related to creep and distortion of the discs. It is possible that these could be overcome with the right materials - but having to resort to exotic (and costly) creep-resistant metals loses the advantage of cheapness. Note that on this video they were driving the turbine with compressed air - which does get around some of the problems encountered with steam - but requires someone to run an engine (or an electric motor) to power a compressor. So, historically, as the prime mover of a heat engine, the Tesla turbine hasn't been proven to have any real advantages.

But maybe it just hasn't found its proper niche yet.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• I think I am quite well aware of what is widely said about Tesla Turbines, yet they are of interest for me because they can help get better efficiency in the kind of waste to energy system I am focused. The ones shown by this maker are surprisingly efficient for the material

of the elements (thin aluminium sheet), and they work fine with steam, there are several videos in the channel linked in the video I posted.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• I think I am quite well aware of what is widely said about Tesla Turbines, yet they are of interest for me because they can help get better efficiency in the kind of waste to energy system I am focused. The ones shown by this maker are surprisingly efficient for the material

of the elements (thin aluminium sheet), and they work fine with steam, there are several videos in the channel linked in the video I posted.

The turbines I was talking about were used as HP stages on Rankine Reheat Cycle plants - so the superheated steam regime was quite arduous. I've also seen them proposed for Rankine Topping Cycles, with even more agressive fluids. In both situations you can sometimes struggle to get a sensible life out of any type of turbine technology.

As I've said about Stirling Engines, the Tesla Turbine seems to have suffered from being proposed for use in situations where it was doomed to failure - as if it was some kind of magic technology that could overcome known problems. Conventional turbines work well, having have had many years of development, and so present few surprises. Even the erosion problems with Wet Cycle turbines, as used on nuclear plants, have been largely ameliorated.

But maybe you will find that application niche.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• As well as the big nikon, which is a reflected-light metallurgical scope I have another transmitted-light system I mostly built from parts of others- Omax base, Swift and Nikon trinocular head, Nikon Leitz and Amscope optics. The lighting system inherited with the Omax was an LED of uncertain parentage, which failed, so I have replaced with a 10W LED narrow-beam spotlight. It works very well indeed, fully dimmable and runs cool. I apologise for the currently untidy lab, btw, you can't get the staff. This one is good for polarised light and Rheinberg illumination..

This is the Frankenscope after surgery..

The LED spot in place

Hurray, it works.

• Just bought a couple of these- very handy pulse driver system. These can be used to trigger a DC-DC Mosfet switch which can handle big currents (subject to testing)

Power supply voltage: 7-12V

Product function: PWM mode, pulse mode, signal source mode, sine mode

PWM mode: voltage, frequency, duty cycle are adjustable; accuracy is up to 0.1%; voltage range: 1-24V, frequency range: 1-150KHZ, duty cycle range: 0-

Pulse mode: start delay for time T0: 0-60S, high for time T1: 0-60S, low for time T2: 0-60S, pulse number PulseNun: 1-60000, accuracy 0.001S

Signal source mode: adjustable voltage source 2-10V, adjustable current source 4-20mA

Sine mode: 1-1000HZ adjustable

Signal load capacity: The output current is 30mA (Note: This product is a signal source which cannot drive high power loads directly.)

Signal Generator PWM Pulse Adjustable Module Sine 1-1000Hz 4-20mA 2-10V LCD - Picture 1 of 8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386119288607

• Just bought a couple of these

I've got a bunch of these things.

They only operate in PWM or pulse modes (no sine or sawtooth), but (like your's Alan) are fully controllable up to 150kHz.

These have the advantage of containing their own mosfet, which can switch up to 30V and 8A. (They are usually sold as motor controllers.)

The signal from them is nice and sharp. If/when I need to switch more power they could easily drive an external device.

• Before this great and interesting time and to remain a little bit still sticked on the current ground, does anyone know a way to obtain around twenty grams of pure lithium without being defrauded by a Chinese website, or European , or an US one ?

The truth life of experimenter in fact, need help to be able to believe a day in a world as Jed described :)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.