The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• Yes, calorimetry remains the best toy for the old guard... to play with their microwatts.

I remember maybe 15 years ago when i meet and helped Pr Biberian .. He said all the time "calorimetry" "calorimetry" and said also my calorimeter doesn't watch its microwatts because he ( Biberian) was short of money...

Now after 4 years of funded Clean HME project, money was.. so i expect that its calorimeter rised more of microwatts..?

Same reasoning about McKubre..

• Give me an experiment that confirms or refutes LENR?

Or, more narrowly, give me an experiment that confirms or refutes those old D2O/Pd excess heat experiments?

They all do. In the past I suggested you try to refute McKubre, because his work is published in the most detail. You could do the entire EPRI book, but why not do this paper?

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHisothermala.pdf

The book is here:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHdevelopmen.pdf

It is clear you do not understand these things. Perhaps this paper would help:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofmc.pdf

There is no phase change calorimetry in these papers, so your imaginary foam-gate problems are ruled out.

• Well, i don't refute the Dr McKubre involvement, quality of work, papers.. etc.

However i have difficulties with the fact that these old guard members were highlighted most of the time as the absolute references of truth..

Now,we could have the same reasoning with the current scientists and their particle accelerators.

It reminds me of all those stray whales that come ashore on the sand and take their whole tribe with them..

In this way some THH words can make sense indeed.

• Yes, calorimetry remains the best toy for the old guard... to play with their microwatts.

Well, 100 W in Fleischmann's case, and 8 kW in the recent experiments by Huang. A bit more than microwatts.

However i have difficulties with the fact that these old guard members were highlighted most of the time as the absolute references of truth..

Nobody ever said anything about absolute references. They were highlighted because there are no other experiments. Very little research has been done in the last 10 or 20 years, because there is so much opposition.

• I mention this because you claimed you know more about electrochemistry and calorimetry than world-class experts such as Fleischmann and McKubre, and now you claim you know more about spectroscopy than the people who manufacture the instruments, who you say are inexperienced amateurs. This is not credible. If you want readers here to believe you, you should make your case. Tell us why McKubre is wrong.

That is not true Jed.

I always claim that no person is infallible, and that experts in a specific field may have group think that means they all miss the same thing. I don't go far down that rabbit hole - but we need to keep it in mind as a possibility.

Your mis-state those things (which I guess you would agreement) as your summary above.

• I always claim that no person is infallible, and that experts in a specific field may have group think that means they all miss the same thing.

They could not all be missing the same thing because they use completely different instruments and methods. Even if Fleischmann made a mistake with phase-change (boil-off) calorimetry, it is not possible that McKubre made a similar mistake with flow calorimetry, or that Storms made a similar mistake with a Seebeck calorimeter, and others could not have made that mistake with microcalorimeters. Many different types of calorimeter and mass spectrometers have been used. No one measures the water level with a closed flow calorimeter, or a Seebeck calorimeter. Bubbles cannot obscure the results.

In other words, systematic errors are ruled out by using different systems. That is deliberate. The researchers have often told me they used different types of instruments, based on different physical principles, so they can be sure they are not all "missing the same thing" as you put it. They might all be missing different things, but that is exceeding unlikely.

More to the point, you have never identified even one thing that one researcher missed. You have not found a single error in any major paper. You claim here that they might all be missing the same thing, but that is impossible. The only way you can justify your opinion is to show that every single researcher made mistakes in every single experiment. Because if even one is right, cold fusion exists, and your objection is invalid. You imagine (incorrectly) that you found an error in Fleischmann's phase change calorimetry. For the sake of argument, suppose that is true. Suppose the middle phase did not produce heat. You still have not shown a problem with the isoperibolic phase before that, or the thermometry after it. You still have not shown a problem with McKubre's flow calorimetry, or Oriani or Storms Seebeck calorimetry.

(Plus, as I said, you have not shown why the heat continued for a week before the boil off, and a day after it, yet it magically turned off for 10 minutes during the boil off, and yet it still melted the plastic, which calibrations never did, and it boiled with far less input power than the calibrations.)

You seem to think that if you find an error in the phase change boil-off, that magically disproves the entire field. That error reaches out and invalidates McKubre's flow calorimetry. So you don't need to show a problem with McKubre. That makes no sense! Even if you have actually shown a problem in the phase change in that experiment, you have not shown a problem in the other phase change experiments (both boil-off and ice calorimetry) or flow, Seebeck or any other experiment. Or the tritium findings, or the helium. The tritium proves this is a nuclear reaction, even if you disprove the heat.

• FP experiment has mistake of the metal potential. The heating metal need to be positive because it uses the strong alkaline D2O which has very low concentration of D+ and very high concentration of OD-.

thud the heat generation is very low.

mechanism of trigger of cold fusion need the negative metal potential.

Correct D2O Cold Fusion Reactor with Strong Alkaline Electrolyte
    Fleischmann and Pons discovered that cold fusion occurs when metal electrodes are treated under heavy water under electrolysis conditions, but the…
    zenodo.org

http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.24667.75045

• They could not all be missing the same thing because they use completely different instruments and methods.

That is not technically true. There could be some effect that related to the electrochemistry - not in the canon - that would be in common. Since results between different equipment and methods are very inconsistent - with differing amounts of apparent excess heat and no "expected value of excess heat" - they could all be missing the same thing.

• That is not technically true. There could be some effect that related to the electrochemistry - not in the canon

No, because the effect has also been seen with gas loading, with no electrochemistry. And because the effect produces tritium, x-rays, and helium, which are not products of electrochemistry. Also, the effect does not correlate with electrochemical conditions. Ordinary electrochemistry with H2O and Pt does not produce the effect, whereas highly loaded bulk Pd D2O does. There is no difference in electrochemistry between these two systems.

Since results between different equipment and methods are very inconsistent - with differing amounts of apparent excess heat and no "expected value of excess heat" - they could all be missing the same thing.

On the contrary, the results are consistent, and the control parameters are well established:

1. The results with different equipment and methods are very similar. In some cases exactly the same, where two methods are used on the same sample, one after the other or simultaneously (such as isoperibolic and Seebeck calorimetry).
    2. The effect occurs when electrochemistry is turned off, in heat after death.
    3. With bulk Pd the heat is proportional to loading. (See: https://lenr-canr.org/wordpres…ngexponentialincrease.jpg) Ordinary electrochemistry never causes heat, no matter how high the loading is.
    4. The temperature is a well known, well defined control parameter, that has nothing to do with electrochemistry. Temperature does not cause or increase excess heat with ordinary electrochemistry.
    5. The helium is proportional to the heat in the same ratio as it is with D-D fusion.

In short, your statement is completely wrong. You made that up. Evidently you have not read the literature. I suggest you refrain from making up stuff and commenting on scientific papers you have not read. It is a disservice to readers here.

Furthermore, you said "they could all be missing the same thing." That statement is not falsifiable. You have to tell us what thing they might all be missing. Otherwise there is no way to evaluate your assertion. Plus the assertion is equally applicable to every experiment in history. Newton showed that white light includes all other colors, in a spectrum. Many people have replicated that. However, they might all be wrong, and they could all be missing the same thing.

You cannot say that cold fusion is less well established than Newton's spectrum. Cold fusion is based on the Laws of Thermodynamics and calorimetry. These have been firmly established for 150 years. To disprove cold fusion you have to show that thermodynamics are wrong and calorimetry does not work. It is not possible that hundreds of expert scientists did calorimetry, and got very high signal to noise results, with copious calibrations, and clear correlations to helium and other parameters, yet they were all wrong, and all for different reasons. The experimental method would not work if that could happen.

It is also not possible that experts in places like BARC and LANL cannot detect tritium. They would be dead if that were the case.

• To be sure, there has been some terrible calorimetry in cold fusion. Some false positives, and some false negatives. Here is a well known example:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJhownaturer.pdf

Fleischmann made scathing remarks about the calorimetry at the NHE. See p. 251 and 496:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanlettersfroa.pdf

That may be a little hard to follow. I explained it in simpler terms on p. 16 of that document. And on p. 33:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJreviewofth.pdf

I do not think THH will find any errors in top notch leading papers. He has not found one in 30 years. He hasn't even looked. However, anyone can find bad papers by third-rate researchers. You can't miss 'em. There are even bad papers by people who are considered distinguished experts. They may be experts in their fields, but they are not good at electrochemistry. I described one of their experiments as "trying to tune a piano with a sledgehammer." McKubre called it "a profligate squandering of resource and opportunity."

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJlessonsfro.pdf

• When I joined LENR forum I wanted to discuss nuclear reactions that occur without meeting the Lawson Criterion. Is LENR even real? Perhaps LENR isn't real; it depends on how one defines it. What is real is fusion without meeting the Lawson Criterion. I hope by my participation in this forum that people would become curious about a proof I have. I believe that anyone logical enough and with at least the skill to follow the logic and put numbers into a spreadsheet can verify A Data Derived Balanced Equation for ICFP.pdf

Over my years on this forum, I have produced other analyses to provide a more complete understanding of how this kind of fusion happens. I link here to string for that discussion.

Electrogravity (electron-gravity) as a cause of nuclear reactions. - Physics - LENR Forum (lenr-forum.com)

• You're a good plagiarist, but you write more about electrogravity, it's very good for me, write. Yes, did I give this data to 25 ICCF? Where did you get the electric gravity, we'll see, but I have everything

https://drive.google.com/file/…QQWy87SIMXjPa913CWS3/view

https://www.youtube.com/clip/U…_Tos7VJWMTQRdxNRPkTNHSIqc

https://yandex.kz/video/preview/16826912500967754314

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eM_ZLEvhmh4

https://www.youtube.com/clip/U…2IxfRAiAR4D08K4-OqWGm6A26

Нефть - это кровь планеты, надо сделать модель планеты и мы получим генератор Тарасенко, эта энергия покорит вселенную! :lenr:

• On the contrary, the results are consistent,

Let me give you an example. Compare the excess heat found by Ed in recent work with that claimed from early experiments. You think the magnitude of FPE effect is comparable? Perhaps I should check this to be sure - so i am willing to be corrected with figures after we have agreed exactly how we are comparing numbers, but my understanding is that it was a good deal lower.

To take another example. McKubre found excess heat varying by more than 10X between different experiments all made as similar as he could.

Perhaps you mean that all results are consistent with the weaker hypothesis "there can sometimes be some varying amount of excess heat from these experiments performed in this way"? I agree. That is a very weak interpretation of consistency - a bar impossible not to meet.

• No, because the effect has also been seen with gas loading, with no electrochemistry. And because the effect produces tritium, x-rays, and helium, which are not products of electrochemistry

Those other results all have possible mundane error mechanisms which must be considered and ruled out on a case-by-case basis. And they are all completely different from FPHE excess heat. You hypothesise that a single mechanisms underlies them all, and therefore its likelihood is enhanced by all those positives.

Alternately, you might consider that since the original FPHE results researchers looking for CF or LENR have tested a great variety of experiments for a great variety of possible nuclear or anomalous heat phenomena. Some of these experimental designs lead to anomalies - however i do not know of such an experiment that produces reproducible anomalies which are certainly nuclear.

Conversely, when promising excess heat experiments are reproduced with more accurate measurements the excess heat is not found, or found to be at a much lower level, commensurate with the new better accuracy: Fleischmann & Pons, Mizuno, Parkhomov to take three examples.

• I do not think THH will find any errors in top notch leading papers. He has not found one in 30 years.

You are correct, in the sense that top notch papers do not have "errors". However that does not mean that interesting anomalous results from such papers indicate new physics. When systems are complex and unusual enough strange effects not understood by anyone can make surprising results. If the researchers themselves (top-notch => good & already peer-reviewed for any obvious things) cannot think of such effects you do not expect a peer reviewer with only their write-ups to find them.

But material scientists would tell you that material science is not an easy subject and strange things can happen, and apparent anomalies end up getting explained without new fundamental physics. (Superconductivity - here - requires new physics but not new fundamental physics. About the level of some conventional nuclear reaction mediated by known quantum effects and therefore with an unusual branching ratio and reaction rate).

That type of LENR explanation I have never resisted (or at least not for a long time) as long as it comes with the holes filled in - or a statement that there are many theoretical holed to full in before it can be other than highly speculative.

To take the simple cases now:

• excess heat in electrochemistry: real effects and half-plausible NAE mechanism but also other mechanisms
    • excess heat in high temperature gas/metal systems: scaling of heat with temperature - a strong diagnostic - does not make any of these results seem plausible given that no-one yet has a reproducible strong positive (to my knowledge) and that scaling with an asymptote at room temperature, often found, seems much more likely a calorimetry artifact than anything related to reaction processes. A bit OT since I do not think I have seen any top-notch papers on such high temperature calorimetry with clear positive results.
  • What do you repeat all the time (the word “halva” won’t make your mouth taste sweet):

calorimetry, calorimetry..., excess heat, excess heat...

What is thermal energy? This is the mechanical kinetic energy of the movement of material particles. The movement of particles is the result of cold nuclear fusion.

Consequently, it is necessary to achieve a stable reaction of cold nuclear fusion, and excess thermal kinetic energy of particles will always appear as a result of this fusion.

• he movement of particles is the result of cold nuclear fusion.

I realise that many here believe that. This thread is to air the possibility that LENR effects are not in fact any nuclear mechanism, or at least that many of them are not that.

Not much tolerated here, as can be seen from the fact that my posts make people angry.

I don't see why my views are so controversial. I am happy to speculate positively that there is some level of heat from unusually enhanced D+D or even perhaps (less likely) H+H reaction ion metal surfaces. I read avidly the experimental and theoretical work exploring that. I reject the whoo-whoo stuff. To Jed's annoyance I cannot have his certainty about what those early experiments show.

I am not a horrible person, so I do not air such views often. I know many here firmly believe whoo-whoo stuff.

I accept that Jed and others here will consider me prejudiced. That is fair. I consider them prejudiced. if anyone considers me malicious or with some nefarious agenda - well they are juts wrong - and expressing such views about me here would be a good way to keep me from posting.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.