Correlations between Apparent Peaks in LENR Transmutation Data.

• Though-provoking and very readable paper by Professor David Nagel, reproduced with his consent, looking at the puzzling frequency with which particular atomic masses crop up in both LENR and in low energy deuteron-beam transmutation reports.

Quote - "transmutation data from all three laboratories had five peaks, and all five agreed with each other at similar values of atomic mass. Further, the peaks occur at the same five atomic masses as the well-defined peaks in the optical potential model of neutron absorption computed by Widom and Larsen. Also, Miley and Patterson. observed excess heat, and Mizuno et al. measured anomalous isotope ratios. Little and Puthoff sought to measure excess (LENR) heat, but did not find any"

And here Nagel mentions overlap with deuteron beam experiments - which we will hear more about at ICCF-25.

"...compilations of electron screening potentials from deuteron fusion experiments at low beam energies by Czerski and Kasagi have peaks that align with peaks in the theoretical and transmutation data."

The paper....Nagel Famus5 paper.pdf

Potential Correlations between Apparent Peaks in LENR Transmutation Data and Deuteron Fusion Screening Data

David J. Nagel

George Washington University, USA

Abstract

Diverse experiments have been performed during the study of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR) since the 1989 announcement and paper by Fleischmann and Pons. Data from two

very different LENR transmutation experiments each show five peaks, which occur at the same locations as a function of atomic mass. A compilation plot of about one hundred measured screening potential energies from deuteron fusion nuclear reactions at relatively low beam energies was made as a function of atomic number. The data scatter significantly, but still exhibit five peaks at the same locations as the transmutation data. The origins of the peaking in the transmutation and in the fusion screening data are not understood. Neither is the correlation of the peak locations in the two widely diverse types of LENR experiments. Explanation of the peaks and correlations might contribute to the understanding of LENR.

This caught my eye in a later part of the paper, a notable event, :) LENR-forum.com gets quoted (and cited) in a serious physics review paper. Thanks to JedRothwell .

"At the time of this writing, Chat GPT has been available for just over six months. Rothwell is already a leader in the use of AI for LENR research. He added a version of ChatGPT to the
    large LENR library of his website lenr.org. He has been posting the results of various tests of the combination on a private CMNS GoogleGroup and on the LENR-Forum...."

• Thanks for sharing this paper Alan Smith . Is a good thing that I had recently studied in depth the work of Miley and Patterson (1996) that is referenced here. I had no idea that at least the transmutations had been replicated by the Little - Puthoff team in 1998.

It is indeed interesting to see those peaks, which means in turn reactions that have a higher probability to happen, I think one could relate this to many other works.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one could find that these peaks can also be derived by working the numbers in the so called Parkhomov tables which provide a way to rate the likelyhood of an outcome based on the energetic balance.

I also really liked the invitation to use AI to explore further the results, albeit I think form achieving that, integration of ChatGPT and Wolfram Alpha (which provides the data analyzing muscle) would be the only way to really find the underlying patterns as Nagel suggests.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• These are Dave Nagel's own thoughts on this via email.

Transmutation data across most of the periodic table from Miley, Mizuno and others exhibit five peaks as a function of atomic number. The reason for the peaks in the transmutation data is not understood. Screening potentials from low-beam-energy deuteron fusion data from the Czerski and Kasagi groups also show five peaks as a function of atomic size of the target material. The reason for the peaks in the collision data is not understood.

Remarkably, the locations of the five peaks in the extensive data sets from two very different LENR experiments are the same. The reason for that surprising correlation is not understood. The five peaks also appear at the same locations in a theoretical Optical Model calculation by Widom and Larsen. They attribute the peaks to fitting neutron wavelengths within nuclei into nuclei of various diameters.

I have not been able to come up with satisfactory explanations for any of the three empirical mysteries cited above. ... Maybe, solving any of the riddles will advance our understanding of the fundamental mechanism behind LENR.

• The nucleus is structured and this leads to the uneven splitting of the U atom. The same principle applies to these results. The larger nuclei, Pd and Pt would fuse with D and trans-mutate upwards, causing the slightly heavier elements above Pd and Pt. These fusion reactions however we think, can also cause fission or spallation reactions to take place, due to reasons I hope to address at the upcoming ICCF conference. This mechanism of breaking off branches and where the breaking would occur is poorly understood at this time of writing, but simple taking off a few branches would yield atomic number in the order of 27-33, 51-57, 65-70 range. Those ranges would be the peaks in all likelihood.
    I agree this is indeed an important topic and by no means have I given a thorough explanation here, I mean to point out how well the concept of a structured nucleus seems to fit the data by means of fission...

Presentation (PDF) about fission explain via SAM
    https://structuredatom.org/sit…2019%20Final%20public.pdf

• Bob Greenyer emailed an idea....

As per my understanding presented in my poster session at ICCF-22, not sure it is a big mystery - Principally, the process likes to fit matter into a "small box" (phase singularity).

Before de-coherence of the matter-wave condensate, the smallest atomic volumes are the most abundantly produced in your chart, though there are other factors at play to a lesser extent. Of course, outcomes are skewed by input isotopes with their own probabilities, isotopes and spin states.

See my steemit here from early 2018. Figure 3. Overlay your 5-lines...

https://steemit.com/steemstem/@mfmp/what-really-is-new-fire-fuel

• Read everything and still scratching my head. Can someone provide a simple (in layman terms), what the significance of the "5 peaks" is, and if eventually corroborated by other experiments, then becomes accepted within the community, what it will do to advance LENR?

• This is again the mythology about a kind of fuel able to do everything by itself...

Even if Jurg ( for example) was sucessfull in this way, i don't expect this as an absolute prerequisite.

J'ai tout lu et je me gratte toujours la tête. Quelqu'un peut-il fournir un simple (en termes simples), quelle est la signification des "5 pics", et si finalement corroboré par d'autres expériences, devient alors accepté au sein de la communauté, ce qu'il fera pour faire avancer LENR ?

• Read everything and still scratching my head. Can someone provide a simple (in layman terms), what the significance of the "5 peaks" is, and if eventually corroborated by other experiments, then becomes accepted within the community, what it will do to advance LENR

The presence of the 5 peaks has already been shown many times using different methods, so a little past needing replication. This is a review paper, pointing out the fact of alignment but not presenting any definite reason for it.

Why is it useful and important? That is because it shines light on an underlying mechanism that causes transmutation. It's a little like a pathologist noticing that all the bodies in the murder department of the morgue have pierced ears and stab wounds in their kneecaps. From this one could possibly deduce that there was a serial killer at work, somebody very short with a pocket-full of earrings.

• Hora, Miley, et al in ICCF-7 have a paper " Nuclear Shell Magic Numbers Agree with measured Transmutation by Low-Energy Reactions. See page 147 in this link.

ENECOtheseventh.pdf (lenr-canr.org)

The nuclear reactions initiated at seemingly at low energy (most fusion) happen and are followed by fission. The fission output is proposed to be due to whatever quantum structure governs stable nuclei.

The paper by Nagel relates the peaks to nuclear attraction wells of specific size based on atomic number but Hora et al relate the wells to Z or proton numbers. They propose the quantum relationship between sizes of wells as R(n) = 3n. see page 150.

Some nucleons have a positive bias (protons) while other have dipoles (neutrons). All nucleons exchange components so any bias of charge does not reside on any nucleon long enough to affect experiments designed to scatter off charges within the nucleus. Hence, the difference between neutrons and protons so short lived that nuclear structure is nearly undetectable. The nucleus can be modeled as liquid. Nevertheless, net field effects are observed such as spin and electron structure mirroring off an abstract nuclear structure.

This dynamic nuclear fluid causes higher rates of decay of elements as a function of A and Z numbers relative to the five peaks (the stable combinations of mobile charge with nucleons).

As far as mechanism, this data tells us that fusions to heavy elements occur in "LENR" and likely occurs far more often than hydrogen to hydrogen fusion. The mechanism of this type of nuclear reaction is like that of a star closer in mass to a black hole than to the mass of our sun.

The easiest way to model these reactions is with a gravitational constant which is orders of magnitude stronger than universal gravity.

• The paper by Nagel relates the peaks to nuclear attraction wells of specific size based on atomic number but Hora et al relate the wells to Z or proton numbers. They propose the quantum relationship between sizes of wells as R(n) = 3n. see page 150.

This relationship between the quark R(n) = 3n structures of matter and LENR reaction could indicate that transmutation might be a process that completely deconstructs matter at the quark level allowing the individual freeform quarks to recombine free of any nuclear predispositions into new ways to combine consistent with the way nature has formulated new matter throughout the universe. In other words, transmutation rather than fusion is the primary matter building process at work throughout the universe.

• To much brain aerobics . There are no free form quarks...

As a believer in LENR as a fusion based process, you have no idea about how transmutation works. When quark mass is affected, so is their behavior including confinement.

Quark confinement comes out of the standard model that I understood you rejected? Are you inconsistent?

• you have no idea about how transmutation works

Thanks that you confirm having no idea how transmutations work. Yogurt, Bifidus,Quark are no help too.

Try it with real physics not with a collection of fringe ideas called standard model.

All elements can simply by generated by adding H*/D*. No supernova is needed just real physics.

• 3-s2.0-B9780080451107500034-f02-07-9780080451107.jpg

All elements can simply by generated by adding H*/D*. No supernova is needed just real physics.

This posit does not comport with the lack of low mass elements seen in transmutation of elements like iron derived from carbon. The additive process that built to iron is not seen in transmutation experimentation. Only iron is seen with no range of lighter building block type elements other than aluminum and silicon were seen in the transmutation product. The full range of intermediate transmutation produces were not seen as you have assumed to occur.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336370630_Nuclear_Transmutation_with_Carbon_and_Oxyhydrogen_Plasma

• This posit does not comport with the lack of low mass elements seen in transmutation of elements like iron derived from carbon. The additive process that built to iron is not seen in transmutation experimentation. Only iron is seen with no range of lighter building block type elements other than aluminum and silicon were seen in the transmutation product. The full range of intermediate transmutation produces were not seen as you have assumed to occur.

https://www.researchgate.net/p…on_and_Oxyhydrogen_Plasma

The oxyhydrogen plasma causes fusion of hydrogen to oxygen. The expected output of this plasma is an increase in nitrogen without the seed carbon rod present. Obviously, the experiment you reference was not set-up to measure this. But it is seen with mass balance and stoichiometry of aquafuel. Further, neither the stoichiometry of the aquafuel reaction or Santilli's intermediate fusion indicates any fusion of oxygen or hydrogen to carbon. Both analyses indicate hydrogen fusion proceeds stepwise to produce oxygen but the oxygen is consumed in further reactions. Most of the deuterium produced from hydrogen is also consumed in further reactions.

Neither the low mass elements nor the elements produced in the intermediate steps of the fusion process are normally seen in an oxyhydrogen fusion reaction (also called a Kidman reaction). These reactions are confined to the "EVO"s. However, the carbon rod interferes with the process by collecting intermediates to crystals. Crystals require seed. The output of crystallization depends on the crystallization process not on the cascade of reaction in the fusion process. The intermediates would be primarily Na, Mg and Al. If the electro-gravity is strong enough the Al fuses to Al to create Fe. Hence, no intermediate atomic weight elements.

I proposed most likely cascades of nuclear reactions are as seen below.

• 3-s2.0-B9780080451107500034-f02-07-9780080451107.jpg

This posit does not comport with the lack of low mass elements seen in transmutation of elements like iron derived from carbon. The additive process that built to iron is not seen in transmutation experimentation. Only iron is seen with no range of lighter building block type elements other than aluminum and silicon were seen in the transmutation product. The full range of intermediate transmutation produces were not seen as you have assumed to occur.

https://www.researchgate.net/p…on_and_Oxyhydrogen_Plasma

NAE (nuclear active environments) in metal produce fusion of the metal lattice followed by fission. Hence, the kind of distribution in the figure you post. Obviously, that distribution of elements is different than from the oxyhydrogen plasma. The reaction occurs at the escape horizon of the of the catalysis. If the catalysis is imbedded in metal, then the metal is at the escape horizon. If the catalysis is a free-flowing gas, then the catalysis uses the gas as a reactant. I can point you to references if you like.

• John Huizenga wrote a scathing book denouncing cold fusion research in 1993. He mocked cold fusion by alluding to its unexplained characteristics as "miracles." Huizenga's three miracles were:

Miracle #1: the mystery of how the Coulomb barrier is penetrated

Miracle #2: the lack of strong neutron emissions

Miracle #3: the lack of strong emission of gamma or x-rays

Y'all still can't explain the 3 miracles of cold fusion. Where are the predicted fusion generated gammas and the neutrons? You talk of fusion and fission but the nuclear indicators are nowhere to be found.

• Where are the predicted fusion generated gammas and the neutrons?

If an idiot makes predictions why then should these become true?

Of course we have tons of gamma spectra from CF. But neutrons are not the basic building block of matter. Neutrons are rare events and usually not expected.

As said: Only people that do not understand physics can talk of a coulomb barrier for CF. All fusion matter interactions is driven by magnetic forces/resonances....

• If an idiot makes predictions why then should these become true?

Of course we have tons of gamma spectra from CF. But neutrons are not the basic building block of matter. Neutrons are rare events and usually not expected.

As said: Only people that do not understand physics can talk of a coulomb barrier for CF. All fusion matter interactions is driven by magnetic forces/resonances....

This flight of fantasy devoid of any logic is why cold fusion has never been accepted by science.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.