• This is the November 1924 issue - around the same time that Hantaro Nagaoka was claiming mercury to gold transmutation. However, this story comes from Germany. It is also a bit flaky (talking about removing electrons).

Article here: GOLD_SAI_Nov_1924.pdf

Note that the Wikipedia entry for Hantaro Nagaoka says that he bombarded mercury with neutrons. That is rather curious, since the neutron wasn't discovered until 8 years later...

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Frogfall ().

• Here most of people trust in their own gods however i think that electron capture never was enough fashion...

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• Scans of the old Hugo Gernsback magazines are a treasure-trove, if trying to gauge the wider public understanding of science in the early 20th century. The readership would have been far wider than that of the academic journals of the day. And although (as the above article shows) they often lacked scientific and technological rigour, the simplified descriptions, and speculative artwork, could certainly fire popular imagination.

• Never understood this obsession with gold.

Anyway, out of having some intellectual fun I have thought of ways to use LENR to get certain elements from treating batches of concentrated solutions of cheaper salts as has been attempted to be patented by Dr. Ryushin Omasa. It requires a liquid based system as one has to circle the solution through one or more selective ion exchange resins that gets the desired product out of the mixture as soon as it is formed, to avoid it getting transmuted further. There are several ion exchange resins that have higher affinity for a reduced type of ions so this could be a way to “mine” stuff from a transmutation broth.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Cardone et al did not turn much of their Mercury into gold, tho. But they got a lot of Titanium and Bromine. I wonder if that is economically interesting.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The Aureon / Safire thread reminded me of this thread.

I've just had another quick look at the wikipedia entry for Hantaro Nagaoka - and it is still claiming that he synthesised gold from mercury, in 1924, by using neutron bombardment. However, not only was the neutron unknown in 1924, the referenced document doesn't actually mention Nagaoka. I guess this is just another example of wikpedia's "move along, nothing to see here" approach to LENR.

Interestingly, the document referenced is this one, by Miethe (the researcher mentioned in the Hugo Gernsback article).

Miethe, A. Der Zerfall des Quecksilberatoms. Naturwissenschaften 12, 597–598 (1924).

In it, Miethe does indeed talk about the mercury to gold transmutation - but also mentions that the post-experiment mercury contained numerous other "contaminants" which were not present at the start. Maybe his ecstasy at discovering gold blinded him to the potential significance of other, less glamorous, synthesis products.

Edited once, last by Frogfall ().

• Well, transmutation is what drives the process presented by Aureon in their latest video, but they are focusing in radioactive isotope stabilization for commercial reasons. This is why I posted only research addressing radioactive elements there. There is another paper by a Japanese team with reduction of K40 radioactivity by cavitation, but the pdf I have has a glitch in the fonts and only the very brief English abstract is readable.

• Unfortunately, from a psychological perspective, people have a tendency to become obsessed with the potential production of "precious things", and that can not only distort research priorities, but can negatively affect researchers' own (and everyone else's) attitude to the whole topic.

For the medieval alchemists it was gold - and for the Cold Fusion & LENR pioneers it was excess heat.

There is an enlightening quote from a 2010 article by Steven-B-Krivit of an incident during a tour of India in 2007:

In 2007, Mahadeva Srinivasan, former associate director of the physics group at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre in India, invited SRI International electrochemist Michael McKubre and me to come to India on a two-week lecture tour. Our trip was partially sponsored by the Indian government.

On our first stop, at the International Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics in Hyderabad, organized by Ethirajan Rajan, McKubre, Srinivasan and I gave lectures on LENR.

McKubre was first. His talk, as requested and advertised, was to be a broad review of the LENR field. After his talk, Srinivasan was the first to ask a question.

"Mike, thank you for the great presentation," Srinivasan said, "but why didn't you say anything about transmutations?"

"My friends in the cold fusion community chastise me very severely, but I'll say it again since we're all friends," McKubre said. "I know what to do with heat; I know how to use heat. In the transmutation business, I don't know what to do with the ability to turn expensive elements into cheap ones. I don't have a use for that.

New Energy Times - Issue #35 Special Report: Who's Afraid of LENR Transmutations?

Back in the 1990s there were claims that the Patterson Cell could remediate radioactive waste. Hence, what Aureon are trying to do is not really a new idea. But somehow, as soon as people think that there is a possibility of generating something precious the less glamorous aspects of the technology get neglected.

I think Monty Childs, and his associates, need to be congratulated for keeping their heads screwed on, and not being distracted by shiny things...

• Interesting snippet in Nature, published September 1925:

The Transmutation of Uranium into Uranium X - Nature

Quote from Abstract

Dr Alois Gaschler

As described in the Journal for Applied Chemistry (Berlin, Leipzig, No. 32, 1924), the present writer succeeded in 1922 in observing the transmutation of mercury into other elements, when submitted to the effect of a strong electric discharge. This discovery was described in a manuscript deposited under G 56485 IV/12 h on May 3, 1922, in the German Government Patent Office, where it may be seen by anybody. It is therefore incorrect to state that Miethe first observed the transmutation of mercury.

• I remember a report of making gold from Mercury. There was a movement that was replacing mercury switches, mercury lights and etc to minimize exposure to mercury. The mercury was then converted to stable form to bury it in Canada. One of scientists came up with making gold.

The problem is that some mercury was used to mine gold. To verify if an electric arc to mercury creates gold, I first evaporated the mercury to remove the gold (the source it used was used to mine gold). Then I exposed the purified mercury as an electrode in an arc through hydrogen for period of time, then evaporated the mercury a second time. I found a flake of gold was left when the supposed purified mercury was evaporated. I was not impressed.

An arc in hydrogen can create pseudo-neutrons as a result of electrogravity. One of the isotopes of mercury can be converted to gold by pseudo-neutron absorption. It would be a difficult business to pursue.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.