Electrical Breakdown Spots. LENR related phenomena?

• This thread created to allow discussion of the interesting paper posted by Ahlfors in the Media/News thread.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/att…ical-breakdown-spots-pdf/

The paper argues that the electrical energy input is insufficient to explain the cratering, and wonders which is the secondary phenomenon from where the supplementary energy required to form the craters might come, and leaves the question open for its potential relationship to “Cold Fusion”.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Curbina

Changed the title of the thread from “Electrical Breakdown Spots. An LENR related phenomena?” to “Electrical Breakdown Spots. LENR related phenomena?”.
  • Just wanted to point out that it might not be immediately apparent that the authors apply a voltage across a 200 nm Al2O3 thin film sandwiched between metallic films as electrodes (though it is not entirely clear to me which is the anode. Is it the top one?). The applied electric field is in the order of a few MV/cm.

When they used a palladium film top electrode, a much larger number of craters is observed. Since Pd absorbs hydrogen, it's suggested that hydrogen explosion events might be involved, and a possible link to the 'supposed' cold fusion (citing the original Fleischmann-Pons experiments) is proposed.

The conclusions:

Convenience link to paywalled paper: https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2020.008526

• The craters reported in the recent paper are comparatively very small,

The authors postulated hydrogen explosions.. does this mean combustion?

¬10 microns wide by ¬ 0.5 microns deep .. a very small volume is vaporised .

70x10(-8) Joules needed to vaporise the solid material

based on rough calculation there doesn't seem to be enough hydrogen..

The material would have had to have absorbed 200 x its own volume of hydrogen

Silicon has a vaporisation temperature of >3000C..

Minute focussed hydrogen explosions...??? .. producing 3000C?

the materials were exposed to almost vacuum conditions and then exposed to ambient air.

Where would enough hydrogen come from...

I guess this is why the authors talked vaguely of hydrogen explosions/ cold fusion.

• That’s why this is interesting, precisely.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.