Rossi vs IH: (Update: Sep. 9 20– James A. Bass now a Third Party in IH’s Counter Complaint)

• A chimney would not suffice to keep the room comfortably cool.

That's a blanket statement, and hence a statement that is inherently incorrect.

In other words, it depends on the size of your chimney. One could easily remove 1MW with a natural draught chimney, but it would need to be very large. A fan would reduce the necessary diameter.

Does such a chimney/flue exist in the Doral premises? Who knows? There's certainly a big chimney cover on the roof. And do the published photos cover the entire volume of the "factory"?

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Rossi's explanation of kWh/h was spot on, actually.

You miss the point. Rossi actually claimed that standard usage was stupid and wrong. He cited a well-known physics author as the place to study this. That author gave the same explanation as I had, that he called stupid.

If you think he was spot on, how about engaging on the point in the thread where this was covered? Rossi's explanation of what "Kwh" means was incorrect. He called it a quantum of energy (the usage of the word quantum is odd there, it is a unit of energy, but not a fundamental unit, but a derived one), and he wrote it as kilowatthour, omitting the hyphen (which in this case indicates a multiplication by hours). In fact, the unit of energy is the Joule, and a Watt, a unit of power, is defined as 1 Joule/second. So if we have a watt for N seconds, we have N seconds times (1 Joule/second). That is, N joules. The usage kWh/h sometimes arises as a measure of average power, particularly in the utility industry, where the raw date they have (from power meters, say) is in kWh. But the units of an average is still the units of the thing averaged, which is power. In this case, watts or kilowatts. I really did study this before writing.

The major problem with Rossi's explanation was that he made ordinary and common analysis wrong and stupid. Then he showed off his "knowledge,' by giving conversion factors. he was right on calories per Joule (or kilo-, I forget which), but wrong about kilojoules per kwH, and his error betrayed a lack of fundamental understanding as would be present with any ordinary student of physics Learning to manipulate units, as I did (probably in high school) is basic to learning physics. I don't need to look up the number of kilojoules per kilowatt-hour, because it is totally obvious.

It is not 3526 (or whatever number he gave), it is 3600, because a joule is a watt-second, so the math is trivial:

1 watt = 1 joule/sec.
    1 kilowatt = 1 kilojoule/sec.
    multiplying power by time to get energy:
    1 kilowatt-hour = 1 kilojoule - hour/sec.
    Hours/seconds = 3600 (unitless constant)
    So 1 kilowatt-hour - 3600 kilojoules.

Rossi is obsessed, and obsession damages our understanding, badly. What was reported to him of what I wrote about his comment was badly distorted. I had not attacked him, just noted the "trope," i.e, the relatively idiosyncratic language. He had made other errors in other comments. He is not a decent science educator, but so what? He then went into a claim that the author had been paid. Had he read the original comment? Probably! In fact, it's like that the one who "reported" it to him was him.

I know that I wasn't paid. That is why I mentioned personal experience. He has no evidence that I've been paid to write about this situation, but he asserts it anyway. That is irresponsible. It might not be a lie, but would be the next thing to it.

If you want to claim that what he wrote was "spot on," that is your privilege, and it tells us much about you. Or you could actually engage on the issues. What was right and what was not? If you think it is all correct, well ....

I suppose there is not a huge difference between 3526 and 3600, eh? 1%. But one is complicated and one is simple.

• Official Post

Cool! How do you know this?

You'll have to trust me on this one. I will make a further prediction which it actually guesswork in part. But I'm not telling you which part. It is about something that currently seems impossible - and it may well be - courts are a lottery at times. Rossi has changed Lawyers to a practice with experience in technical matters in order to present -when the opportunity arises - technical proof that the 1MW plant is real and it works. This proof will (I think) be in the form of one or more totally independent replications of the technology by serious entities.

But we will have to wait and see what happens.

• That's a blanket statement, and hence a statement that is inherently incorrect.

In other words, it depends on the size of your chimney.

I do not think so. Unless the magic production machine is inside a giant Dewar vessel, it will radiate heat from the walls of the machine. Even if the chimney removes all of the heat from inside the machine, there will still be hundreds of kilowatts of waste heat from the walls. That would make the room intolerably hot, unless there were also hoods with fans.

In real life, there is no chimney, and no hoods, and no way you could have even 100 kW of heat released in this room without it becoming very hot. Also, it would be against the law in Florida to release even that much heat without approved ventilation.

• Rossi has changed Lawyers to a practice with experience in technical matters in order to present -when the opportunity arises - technical proof that the 1MW plant is real and it works. This proof will (I think) be in the form of one or more totally independent replications of the technology by serious entities.

If true, and Rossi delivers the goods in X months or years to the satisfaction of the court, perhaps he'll eventually draw the conclusion that it would have taken far less time and money simply to work with IH to collaboratively agree upon a rigorous test in the first place, rather than try to unilaterally push through a dubious test.

But we must wait for developments to hatch before counting them.

• kWh/h DOES appear to be widely used in Europe ... particularly in the power generation field.

eg https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWh/h (ggogle-translated)

kWh / h , or more commonly MWh / h , can be perceived as an anomaly , but is a term used by power producers to describe produced electric energy per hour, or "time effect". Similarly kilowatt (kW) expressing the energy produced per second, or "second impact" .

A graphic representation of the effect (instant production) to a power plant will have very rapid variations and will be hard to read. In a similar graph of MWh / h will be more able to see that the power requirement increases sharply in the morning hours and then fall slightly out of date forward to a new peak towards the afternoon.

• Official Post

You'll have to trust me on this one. I will make a further prediction which it actually guesswork in part. But I'm not telling you which part. It is about something that currently seems impossible - and it may well be - courts are a lottery at times. Rossi has changed Lawyers to a practice with experience in technical matters in order to present -when the opportunity arises - technical proof that the 1MW plant is real and it works. This proof will (I think) be in the form of one or more totally independent replications of the technology by serious entities.

I think you are making this up so Abd won't block you again. :)

• The max power production of a powerful car might be used just 10 seconds per day when getting on the freeway.

The max power production of Rossi's reactor might only have been used for very short periods of time when 1000 liters of water had to be heated to rinse metal foam. The foam production process might have only required a limited average daily BTU power production capability, but the user of that power might not have wanted to wait for a hour to get the rinse water up to proper temperature when he did need hot water.

This high capacity production method is the principle that high capacity tankless hot water heaters use. What Jed is assuming is that because you have a 800 hp engine, you must use 800 hp 100 percent of the time 24/7/365. What the license agreement said was that whenever steam was produced, its temperature had to be 100C and use just 25% of the energy that it would usually require to produce that steam (COP=4). There was no need for max power to be used 100% of the time, Jed's argument is wrong headed and contrived to befuddle the weak minded.

• @axil,
    Rossi and Penon are the ones who said the COP was 50 or more. They claimed the Plant was making 1 MWh, or sometimes 750 kWh, all day. Regardless what the GPT needed to be.
    If Rossi and Pennon's math or measurements are wrong, then they cannot prove a COP of 50, or a COP of 4.

Edit: OK, if only their math is wrong, then maybe something can be scavenged by doing it correctly.
    If the measurements are wrong, then the whole year was a waste of time.

• Rossi's first answer on this question on his blog was "endothermic chemical reaction," which is implausible because of the need to deal with product.

Rossi mentioned the chimney, almost in passing, before mentioning an endothermic chemical reaction, and before the issue of dissipating 1 MW of heat became a central criticism. The timing is important because it bolsters the chance that Rossi was telling the truth about the chimney.

• In real life, there is no chimney

This may well be true. I'm not sure, I haven't been. Have you?

I know there's Murray's statement, but there's a few things written in that which make me dubious of his motives. He is after all a paid consultant hoping to bolster his clients case in an upcoming lawsuit in which a lot of money is at stake.

He doesn't lie, but there are, I believe, some misdirections. The misrepresentation of the flow meter specs was an obvious one, the DN40 pipe is in my opinion, another... I mean, why would the "steam" pipe be thinner than the return pipe?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.