ENG8 - new plasma energy system

• Could we imagine a kind of venturi effect?

This isn't a venturi effect - it is a centrifugal effect. It is similar to a cyclone air filter.

What is does mean is that there is a region in the centre where the air pressure is lower than at the periphery. Or rather, the periphery is at a higher pressure than the centre. The centre will still be around atmospheric pressure - or there would be no flow of air out of the device.

Despite what it says on the wikipedia page, there are still ongoing arguments about the distribution of heat within the swirling air of a RHVT.

However, the increased pressure around the periphery will help to keep the plasma in the centre of the swirling gas - as previously shown on the ENG8 website.

As Alan Smith mentioned, a while back, it will be interesting to know how much NOx and Ozone come out of this thing.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Another call-back to earlier in this thread:

I hope whoever is testing this realises that the "hot air" exiting the device is quite likely to be "active" in some way, and so some heat could still be evolved further downstream. So if they just measure temperature at the exit, and use that to calculate efficiency (or CoP) then they won't be recording the full effect.

Possibly similar to what happened with the Schaeffer device.

Generally ionising the gas, with a discharge, will also result in molecular dissociation of N2 and O2 (with random recombination - hence ozone and NOx). But there will also be some excitation - like happens in a gas laser. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_laser

As mentioned above, the subsquent recombination and relaxation is not instantaneous (although at these pressures it will still be fairly quick). This needs to be borne in mind when measuring the "energy content" of the exhaust gas.

Just measuring temperature at the immediate exit, and using flow rate and standard heat capacity values for the calculation, will miss any non-thermal energy content that could be subsequently converted to heat further downstream.

It probably needs a long exhaust tube, with thermometers placed at various distances from the "cell" exit, to check for any "downstream heat gain".

Note, though, that as some energy will be released as visible and UV light, it won't all end up as heat (unless fully captured within the system). However the difference is likely to be very small (most of the energy in a gas laser does not end up as light).

Also see TEA Laser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEA_laser

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited 4 times, last by Frogfall ().

• All these kind of plasmas are ionized no more than 0,1%.. that means 99,9% molecules remain neutral.. Next the other ions ionized stay at ambient temperature when their electrons only are hot regarding they mass difference (vs ions) implying an higher speed. Now what could be happen in this kind of vortex? I think ions will at an higher speed implying an again more fast electrons speed.. Evo ?

• I just discussed the recombination/oxidation problem with a couple of the scientists here. They are aware of the problem, and have looked at the exhaust stream. Ozone is almost undetectable, but there is certainly some NOx produced. The current exhaust set-up is not really well designed from the point of view of measuring recombination effects, because it entrains quite a bit of room air with it so is somewhat diluted. They might be able to look at it later after one of the regular system rebuild/reconfigurations they do.

I gave the tailpipe a quick 'sniff test' - and I think the main component is the metallic tang - not of Ozone - but of burning electrode.

• I gave the tailpipe a quick 'sniff test' - and I think the main component is the metallic tang - not of Ozone - but of burning electrode.

Have they said what materials they are using for the electrodes? Are they using smooth DC, pulsed DC, AC, or rectified AC (unsmoothed) for the arc?

• Do you have an idea of the pressure reduction by a cyclone air filter you talked about ?

• Do you have an idea of the pressure reduction by a cyclone air filter you talked about ?

I need to do some digging. It is a couple of years since I last looked at these.

In the mean time, this paper looks interesting:

Numerical Investigation on Gas-solid Flow in a Circumfluent Cyclone Separator - Aerosol and Air Quality Research
    ABSTRACT The efficient removal of fine dust from exhaust gas reduces the harm to human health and minimizes material waste. A circumfluent cyclone (CFC) was…
    aaqr.org

• well according to Alan only N2 is involved no dust..

It is air - not just N2. You asked about cyclones - and most research is aimed at dust and vapour removal.

Try this paper: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7480140

This is for a 200 mm diameter cyclone, inlet air velocity 20 m/s - the pressure is in Pascals, relative to atmospheric.

This is a CFD simulation, using OpenFOAM. As you can see, there is a fair pressure gradient.

Edited 2 times, last by Frogfall ().

• yes I understood 1/35 rate.. that is right?

• This is an overall view and a close-up of the air-cell about 10 minutes into a run. The cathode is the glowing red stub at the top.The lower electrode (anode) is cup-shaped.

This is a scope screen-shot during a run....

And this is the PSU at (approximately) the same time. This was re-labelled as a HI-Fi super-amp btw .

This is the turbo-fan that supplies the air-flow.

More soon.

• I wonder if they consider the blower energy input in the COP calculations. I am just finishing a project where we use one of these blowers of the exact same power, only for the much humbler purpose of stirring up the fertilizer solution tanks prior to start injecting it to the irrigation pipe.

Alan Smith the walls of the transparent tube look dusty, were you able to see it up close enough to tell if these dusts or specks were inside or outside the tube? Just curious due to the idea of dusty plasma that George Egely uses to talk about.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.