Rionrlty Member
  • Member since Apr 9th 2016
  • Last Activity:

Posts by Rionrlty

That is untrue ele. Many people with vapourware (let us not get into the matter of deliberate fraud or not, irrelevant to your point here, and to be settled in Court this Summer) have patents. Take, for example, EEStor with a patent for a magic capacitor with energy density higher than a lithium battery that never existed. It is one way that they convince people they have something. In any case Rossi has no granted patents for E-cats. He has a patent for a novel water-heater power source unspecified.

If that "hot water heater" supplied a COP greater than 6 (steam or no steam) and the Jury concludes that the test was GPT (which I think they will) then it's game over for IH.

As a Real Estate Broker/developer I have been involved in a number civil suits, some involving my employees and some involving me directly. One of the things I noticed early on was that expert witnesses, professional or otherwise, will get up in front of a Jury and say just about anything their asked to, if the money is right. Oh sure, they will parse words and dance around the facts in such a way as to make it seem like they're being honest, but the truth is they are being paid to convey a message and the best ones are pretty good at it. Despite this, in virtually every case that involved an "expert witness" a good attorney could almost always expose their special interest in getting paid well, which would pretty much destroy their credibility no matter which side they were testifying for. The fact is that when you pay someone a bunch of money to testify you could just as well be paying them to lie. I had the same excellent attorney in nearly every case and each time he ended up talking me out of using an expert witness. According to him one of the first things they teach in law school is how to discredit an expert witness. For what its worth he graduated from Yale Summa Cum Laude.

As you have no doubt intuited by now I trust very few people to tell the complete unvarnished truth, especially in business matters and particularly when a great deal of money is at stake as nearly everyone involved has a particular point of view to sell. At the very least Rossi had lied by omission and probably outright in a few instances, but he has also been lied to, both by omission and directly and that's his best defense. It seems like a classic "David and Goliath" story to me and if I were Rossi's attorneys that's the way I would lay it out. After all, who could fault David for lying a little to avoid being beat up by Goliath? From what I could tell most Jurors based their ultimate decision on the perceived honesty of ordinary witnesses. Of course that is very subjective at best, but it always surprised me how often they got it right. IMHO no matter whether you're a multi-billionaire business owner, or a lowly inventor, how you come across on the witness stand is 90% of the battle.

One of the most disappointing cases I was involved in was especially discouraging. Right up until the Jury went in for deliberations I figured it was a toss up. To my amazement they got it totally right and found for me, the defendant. I didn't even have time to smile and pat my attorney on the back, before the Judge began lecturing the Jury on why they got it wrong and then proceeded to set aside their decision and found for the plaintiff and against me. Up until then I didn't even know Judges could do that, but apparently they can. It seems I had failed to sign one of the disclosure forms where it acknowledged receipt of a copy, not by the plaintiff, but me, my copy and the Judge decided this was technically an errors and omissions violation from her point of view. Whatever her bias, that was enough for the judge. Of course I could probably have filed for and gotten an appeal, and if the award had been for the 3 million dollars the plaintiff was asking for I certainly would have, but as it turned out she found damages against me for only $18,000. I certainly didn't feel good about paying it, but my legals fees for an appeal and new trial would have been much, much more.

I've actually spent quite a bit of time reading the files available. I love the depositions and have read most of them completely. I can even understand most of the legalese in the motions, but I get so bored with reading 10 pages to say something that could have usually been said in one paragraph that I usually just skim through them. I know everyone here is into detail and sites, but I don't have the time or inclination to play that game. Like I said earlier the Jurors are going to pay the most attention to the main players and ordinary witnesses. If they had to listen to a tenth of the stuff that's in these posts I'm sure they would simply nod off and they will do the same if it gets too technical in court. So, based on my general impression of the depositions I've read I think it's a toss up. I want Rossi to prevail because I have never considered he is a scam artist or even delusional. I think he has what he claims and I'm convince that even with producing only 250KW he still beat the heck out of a COP of 6. I'm convinced that if either side starts trying to explain and rationalize the data in Penons, like you and Jed do repeatedly, then that side will lose. As for myself, I'm still able to rationalize just about everything Rossi has said or done and I've not read anything in the depositions that changes that for me. I think Rossi is opinionated, cantankerous, belligerent, stubborn and a total narcissist, but in every interview I've watched him in he came across as sincere and honest and I believe that's what the Jury will see also. Even with that I believe it's still too close to call. I'm convinced that IH is lying about not having been able to replicate and I believe that is how it will come across to the Jury. As for whether the test was actually the GPT I believe there is no question given the evidence so far that the Jury will see as such.

Did you read Penon's report? How can you claim he might have "crushed" the test? Anyone can see it was a failure, and the report itself was a joke. Rossi tacitly admitted that by coming up with the imaginary, invisible mezzanine heat exchanger long after the fact.

JedRothwell I'm not a scientist or a mathematician, only a lay person like probably most of the Jurors will be. As a result I must take analysis from folks like you and Engineer48 over on ECW. Since you cannot agree on much that poses a problem for me. The fact that you have financial and loyalty ties to IH doesn't make it any easier for me to determine the truth of the matter.

The ultimate fact is a number of folks much like me will listen to a number of folks much like you and Eng48 and decide the situation. That must make you more than a little nervous about the outcome. While I may not be a Scientist I do know a great deal about business, mostly that it is down and dirty and anything but honest and above board. Any who aren't willing to play that game should not join in.

It seems clear to me, at least without your added explanation in bold print, that he is referring to the JM plant. Why would he have to inform them that he would operate the 1MW plant for free. Obviously they already knew this and I think anyone with an open mind would interpret it this way.

1. He just commented. He said "I cannot comment" and then he commented.

2. In his messages to I.H. he repeatedly described the management of JM in the third person; "they" did this or said that. He was talking about himself. Either he was being deceptive or he is stark staring bonkers. Who has conversations with himself?!?

Do you think Darden (IH) might ever refer to Cherokee investments as they, or some of the other shell companies he's responsible for?

So, after all of this debate about the trial, I am still left with a question of Rossi's motive in filing the suit.

Let's say you are Rossi, you believe your technology works and is valuable, but you realize your supporting company/licensee has lost faith. Would you sue to complete the payment terms of the contract, or would you sue to get your license rights back? Let's say Rossi wins, the $89M is due, and it gets paid by IH. IH would pretty much own rights to everything Rossi had created and will create (derivatives) in most of the world. There would be very little Rossi could make and sell that would not have to go through IH. Does that sound like a desirable situation for Rossi as the positive outcome of the the suit he filed? Would an inventor that believed in what he had created just take the money and wash his hands of his creation, leaving it to a company who claims it cannot be brought to product?

Personally, I think there is 0 chance a jury would award the $89M to Rossi AND give him back his license. So the Rossi-positive outcome would be Rossi gets the $89M and everything he has developed and all of its derivatives are licensed to IH; OR, Rossi loses the bid to get the $89M (the primary purpose of the suit) and also doesn't get his license back; OR, Rossi loses, has to pay back the $11.5M to IH, and gets his license back. If Rossi really believed in what he had invented, and knowing that IH has lost complete faith in that invention, it seems Rossi would be happier if he lost his lawsuit. If Rossi were to win his lawsuit and get the $89M, it would seem that the only way he would be happy is if he knew the eCat didn't work.

Or Rossi crushed it on the GPT and IH knows it, but still doesn't want to pay the money. So rather than settle with him they make a roll of the dice.

TrueTrollman - your APCO shill remains swill. It is shattered, in tatters, splattered all over Planet Rossi.

Dewey, while I remain convinced there are APCO (and others) astroturfers posting here I don't believe you are one of them. You seem far too amateurish and obvious for that. I think any prospective Jurors who look in here will be as turned off by your rhetoric as much as I am and would more likely think worse of IH for it. No wonder "they" wanted you to back off. However IMHO you are the very epitome of a "troll".

Zeno, I believe they have asked Dewey to back off and that is the explanation of his absence here lately. The problem for them is that he just can't resist.

Wyttenbach, welcome back. Please do not troll this forum with the whole APCO astroturf schtick unless you can muster more than circumstantial evidence. What you mention here, hoping someone will "out" himself, is not going in a good direction.

I believe it is barty, AlainCo or David Nygren that sends out the emails. I'm sure it was a misinterpretation of what information is available.

Eric, The whole Idea behind "astroturfing" is not to leave evidence behind. Companies like APCO, and there are many, do not send out the first bozo they find willing to take money for spreading falsehoods and lies. The operatives in question are hired for their talent and go through rigid and involved training so as to come across as sincere and knowledgeable posters, whether on facebook, twitter or here on LENR Forum. The fact is you would probably never know it if one posted here and if you thought you did they probably aren't. You should not be surprised that when nearly $270,000,000 is at stake folks will go to great lengths to influence the outcome. Even though I've heard it expressed here that LENR Forum is too insignificant to be bothered with in this regard, I disagree completely. If someone becomes newly interested in LENR, perhaps because they've seen a chance reference in a magazine, on the internet or because they are being considered as a juror in a trial involving same they're probably going to google it out of curiosity. In that case this is one of the first four or five places they'll wind up, and companies like APCO (and many more) will also know this. Their whole approach is extremely well thought out and targeted.

Zena, just two flaws in your assessment. APCO is infiltrating this website and Dewey is IH,

Stating that LENR is a hoax is a much different than stating Rossi is a fraud or scammer. There are many comments on ECW which express doubts in Rossi's veracity. I find the bias here in favor of IH much more troubling than that.

Correction accepted. Schaflander has a profile more of a people person than a nerd and no doubt was good at what he did using his social psychology training to great effect. We have no obvious information who was providing these 100X better than industry metrics. I guess some technical guy now lost? Or, perhaps Schaflander was just guessing. It sounds to me like an idea written down on a cigarette packet and marketed without anyone actually working out the real costs.

It is common for startups to be overly optimistic about their technology but this one goes a bit far. The other problem is the £350 conversion to H2 operation, since IC engines do not simply convert to H2 for the obvious reason that it burns very differently from gasolene.

Here is part of a reply that I made to a poster over on ECW who found some posts about this process on an obscure forum from over 10 years ago. The conversion was at first accomplished with a "cracker" located in the engine compartment to convert the liquid Hydrogen/ammonia to a gas prior to injecting it into the carburetor using a device similar to CNG or propane conversion. Later they went to directly feeding the fuel into the carburetor and simply re-jetting it for the change in fuel. This eliminated the cracker and saved a lot of money. It was not a difficult conversion. See my reply below for further clarification:

"Some of what the OP says demonstrates to me that he knew little about the automotive technology of the day. I on the other hand have been a car guy for over 50 years now and knew the right questions to ask even back then. In the late 70’s cars had been artificially de-tuned as a bandaide method of reducing emissions, especially in California. Only ten years earlier, in the late 60’s some performance cars had run as high as 11.5 to 1 compression ratios and pumped out 400 hp or more. By 1978 the peak compression ratio was about 7 to one, and the same displacement that had netted 400hp in 1970 was only producing a little over half that much. The ones that remained from the 60’s had to be detuned as around 1980 leaded gas became unavailable except as Avgas, only available from airports. On top of that fuel efficiency had dropped by at least 20% over that same period. In talking to one of the auto technicians in the shop area of CSEP I learned that Hy-fuel only netted less than 80% of the BTU output of gasoline, but was much higher in octane than currently available gasoline. This enabled them to advance the timing on the test cars to the point they were only losing about 10% power efficiency. In this regard the comment about camshaft duration has some relevance, in that valve timing could have been very much more advanced, supported by a higher available compression ratio due to the higher octane of the fuel, sort of like having a racing cam in your car. They had estimated at least as high as 14 to 1 and probably higher. This would have effectively doubled the horsepower output, or conversely have doubled the fuel efficiency."

I must make an exception to my abstinence from posting to correct some misconceptions written here by THH.

1. Schaflander never claimed to invent Galium Aluminum Arsenide solar cells, only to have used them and devised a way to manufacture them orders of magnitude cheaper than then current technology.

2. He was not an inventor and never claimed to be. He simply organized and funded a scientific team to accomplish a set of goals.

3. And yes you can do it with hydrogen, as has been demonstrated many times since.

4. He was not only trying but succeeding in developing his technology when the powers that be brought pressure to bear and closed him down. My own opinion derived from insider information via my wife's involvement was that when the oil company offer was rejected the US government was persuaded to step in and quash the technology on behalf of the oil company. His proprietary information was actually confiscated by the US government so it could only be further developed at their prerogative. In all fairness I don't believe this could occur in this manner in this modern era, what with the internet. Today it would need to be far more nuanced and subtle, but I have no doubt it could be orchestrated, and may well be in the case of the Rossi and the Ecat. I'm sure the government is not ignorant of APCO or astroturfing.

This is just a heads-up that I find that the signal to noise ratio in your posts to be especially low. Please stop trying to turn the discussion of this thread away from the topic at hand and towards the members of this forum, either directly or through vague innuendo, such as in this case.

Eric, I have no idea what you're trying to say here, or even why. I'm not a scientist or a mathematician, so all I can comment on are the semantics or subtle innuendo contained here. I believe this stuff is far more pertinent and will turn out to be a much larger part of the case over all than all the technical gobbledegook, which is likely to put the jury to sleep long before they are able to digest even a small part of it. Since you don't like the high "signal to noise (?)" ratio in this category I will now stop posting here altogether and limit myself to pushing the like button once in a while. Lord knows I don't want to be banned again.

He, and everyone with a 6th grade education understand that science and technology are not based on proving NEGATIVES, as is the basis of virtually every argument in support of Rossi's claims, and these forum topics.

Another APCO employee?

People whose contributions are little more than annoying innuendo will not last long here. Eric