LENR vs Solar/Wind, and emerging Green Technologies.

• I am getting more pessimistic about green technologies.

I am sure that at some point this century we will no longer use fossil fuels, but the question is whether that is 20 years or 50 years.

We currently have no silver bullet.

Wind, solar, hydrogen, nuclear and current battery storage all have advantages and disadvantages.

But then oil and gas have advantages and disadvantages and have a geopolitical price as the US learned in 1973 and Europe learned in 2022.

Maybe modular nuclear reactors will help, if people don't mind a nuclear reactor in their area!

Maybe space based solar will be great, one day.

So when will our deficient, but improving, green energy technologies become good enough?

On the optimistic side Stanford engineering professor and renewable energy expert Mark Z Jacobson tweeted in 2023, “Given that scientists who study 100% renewable energy systems are unanimous that it can be done why do we hear daily on twitter and everywhere else by those who don’t study such systems that it can’t be done?

But if that is the case then why is the UK government pushing measures that are then scrapped or deemed failures?

There was the idea of replacing natural gas boilers with hydrogen boilers in homes, yes I know some on here think it is a feasible idea, but nonetheless the government then scrapped this due to "safety and cost concerns".

Then they had the great idea that we should give grants for people to install heat pumps into their homes. From what I have read these can only be installed in houses with enough spare space for the heat pump (so a minority of UK homes) and many have claimed their heat pumps do not sufficiently heat the water.

So is this clown show due to inept politicians, or are the green technologies just not currently up to the job?

On the pessimistic side Sabine Hossenfelder tweeted in December her view;

"Yes, our climate targets will fail because plans to meet them are mostly empty words.

They are slightly slowing down the developments though, so still better than nothing.

Of course we should keep on trying, and of course activists will keep on insisting the impossible is possible and then complain that no one is listening to them.

The reason all this climate talk goes nowhere is that most climate activists misidentify the source of the problem. It's not a technological problem -- we have known how to avoid climate change since we've learned of it. The problem is that we have no system to convert this knowledge into collective action. The only global system that we have to aggregate information and coordinate actions to use resources are free market economies. And for those to work, we'd have had to put a price on carbon dioxide emissions. Which we did not. So for several decades now we have witnessed meetings and demonstrations and countless opinion pieces that amounted to very little.

It is not hard to predict what is going to happen from here on because the default mode of humans is simply to keep on doing what they've been doing. This is why Carbon Capture and Storage and Carbon Dioxide Removal (eg BECCS) will become increasingly widespread -- because they'll allow nations to keep on doing what they're doing.

I see in my mentions that some people insist I must be dumb for not understanding that CCS and CDR are costly, ineffective, and unlikely to scale. Well, yes, I am so dumb that I said this in a video two years ago. I am not saying it's a good solution. I'm simply saying it's how it will go because it's the closest we can manage to a market for carbon.

And fossil fuel companies know this full well. And since that is very unlikely to keep global warming below 3 degrees, we'll end up doing stratospheric aerosol injections. Again, a stupid thing to do. I'm not saying we should do it. I am merely saying this is what I think will happen. Why? Because it's cheap and we know how to do it and the more we think about it, the more appealing it will look.

If you want to know what I think we should do, well, I've said this before. Expand solar, wind and most importantly nuclear, CCS on fossil fuel plants, upgrade the electric grids, and stop wasting money on nonsense, like for example those COP meetings…"

I read today, on the BBC;

In January, the Copernicus Climate Change Service is expected to confirm that 2023 was the hottest year globally. The above average temperatures have been likely driven in large part by climate change but also by the natural weather phenomenon El Niño.

It is not known for sure how long the El Niño will last but it is expected it will run through the first half of this year. This will likely also make 2024 the world's hottest on record, and push the world past the key 1.5C warming milestone.

So if we reach 1.5C in 2024 then the Paris Agreement has failed.

I do not agree with the extremist "Doomsters" and have no doubt that we will transition from fossil fuels, just as we transitioned from whale oil and candles.

As usual the richest will do well. The poorest will not do so well.

Of course if LENR comes through then that might be the silver bullet solution.

Here is hoping for good news in 2024.

• This might interest some of you – apologies if it has been posted before, it was new to me.

"If the first solar entrepreneur hadn’t been kidnapped, would fossil fuels have dominated the 20th century the way they did?"

If the first solar entrepreneur hadn't been kidnapped, would fossil fuels have dominated the 20th century the way they did?
    The 1909 incident may have cost the industry decades of progress – and the planet huge amounts of damaging carbon emissions.
    theconversation.com

• But if that is the case then why is the UK government pushing measures that are then scrapped or deemed failures?

There was the idea of replacing natural gas boilers with hydrogen boilers in homes, yes I know some on here think it is a feasible idea, but nonetheless the government then scrapped this due to "safety and cost concerns".

That always happens. Technology that looks good fails; technology that few people expect will work turns out to be great. Governments do a poor job predicting what will work, but so do corporations. There is always a risk.

Then they had the great idea that we should give grants for people to install heat pumps into their homes. From what I have read these can only be installed in houses with enough spare space for the heat pump (so a minority of UK homes)

They take up exactly as much space as a central air conditioner, with the fan unit outside. Perhaps there is not enough room for those things in the UK, but space is never a problem in the U.S. Here is a photo of one:

What's the Name of The Outdoor Part of a Heat Pump? - Energy Vanguard
    I was on a tour of passive house projects in Seattle a couple of days ago when someone asked me, “What do you call the outdoor part of a heat pump? The…
    www.energyvanguard.com

This one is wider than mine.

• Windmills don't have a large foot print? I'd say those windmills are sited too close together. You can't take energy out of the air stream without slowing it down, so the performance of a close downstream mill will be reduced. You can also affect microclimates.

The picture lies. GIMP or Photoshop composite.

• But if that is the case then why is the UK government pushing measures that are then scrapped or deemed failures?

Why do you repeat garbage issued by some brain dead UK politicians stuff fed by money??

This might interest some of you – apologies if it has been posted before, it was new to me.

This was plain fraud as there was no chance at that time to make a useful amount of electricity from solar except via steam. But most southern countries have roof top solar boilers that also work well in winter. Today you can reach temperatures up to 270C with best coatings or tube collectors for northern countries.

Of course there is a limit where the summer/winter solar balance exceeds about 1:3 what forces you to add a winter backup.

• "If the first solar entrepreneur hadn’t been kidnapped, would fossil fuels have dominated the 20th century the way they did?"

There's more to this story than you might think at first glance. It's apparently possible he accidentally created Schottky PV junctions in the Zinc-Antimony alloy he was using. It has some unusual crystal phases too:

http://tinyurl.com/mwrjbzu8

• They take up exactly as much space as a central air conditioner, with the fan unit outside. Perhaps there is not enough room for those things in the UK, but space is never a problem in the U.S.

Hi Jed, I would hazard that most people in the UK live in 100 year old terrace houses or 1960s blocks of flats or small council houses.

Even looking at detached houses, usually there is enough of a drive at the side for a car (UK car not a US truck) and a small garden at front and or back.

But yes I don't know how many would be suitable for heat pumps.

I am planning to move in the next few years and my next house I will be looking to have solar panels on the roof battery storage, as that combination seems to make the most sense. We did have have the prolonged British rain punctuated by a heat wave that broke some records. If that is going to become more common then I think I would prefer an air conditioner to a heat pump.

I would be interested to hear what you think about the comment from Sabine, are you more optimistic?

• There's more to this story than you might think at first glance.

Another account:

How to Build a Low-tech Solar Panel?
    George Cove, a forgotten solar power pioneer, may have built a highly efficient photovoltaic panel 40 years before Bell Labs engineers invented silicon cells.…
    solar.lowtechmagazine.com

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

• All heat pumps are reversible. They are all air conditioners in summer and heaters in winter.

This is true for heat pumps designed for air heating/cooling, but I have installed water heat pumps for temperate pools that come designed only to heat, nor cool, the water.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• This is true for heat pumps designed for air heating/cooling, but I have installed water heat pumps for temperate pools that come designed only to heat, nor cool, the water.

Yes, I meant HVAC ones.

I doubt anyone would want to cool a pool. Maybe they would! Just cover it . . .

There are heat pumps and air conditioners that work with ground water instead of air. They are a lot quieter and more efficient, but they cost a lot.

• I live in the UK in a modernish 4 bed detached house. That heat pump unit Jed distributed would take up about one fifth of my (precious) back garden space. No thanks.

• I live in the UK in a modernish 4 bed detached house. That heat pump unit Jed distributed would take up about one fifth of my (precious) back garden space. No thanks.

It is true the U.S. external units are big. I have an old one, 30" x 35" (0.7 m^2). Not only that, but you are supposed to cut back shrubbery around 2 feet around them. They have wall mounted and others with a smaller footprint in Japan:

ACiQ 2 Ton 19.4 SEER Ducted Central Air Inverter Heat Pump Split System
    ACiQ's Central Series split systems give you the latest intelligent heat pump technology and superior comfort, all at a reasonable cost. The ACiQ single zone…
    hvacdirect.com

Space is also at a premium in Japanese urban areas. Not in the countryside.

• Around here heat pumps use ground loops or well water, which comes out of the ground at 48 degrees F. I installed a water based one in my first house. That required testing the water supply by running it at full force for 14 hours. The flow rate remained at 11 gallons per minute, an excellent rate. The unit was new, but the compressor failed shortly. Fortunately, the unit was still under warranty. After the house was sold the compressor failed again, so the technology was not yet mature, as the compressor can easily be protected against refrigerant contamination of the oil.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.